Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

kid sinister posted:

No dice. I still can't get it to turn the corner, clockwise or counterclockwise.

Not much more I can advice you other then calling a rooter company. Are you sure you are hitting a 90 and not the clog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Not much more I can advice you other then calling a rooter company. Are you sure you are hitting a 90 and not the clog?

Very sure it's not the clog. I can put all 25' of my thin snake down the cleanout without any resistance and still not reach the clog, but I can only put about 15' of my fat snake down the same cleanout.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
Bought a 1940's era house last month and working on setting up "modern conveniences" like a washing machine. The previous owner must have ran a pipe out the window because there are no drains anywhere...

The supply lines are a piece of cake, drain lines are something I've not tackled in the past so want to make sure I got it right.

The PVC running next to the beam down into the cast is existing 2" that was done recently. It runs from the kitchen sink and is vented under sink with a AIV. I cut into that line and installed the wye and everything connected to the right.

The first vertical pipe off the wye with the 2" female thread adapter on top will be for an AIV. It's on order and will be installed today.
I am pretty sure I installed the sanitary T for the vent backwards - is that a big deal?

The sink works fine, no leaks anywhere... I think I did everything right and to code. Goons?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dirty Beluga posted:

Bought a 1940's era house last month and working on setting up "modern conveniences" like a washing machine. The previous owner must have ran a pipe out the window because there are no drains anywhere...

No floor drain for the washer? How about a sump?

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

No floor drain for the washer? How about a sump?

House has neither, only drain is that red cast iron pipe running to the cesspool outside. Would love to have a floor drain at some point but it'd be a lot of work.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dirty Beluga posted:

House has neither, only drain is that red cast iron pipe running to the cesspool outside. Would love to have a floor drain at some point but it'd be a lot of work.

Do you have central AC or a humidifier? Where does that drain to? Condensate pump?

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Do you have central AC or a humidifier? Where does that drain to? Condensate pump?

Nope! all hydronic heating so no need for the humidifier, I don't think they had central air when the place was built.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Dirty Beluga posted:

The PVC running next to the beam down into the cast is existing 2" that was done recently. It runs from the kitchen sink and is vented under sink with a AIV. I cut into that line and installed the wye and everything connected to the right.

The first vertical pipe off the wye with the 2" female thread adapter on top will be for an AIV. It's on order and will be installed today.
I am pretty sure I installed the sanitary T for the vent backwards - is that a big deal?

Be careful with using an AIV. It's always a good source for sewer odor smells. They will eventually leak. So watch out for that.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So you put in a drain for a washing machine up near the ceiling joists?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Why would you run a washing machine into a condensate pump. It's a suds producing fixture. The amount of foam that would come out of a standard one would be insane. If you did a large sump pump (trash can size ) then it would work. It's not code per say but you did it as close as you could with what you had. If you put the drain up to high the head pressure of the drain itself will cause the washing machine to mess up its pump.

edit: Oh and the T on its back is illegal for the vent pipe, and its backwards. It will work but it should have been a wye per UPC. But you are most likely under a different code.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lenins Potato posted:

Be careful with using an AIV. It's always a good source for sewer odor smells. They will eventually leak. So watch out for that.
Understood, I plan on ordering an extra to have on hand when it fails - they just became legal around here for older homes without proper venting.

kid sinister posted:

So you put in a drain for a washing machine up near the ceiling joists?
Yeah... the main waste line comes through the wall waist height so I didn't have many options save for installing a pump or putting the washer on the 1st floor - both options I am unwilling to explore. Anecdotal but two of the previous places I lived in had them up high similar to this and it never caused an issue.

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

edit: Oh and the T on its back is illegal for the vent pipe, and its backwards. It will work but it should have been a wye per UPC. But you are most likely under a different code.
I know the T is backwards... noticed I messed up as soon as I glued and slid it on :bang: I'm having a hard time visualizing how this could be done with a wye instead of the T - could you elaborate?

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I posted about this a while back, but it seems to have gotten lost.

I've got an upstairs shower with a Tuscany fixture/cartridge in it that isn't producing any hot water. Cold is fine and the hot water works in every other fixture in the house. All the shut-offs I have access to are open. There's no access panel or anything behind it either.

When I take the faceplate off, there are two flat-head screws(bolts?) on either side of the pipe the cartridge is in. They are sticking out a bit with the heads oriented horizontally.

I just had a plumber do about $6k of work replacing a hot water heater and a boiler and I'd rather not have to call him again. I've already replaced the cartridge with no change in the water.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Gray Stormy posted:

I posted about this a while back, but it seems to have gotten lost.

I've got an upstairs shower with a Tuscany fixture/cartridge in it that isn't producing any hot water. Cold is fine and the hot water works in every other fixture in the house. All the shut-offs I have access to are open. There's no access panel or anything behind it either.

When I take the faceplate off, there are two flat-head screws(bolts?) on either side of the pipe the cartridge is in. They are sticking out a bit with the heads oriented horizontally.

