Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can't remember now I think about it. I might well have made that up or be confusing it with something else. Sorry.

I recall this too...

...but that means it was definitely mentioned prior to 2003, probably the third edition codex. This one. It may have been mentioned elsewhere since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
All right, thanks! I was planning to get The Saint tonight and thought maybe I could get Sabbat Worlds on top of it, but I'll hold out on that one.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I am thinking that the answer to my question is a resounding "no" but do any Black Library ebooks ever go on sale? I'd love to pick up the Eisenhorn and Gaunt books, but the asking price seems awfully high.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A Great Company is like 1,000 marines strong, yeah, which makes it even loving dumber that the Inquistion would give a poo poo about Black Templars who a; basically undertake nothing but penitence crusades and poo poo and b; hate psykers, where Space Wolves are known assholes with a mutated geneseed and are likely only protected due to their status as a First Founding chapter.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I am thinking that the answer to my question is a resounding "no" but do any Black Library ebooks ever go on sale? I'd love to pick up the Eisenhorn and Gaunt books, but the asking price seems awfully high.

Get the individual novels from Amazon and for less than half the price of the omnibus. You'll sadly have to skip the short stories though.

Novels in order are Xenos, Malleus, and Hereticus.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Eh from all the SW novels that have been released there's never been anything said that they're not more than just "bigger" than a normal chapter company. Never read that old SW codex though.

edit:
Also are any of these SM 1k shorts from the BL website any good? The only one of these tiny shorts i've enjoyed was the Abnett Iron Snakes short where it was about Priad going ham on some orks, where he really nailed how badass marines should be.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 11, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

A Great Company is like 1,000 marines strong, yeah, which makes it even loving dumber that the Inquistion would give a poo poo about Black Templars who a; basically undertake nothing but penitence crusades and poo poo and b; hate psykers, where Space Wolves are known assholes with a mutated geneseed and are likely only protected due to their status as a First Founding chapter.

The Space Wolves are pretty much superheroes though. Only the Salamanders and maybe the Ultramarines are more dependably good guys, because the first founding chapters are still the same defenders of humanity they were during the Crusade (unlike new chapters which are symptomatic of the degradation of the Imperium). The Black Templars have nothing even remotely resembling limits.

It does come up in ADB's stuff that the Inquisition doesn't really like how much the Space Wolves tell them to suck it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wiegieman posted:

The Space Wolves are pretty much superheroes though. Only the Salamanders and maybe the Ultramarines are more dependably good guys, because the first founding chapters are still the same defenders of humanity they were during the Crusade (unlike new chapters which are symptomatic of the degradation of the Imperium). The Black Templars have nothing even remotely resembling limits.

It does come up in ADB's stuff that the Inquisition doesn't really like how much the Space Wolves tell them to suck it.

As far as I can tell the Space Wolves are just the major "anti-Ultramarine" chapter with little else going for them other then being allowed to disregard the Codex due to their first founding status. I guess their legion size at the end of the Heresy was 12-13k, because each 'great company' is a chapter by any other name, or Russ took a shitload of Wolves with him when he left. The most recent mention of them in GW world events is committing forces to the 3rd Armageddon War and their whole chapter to the 13th crusade.

There's the Space Wolves novel series from 2 authors I've never heard of, and the W40k cites a couple of short stories and novels, including one by C.S Goto. I keep seeing the Night Lords trilogy brought up as being fantastic, is there anything focusing on the Space Wolves of similar quality? I'm getting bored to death from reading the first few HH books and constantly hearing how rigid and stalwart all the loyalists are.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The major factor would probably be having the closest thing to a Primarch left in any Space Marine chapter, Bjorn, who's actual presence is enough to shock the Grey Knights/Inquisition into calming the gently caress down.

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder how many Space Marines other than Bjorn remember the Imperial Truth.

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable backlash in the HH novels the Emperor will get from the Primarchs as the Heresy unfolds and they realize the 'Imperial Truth' is bullshit and he didn't tell any of them (except Magnos) that evil warp gods existed and that during the crusade the Legions would face demonic horrors of madness, plague, and deception yet know nothing of them or how to combat them because of reasons.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 11, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

pentyne posted:

As far as I can tell the Space Wolves are just the major "anti-Ultramarine" chapter with little else going for them other then being allowed to disregard the Codex due to their first founding status.
People need to remember that marines are not "allowed" to do anything. They are semi-independent nations unto themselves and Imperium has to tread carefully with them lest they invoke ancient pacts with other chapters or just get huffy at too much attention and decide to stop helping out when asked or even band together to defend one another.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

Which was nothing more than 'there are no gods, only science and reason that make the sun rise, the tides go out, etc.' right?

