Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I think VS2012 did add support for initializer lists and uniform initialization in some CTP or other, although it didn't have it initially. Regardless, all versions of 2012 support emplace (in-place construction) for containers and shared_ptr:s are EmplaceConstructible so
code:
std::unordered_map<int, std::shared_ptr<BNode>> map;
map.emplace(k,node);
should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
2013 supports initializer lists but I don't know how buggy it is ;)
It's also not released yet. It's in RC until November I think.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Yeah, the VS C/C++ compilers can be... janky. The one people most often run into (in VS2012 at least) is that its C compiler insists local variables be declared at the beginning of their scope. Which is C89.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

coffeetable posted:

Yeah, the VS C/C++ compilers can be... janky. The one people most often run into (in VS2012 at least) is that its C compiler insists local variables be declared at the beginning of their scope. Which is C89.

Well.. thats because Visual Studio only has a C89 compiler.
VS 2013 brought in some C99 library support but not much.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

xgalaxy posted:

For some reason I thought it had a fair bit of C99 already, but yeah you're right. Mystery solved.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

xgalaxy posted:

Building NaCl in C99 I found basic
code:
for (int i = 0;;)
constructs fail in inline functions, bizarre.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

xgalaxy posted:

VS2013 is also (finally) adding support for _Bool, compound literals, designated initializers, and mixing declarations with code although Microsoft don't really seem to be going out of their way to publicize these new features.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a system call to determine whether the system is big endian or not? I've got code that works, so this is more a curiosity than anything.

code:
bool isBigEndianSystem()
{
   static bool firstCall = true;
   static bool result;

if (firstCall)
   {
      firstCall = false;

union
      {
         unsigned int u;
         unsigned char c[4];
      } u;
      u.u = 1;
      result = (u.c[3] == 1);
   }

return result;
}

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BSDs and Linuxes have a endian.h which defines a BYTE_ORDER, although there isn't really a reason to test it.

Your data has a defined endianness, just unconditionally use the endian functions to do the conversion and rely on the fact that they'll be no-ops on the platforms where the endian matches.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Why do you want to check the byte order? If you need to encode and decode integers in a standard format, Unix systems already have functions for that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

Why do you want to check the byte order? If you need to encode and decode integers in a standard format, Unix systems already have functions for that.

In embedded development you may. If you get a board from some strange vendor that has a chip with few K of ram and runs like is being powered by hungry hamsters, chances are that you won't have access to endian.h .
At which point you will have to write your own test routine. What I found on stackoverflow looks like a good approach, though there may be simpler ones out there: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2100331/c-macro-definition-to-determine-big-endian-or-little-endian-machine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gazpacho posted:

'cos I'm an idiot who totally didn't forget about those, nosir :saddowns:

(The real answer: I'm still working on a port from Solaris/SPARC/SunCC to Linux/Intel/GCC and gotta fix all the file I/O issues that have cropped up.)

god, six years outta college and i still don't have simple poo poo like this straight

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 30, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For a previous class assignment, we had to calculate pi to 18 decimals via a few different iterative methods and compare them to the "exact" value calculated by arccos(-1). This worked fine for me in Visual Studio 2013, but in NetBeans (7.3.1, g++ 4.8.1), I get some crazy number for pi. Here's the shortest code that generates the problem, and the number I get:
code:
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <cmath>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::setprecision;
using std::acos;

int main() {
    long double pi_18 = acos(static_cast<long double>(-1.0));
    cout.precision(18);
    cout << pi_18 << endl;
}
Result is -8.8796093704934495e+043.

The line that declares and initializes pi_18 is what the professor gave us. What's going wrong?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

The line that declares and initializes pi_18 is what the professor gave us. What's going wrong?

Good question.

Works just fine for me, i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-g++-4.2 and also a vanilla 4.7 version.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Wild guess: You're linking to a C math library that only has acos(double), so the argument and the result are being reinterpreted accordingly.

edit: Relevant stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7134547/gcc-printf-and-long-double-leads-to-wrong-output-c-type-conversion-messes-u

The gist is that gcc and MSVC do not agree on what a long double is, and MSVC considers it the same as double. Try cygwin, or a Unix platform if you have one.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 3, 2013

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nielsm posted:

Good question.

Works just fine for me, i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-g++-4.2 and also a vanilla 4.7 version.

Same here, on a linux 2.6 machine (centos?) with an ancient g++ (4.1.2)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

fritz posted:

Same here, on a linux 2.6 machine (centos?) with an ancient g++ (4.1.2)

Also works on my 64-bit Gentoo system. (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-c++-4.7.3)

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

hooah posted:

Result is -8.8796093704934495e+043.

