Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Does anyone here have experience with/advice about garden tractors? I've done some asking around at dealers and also started doing a bit of research online, but I'd be interested in hearing any first-hand experiences (good or bad). I have just over an acre yard, and I estimate that I gardened about an eighth of an acre this past summer. The size pushed the limits of what I could manage with my rototiller, wheelbarrow, and shovel, and I'd like to at least be able to keep control of next year, and preferably expand my growing area. I'd also like to use it for winter snow removal and general landscaping (i.e. moving piles of dirt around, haling stuff in a tow-behind trailer, tilling, and even some mowing).

It seems like I want something comparable to a John Deere X500 or better, but I'll be buying used if I go that route. I could get a brand new consumer level tractor, like a Craftsman, but my impression is that I'd just be throwing away money on a crappy machine that's not really up to the tasks I want to perform. There are old mowers and tractors available on Craigslist, but I don't know if I'm really doing myself any favors getting a 30 year old Allis Chalmers, either, if only because it must be a bitch to find parts and/or attachments for them. Also, I don't mind changing my own oil or doing other light maintenance, but I'm not looking for any more projects in my life right now. I want a tool, not a new hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I don't know anything about tractors but is there anywhere you can rent one for the big jobs. Sounds like you should get a small mower for the routine jobs and just rent a bigger one for the big jobs.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Peristalsis posted:

Does anyone here have experience with/advice about garden tractors? I've done some asking around at dealers and also started doing a bit of research online, but I'd be interested in hearing any first-hand experiences (good or bad). I have just over an acre yard, and I estimate that I gardened about an eighth of an acre this past summer. The size pushed the limits of what I could manage with my rototiller, wheelbarrow, and shovel, and I'd like to at least be able to keep control of next year, and preferably expand my growing area. I'd also like to use it for winter snow removal and general landscaping (i.e. moving piles of dirt around, haling stuff in a tow-behind trailer, tilling, and even some mowing).

It seems like I want something comparable to a John Deere X500 or better, but I'll be buying used if I go that route. I could get a brand new consumer level tractor, like a Craftsman, but my impression is that I'd just be throwing away money on a crappy machine that's not really up to the tasks I want to perform. There are old mowers and tractors available on Craigslist, but I don't know if I'm really doing myself any favors getting a 30 year old Allis Chalmers, either, if only because it must be a bitch to find parts and/or attachments for them. Also, I don't mind changing my own oil or doing other light maintenance, but I'm not looking for any more projects in my life right now. I want a tool, not a new hobby.

Where do you live? Are you in the US? I have some experience with this and would be happy to help. I think you would be well served with a Kubota. We are coming off the fall harvest season so many dealers will be selling their 2013 harvest rentals, so there are deals to be had.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

cowofwar posted:

I don't know anything about tractors but is there anywhere you can rent one for the big jobs. Sounds like you should get a small mower for the routine jobs and just rent a bigger one for the big jobs.

That's a good question. I don't think I've seen rentals around here, but I haven't really looked. One issue with a rental is that I don't have a truck or trailer to get it to my house and back, but I may look into the possibility. I'm not going to get one so big that it's a real farm tractor, just one that can help me with my gardening. Which is to say, if I relied on rentals, I might have to rent one almost every weekend in the summer.

jvick posted:

Where do you live? Are you in the US? I have some experience with this and would be happy to help. I think you would be well served with a Kubota. We are coming off the fall harvest season so many dealers will be selling their 2013 harvest rentals, so there are deals to be had.

Thanks! I'm near Madison, Wisconsin, in the US. I've heard good things about Kubota, but they seemed like overkill for what I need (I could well be wrong). I did go to a dealer who tried to sell me a big, expensive Kubota a few months back, which probably turned me off more than it should have. Anything I get needs to be able to be stored in our 2 car garage, or, preferably, out in the shed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My parents had a pretty decent kiwifruit harvest this year.

That's off two three vines!

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 27, 2013

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Peristalsis posted:

Thanks! I'm near Madison, Wisconsin, in the US. I've heard good things about Kubota, but they seemed like overkill for what I need (I could well be wrong). I did go to a dealer who tried to sell me a big, expensive Kubota a few months back, which probably turned me off more than it should have. Anything I get needs to be able to be stored in our 2 car garage, or, preferably, out in the shed.