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Protons posted:

Which was nothing more than 'there are no gods, only science and reason that make the sun rise, the tides go out, etc.' right?

AFAIK, yes. As someone mentioned earlier, I'm really looking forward to how the Emperor rationalises his way out of this massive lie in the HH series.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm a bit confused about the part in A Thousand Sons where Magnus meets the Emperor in astral form. Did he actually deliver his warning? I think they shared a brief mind-link.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

pentyne posted:

There's the Space Wolves novel series from 2 authors I've never heard of, and the W40k cites a couple of short stories and novels, including one by C.S Goto. I keep seeing the Night Lords trilogy brought up as being fantastic, is there anything focusing on the Space Wolves of similar quality? I'm getting bored to death from reading the first few HH books and constantly hearing how rigid and stalwart all the loyalists are.
There is nothing on the level of the Night Lords trilogy. Nothing.

But, you might like the old Ragnar Blackmane SW series by William King. It's a little cheesy (it's pretty old) but it isn't terrible. You can either begin with Space Wolf (the first novel) or the first collection The Space Wolf Omnibus. Battle of the Fang gets a lot of love around here as well, and is a standalone novel.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm a bit confused about the part in A Thousand Sons where Magnus meets the Emperor in astral form. Did he actually deliver his warning? I think they shared a brief mind-link.

Nah, I seem to recall he* just took off with his tail between his legs when he saw the look the Emperor gave him, plus all the damage he'd caused.

edit*= He, not you.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 11, 2013

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
quote isn't edit...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This bugs me because in Prospero Burns it suggests that Magnus did manage to convey a warning about Horus (which Leman Russ dismisses as a stupid lie).

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

This bugs me because in Prospero Burns it suggests that Magnus did manage to convey a warning about Horus (which Leman Russ dismisses as a stupid lie).

I don't remember that part exactly. He got a warning to the Emperor, or he got a warning to Russ?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Russ is discussing Magnus' crime with one of his aides. His aide is like if Magnus was willing to risk the Emperor's wrath to warn us about Horus, should we at least give him the benefit of the doubt? and Russ in turn is all Magnus made that poo poo up so that he could validate his use of sorcery.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Well, in fairness, since they're both super-psychers, they may have exchanged a lot more then looks in that moment. I just don't think the Emperor cared what he had to say in that moment. Magnus had just hosed up. Bad.

I think Russ's reaction is still appropriate though. He's under the impression that Magnus is being corrupted by the sorcery he was explicitly told to stop dabbling in. He got his message, but ignored it because he thought he was trying to shift blame or was already corrupted.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Russ was really saying "I love my work and I've wanted to smack my dorkwad brother for years now, so I'm not listening to you la la la."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Somebody post that quote about Magnus being that son that hangs around with motorcycle gangs, Horus being the son you're grooming to take over the company, and one day Magnus bursts into the boardroom on a motorcycle claiming Horus is joining a gang.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Eh, that may be putting words or intent into his mouth. I don't think he loves being the guy who has to put his brothers in line. He just accepts his place in life.

Magnus was doing something bad. for all his intentions, he was dabbling in the warp, which led to very bad things for him and his legion. He should have stopped when he was ordered, but his hubris was to great. Yeah, the Emperor hosed up by not telling Magnus what he was getting into, but there is no guarantee that that wouldn't spur Magnus on even further. Also, remember that it is heavily implied Magnus was already making deals with the ruinous powers. He was corrupted. He did need to be dealt with, even if the authors did a good job of making you feel for and understand his plight.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

TheStampede posted:

Eh, that may be putting words or intent into his mouth. I don't think he loves being the guy who has to put his brothers in line. He just accepts his place in life.

I can't remember which book, but I'm sure there's an exchange between a couple of primarchs where they say that Russ was against sanctioning Magnus at Nikea, which apparently came as a surprise. It was part of the hint that Russ was used to wipe out the missing primarchs and he didn't like going down that road.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I knew something was off in the first chapter of A Thousand Sons when all the Thousand Son legionnaires were using "tutelaries" to focus their powers and I thought to myself, "Welp, those are daemons, they're already tainted and don't even know it..."

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can't remember now I think about it. I might well have made that up or be confusing it with something else. Sorry.

I have only seen it mentioned that they have 130 guys in a company rather than 100 or something similar, though I also haven't personally read any new codices.

