Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sinking Ship posted:

I see. I guess I'll go ahead and try for a chargeback then.

As others have said that may have some downsides. I only included it as a really last-case scenario, as it seems in your mother's case $40 might be relevant.

Only try it after you try for a refund, and only if it's denied and where you live has some consumer protection in this instance.

It might help to include some stats about the junk computer. There might be some hope for it, but that's leaving the scope of this thread some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I just meant I wasn't aware just charging the card back was an option. Of course I advised my mom to go beg their customer support to refund her before anything else. Maybe I should see about getting her another copy of Windows 7 too if Vista is as terrible as you all make it out to be. At any rate thanks for all the advice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You might be able to get an upgrade from Vista for cheaper than buying Win7 outright, but I don't know what the current advice is (or whether you should go for 8 or something)

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

just got a thinkpad x201s. great machine, even with vista it boots in about 7 seconds. I just hate vista.

still waiting on payday here but I'd rather have Windows 7 than 8. Can I download an ISO from digital river and carry the vista license forward to the 7 pro upgrade? or would I need to get a new license for 7 at a hefty price? I mean, I am tempted by windows 8 but metro and touchscreen crap make me want to vomit.

I would just put debian on it as I do with all my other machines, but the battery life is too good to throw away when I don't actually need a perfect OS.

wanda fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 19, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

wanda posted:

just got a thinkpad x201s. great machine, even with vista it boots in about 7 seconds. I just hate vista.

still waiting on payday here but I'd rather have Windows 7 than 8. Can I download an ISO from digital river and carry the vista license forward to the 7 pro upgrade? or would I need to get a new license for 7 at a hefty price? I mean, I am tempted by windows 8 but metro and touchscreen crap make me want to vomit.

I would just put debian on it as I do with all my other machines, but the battery life is too good to throw away when I don't actually need a perfect OS.

If you can't stand Metro UI, get 'Classic Shell' or one of the other Start Screen replacements. You can bypass the Metro UI completely with Classic Shell and just use Windows 8 as Windows 7+. As far as I know, it'll be cheaper to buy Windows 7 standalone rather than as an upgrade option.

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

If you can't stand Metro UI, get 'Classic Shell' or one of the other Start Screen replacements. You can bypass the Metro UI completely with Classic Shell and just use Windows 8 as Windows 7+. As far as I know, it'll be cheaper to buy Windows 7 standalone rather than as an upgrade option.

hmm, ok. I'm hoping that's just a patch and not some background program that I have to have running all the time.

does anyone know of any hardware issues with older thinkpads and windows 8 before I take the plunge?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

wanda posted:

hmm, ok. I'm hoping that's just a patch and not some background program that I have to have running all the time.

does anyone know of any hardware issues with older thinkpads and windows 8 before I take the plunge?

It's a background program. It uses less than one 1MB of RAM if that is your concern. It's lighter than most programs. If you're a student, you can get an upgrade for $70 rather than the $90 standalone versions. (Windows 7 Home Premium also costs $90 by the way.)

As far as hardware goes, Lenovo is offering drivers and BIOS updates for Windows 8, so maybe that is not a problem. I don't have that laptop, so I don't know 'bout any problem.

edit: Win8 Capable Laptops

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 20, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Winzip has commercial contracts and I know because we have a backwards system that uses it. You're absolutely right that you're not computer literate.

Go download crystal disk mark and see what your drive performance is like. It's not impossible that the drive is just shot and has really slow transfer rates. Also if you have Vista you will need at least 2GB of ram (it will tell you this in task manager) for it to run not completely awful.

http://crystalmark.info/software/index-e.html

A slow disk will cripple a computer and no amount of software will solve that problem. If it truly is vista era (2006) you can pick up an modern 320gb SATA drive for about $40-50 which will be double the speed of the old drive (when new).