I just had a plumber do about $6k of work replacing a hot water heater and a boiler and I'd rather not have to call him again. I've already replaced the cartridge with no change in the water.

Either there's a shutoff somewhere for that hot water, or you have a blockage. I realize it's at a bad angle, but turn the water off and pull out that cartridge again. Can you see anything in the back plugging up the hot water opening?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Is there a method for identifying pipes (cast iron) under the foundation without breaking up the floor and putting eyes on them?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Is there a method for identifying pipes (cast iron) under the foundation without breaking up the floor and putting eyes on them?

What do you mean by identify?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

You can contact a utility locator. If the lines are all metal, it's usually easy to trace out. The price might be a little higher than you want. I'd expect $200+ since a lot of those guys have minimums.

Are you wanting to trace out domestic water, hot, cold? Sewer? Also, why do you nee them traced out?

Lenins Potato fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 11, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Magnets?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
I want to locate sewage lines so i can better decide where to add a bathroom in the basement.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
They'll probably have to run a camera with a sonde down a pulled toilet. They'll be able to locate the sonde and the camera will let you know how it's put together. It's a little bit more involved than a simple locate, but most utility locators will be able to do it.

Also, difficulty increases depending on how many turns you have to make. What kind of reel they have. Length of the line.

edit: Oh, also depth will be a factor if you have cast iron. The sondes have trouble with cast iron. So if it's deeper than say, 7 or 10 feet. But I'd hope your sewer wasn't that deep below the basement.

Lenins Potato fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 12, 2013

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Dirty Beluga posted:

I know the T is backwards... noticed I messed up as soon as I glued and slid it on :bang: I'm having a hard time visualizing how this could be done with a wye instead of the T - could you elaborate?

Take a Wye and put a 45 and it makes it a combination fitting. It basically has a better sweep to it. The thing shouldn't cause any problems for you so I wouldn't stress to much.

Wouldn't hurt to throw a clean out in the kitchen line.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I decided to try to blow out the lines. I took the cartridge out and turned on the mains and water, both hot at cold, came gushing out of the mixer valve. After shutting the water back off I noticed another cartridge sitting in the tub.

I figure this is my culprit as it is full of all kinds of poo poo. I cant just put everything back together though. When it was pushed out of the pipe a clip that holds it together broke off. When I tried to put everything back together, the water just stays on, regardless of the position of the shower handle.

Since its now almost 10PM and there are no open plumbing stores, can I just tighten down the bolt/screws on the supply lines to effectively turn the water off to the shower?

Id just leave the whole thing shut down, but my wife immediately started going on about things like brushing teeth and washing hair.

EDIT: looks like I actually mean balancer(?)

Gray Stormy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 13, 2013

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Gray Stormy posted:

I decided to try to blow out the lines. I took the cartridge out and turned on the mains and water, both hot at cold, came gushing out of the mixer valve. After shutting the water back off I noticed another cartridge sitting in the tub.

I figure this is my culprit as it is full of all kinds of poo poo. I cant just put everything back together though. When it was pushed out of the pipe a clip that holds it together broke off. When I tried to put everything back together, the water just stays on, regardless of the position of the shower handle.

Since its now almost 10PM and there are no open plumbing stores, can I just tighten down the bolt/screws on the supply lines to effectively turn the water off to the shower?

Id just leave the whole thing shut down, but my wife immediately started going on about things like brushing teeth and washing hair.

EDIT: looks like I actually mean balancer(?)

Can you post a picture of it.Since all valves are different. And I would be able to help further.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

This was before I flushed out the second cartridge

The screws I keep talking about are on each side.

When I said that the water just stays on, I mean at almost full pressure. There's no change regardless of where the handle is.

Gray Stormy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 13, 2013

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Crisis averted! Turns out that second cartridge is a balance valve cartridge. I bought a new one today, popped it in and everything is great!

Im really glad the plumber I called never called me back.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I dropped the springy rod that holds the toilet paper roll into the toilet while it was flushing. The toilet sucked it right down. I have reached in there as far as I can with a rubber glove and don't feel anything. Is it possible that it is stuck somewhere, or could it have been carried away without issue???

The toilet seems to flush ok.... :/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I dropped the springy rod that holds the toilet paper roll into the toilet while it was flushing. The toilet sucked it right down. I have reached in there as far as I can with a rubber glove and don't feel anything. Is it possible that it is stuck somewhere, or could it have been carried away without issue???

The toilet seems to flush ok.... :/

That depends on entirely on the condition of your drains. Still, flushing a toilet spring down a 3-4" pipe shouldn't catch on anything. It won't cause a clog by itself, but enough toilet paper flushed afterward could catch on it to make a clog, but toilet paper can do that all by itself without a spring. As for the long term, don't worry. Spring steel rusts. With a steel wire that thin, it should eventually rust away to nothing soon.