This value is what you get if you calculate pi as a long double (80-bit "extended precision"), but then truncate to the first eight bytes and interpret them as a double (64-bit "double precision") - the bits are the same.

So it looks like the acos is working correctly, but something is wrong with the printing. If you say "cout << static_cast<int>(pi_18) << endl;", do you get 3? If so, then everything is working well up to the point where the iostream library chooses the wrong type.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AlexG posted:

This value is what you get if you calculate pi as a long double (80-bit "extended precision"), but then truncate to the first eight bytes and interpret them as a double (64-bit "double precision") - the bits are the same.

So it looks like the acos is working correctly, but something is wrong with the printing. If you say "cout << static_cast<int>(pi_18) << endl;", do you get 3? If so, then everything is working well up to the point where the iostream library chooses the wrong type.

Yup, that prints out 3. What's the next step in figuring out what's going on, then?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Read my edited post. long double is just broken in MinGW, and in VC too if you really need 18-digit precision.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
I'm having a goof around with templates and I am having trouble with template template functors:

code:
template <template <typename T, typename = std::allocator<T>> class C>
struct UserToUserId
{
    UserToUserId(DB2DBI & db, std::insert_iterator< C<UInt32> > & inserter) :
        db(db), inserter(inserter) {}

void operator()(const std::string & username) {
        inserter = db.getUserID(username);
    }

private:
    DB2DBI & db;
    std::insert_iterator< C<UInt32> > & inserter;
};

int main() {
     std::vector<UInt32> all_users;
     std::insert_iterator< std::vector<UInt32> > userid_inserter(all_users, all_users.begin());
     UserToUserId<std::vector> userid_gen( db, userid_inserter );
     std::for_each( json_decoder.for_users().begin(), json_decoder.for_users().end(), all_users.begin(), userid_gen);
}
I'm getting a compile error with the template template functor and std::copy:
code:
/.../main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
/.../main.cpp:76:123: error: no matching function for call to ‘for_each(std::vector<std::basic_string<char> >::const_iterator, std::vector<std::basic_string<char> >::const_iterator, std::vector<unsigned int>::iterator, UserToUserId<std::vector>&)’
/.../main.cpp:76:123: note: candidate is:
/usr/include/c++/4.6/bits/stl_algo.h:4373:5: note: template<class _IIter, class _Funct> _Funct std::for_each(_IIter, _IIter, _Funct)
make[2]: *** [.../CMakeFiles/loadTestData.dir/main.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [.../CMakeFiles/loadTestData.dir/all] Error 2
I'd rather use a lambda but I can't. So perhaps my understanding of templates is too shallow, but doesn't "template <typename T, typename = std::allocator<T>> class C" define a proper type at compile time when it gets to figuring out the type for "class _Funct" in std::copy?

EDIT: This is what happens when you're doing 5 things at once. std::copy requires both iterator types to be the same type - duh. You can't copy a std::vector<std::string> into a std::vector<unsigned int>. You can all laugh at me now.

EDIT EDIT: Why was I taking about std::copy when I was using std::foreach? :iiam: Sigh, fixed the dumb error. It's been a long day and I'm going home.

Jinx fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 4, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know any VS2010 tricks for changing how a data type is represented in the debugger? I am using a big decimal data type so all I see are its built-in exponent and mantissa fields. These are pretty well useless on-the-fly. Can I get VS2010 to display them as their actual quantities?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know any VS2010 tricks for changing how a data type is represented in the debugger? I am using a big decimal data type so all I see are its built-in exponent and mantissa fields. These are pretty well useless on-the-fly. Can I get VS2010 to display them as their actual quantities?
As far as I know, autoexp.dat is the only built-in option and it's really limited (i.e. it can't handle type casts either). NatVis in 2012 appears to be a lot more flexible.

The closest thing to a good option in 2010 is store the debug value with the data and omit that behavior in release builds.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=120
http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=172

I think this is still basically accurate for 2010.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Say I've got a class:

code:
class MyClass
{
	vector<int> MyVec;

public:
	const vector<int>& GetMyVec() const { return MyVec; }
};
Meaning, I want people to be able to look at MyVec's value without changing it.

Later on, I write:

code:
MyClass mine; 
vector<int>& refint = mine.GetMyVec();
With intel's compiler, this produces a warning:

code:
warning #476: qualifiers dropped in binding reference of type ...
And that's it. I can then go on to modify MyVec's contents. Why is this just a warning? Shouldn't this be invalid? How do you actually keep people from modifying MyVec?

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Dog Jones posted:

And that's it. I can then go on to modify MyVec's contents. Why is this just a warning? Shouldn't this be invalid? How do you actually keep people from modifying MyVec?