For just an acre, a tractor may be overkill. Have you thought about an ATV like a [url=http://powersports.honda.com/2014/fourtrax-recon.aspx]Honda FourTrax[url] (~$5k). This is what I have for the guys that work on our ranch. They are super versatile, and strong. Plus, they can take MANY attachments, such as a Bush Hog rotary cutter. The only thing that would be tough to find would be a rototiller. For that you'd most likely need a PTO tractor.

I don't own a Kubota, but many of our friends have them on their ranch and love them. My fiance's father works for a dealer that handles Kubotas - I'll ask what he recommends. I know Kubota also makes many attachments including PTO mowers, rototillers, and snow blowers.

Shifty Pony posted:

Kiwis

drat that's awesome! My mother's family used to grow Kiwi's but those have since been taken out and replaced with Walnuts. I miss fresh kiwis - I'm super jealous!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Marchegiana posted:

I use diatomaceous earth for hard to see leaf-eaters. It's actually a natural stone, comprised of the fossilized remains of diatoms. For us humans it's no more dangerous than talcum powder but for bugs it's like shards of glass that just tears them up and dehydrates them to death. Bugs have to crawl through it to be affected so sprinkling it only on the leaves and not the flowers won't affect any pollinators that happen by.

Diatomaceous earth is a little nastier then talc. while it's no where near as bad as insects for humans, sharp little bits of microscopic glass is still are unpleasant. One time I was trying to control some bugs in some planters in my bedroom and despite airing it out for a half hour, I still developed a cough and scratchy eyes the next day. It didn't cause any permanent damage, it still can be unpleasant stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ It's also not cheap either, iirc. Aren't there starting to be shortages?

Peristalsis posted:

That's a good question. I don't think I've seen rentals around here, but I haven't really looked. One issue with a rental is that I don't have a truck or trailer to get it to my house and back, but I may look into the possibility. I'm not going to get one so big that it's a real farm tractor, just one that can help me with my gardening. Which is to say, if I relied on rentals, I might have to rent one almost every weekend in the summer.
It shouldn't be too hard to find a local business which rents heavier tools and equipment, I know my dad rented a trencher one time, and a little bobcat dozer for another project, and you could definitely find a rototiller or a tractor with the right attachment. If you live in WI, I have a kind of a hard time imagining you having a hard time finding a place like that as well.

Renting something like that tends to include a trailer as well, I believe.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Viscous Soda posted:

Diatomaceous earth is a little nastier then talc. while it's no where near as bad as insects for humans, sharp little bits of microscopic glass is still are unpleasant. One time I was trying to control some bugs in some planters in my bedroom and despite airing it out for a half hour, I still developed a cough and scratchy eyes the next day. It didn't cause any permanent damage, it still can be unpleasant stuff.

There are two grades of diatomaceous earth- food grade and filter grade. Food grade literally is safe enough to eat, and is used as a food additive for livestock to keep bugs from eating their feed. Obviously you don't want to go breathing it in, but I wouldn't want to breathe in talcum or cornstarch either, and the end result for all of them would be about the same. Filter grade has been heated to increase crystallization of the silica in the diatomite and is not recommended for pesticide use. That's the stuff that will mess you up.

I haven't heard of any shortages of diatomite recently, I thought it was vermiculite that was starting to skyrocket in price.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Peristalsis posted:

Hello fellow Sconnie!

What is your price range? I'd shy away from the Craigslist ads unless you really knew what you were looking at.

From your other responses, I think you may be right in the middle of a glorified lawn mower and a small utility tractor (much like the Kubota suggestion). On an acre, the smallest utility tractor is likely overkill, but the glorified mower may not have the capabilities that you are looking for. I think the thing that you really need to ask yourself is "How much am I really going to use this machine for each given activity?" and go from there. You sound like you want a machine that will do just about everything, but that is generally not necessary (and out of budget) for most people.

The other factor can be storage, as well.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

theacox posted:

Hello fellow Sconnie!

What is your price range? I'd shy away from the Craigslist ads unless you really knew what you were looking at.