If it catches on anything, it might catch on the opening on the bottom side of the toilet. One time I had a... feminine hygiene device still in its plastic wrapper catch juuuust right on the exit on the toilet bottom before. That thing was about the same size and shape as your spring, but unlike your spring it wouldn't decay away.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 13, 2013

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kid sinister posted:

That depends on entirely on the condition of your drains. Still, flushing a toilet spring down a 3-4" pipe shouldn't catch on anything. It won't cause a clog by itself, but enough toilet paper flushed afterward could catch on it to make a clog, but toilet paper can do that all by itself without a spring. As for the long term, don't worry. Spring steel rusts. With a steel wire that thin, it should eventually rust away to nothing soon.

If it catches on anything, it might catch on the opening on the bottom side of the toilet. One time I had a... feminine hygiene device still in its plastic wrapper catch juuuust right on the exit on the toilet bottom before. That thing was about the same size and shape as your spring, but unlike your spring it wouldn't decay away.

Haha, no, the entire ~6 inch wood dowel went down there.... I wish it was just a spring :/

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Have you flushed anything down besides water?

Seems like a clog waiting to happen. Ugh, that's going to be bad.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd say pull the toilet and see if it's stuck in a trap somewhere. I doubt that it's flexible enough to fit through the trap.

I wonder if it's hiding under the lip at the bottom of the bowl.. FLush a few times pull up a glove and see what you can find.. if nothing.. Pull the toilet and see what you can find.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

I'd say pull the toilet and see if it's stuck in a trap somewhere. I doubt that it's flexible enough to fit through the trap.

I wonder if it's hiding under the lip at the bottom of the bowl.. FLush a few times pull up a glove and see what you can find.. if nothing.. Pull the toilet and see what you can find.

Another trick is if you can't see or reach anything, then carry the toilet outside and stick a garden hose up either end. See if you can flush it out.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Another trick is if you can't see or reach anything, then carry the toilet outside and stick a garden hose up either end. See if you can flush it out.

Shop vac works decently too.

Edit: spelling

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 16, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd prefer to do it in the garden than the back of the shop :haw:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it normal for a sewage drain pipe to run in between a wall? Like the pipe itself its up against the drywall on both sides so it barely fits. If you were to hang a picture, for example, you'd pierce the sewage pipe.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Is it normal for a sewage drain pipe to run in between a wall? Like the pipe itself its up against the drywall on both sides so it barely fits. If you were to hang a picture, for example, you'd pierce the sewage pipe.

For the most part. It's kind of common to see drain and vent pipes being hit by nails and screws. I know one guy who puts some silicone on his screws because of some bad luck with that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FogHelmut posted:

3" drain pipes are common, as are 2x4 walls. The O.D. of 3" DWV is 3.5 inches, the same width as a 2x4, so the drywall touches on both sides. If your vent stack goes to 4", then you get a 6" wall, and there's a little bit of wiggle room, but still definitely in range of nails and screws and stuff.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Well most 2x4 are 1.5x3.5 so putting a 3" abs pipe in it would be the entire removal of that section of 2x4. So you should always use a 2x6. Now while putting silicon on a screw to seal it if it hits a pipe sounds good. You don't want a screw in the pipe to catch "poo poo" literally.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 18, 2013

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Today I got to dig a nice whole about 8ft by 2ft so I could find out where the leak was in my front yard. A section of the yard was a swamp for the last month. I expected a failed fitting, but nope that wasn't it. The supply line for the house ruptured about 3 inches from an elbow and was saturating the soil. The idiots who did the plumbing also did the sprinkler system and decided to lay 2 sprinkler pipes directly on top of the supply line. Ended up having to splice one of them because I nicked it cutting the supply line. At least that's fixed.

Now I just have to refill the trench tomorrow. Oh the joy of home ownership.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ShadowStalker posted:

Today I got to dig a nice whole about 8ft by 2ft so I could find out where the leak was in my front yard. A section of the yard was a swamp for the last month. I expected a failed fitting, but nope that wasn't it. The supply line for the house ruptured about 3 inches from an elbow and was saturating the soil. The idiots who did the plumbing also did the sprinkler system and decided to lay 2 sprinkler pipes directly on top of the supply line. Ended up having to splice one of them because I nicked it cutting the supply line. At least that's fixed.

Now I just have to refill the trench tomorrow. Oh the joy of home ownership.

That's... odd. What material was your supply line made from that it burst? Or did the sprinkler guys do it by accident?

As an aside in general, where exactly is the demarcation point for utility water?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
City side always starts on their side of the meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

kid sinister posted:

That's... odd. What material was your supply line made from that it burst? Or did the sprinkler guys do it by accident?

As an aside in general, where exactly is the demarcation point for utility water?

It was a 1" PVC supply line. It was at the bottom of the pipe, so it wasn't causes when they installed the sprinkler lines (same time as they installed the supply line probably. It looks like it got hot on the bottom and swelled up. It's strange looking, never seen PVC do that before, looks almost like it has stretch marks. There was a 5 inch section that was discolored on the bottom and was slightly swollen looking. I cut off about a foot extra and replaced the elbow and a foot on the other side just to be on the safe side.