For what it's worth, g++ gives an error:

code:
error: invalid initialisation of reference of type 'std::vector<int>&' from expression of type 'const std::vector<int>'

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GeneralZod posted:

For what it's worth, g++ gives an error:

code:
error: invalid initialisation of reference of type 'std::vector<int>&' from expression of type 'const std::vector<int>'

This is exactly what I'd expect. Intel's documentation says my compiler conforms to the 1998 standard, but I can't find a copy of that. My intuition says that the program I posted before is invalid, and should report an error not just a warning.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dog Jones posted:

This is exactly what I'd expect. Intel's documentation says my compiler conforms to the 1998 standard, but I can't find a copy of that. My intuition says that the program I posted before is invalid, and should report an error not just a warning.

The standard is pretty forgiving about what a compiler is allowed to do with invalid programs. I believe it's required to emit a diagnostic message, which it did. Beyond that, I don't think there's any requirement that the compiler ever refuse to compile something.

In any case const more or less runs on an honour system in C++. Even if you can't do it implicitly, you can get rid of the const pretty simply:
code:
vector<int>& refint = const_cast<vector<int>&>(mine.GetMyVec());

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 6, 2013

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
I'm working through K&R, still on Chapter 1 and this is the program I've put in:

code:
#include <stdio.h>

/* count characters in input; 2nd version */
main()
{
    double nc;
    for (nc = 0; getchar() != EOF; ++nc)
        ;
    printf("%.0f\n", nc);
}
When I compile this with GCC and run it in the terminal it will take input, but it never actually prints out any sort of count - I assume this is because while it is still running it never reaches the end of file. How do I get it to hit EOF so that I can actually check for myself that the code is doing what it's supposed to?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Ctrl-D

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
Perfect - thanks for the speedy reply.

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012
I've continued on and got stuck on Exercise 1-12 which asks to write a program to prints the output one word per line.

code:
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
    int c;

while ((c = getchar()) != EOF){

if (c == '\n' || ' ' || '\t')
            putchar('\n');            
        else
            putchar(c);

}
}   
The result is that I get as many newlines as characters in my input. I can't figure out why this is happening - why does it seem the first if clause is triggering for every character (not just \n, ' ', and \t) when it appears that they should skip the first if and go to the else clause and just be printed as normal?

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

VulpesInculta posted:

The result is that I get as many newlines as characters in my input. I can't figure out why this is happening - why does it seem the first if clause is triggering for every character (not just \n, ' ', and \t) when it appears that they should skip the first if and go to the else clause and just be printed as normal?

This: c == '\n' || ' ' || '\t' doesn't do what you think it does. It evaluates like ((c == '\n') || ' ') || '\t' which is always going to be true. You need to write c == '\n' || c == ' ' || c == '\t' to get what you want.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VulpesInculta posted:

if (c == '\n' || ' ' || '\t')

You need to review operator precedence (that's for C++ but C is probably similar.

(c == '\n' || ' ' || '\t') is not at all the same thing as if ((c == '\n') || (c == ' ') || (c == '\t')), although the inner brackets are optional. What do you think the result would be if you wrote (c == 1 || 2 || 3)?

^^Also, nuts to you^^

VulpesInculta
Jul 11, 2012

Nippashish posted:

This: c == '\n' || ' ' || '\t' doesn't do what you think it does. It evaluates like ((c == '\n') || ' ') || '\t' which is always going to be true. You need to write c == '\n' || c == ' ' || c == '\t' to get what you want.

eXXon posted:

You need to review operator precedence (that's for C++ but C is probably similar.

(c == '\n' || ' ' || '\t') is not at all the same thing as if ((c == '\n') || (c == ' ') || (c == '\t')), although the inner brackets are optional. What do you think the result would be if you wrote (c == 1 || 2 || 3)?

^^Also, nuts to you^^
Gah! Don't believe I missed that. It's working now exactly as intended. Thanks for the help.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

I wish more languages supported something equivalent to it-- very commonly if statements want to check a value against a few different options. Python has things like if x in (1, 2, 3), but that's not the same semantics as the ==/or combination.

It's especially frustrating when you're testing the value of some long variable in a namespace.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
As long as operator precedence is being mentioned, two things to always be aware of lest you run into frustrating bugs: | and & are much higher priority than arithmetic operators (i.e. they're above comparisons), and && and || aren't the same priority.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
Operator precedence is an important thing to be aware of, but it was not the source of confusion in this case.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Scaevolus posted:

Python has things like if x in (1, 2, 3), but that's not the same semantics as the ==/or combination.

Of course it is. in checks for equality, not identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Suspicious Dish posted:

Of course it is. in checks for equality, not identity.

in also evaluates all the arguments, whereas a == b || a == c || ... won't evaluate the later options if an earlier one turns out to be sufficient.