From your other responses, I think you may be right in the middle of a glorified lawn mower and a small utility tractor (much like the Kubota suggestion). On an acre, the smallest utility tractor is likely overkill, but the glorified mower may not have the capabilities that you are looking for. I think the thing that you really need to ask yourself is "How much am I really going to use this machine for each given activity?" and go from there. You sound like you want a machine that will do just about everything, but that is generally not necessary (and out of budget) for most people.

The other factor can be storage, as well.

That's sort of my dilemma - I don't just want to get a riding mower and wear it out in 6 months with tasks it isn't designed to handle, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a professional grade farm tractor for my little exercise in self sufficiency (or self delusion - take your pick). On Craigslist, I guess I've mostly been looking at older machines under $1500. In principle, I don't mind spending more for the right tool, and I've sort of been shying away from CL in favor of local dealers' used stock. Unfortunately, those are pretty depleted this time of year, though the sales folks I've talked with have actually seemed pretty honest about what they do and don't have, with at least one referring me to competitors as well as to their other location.

I'd be storing it in an unheated area - either the garage or our outdoor shed.

I guess that what's frustrating is that there apparently used to be a sizable niche for this sort of thing - Allis Chalmers and Simplicity seem to have had lots of them out, and John Deere still makes some. I've also seen claims that there's a good supply of tiny tractors in Japan, with some sort of grey market for them in the US.

coyo7e posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to find a local business which rents heavier tools and equipment, I know my dad rented a trencher one time, and a little bobcat dozer for another project, and you could definitely find a rototiller or a tractor with the right attachment. If you live in WI, I have a kind of a hard time imagining you having a hard time finding a place like that as well.

Renting something like that tends to include a trailer as well, I believe.

You're probably right, I just haven't really looked into rentals (yet). My concern is that, in the summer, I spend a LOT of time gardening, and I'm not exaggerating when I say I can imagine wanting to use a tractor like this every weekend. If I owned one with the attachments I want, I could easily use it several days per week. We have some grass we need to cut, I need to till lots of areas in the spring and occasionally in the summer, I want to make some raised beds and do some other landscaping that would be easier with a tractor to haul/push things around, etc. Oh, and it'd be nice to hook up a snow scraper in the winter, as long as I have the drat thing anyway.

jvick posted:

For just an acre, a tractor may be overkill. Have you thought about an ATV like a Honda FourTrax (~$5k). This is what I have for the guys that work on our ranch. They are super versatile, and strong. Plus, they can take MANY attachments, such as a Bush Hog rotary cutter. The only thing that would be tough to find would be a rototiller. For that you'd most likely need a PTO tractor.

I don't own a Kubota, but many of our friends have them on their ranch and love them. My fiance's father works for a dealer that handles Kubotas - I'll ask what he recommends. I know Kubota also makes many attachments including PTO mowers, rototillers, and snow blowers.

I hadn't considered an ATV. That seems ... odd, I guess, but maybe I'll look into it. I've ridden them before, since my dad uses them for hunting. In fact, he has an old Honda ATV right now. I do need something that will till, though. I have an aging rototiller, and when it dies, I want whatever tractor or other tool I get to be able to take over the tilling. I don't want to have a tractor AND a tiller AND a snowblower, etc.

And just to be clear, I'm specifically looking at garden tractors, not real farm tractors. In my mind, there's a pretty big gap between, say, the X500 and picking up an old Ford 8N.

Incidentally, I've never lived on more than a standard, suburban, quarter acre lot before (i.e. I've never even thought about using a riding mower to mow a lawn), and it's amazing to me what people seem willing to spend on freaking lawnmowers for big lawns. Some of these riding mowers cost more than my first car did, and have slicker, glossier advertising materials for them to boot. Every time I go into a shop that sells these things, I hear the King of the Hill theme in my head. If you think you need headlights, power steering, and three reverse gears on your lawnmower, you might want to step back and really examine your life. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing out loud at the ridiculous ads in one John Deere shop, implying you just weren't much of a man if you haven't performed the perfect mow with the perfect mowing machine at some point in your life.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 4, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Peristalsis posted:

I hadn't considered an ATV. That seems ... odd, I guess, but maybe I'll look into it. I've ridden them before, since my dad uses them for hunting. In fact, he has an old Honda ATV right now. I do need something that will till, though.

