Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

Eh, prophecies are bullshit anyway. I wouldn't bank on him dying by the end of the year.

Considering that he Oracle can accurately predict his own death down to the minute, that hasn't been wrong yet, and this is a world of high magic I don't know why you'd think the Oracle is full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Considering that he Oracle can accurately predict his own death down to the minute, that hasn't been wrong yet, and this is a world of high magic I don't know why you'd think the Oracle is full of poo poo.

Cause he's an rear end.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

greatn posted:

Cause he's an rear end.

Yes, but he's an rear end that hasn't been wrong yet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, the Oracle is really gonna get one over on the Belkster when he doesn't die.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I can't remember, did the Oracle specify that it was physical death and not some "The man you were is dead" bullshit?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
He specifically says "Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year".

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Angry Walrus posted:

I can't remember, did the Oracle specify that it was physical death and not some "The man you were is dead" bullshit?

Red Metal posted:

He specifically says "Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year".

Yep. Panel 5, complete with the whole lights dimming, spotlight from above, hovering, green speech balloon, the whole nine yards.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Red Metal posted:

Which still leaves the "A changed man" out, it just requires a name change. It's a prophesy that could be defeated by an action movie sting "Belkar died at that gate with Mr. Fluffy. I guess it time for me to go find out who I am now."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

SirDan3k posted:

Which still leaves the "A changed man" out, it just requires a name change. It's a prophesy that could be defeated by an action movie sting "Belkar died at that gate with Mr. Fluffy. I guess it time for me to go find out who I am now."

In a world with vampires and undead, I can't imagine Rich would pull something this blatantly terrible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, but the oracle said it to a disembodied spirit, so it doesn't count. :unsmigghh:

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Can't wait for Belkar to die so we never have to talk about this prophecy ever again.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

The sequel to OotS will be about not-Belkar as he walks the world in the rift.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Noah posted:

Can't wait for Belkar to die so we never have to talk about this prophecy ever again.

That didn't help with the Vaarsuvius prophecy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The vague wording of the prophecy may have just been setting people up to expect Belkar to become a vampire. I know it totally threw me for a loop when it ended up happening to Durkon instead. He might die or he might somehow not die, but don't count on the vagueness of the prophecy guaranteeing his survival.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Oracle also said it first here, though again with euphemisms.

On the one hand, I'd prefer it if it were a no bullshit prophecy and Belkar actually dies. On the second hand, I have to admit that it would be perfectly in-character for the Oracle to mislead the Order into thinking Belkar will die soon, even if it isn't what he has actually foreseen.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
If Belkar's death prophecy is supposed to happen after a real-time year, does that include the time that Burlew spent out of commission due to his thumb?

On that note, I think it'd be funny if Belkar died, then Durkula vamped him... in the middle of the sunlit day, with no protection.

"Durkon!!! Why'd you let him burn up?!?"

*shrugs* "Eh, ah dinnae really care for him."

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 23, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Simian_Prime posted:

If Belkar's death prophecy is supposed to happen after a real-time year, does that include the time that Burlew spent out of commission due to his thumb?

On that note, I think it'd be funny if Belkar died, then Durkula vamped him... in the middle of the sunlit day, with no protection.

No there's even a blatant wink at the camera about it being an in story year.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Simian_Prime posted:

It's an in-comic year, fourth wall fans!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"That's an 'in-comic' year, not a real-time year, Oracle fans!"

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Ah, I saw that panel and totally read it wrong. Stupid brain!

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a crazy guess for you: that spice Belkar ate back in comic 688 made him invisible to prescience. The Oracle saw Belkar vanish from the radar shortly after a slaver-bug raid and interpreted it as "yeah, that little fucker's dead".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Jeez have we really spent 250+ pages in the desert? That book's gonna be huge.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Technogeek posted:

Here's a crazy guess for you: that spice Belkar ate back in comic 688 made him invisible to prescience. The Oracle saw Belkar vanish from the radar shortly after a slaver-bug raid and interpreted it as "yeah, that little fucker's dead".

I don't know a thing about Dune, so I can't say that spice can't retroactively occlude prophecy. But if it does, that's well out of league for a good reference of a main plot point, even for OotS.

Cliff Racer posted:

Jeez have we really spent 250+ pages in the desert? That book's gonna be huge.

Really? It's been that long? I wonder how long they were in Azure City now?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Really? It's been that long? I wonder how long they were in Azure City now?

