Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

the nicker posted:

Yeah, the knob on the sub will go up to 120hz or something but the receiver is actually handling the low pass. Usually 80hz or whatever you have it set to.

Does it matter what I have the sub set to on the receiver? I have a few options that go all the way up to 250Hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

teagone posted:

Does it matter what I have the sub set to on the receiver? I have a few options that go all the way up to 250Hz.

You'll want to set it to somewhere between 60-100 Hz depending on how large your main speakers are. This setting could also affect crossover frequency on your main speakers, depending on how your receiver is set up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zorilla posted:

You'll want to set it to somewhere between 60-100 Hz depending on how large your main speakers are. This setting could also affect crossover frequency on your main speakers, depending on how your receiver is set up.

I have the Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf speakers, and their crossover frequency is currently set to 80Hz on my Denon AVR-E200 (80Hz for the speakers was recommended in the AVR's manual).

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Yeah 80hz is a good setting for those. I used 100 for the floor standing speakers. Also, if the Denon supports it, in the speaker setup menu, set the front R and L speakers to "small" if you haven't already.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gomiboy posted:

Yeah 80hz is a good setting for those. I used 100 for the floor standing speakers. Also, if the Denon supports it, in the speaker setup menu, set the front R and L speakers to "small" if you haven't already.

They're currently set to large because I don't have the sub actually hooked up yet (the sub shipped a lot faster than the cables). Does it matter if the sub is present or not to set the speakers to small?

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

Gomiboy posted:

I have the same Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set, but I have the following setup:

Floorstanding x2 (FL and FR) - Large, 100hz
Center - Small, 80hz
Bookshelf x2 (RR and RL) - Small, 80hz

PSW10 sub - 80hz

Is there a better setting for them? I'm using a Denon AVRe-400

EDIT: Changed the setting on the center to small from large.

Jeratain fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 26, 2013

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Go ahead...if it sounds crap then you can always change it back until the cables get there. I don't think much will change until the sub is actually connected.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Jeratain posted:

I have the same Andrew Jones Pioneer speaker set, but I have the following setup:

Center - Large, 100hz

PSW10 sub - 80hz

That looks pretty good - I would maybe try the sub @ 100hz and see if you notice a difference. Right now you have an overlap between sub and front speakers, and since the fronts don't have a "woofer" per se I would let the sub handle most of the bass and the fronts the midrange, where they are most suited.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Gomiboy posted:

That looks pretty good - I would maybe try the sub @ 100hz and see if you notice a difference. Right now you have an overlap between sub and front speakers, and since the fronts don't have a "woofer" per se I would let the sub handle most of the bass and the fronts the midrange, where they are most suited.

Thanks. I actually made a mistake in my post above. I meant to say that the center channel is set to Small, 80hz

If anyone else has played around with a different configuration on those speakers, do chime in, as I'd love to understand what difference the settings would ultimately make, since it's subtle to my ears at this point. :)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

If you had to choose between the Denon AVR-E300 and the AVR-1613. Which would you get? The AVR-1613 is like $10 cheaper.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

The E300 is the replacement/newer model of the 1613. They are pretty similar. The E300 has a different (better?) GUI and has a powered USB slot. Other than that, they look exactly the same.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm not sure what the experts in this thread think, but costco has the sony STR-DN1030 on sale for 350. It retails for around 500 at most places. It was a huge upgrade for me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeratain posted:

Center - Small, 80hz

PSW10 sub - 80hz

EDIT: Changed the setting on the center to small from large.

Denon's settings are kind of wonky. There are a couple settings that they allow the user to change which shouldn't be adjustible. This is partly due to their software coders not understanding high and lowpass filters etc.

Floorstanding x2 (FL and FR) - Small, 80hz
Center - Small, 80hz

The sub should have it's lowpass/crossover knob set to max, usually 120hz.
Denon also allows you to adjust a lowpass for the sub within the receiver menu. This is wrong and shouldn't be allowed. It should be set to 120hz (Because the .1 on digital tracks as an allowable range from 0hz - 120hz). If you set the LFE setting within the menu below this, you will be missing content on the .1 channel.

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

quote:

Q. What's the deal with the "LFE" setting in the Advanced Crossover menu? For example, my speakers were set to a 120Hz crossover and the LFE crossover is 80Hz, does that mean I am going to miss some content between 80 and 120Hz??