OK, this right here is where I got to the idea that you are looking for one thing that can do everything you can imagine something like that might be able to do. What happens when and if you find something like that is that it will do everything somewhere between mediocre to poorly.

I think you need to catalog what you want something to do. If you need an automated wheelbarrow and something that mows your lawn a small lawn tractor with a trailer (better yet a dump trailer) would do.

You want something to get snow off your driveway? Sure....you may be able to put a blade in front of that. But the turf tires you want to have on it in the summer won't do much in the winter, so you'll need to put chains on it. And then it's still a subpar option. But if your driveway is small enough it might work. But if your driveway is that small a snowblower would do much better.

And tilling? Unless you are cultivating more than 1/2 an acre you're going to be walking behind a tiller. Anything that you're going to ride on isn't going to turn inside the bounds of your small garden. Not to mention you shouldn't be tilling to that extent every year, but that's a different story.

So if you want some real suggestions, how about cataloging the functions you actually need. You may just be surprised at how easy and simple it may be to use purpose built equipment and/or find other ways to do what you are trying to accomplish.

Peristalsis posted:

Incidentally, I've never lived on more than a standard, suburban, quarter acre lot before

FYI, this is becoming apparent. Which is why I'm suggesting you stop asking about the thing you think will solve your problems and start talking about what you actually need to accomplish.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This relentless fall rain has been hard on my squash and zucchini. Plenty of water is good, but the constant moisture has alowed the powdery mildew to just go nuts.

The wind also blew the zucchini around a bit.

But this was mainly intended to be just a trail "can things grow here" for the price of 2 discounted packets of seed, before going all out next spring and summer, hence not really caring too much about plant spacing or thinning. As a trail it has turned out quite well!

I will need to have something nearby to draw the bees in the spring but that won't be hard to engineer.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Peristalsis posted:

it's amazing to me what people seem willing to spend on freaking lawnmowers for big lawns.

I've seen full-on neighborhood pissing contests over who can buy the fanciest (most expensive) mower. I'll never understand it.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

theacox posted:

I've seen full-on neighborhood pissing contests over who can buy the fanciest (most expensive) mower. I'll never understand it.

Must have something to do with their small penises and fat wives.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

theacox posted:

Hey gently caress you, I bought my Husqvarna because I will never, ever buy a chainsaw but I always wanted a Husky (it's my name).. :(

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Pffff lawns, all we have here is xeriscape.
I'm hoping more of my tomatoes will get ripe, I picked one this weekend and it was really good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been sprouting basil cuttings in water, then planting when they have roots out. They seem great for a bit, then out of nowhere the top leaves turn black and shrivel, the whole thing wilts and dies in a couple of days. This happened to three cuttings I had in cups, and the one that looked healthy still I transferred to a big pot and it has been fine, but today it looks like it's going to poo poo too. What could be going on here? When I first put soil in and planted it I watered a bit since the soil was totally dry, but that's all I've done to it. The soil is a mix of moist and dry areas, nothing muddy or sopping wet or anything.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

coyo7e posted:

Hey gently caress you, I bought my Husqvarna because I will never, ever buy a chainsaw but I always wanted a Husky (it's my name).. :(

I bought a high end Honda, because I don't want to have to deal with engine issues, like ever.

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been sprouting basil cuttings in water, then planting when they have roots out. They seem great for a bit, then out of nowhere the top leaves turn black and shrivel, the whole thing wilts and dies in a couple of days. This happened to three cuttings I had in cups, and the one that looked healthy still I transferred to a big pot and it has been fine, but today it looks like it's going to poo poo too. What could be going on here? When I first put soil in and planted it I watered a bit since the soil was totally dry, but that's all I've done to it. The soil is a mix of moist and dry areas, nothing muddy or sopping wet or anything.

Dunno. Maybe when you plant them cut down the leaves to about 1/3 and keep them in the shade for a couple days till new growth happens? Just spitballing here.

