Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

TopherCStone posted:

I was just reading this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_Waite_Tarot_deck inspired partly by the cards in Persona 4
Is there any good occult fiction out there? Most of what I've dredged up seems to be works by people who actually believe in it. I'm looking for something with secret societies like the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and that group in that one Sherlock Holmes movie, but where the magic actually works and so does the story.

Adam Nevill does a lot of books like this - his last one, Last Days is about a documentary filmmaker researching Jonestown-esque cult. Very good. If you want something more traditional check out Banquet for the Damned but I don't think that one is anywhere near as good as Last Days. I'd also check out F.G. Cottam's House of Lost Souls in which Aleister Crowley actually makes an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Last Days is one of the few modern horror novels I've actually enjoyed. The way he used film making as a narrative device worked extremely well, I thought.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TopherCStone posted:

I was just reading this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_Waite_Tarot_deck inspired partly by the cards in Persona 4
Is there any good occult fiction out there? Most of what I've dredged up seems to be works by people who actually believe in it. I'm looking for something with secret societies like the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and that group in that one Sherlock Holmes movie, but where the magic actually works and so does the story.

Charles Stross's Laundry Files fit the bill, though Stross isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been reading some assorted Seamus Heaney poems and I was wondering which one of his books I should start with. Should I start with Death of a Naturalist and keep going or should I start with North and skip around? Something else, perhaps?

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!
I am looking for a fairly general history book about East Timor. I know very little about the history of the country and I'll be receiving a group of teachers and students from the area next month, and was looking for something that gave me a good background. I was thinking a history book, but if there's something good in the political science realm I would also be super interested in that. If you know anything that sounds like this, let me know!

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Can I get some recommendations for Sci-Fi horror? I prefer psychological horror, but it's pretty hard to find apparently. Lovecraft is way too overwrought and one-note, but I did enjoy "A Colder War". I also liked Blindsight, though I'm not too crazy about "hard" sci-fi, necessarily. Anything else worth checking out?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Void by Brett Talley is pretty good sci-fi horror.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Ornamented Death posted:

The Void by Brett Talley is pretty good sci-fi horror.

Wow, we had completely differing opinions on this one. I read it and it felt very been there, done that to me - I could have just watched Even Horizons again and it would have been better. Nothing against Talley, I really enjoyed That Which Should Not Be.

My soft sci-fi horror go to is always the peerless Ray Bradbury, especially The Martian Chronicles and S is for Space.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, I read Columbine by Dave Cullen and A Sniper in the Tower by Gary Lavergne over the summer, and enjoy reading actually well-written and researched looks into the minds of totally hosed-up people. However, more often than not, the genre of true crime stuff like that ends up with absolute garbage writing and no research done besides a cursory look at Wikipedia.

Are there any other good books in that vein that people can recommend?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

rotinaj posted:

So, I read Columbine by Dave Cullen and A Sniper in the Tower by Gary Lavergne over the summer, and enjoy reading actually well-written and researched looks into the minds of totally hosed-up people. However, more often than not, the genre of true crime stuff like that ends up with absolute garbage writing and no research done besides a cursory look at Wikipedia.

The Guardian recently published a top 10 of true crime books. It's obviously not exhaustive, but I think it's a great list.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

rotinaj posted:

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson is well-written and researched, although it doesn't get too much into HH Holmes' head.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Black Mass by Dick Lehr and Gerard O'Neill is pretty good. It's mainly about how Whitey Bulger used his status as a FBI informant to take over Boston's criminal world and just how corrupt and incompetent a lot of Boston's FBI and politicians were. Both writers were journalists for the Boston Globe and they do a good job of telling their story through facts that were revealed in interviews, police investigations and trials.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

rotinaj posted:

Satan's Circus: Murder, Vice, Police Corruption, and New York's Trial of the Century (Mike Dash): Turn of the century murder involving cop Charley Becker. Also dabbles into later Tammany Hall as the victim had connections.

For the Thrill of It: Leopold, Loeb, and the Murder That Shocked Chicago (Simon Bratz)

And the Dead Shall Rise: The Murder of Mary Phagan and the Lynching of Leo Frank (Steve Oney): Race relations, both African-American and Jewish in the south in the 1910s. It's a monster of a book and has its slow parts, specially during Frank's trial, but the case inspired both the [Jewish] Anti-Defamation League and the revival of the KKK.

Brothers in Blood (Clark Howard): Probably impossible to find anywhere but the deep south, but it's one of those with considerable exploring of the suspects' minds. Two brothers and an associate escape jail in Maryland, pick up the youngest brother and end up in very rural Georgia where they take their time and slay six members of the Alday family.