A. The first thing to understand is that the LFE setting in the crossover menu is NOT a crossover!! For some reason, receiver manufacturers stuck this option in the crossover menu, and it is a huge source of confusion for many users.

A "crossover", by definition, involves two speakers -- the frequencies above a certain "crossover" point are given to the satellite speakers, the frequencies below the crossover are sent to the dedicated subwoofer. The "LFE" setting, however, is not a crossover, it is simply a low-pass filter (LPF) on the LFE channel of a surround mix. All it does is put an upper-limit on the LFE channel, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the crossovers and "bass management" taking place in the receiver.

It is important to understand that the “LFE” is not the same thing as the “bass” channel. Many people are concerned that they will “lose” bass if there is a mismatch between the LFE setting and the crossovers. However, again, this LFE setting has absolutely nothing to do with the redirected bass from the other speakers. The LFE channel is a totally separate channel and contains “supplementary” bass effects.

The LFE setting should be turned to 120Hz and left there, regardless of any of your other speaker settings. This is the correct setting and is recommmended specifically in the Audyssey setup guide. So set it to 120Hz and forget it!!

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

Thank you for the information! I will promptly change the settings and see how it goes from there. It's very easy to get confused with this all, especially since the Audyssey automatic setup sets some of those defaults.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
So I'm going to be moving at the end of the year and am looking at about 2 months to buy some things before I move in. Thanks to this thread and some general Amazon reviews, I think I'm going with the Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver and the Pioneer Andrew Jones floor standing speakers + center channel. Plus cables of course. I will add a sub later as I get more funds. I'd rather get a solid foundation first.

Since I have a few months and they fall in the holiday season, is there any chance I get a good deal on either of these pieces? If so, what are the best places to monitor for deals? Worst case I just buy them all at regular price when I go to move, but if I can save a few bucks and spread out my spending, I'm happy to do it.

(also if I picked a really dumb receiver, feel free to shout out)

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I'm waiting until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to buy a receiver, hoping that there will be some sort of savings to be had.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

beergod posted:

I'm not sure what the experts in this thread think, but costco has the sony STR-DN1030 on sale for 350. It retails for around 500 at most places. It was a huge upgrade for me.

I've heard good things about this box, it was my 2nd choice after my Yamaha.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Drunk Badger posted:

Hmm, I'm looking at a 515 or 616. How good is Onyko's / Accessories4less's support if that happened to mine?
I had HDMI issues on my 1 year old 616. I could bring it to a local repair centre here in Holland and it got repaired within a week without any fuss. It's been solid ever since.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Depending on your receiver, setting the front speakers to Large will make them do all the bass, and you will get nothing out of the sub. If you have a sub, you want to keep them as Small so the receiver will then start sending LFE to the sub. General rule of thumb that I've found to work is 10-20hz cross over.

Ie.

Front speakers set to 50hz, small. (Magnepan)
Sub set to 70hz. (PSW10)

Some receivers also allow the speakers to be run as large will then have an enhanced bass option that will allow you to turn the sub on and off while having the speakers as large. Speakers that do good low end like some Martin Logans that you also want to run subs with to get the really lowlow lows.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jonathan posted:

Denon's settings are kind of wonky. There are a couple settings that they allow the user to change which shouldn't be adjustible. This is partly due to their software coders not understanding high and lowpass filters etc.

Floorstanding x2 (FL and FR) - Small, 80hz
Center - Small, 80hz

The sub should have it's lowpass/crossover knob set to max, usually 120hz.
Denon also allows you to adjust a lowpass for the sub within the receiver menu. This is wrong and shouldn't be allowed. It should be set to 120hz (Because the .1 on digital tracks as an allowable range from 0hz - 120hz). If you set the LFE setting within the menu below this, you will be missing content on the .1 channel.

http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html

My Denon AVR-E200 made the LFE setting separate from the speaker crossovers, so I guess newer AVRs took care of the confusion?

Also, I got my subwoofer cables in today. I put the lowpass on my PSW10 all the way to 160, set the LFE to 120Hz on the receiver and drat it sounds amazing. My only question is what the Phase switch on the back of the sub should be set to? Right now I have it at 0. Under what circumstance would I switch it to 180?