Although really you could just pick up a Thinkpad 410 for like, $175 and be done with it. You can't put lipstick on a pig and any amount of money you put in to that POS will be wasted.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

I hope this is a good place to ask this question :ohdear:

I just bought an HP Slate 500. A terrible idea? Probably! But the price was right and I needed a classroom/light office work laptop to replace my ancient netbook that was $250 new in 2008 and I find tablets to be :krad:. It runs Windows 7, but it only has 2GB of RAM and the CPU is long in the tooth as well. The good news is, I'm only using it for notes and surfing the web.

However, since I want the most bang for my buck, does anyone have any suggestions for a good, lightweight web browser? Firefox can quickly gobble up a ton of resources, would Chrome be better? Or a browser I haven't heard of?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You, my friend, is need of Lynx.

You can try Slimboat or Internet Explorer if Firefox is slow for you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any reason my laptop's wifi should cut out (icon shows no available networks, even though there should be at least a few in range) while it's defragging?

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Why are there no good desktop Twitter clients for Windows? The Mac has plenty of good looking apps with tons of features. I can't find anything worth a drat for Windows. I want a nice looking app that shows inline previews and syncs with Tweetmarker. It seems that nothing like that exists.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gnomedolf posted:

Why are there no good desktop Twitter clients for Windows? The Mac has plenty of good looking apps with tons of features. I can't find anything worth a drat for Windows. I want a nice looking app that shows inline previews and syncs with Tweetmarker. It seems that nothing like that exists.

I've been using MetroTwit for Desktop for a long time and haven't found anything better.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gnomedolf posted:

Every time someone out-innovates Twitter, they pull their API licence. They have a well established record of doing this.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hadlock posted:

Every time someone out-innovates Twitter, they pull their API licence. They have a well established record of doing this.

Found out this recently due to my boss cursing over a twitter feed breaking on a website he maintains.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

Maneki Neko posted:

I've been using MetroTwit for Desktop for a long time and haven't found anything better.

Metrotwit doesn't sync with Tweetmarker. Also, it annoys me that even though I only have one column setup, I can't make it narrow. The UI is such that it has to stay wider than it needs to be.

The desktop version of TweetDeck is the closest to what I want, but it's not perfect, either.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I got a quickie here, whats everyone use as their go to screen capturing software, I've been using Windows 7 built in snipping tool, but I'm wondering if there is better, and it also needs to be free.

gbeck
Jul 15, 2005
I can RIS that
I am a fan of greenshot. http://getgreenshot.org/

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Im_Special posted:

I got a quickie here, whats everyone use as their go to screen capturing software, I've been using Windows 7 built in snipping tool, but I'm wondering if there is better, and it also needs to be free.

ShareX and Puush are both pretty good, I prefer ShareX.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

gbeck posted:

I am a fan of greenshot. http://getgreenshot.org/

Just tried this and its pretty drat amazing, I think I just found my new screen capturing program, and those arrows you can draw are great.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gnomedolf posted:

Metrotwit doesn't sync with Tweetmarker.

drat, I could've sworn it did, but you're right, even in the pro version. I'm not sure what I was thinking of that did now. :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

edit:

Forget about it, trying this another way

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 23, 2013

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I need some recommendations for professional encryption software for my step-dad's financial adviser business. The software has to include the following:

quote:

Full disc encryption utilizing a Network Information Security and Technology (NIST) recommended encryption solution with a minimum of 128 bit encryption with a Boot Password.

Additionally it should be user friendly and have good tech support.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

-Blackadder- posted:

I need some recommendations for professional encryption software for my step-dad's financial adviser business. The software has to include the following:

Additionally it should be user friendly and have good tech support.

Windows? Bitlocker is fairly straightforward if he's running 7 Ultimate/Enterprise or Windows 8 Pro

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 25, 2013

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Maneki Neko posted:

Windows? Bitlocker is fairly straightforward if he's running 7 Ultimate/Enterprise or Windows 8 Pro

Yeah, just use bit locker. It's mega easy to use, and I'm pretty sure it meets those basic requirements. My company uses it and we cater to huge banks and credit unions.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend a good program to help me backup my computer? I've got a 2TB external drive I had originally used for external storage prior to building a new machine, so I'd like to use it to periodically back up everything in the event that something dies.