Thou Shalt Not Kill (Mary S. Ryzuk): Probably crosses the line into trashy. John List slayings.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

This is pretty general, but worth a try. I'm looking for books based around important early medical discoveries, not picky on what. They can be nonfiction, fictionalized accounts of real events, or pure fiction (thriller, genre, whatever) based off historical progress, as long as they're written well, scientifically accurate, and preferably have an engaging story to them. I don't want to read a textbook.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Echo Cian posted:

This is pretty general, but worth a try. I'm looking for books based around important early medical discoveries, not picky on what. They can be nonfiction, fictionalized accounts of real events, or pure fiction (thriller, genre, whatever) based off historical progress, as long as they're written well, scientifically accurate, and preferably have an engaging story to them. I don't want to read a textbook.

This might be what you're looking for, though I haven't read it myself: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Work-Medicine-Scientific-Revolution/dp/0393342239

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This might be what you're looking for, though I haven't read it myself: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Work-Medicine-Scientific-Revolution/dp/0393342239

Yup, that's what I was going to suggest.

VVV Steven Johnson, meant to mention him, as well.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2013

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Echo Cian posted:

Scurvy: How a Surgeon, a Mariner, and a Gentleman Discovered the Greatest Medical Mystery of the Age of Sail by Stephen R Bown

The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Steven Johnson

The Anatomist: A True Story of Gray's Anatomy by Bill Hayes

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

elbow posted:

The Guardian recently published a top 10 of true crime books. It's obviously not exhaustive, but I think it's a great list.

I can't believe that "Raven: The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and his Followers", didn't make that list. Incredibly well researched book about one of the most unthinkable occurrences in criminal history written by a reporter who was shot at Jim Jones' command.

It's also the go-to book if you want to learn about cults. Literally, I've seen this used as a "text book" in a graduate level criminal justice class at West Chester University.

Edit: But if you decide to read this, I suggest not going the Kindle route, as the physical copy has a bunch of nice photos to put some visuals to the people and locations in the book.

Edit 2: Sorry, I was remembering the Scott Peterson book. The photos in the paperback of Raven are black and white on paper, so they will likely look the same in the Kindle edition, if they have them.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 12, 2013

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
I am looking for books that utilizes cryogenics as a plot device to transport people from our time, or one close to it, into the far future. So far I haven't been able to find many good examples. except comedy stuff like Futurama. Anyone know of any books with that as the basis for their plot?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mr.Drf posted:

I am looking for books that utilizes cryogenics as a plot device to transport people from our time, or one close to it, into the far future. So far I haven't been able to find many good examples. except comedy stuff like Futurama. Anyone know of any books with that as the basis for their plot?

The Unincorporated Man.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mr.Drf posted:

It's not cryogenics (it's magic-tech stasis fields instead) but on the other hand it's very goddamn far into the future: Marooned in Realtime by Vernor Vinge.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
I'm sure this is being asked a lot lately, but what is the best collection to start with Alice Munro? Going in completely blind on Nobel prize faith.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Mr.Drf posted:

The World at the End of Time by Frederik Pohl

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr.Drf posted:

A World out of Time by Larry Niven.

quote:

Jerome Branch Corbell has incurable cancer and is cryogenically frozen in the year 1970 in the faint hope of a future cure. His body is revived in 2190 by an oppressive, totalitarian global government called "The State". His personality and memories are extracted (destroying his body in the process) and transferred into the body of a mindwiped criminal. After he is awakened, he is continually evaluated by Peerssa, a "checker", who has to decide whether he is worth keeping. With the threat of mindwiping looming over his head, Corbell works hard to pass the various tests.

There's a short story and a novelization. The original short story is dandy and chilling. I haven't read the full novel and can't vouch for it.

edit: The original short story is titled "Rammer"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 13, 2013

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

TheYellowFog posted:

I'm sure this is being asked a lot lately, but what is the best collection to start with Alice Munro? Going in completely blind on Nobel prize faith.

Vintage recently published Selected Stories, kind of a best-of collection. It's as good a place as any to start.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

TheYellowFog posted:

Collections are always hit and miss, so I'll say anything with "The Progress of Love", "Fits", and "The Albanian Virgin" is worth it. I mean, my god. Those three are my top favorites, and two of them are practically novellas in length and depth.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
Thanks, I think I'll go with the 3 collections published in the late 70s/early 80s. I've read a few opinions calling that her prime.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fremry posted:

I can't believe that "Raven: The Untold Story of the Rev. Jim Jones and his Followers", didn't make that list. Incredibly well researched book about one of the most unthinkable occurrences in criminal history written by a reporter who was shot at Jim Jones' command.

It's also the go-to book if you want to learn about cults. Literally, I've seen this used as a "text book" in a graduate level criminal justice class at West Chester University.

Cults, and especially Jim Jones, always fascinated me, I'm going to check this one out. On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for any good fiction where a cult is central to the plot?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You can try various H.P. Lovecraft stories, if you are into that sort of thing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

savinhill posted:

Cults, and especially Jim Jones, always fascinated me, I'm going to check this one out. On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for any good fiction where a cult is central to the plot?
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. It's full of Palaniukisms, like all his books, but is decent despite that.