So I am torn here. My grape vines (as I mismanaged them till too late*) did not make it to the bottom wire before frost. The trunks are just under pencil width. Wondering if I should make cuttings to start indoors from the existing trunks, while leaving a couple buds to start from on the existing plants, or just leave them as-is and hope I can coax growth from the top buds in the spring for the cordons. My main worry about the latter is if it gets horrifically cold here again this winter, and the trunk dies off. Being that it's pretty thin. Good news is that the roots should be fine with over a year of growth now. Should be deep enough that growth of some sort should happen next year.

*In my ignorance I allowed too much growth at the base. Which stunted the growth of the main trunk. Once I removed the bottom growth the main trunk went crazy upwards. Sadly it was too little too late.

I may be over-thinking it in retrospect, as I cannot remember what breed they were. Having been purchases from home depot just to see if I could grow grapes.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 15, 2013

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Well, I finally picked the last of my tomatoes. The vines still look great and the fruits were still getting ripe, but we just had two days of rain and more to come. I forgot to cover them up, and I'm pretty sure they'll all crack if left on the vine. A couple of them already have.

Anyone care for pickled green tomato? I sure hope I do.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Mizufusion posted:

Well, I finally picked the last of my tomatoes. The vines still look great and the fruits were still getting ripe, but we just had two days of rain and more to come. I forgot to cover them up, and I'm pretty sure they'll all crack if left on the vine. A couple of them already have.

A bunch of my green tomatoes are still waiting to be turned into green tomato chutney. Spread out on cooling racks for several weeks none have gone bad and about half developed at least some color. I did a similar recipe last year with cider vinegar and honey that was great but I didn't can it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grand Fromage posted:

If you're in the northern hemisphere, it could be cold. Basil dies when it gets colder than about 50°F/10°C, and isn't really happy unless the temperatures are a good bit higher than that. You can still grow basil indoors in winter if you have a sunny windowsill, though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My indoor pepper plant has been doing great up until now, when it started to kind of dry off and drop leaves. At first I thought it was the lack of sunlight or lower temperatures, but now I noticed it crawling with these little fuckers (that I apparently couldn't focus on):

Any ideas what these are and how to deal with them? They seem to be killing the plant :(

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Spider mites, take it outside and hit it with some pyrethrin spray. Make sure you're watering it enough, maybe mist the plant every so often with a spritz bottle. Spider mites tend to crop up when conditions are too dry, my peppers get them in winter when they're inside and in mid-summer when they're being dessicated by the hot winds here. It will take a couple weeks of treatment to totally get rid of them, they'll all die off from the initial spray but then eggs/larvae will develop into adults and start the cycle again, so just take a look at it once a day and nail any more of the little bastards you see crop up.

I use the pyrethin spray because it's cheap, breaks down after a day or so's exposure to UV light, and washes off easily. Don't let your pets get to it for a couple days post-spray though, it will make cats pretty ill(they have nearly useless livers) and dogs will feel pretty terrible from ingesting it too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks a lot! No pets that live outside of an aquarium so I'll give pyrethin a go. Can the spider mites actually damage the plant to the point that it appears to be drying out and dying, or is that likely a separate issue of being too dry dry, cold or something like that? I do water it about the same way I have before so that's why I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

Mizufusion posted:

I had a boatload of green tomatoes last year, nearly a 5 gal. bucketful. I ended up ripening them by layering tomatoes and newspaper in a big cardboard box, and putting a ripening banana in each box. I checked them every 3 days or so. Took quite a while, but it worked way better than I expected, probably 95% success and no rotten ones. I would have done that this year, if my vines had been more productive. :smith:

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks a lot! No pets that live outside of an aquarium so I'll give pyrethin a go. Can the spider mites actually damage the plant to the point that it appears to be drying out and dying, or is that likely a separate issue of being too dry dry, cold or something like that? I do water it about the same way I have before so that's why I'm not sure what's going on with it.

Little of A, little of B. They infest plants that are stressed from excessive dryness typically, but they mine the leaves and rob it even further through their feeding action.

Basically your pepper plant is stressed out, spider mites moved in, now it's got a minor infestation.

Watch those pyrethrins around the aquarium too, tropical fish are also very sensitive to pesticides.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
We just planted an pear PYRUS COMMUNIS 'DOYENNE DU COMICE’.

Now there are people that say you need to give an pear extra calcium but some disagree?