Then again dumb poo poo like legion size SW is why I don't read the new ones.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 11, 2013

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Is it ever explicitly stated that the Emperor actually knew all about chaos and the warp? I was thinking about it, and maybe we're all just operating under the assumption that he was hiding the true nature of things from everyone, and couldn't have not known what was up. Because, you know, he's the Big E and all. Maybe the chaos gods were pulling one over on him as well?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
He hid the primarch project behind a geller field... On earth. The only reason to do that is to keep out any chaos interference. When the field went down, the primarchs were scattered across the galaxy.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think it has been fairly established that he's known about the Chaos powers for a long time, and even possibly collaborated with them in the creation of the primarches. Then he renegged on some deal and that is why they scattered them around the galaxy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What would the Emperor offer Chaos in return for their help though? What does he have that they want?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Demiurge4 posted:

What would the Emperor offer Chaos in return for their help though? What does he have that they want?

Potential control over humanity?

Plus it was chaos saying the emperor reneged on a deal, and chaos is full of lying assholes.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The Emperor should have been suspicious that the Chaos Gods chose to spare the baby Primarchs rather than throw them into a star or something. In retrospect it's easy to say that it was to make them more vulnerable to corruption by not letting the Emperor raise them in his image, but I think the Big E should have been on his guard.

pentyne posted:

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable backlash in the HH novels the Emperor will get from the Primarchs as the Heresy unfolds and they realize the 'Imperial Truth' is bullshit and he didn't tell any of them (except Magnos) that evil warp gods existed and that during the crusade the Legions would face demonic horrors of madness, plague, and deception yet know nothing of them or how to combat them because of reasons.
Speaking of which, how did the Emperor explain to the Primarchs why his sons grew up on scattered worlds rather than on Terra with Him? He can't just say "random Warp poo poo happened."

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 11, 2013

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I think it has been fairly established that he's known about the Chaos powers for a long time, and even possibly collaborated with them in the creation of the primarches. Then he renegged on some deal and that is why they scattered them around the galaxy.

I realize it's, "been fairly established" but where originally, and from who's perspective? I know this is all wild conjecture, but what if he was getting led on by some half-truth/lie fed to him over all (of his) eternity? I mean, he is up against the god of pulling the long con, and apparently had some sort of backroom deal with them. Maybe he was just as corrupted and blind as Magnus all along.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yes, I forgot to say that all that information was from someone corrupted by Chaos, so it could be all lies and bullshit. I think it was in the First Heretic when there is a flashback to the Emperor's lab and then all that is explained. Hopefully we get the actual facts in the new Master of Mankind book out next year.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Some of the older fluff suggests that the Emperor is actually older than the Chaos Gods. Also maybe his soul might be too powerful to be corrupted (or at least possessed).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Yes, I forgot to say that all that information was from someone corrupted by Chaos, so it could be all lies and bullshit. I think it was in the First Heretic when there is a flashback to the Emperor's lab and then all that is explained. Hopefully we get the actual facts in the new Master of Mankind book out next year.

Is that out next year? I thought ADB had Talon of Horus as his 2014 annual book, and unremembered empire as the 2014 HH novel

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Speaking of ADB, he just mentioned on his twitter that he's writing a new short story about First Claw. :allears:

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
God drat, ADB is just writing everything right now, isn't he? I love that he's kinda become the new unofficial rising star of 40k literature, but I hope they aren't burning him out by demanding so much at once!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I remember someone saying ADB was writing a story about the Sisters of Battle. Was that a rumor or is it in the works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

One Legged Cat posted:

God drat, ADB is just writing everything right now, isn't he? I love that he's kinda become the new unofficial rising star of 40k literature, but I hope they aren't burning him out by demanding so much at once!

From his blog, I think he was trying to get more work and write more since he's got a baby to support. He used to do a book a year so I'm glad we'll get more to read.

Baron Bifford posted:

The Emperor should have been suspicious that the Chaos Gods chose to spare the baby Primarchs rather than throw them into a star or something. In retrospect it's easy to say that it was to make them more vulnerable to corruption by not letting the Emperor raise them in his image, but I think the Big E should have been on his guard.

Speaking of which, how did the Emperor explain to the Primarchs why his sons grew up on scattered worlds rather than on Terra with Him? He can't just say "random Warp poo poo happened."

I don't think the Emperor is the sort of person you can really expect an honest answer from. Saying 'it was a warp accident' wouldn't be too far from the truth.