Much better are Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco and The Magus by John Fowles, but those are more secret societyish than cult. But they're both fantastic books.

Comedy /r/atheism answer: The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm currently looking for books - fiction or non - about the Yugoslav wars. I knew many refugees growing up because they fled to places in the Midwest where the Catholic Church had set up havens for them. My high school had a ton of these folks, but most of them didn't really talk about what they'd left behind. So anything about the refugees, or the politics of the territories over there, or really anything that's well-written would be great.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

artichoke posted:

I'm currently looking for books - fiction or non - about the Yugoslav wars. I knew many refugees growing up because they fled to places in the Midwest where the Catholic Church had set up havens for them. My high school had a ton of these folks, but most of them didn't really talk about what they'd left behind. So anything about the refugees, or the politics of the territories over there, or really anything that's well-written would be great.

Laura Silber's The Death of Yugoslavia is, I think, still the best and most accessible overall view on the Yugoslav wars. It is also available as a BBC TV series.

Tim Judah wrote a few pretty decent books about the latter phase of conflict between Serbia and Kosovo. I also liked Marcus Tanner's Croatia: A Nation Forged in War. It's more of a general history of Croatia with a focus on the war.

For fiction I would recommend Jergovic's Sarajevo Marlboro. It's a short story collection about the siege of Sarajevo that kind of captures the spirit of the whole affair.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Can anyone recommend books which are:

Survival horror vs aliens
or
Mankind having to deal with aliens for the first time
or
Humans exploring distant planets

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

WastedJoker posted:

or
or

Peter Watts' Blindsight is all three, pretty much.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

WastedJoker posted:

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

Short stories:
Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell
I Am the Doorway by Stephen King
The Mist by Stephen King (novella)
Beachworld by Stephen King

quote:

The first book of Larry Niven's Known Space series, World of Ptavvs
Contact by Carl Sagan, kinda (one way communication, so it's not "dealing with them" per se)
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

It's a short story, but First Contact by Murray Leinster is a really superlative example.

Probably not in the vein you're looking for but technically fits the qualifications:
The Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Mission: Earth by L. Ron Hubbard (don't read these books)

Kinda fits:
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

e: I'm also going to add Shogun here because it fits the theme really well, even though it's not about outer space type aliens. Really great read in the historical fiction genre where Japan is as alien a culture to the protagonist as any tentacled green alien would be to modern day people.

e2:

quote:

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Wellworld series, kinda

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 16, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

regulargonzalez posted:

The Tommyknockers by Stephen King

Short stories:
Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell
I Am the Doorway by Stephen King
The Mist by Stephen King (novella)
Beachworld by Stephen King

The first book of Larry Niven's Known Space series, World of Ptavvs
Contact by Carl Sagan, kinda (one way communication, so it's not "dealing with them" per se)
Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells

It's a short story, but First Contact by Murray Leinster is a really superlative example.

Probably not in the vein you're looking for but technically fits the qualifications:
The Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Mission: Earth by L. Ron Hubbard (don't read these books)

Kinda fits:
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

e: I'm also going to add Shogun here because it fits the theme really well, even though it's not about outer space type aliens. Really great read in the historical fiction genre where Japan is as alien a culture to the protagonist as any tentacled green alien would be to modern day people.

e2:

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin
The Wellworld series, kinda

Down With People posted:

Peter Watts' Blindsight is all three, pretty much.

Thanks - I've read some and others turned me off reading the blurb but I'll give Blindsight a go and Shogun (if I can avoid seeing the main character as Tom Cruise).

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

or

The Martian Chronicles! Also Solaris and 2001, which is kind of a cousin to the already-mentioned Childhood's End. The Left Hand of Darkness is also great, but I would take that a step further and read the entire Hainish Cycle, a loose set of stories that take place in the same universe and focus a lot on the sociology of other cultures. The Forever War and The Old Man's War kinda fit the bill, too.

If you decide to tackle Blindsight- which I loved, but is not for everyone- I think watching this video on his website will help make sense of something that confused the poo poo out me for a while.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Thanks - I've read some and others turned me off reading the blurb but I'll give Blindsight a go and Shogun (if I can avoid seeing the main character as Tom Cruise).

Don't worry, he's actually Richard Chamberlain.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

mcustic posted:

Don't worry, he's actually Richard Chamberlain.

While this is true, I'll be damned if I don't have 70s era Sean Connery in mind every time I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Hi book goons,

Admittedly, I'm not a huge reader, but after commuting for a year on a hour long train ride, I need something to do, so I picked up a kindle... problem is I'm so out of the loop with books it isn't funny. I'm looking for recommendations for authors similar to Brett Easton Ellis, Hunter S. Thompson, and Chuck Pahlaniuk, due to the fact that I enjoy their general overtones of bleak, depressing, real life with bouts of drug and alcohol abuse mixed in. Are there any quintessential sex, drugs, and rock and roll books I've been missing out on? I also enjoy the general drug culture. Thanks!