Any tips

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Orions Lord posted:

Now there are people that say you need to give an pear extra calcium but some disagree?

Any tips

Have you done a soil test?

Stella Otto has a very good book on small-scale fruit tree growing: The Backyard Orchardist. I just got her book on berries and I wish I'd gotten it sooner. It covers your typical berries like blackberry, raspberry, currants, gooseberries but also rhubarb, hardy kiwi and grapes.

The other book you might check out is from Michael Phillips: The Holistic Orchard. It's a bit less organized and harder to parse but there's a lot of good info in there.

Doyenne du Comice is an excellent choice by the way, here's a little more detail on it: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/search.pl?accid=%20PI+271658

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Have you done a soil test?

Stella Otto has a very good book on small-scale fruit tree growing: The Backyard Orchardist. I just got her book on berries and I wish I'd gotten it sooner. It covers your typical berries like blackberry, raspberry, currants, gooseberries but also rhubarb, hardy kiwi and grapes.

The other book you might check out is from Michael Phillips: The Holistic Orchard. It's a bit less organized and harder to parse but there's a lot of good info in there.

Doyenne du Comice is an excellent choice by the way, here's a little more detail on it: http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/search.pl?accid=%20PI+271658

Thanks for the info I ordered both.
We are doing things also the Biological way here.

The last 2 years we planted 22 fruit trees I think 8 high ones and the garden is full now.

I know an soil test would be the best. I will check how I can start one.

http://i.imgur.com/LbPHBHM.jpg one of the semi half apple trees I think an Grany Smith.

Orions Lord fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 4, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Orions Lord posted:

Thanks for the info I ordered both.
We are doing things also the Biological way here.

The last 2 years we planted 22 fruit trees I think 8 high ones and the garden is full now.

I know an soil test would be the best. I will check how I can start one.

http://i.imgur.com/LbPHBHM.jpg one of the semi half apple trees I think an Grany Smith.

If you're in the US most counties will have an extension office that does cheap soil tests. My county has a non-profit conservation district that offers discounted tests, $20 for the basics and I think they'll check trace minerals for a little extra. The DIY soil testing kits are basically useless.

Since we're talking fruit trees, here's a neat project I found last night, a 12 acre commecrial perma/polyculture orchard in Montreal, Canada: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oasselin/the-permaculture-orchard-beyond-organic

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Orions Lord posted:

Any tips

Check if any of your neighbours have juniper trees, and try to persuade them not to plant any (or only disease resistant varieties). Pear rust is nasty, but requires both a pear and a juniper tree near each other (within 30m/100') for its complete life cycle.

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts/query/displayProblem.asp?tableName=plant&problemID=802

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Check if any of your neighbours have juniper trees, and try to persuade them not to plant any (or only disease resistant varieties). Pear rust is nasty, but requires both a pear and a juniper tree near each other (within 30m/100') for its complete life cycle.

http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts/query/displayProblem.asp?tableName=plant&problemID=802

I live in Belgium Kalmthout more or less ideal for the Juniper tree.
I think they are also protected by law so I can't burn them down :aaa:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Well, I'm glad i picked a lot of green tomatoes Sunday. Most are ripening, and the plants have all died from frost as of today. Yesterday was cold enough to make them unhappy, but last night put them out of their misery. All the tomatoes, peppers, beans, melons and basil are dead, and so are the cucumbers.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
It just got California cold here, with overnight temps in the low 30s. I think my summer crops are finally dead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I planted an apple tree this past spring and it still has leaves on it?

My older apple tree dropped its leaves already. Its been in the lower 20's (in NC). The new one actually sprouted a few flowers in the fall that I plucked off. Should I be concerned my tree thinks its in Australia?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

It was 74 today in Greensboro with a winter weather advisory for tomorrow. NC plants don't know what the gently caress this year.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody know the English name for this leafy green? Seen it in Chinese grocery stores in America and now this garden store shot in Taiwan. My wife's favorite. Looks kinda like arugula but tastes different.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Deer tongue lettuce, maybe? I've never had it before, but it looks similar and that sign says something about deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Looks like dandelion to me. According to wikipedia dandelion greens and roots are part of some traditional Asian cuisines.

Edit: Looks pretty close:

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 8, 2013