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

Phase switch is for when the low-end output from speakers and sub are canceling each other out. Often this is because you might have a speaker wired "backwards." If all of your wiring is consistent then don't worry about it, but if your bass seems weird or flabby you can hit the phase switch to see if that improves things. In your case I would leave it at zero unless you notice a problem.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gomiboy posted:

Phase switch is for when the low-end output from speakers and sub are canceling each other out. Often this is because you might have a speaker wired "backwards." If all of your wiring is consistent then don't worry about it, but if your bass seems weird or flabby you can hit the phase switch to see if that improves things. In your case I would leave it at zero unless you notice a problem.

Brilliant. Thanks again for all your help :)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do we have a room treatment guide anywhere? The room that I would most like to have my stuff set up in is a giant great room with... a tiled floor. I can go at it with area rugs and wall hangings, but I'd really appreciate a starting point.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Here are some pretty cool DIY sound absorbing posters if you are a bit handy: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap

Rugs and soft furniture should help, too.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Anyone want a Marantz SR7007 (I think)? My friend moved across country and left it at his house for me to sell. He only used it for about 4 months, so it's pretty much perfect as far as I know. He's an idiot for not taking it with him because there is going to be a much bigger market for a high end receiver in San Francisco than there is here in bumblefuck, PA. So of course now it's "my problem"

Amazon has it new for $1600, he's asking $900 (a benny less than used ones from amazon).

If there is any interest PM me, email me (username gmail) or tell me to create a for sale post on the forum and I'll confirm the model number, get pics, etc. I'm sorry if this isn't kosher hockin' wares in this thread.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Scrapez posted:

Here are some pretty cool DIY sound absorbing posters if you are a bit handy: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap

Rugs and soft furniture should help, too.

:swoon: Amazing find!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Trip report:

Finally went and set up all my poo poo to just be a 3.0 l/c/r speaker setup with my receiver, and it works out fine. I think the last time it was hooked up, having the extra surround speakers and subwoofer just drowned out the center channel or something. Thanks for the tip about dialogue coming through center mostly!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Does anyone know why an Onkyo TX-NR509 would have issues with Spotify playback? Every other web service I tried works fine, and so does streaming over the network. Spotify has major issues with the music pausing for a few seconds like it's buffering. It's really annoying to listen to it like that.

The Onkyo has DHCP turned on, and is hard wired into a gigabit switch with Cat6. My WAN connection is 75/35 fiber. Spotify is fine on every other device.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

KillHour posted:

Does anyone know why an Onkyo TX-NR509 would have issues with Spotify playback? Every other web service I tried works fine, and so does streaming over the network. Spotify has major issues with the music pausing for a few seconds like it's buffering. It's really annoying to listen to it like that.

The Onkyo has DHCP turned on, and is hard wired into a gigabit switch with Cat6. My WAN connection is 75/35 fiber. Spotify is fine on every other device.

I've never been able to get Spotify to work correctly for more than a few minutes at a time on my NR414, if it works at all.

Onkyo will blame Spotify if you call them, and vice versa. I gave up.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone running the Onkyo TX-NR717? I see that newegg has it for $479.98 shipped.

I was looking hard at the Denon AVR-E400 but it's about the same price and seems like the Onkyo has a lot more features. Namely 3 zones and more power.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

jonathan posted:

quote:

The LFE setting should be turned to 120Hz and left there, regardless of any of your other speaker settings. This is the correct setting and is recommmended specifically in the Audyssey setup guide. So set it to 120Hz and forget it!!

My TX-NR818 has a setting in the menus called "LPF of LFE". Audyssey consistently sets this to 90 Hz whenever I run it. I guess I should manually set it to 120 Hz?

Any idea why it's doing this, though? Is it basically telling me "hey, your sub kind of sucks at higher frequencies, it'll sound like rear end if the LPF is where it's supposed to be"? This is the sub, for reference:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Scrapez posted:

Anyone running the Onkyo TX-NR717? I see that newegg has it for $479.98 shipped.

I was looking hard at the Denon AVR-E400 but it's about the same price and seems like the Onkyo has a lot more features. Namely 3 zones and more power.

Are you actually going to be using 3 zones and the additional power?

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Hey guys... I've lurked in this thread before, salivating over audiophile prospects for that day I decide to buy a house. Well, funny story, today I bought a house, and the owner conveyed four Thiel in-wall speakers. I think I have an idea of what I need to get the most out of these, but I don't want to break the bank. I also know I need additional speakers (sub, two book for L and R channel, and a center speaker). I just don't know where to start really. I've always been a single box home theater schmuck.