Well, they arrived in book 2, strip 260
The siege ended with book 3, strip 484

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I don't know a thing about Dune, so I can't say that spice can't retroactively occlude prophecy. But if it does, that's well out of league for a good reference of a main plot point, even for OotS.

In Dune, the Spice grants powers of precognition (...sort of). However, the main character, acting upon his own powers of precognition after ingesting the Spice, is able to so disrupt the flow of events as to invalidate the prophecies of others, so maybe.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

fool_of_sound posted:

In Dune, the Spice grants powers of precognition (...sort of). However, the main character, acting upon his own powers of precognition after ingesting the Spice, is able to so disrupt the flow of events as to invalidate the prophecies of others, so maybe.

He also breeds people to be immune to prophecies, but I really doubt Rich is going to do any more Dune references if he hasn't already. Man those books got weird.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Kruller posted:

He also breeds people to be immune to prophecies, but I really doubt Rich is going to do any more Dune references if he hasn't already. Man those books got weird.

Calling it now, Belkar takes his last breath ever because he turns into an immortal sandworm-god, and those don't need to breathe.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Belkar dies by casting Meteor in an attempt to kill Golbez and stop him from reaching the moon.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

greatn posted:

Belkar dies by casting Meteor in an attempt to kill Golbez and stop him from reaching the moon.

Of course a spoony goon would predict this. (This is my favorite and probably the mostly likely prediction for Belkar has made)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kruller posted:

It was actually one of the big points in the Dune narrative, that predestination and prophecy and so on ruined mankind. That they needed to escape prophecy to restore their worth.

And yeah they got super weird. Lots of authors that grow old and stop caring go pretty bonkers though. In Herbert's case it was amazingly creative and surreal.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

And yeah they got super weird. Lots of authors that grow old and stop caring go pretty bonkers though. In Herbert's case it was amazingly creative and surreal.

Pretty sure he was like that from the start. Just took him a book or two to build up to it.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I was going to suggest the Snarl might be able to mess with causality, but that works too.

Alternatively, there's duplicates of everyone on the other side of the Gate and the Edolas other Belkar dies.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

They meet the cousin of Yikyik, Yukyuk and Yokyok who is curiously named Belkar.

Cause I'm thinking the Oracle didn't point to the halfling Belkar when he said "a" Belkar would draw his last breath ever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

nimby posted:

They meet the cousin of Yikyik, Yukyuk and Yokyok who is curiously named Belkar.

Cause I'm thinking the Oracle didn't point to the halfling Belkar when he said "a" Belkar would draw his last breath ever.

He was talking about Belker.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was talking about Belker.

Isn't that a D&D monster?

Fake edit: It is!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

nimby posted:

For a while there I was hoping after Belkar died there'd be a gag where the Order comes across an almost-identical adventurer roughly the same level at their next rest stop named "Shmelkar", or something, but Tarquin already made that joke when ordering Roy and the others be killed. The replacement-Belkar being a Kobold might've been poetic justice, too.

I know it's been established that OOTS is a world based on D&D rather than an ongoing game of it, but I still wonder if they'll dig up a replacement for Belkar to get the Order back up to "full strength". Then again, Belkar's pretty much the most expendable of the bunch in terms of what he contributes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Calling it now, Belkar takes his last breath ever because he turns into an immortal sandworm-god, and those don't need to breathe.

I guess they can't eat cake either, and being immortal they don't need to bother about funding their retirement.

I'm sold, it's much better than Belkar becoming some sort of undead.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cat Mattress posted:

I guess they can't eat cake either, and being immortal they don't need to bother about funding their retirement.

I'm sold, it's much better than Belkar becoming some sort of undead.

I'm not going to lie, I'm 100% expecting some sort of rules-sperging fakeout like this where Belkar's like "oh, that was a close one" or "oh, that's sort of weird" and Roy has just enough time to say "Wait, are you loving kidding me" before Belkar actually just flat-out dies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'm not going to lie, I'm 100% expecting some sort of rules-sperging fakeout like this where Belkar's like "oh, that was a close one" or "oh, that's sort of weird" and Roy has just enough time to say "Wait, are you loving kidding me" before Belkar actually just flat-out dies.
I want this. I want this so that Roy can realize that Belkar was genuinely reforming, that he was wishing for the little guy to die, and to have a crisis about what that means about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yeah, for Belkar I am completely anticipating it to be played straight. People are looking for a way out and the prophecy is set up that way, but the twist will be that there is no twist. Belkar dies and then the team spends the last book dealing with stuff without him.

The real question is what happens to Mr. Scruffy.