I have Windows 8, so I could use the built in backup tools, but wanted to check to see if there was anything better first.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Depends on how crazy you want to get; there are all kinds of levels of backup solutions. I like Acronis TrueImage personally

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nemo2342 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good program to help me backup my computer? I've got a 2TB external drive I had originally used for external storage prior to building a new machine, so I'd like to use it to periodically back up everything in the event that something dies.

I have Windows 8, so I could use the built in backup tools, but wanted to check to see if there was anything better first.

Windows backup should work fine if you just want to have it somewhere and is free.

I think you can also do a migration from the system image when you build the new computer, which will make life easier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with StartMe.com or some other alternative?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm replacing my desktop with a laptop.

I have an SSD on my desktop that I'd like to install on my laptop. However, because I'd like the SSD to be clean formatted before I move it, I'd like to clone the contents of the SSD into my desktop's remaining mechanical drive.

This is all basically so I can keep my Windows install on the desktop.

Is there any way to clone my C: partition into a partition of equal size on another drive?

Edit: I know this is the Windows software thread, but I'm willing and able to use Linux for this (something like gparted?).

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I tried installing the original Diablo on Win8 today and it didn't work :negative:

This is the first windows operating system that's happened to me on. I seriously think I might boot Linux just to try it on WINE. What kind of a world do I even live in?!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any way to clone my C: partition into a partition of equal size on another drive?

Edit: I know this is the Windows software thread, but I'm willing and able to use Linux for this (something like gparted?).
The SSD thread currently recommends Macrium Reflect for stuff like that, as far as I know.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm replacing my desktop with a laptop.

I have an SSD on my desktop that I'd like to install on my laptop. However, because I'd like the SSD to be clean formatted before I move it, I'd like to clone the contents of the SSD into my desktop's remaining mechanical drive.

This is all basically so I can keep my Windows install on the desktop.

You could always use Windows System Image Backup, then restore it with the repair function on a Windows install disk.

I don't remember Macrium Reflect working so well with GPT disks; maybe it's better now?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You could also use Windows Easy Transfer. It was a feature introduced with Vista, so I'm positive most people don't know anything about it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Eikre posted:

I tried installing the original Diablo on Win8 today and it didn't work :negative:

This is the first windows operating system that's happened to me on. I seriously think I might boot Linux just to try it on WINE. What kind of a world do I even live in?!

Isn't HyperV available in Windows 8? Do you have any of your older Windows keys?

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I'm ticked off that Microsoft removed the GUI for the Windows 7 version of backup in Windows 8.1. Unless you know how to run it via command line, there's no built-in way to backup the entire computer with bootable recovery. File History only does certain files.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Found an email client called eM Client. It's worked great with my Gmail account and it supports several different types of accounts.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gnomedolf posted:

I'm ticked off that Microsoft removed the GUI for the Windows 7 version of backup in Windows 8.1. Unless you know how to run it via command line, there's no built-in way to backup the entire computer with bootable recovery. File History only does certain files.
Control Panel -> System and Securtiy -> File History. Click the link that says "System Image Backup". It's right there:

http://i.imgur.com/oDdtD03.png

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
With Windows 8, what does the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" feature do in the PC settings menu? I need to reinstall Windows because I'm having some issues with it and I'm wondering if I should just use that or if I should use the traditional route of booting the media and installing to unpartitioned space? What is the difference? Does that feature remove drivers as well (because that's one of my issues)?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

IT Guy posted:

With Windows 8, what does the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" feature do in the PC settings menu? I need to reinstall Windows because I'm having some issues with it and I'm wondering if I should just use that or if I should use the traditional route of booting the media and installing to unpartitioned space? What is the difference? Does that feature remove drivers as well (because that's one of my issues)?

First, if it's a recent issue, do a System Restore first. But the reset IS doing a wipe + reinstall:

quote:

Resetting your Windows 8 PC goes like this:

The PC boots into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).
Windows RE erases and formats the hard drive partitions on which Windows and personal data reside.
Windows RE installs a fresh copy of Windows.
The PC restarts into the newly installed copy of Windows.

Source