There is a chance I'll be getting my dad's old JBL L50s, they're in mint condition, he has babied them. But I'm not sure I want to waste them on the home theater, as I intend to have a separate system set up for vinyl and reel to reel in my studio (I do a lot of home recording). I dunno.

Any thoughts here? I really have minimal knowledge in this area. I can build a home studio for recording, but I have no loving clue when it comes to home theater.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

lowercasejames posted:

Well, funny story, today I bought a house, and the owner conveyed four Thiel in-wall speakers.

Grats on your house purchase!

How are the in-wall speakers installed? Surrounds for a 7.1 system? What's the limit for breaking bank?

quote:

There is a chance I'll be getting my dad's old JBL L50s, they're in mint condition, he has babied them. But I'm not sure I want to waste them on the home theater, as I intend to have a separate system set up for vinyl and reel to reel in my studio (I do a lot of home recording). I dunno.

Ooo. These are nice. Pair them with a vintage Marantz, Sansui or whatever your old man used?

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Hob_Gadling posted:

Grats on your house purchase!

How are the in-wall speakers installed? Surrounds for a 7.1 system? What's the limit for breaking bank?

Thanks man. There are four, looks like it's ready for a 7.1. Two in the back, then two sort of toward the back but definitely not all the way.

quote:

Ooo. These are nice. Pair them with a vintage Marantz, Sansui or whatever your old man used?

He has an old McIntosh (a 1978 C29 and a MR78 tuner), with a Marantz, and some old Revox gear (CD player and an old Reel to Reel) it's just beautiful. But I won't be getting that until we talk inheritance, which thankfully will be awhile.

I'm also receiver-less, I was thinking Onkyo, but I'm not sure.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Are you actually going to be using 3 zones and the additional power?

I was planning to use the 2nd zone for in-ceiling speakers on my back patio and then have a speaker selector to also use it in my workout room. Basically just hit the button for which I wanted since I probably won't have music going in both places at once. But having the patio on 2nd and workout on 3rd might be useful or more so having the garage wired in with the 3rd zone may be. If my wife is working out and I'm working in the garage it might be a time where we'd both want different sources.

It's certainly not a huge deal. The power probably wouldn't matter because I'm only pushing Anthony Gallo A'Divas which don't need a lot of power.

I was kind of swaying toward the Denon because I've always had Denon receivers and had good luck. I'm a bit concerned about all the HDMI issues the Onkyos have had in recent years.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I noticed something about the Sanus speaker stands I was about to buy - They have spikes going into the floor for carpet, however I have wood floors where I plan to use these. Does anyone have these without the spikes, and are they hard to knock over?

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-BF-31B-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00006JQ5O

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Drunk Badger posted:

I noticed something about the Sanus speaker stands I was about to buy - They have spikes going into the floor for carpet, however I have wood floors where I plan to use these. Does anyone have these without the spikes, and are they hard to knock over?

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-BF-31B-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00006JQ5O

I have that same model that I used without floor spikes. Wasn't a problem.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to help my folks for Christmas by modernizing their home A/V set-up, but there's one part of the setup I'm not sure how to address:

They have their surround setup in the living room & a couple speakers out on the porch, currently using two separate receivers to run them (some early-00s, pre-HDMI poo poo for the TV; some mid-70s failing harmon kardon stuff for the outdoor speakers).

It seems like this could be replaced with one receiver and something to hookup/switch the outdoor speakers on when needed but I don't know where to start looking for that second thing.

Probably a pretty simple question, just a lack of vocabulary on my part. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I know this is being asked a lot as we get closer to black friday, but what kind of discounts can I be looking for? Newegg has the Polk Monitor60s for $99/ea shipped, which I'm having a hard time saying no to. I see that last year they had the Monitor50s for $75/ea and while I don't know much about speaker stuff, these 60s look much nicer.

1) Are the 60s a good entry level investment for a guy looking to spend maybe $500 on a 2.1 setup with receiver?

2) Is the current price good enough for my BUY BUY BUY instinct to be let loose, or should I sit on my hands and wait for something better for Black Friday / Cyber Monday? I'm not looking to run out to fight crowds at my local store, but I don't mind sitting up at 2am mashing F5 if I need to.

E: Forgot the link

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 2, 2013