Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I've had limited success with waxed fly tying thread, but it was a little heavy for the scale. Are you married? Ask your wife to donate a couple hairs. Alternately I've heard of people pulling apart cross-stitch floss. Stretched sprue is still probably your best bet for straight runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

I've had limited success with waxed fly tying thread, but it was a little heavy for the scale. Are you married? Ask your wife to donate a couple hairs. Alternately I've heard of people pulling apart cross-stitch floss. Stretched sprue is still probably your best bet for straight runs.

Stretched sprune would be trickier but would probably be closest to scale. Otherwise, thin fishing line. Cotton thread would sag eventually.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

There's also EZ Line, which is supposedly very good. I haven't used it though.
http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/ez-line-black-charcoal-fine.html

Edit: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/vE47...%20tips.jpg.jpg

Mongolian Queef fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 31, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have seen people suggest heating nylon fishing wire and stretching it, but TBH it sounds like more effort than it's worth.

Hi-Liter
Mar 1, 2007

Floppy Ear.
Thanks for suggestions. I saw the EZ thread and that seemed like the best option, I'll have to look into seeing if they ship internationally because there doesn't appear to be any dealers who carry it in the U.S.

My girlfriend has got a head of long dark hair...That COULD work. I'll give it a shot actually haha!

I'd most likely burn through the fishing line trying to stretch it I'd imagine. Like mentioned, probably more work than reward there.

I'll tinker with stretching some sprue also and see what works out best.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I have seen people suggest heating nylon fishing wire and stretching it, but TBH it sounds like more effort than it's worth.

At some point the hobby stops being fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EZ line is really really good. It's springy so it's very easy to get tight and doesn't sag, unless you want it to sag.

Also I'm scratch building a building!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hi-Liter posted:

Thanks for suggestions. I saw the EZ thread and that seemed like the best option, I'll have to look into seeing if they ship internationally because there doesn't appear to be any dealers who carry it in the U.S.

These guys have it, but you have to mail them.

edit: 'Payment can be made by checks and money orders (sorry, no credit cards).' Jesus.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 1, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's all over ebay, just get it on ebay.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

EZ line is really really good. It's springy so it's very easy to get tight and doesn't sag, unless you want it to sag.

Also I'm scratch building a building!

Lego guy is out of scale.

Also are those containers just sitting on the road back there?

Also are you going to paint the Bicycle lanes green?

Awesome work as usual. You're located in BC right? Have you been to the big layout in Osoyoos? It' pretty cool, I'll dump a couple photos tonight if I can find them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

These guys have it, but you have to mail them.

edit: 'Payment can be made by checks and money orders (sorry, no credit cards).' Jesus.

Credit cards tax the merchant 3% on all transactions. If it's a small business, that makes it literally better to back away from credit/debit cards.

e: additional question for Mr. Jutter: does the whole 'containerized' trend in rail secretly annoy model railroaders, since it makes trains more homogenous?

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 1, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Credit cards tax the merchant 3% on all transactions. If it's a small business, that makes it literally better to back away from credit/debit cards.

e: additional question for Mr. Jutter: does the whole 'containerized' trend in rail secretly annoy model railroaders, since it makes trains more homogenous?

Model train nerds are gross and weird. Most are retired or near retired baby boomers with poor social skills and an absolute obsession with the golden years of the 50's. "Steam Transition Era" is what like 50% of train guys model and they give no shits about today because we're living in dark evil times when white men are an oppressed minority and we're not even allowed to shoot and kill graffiti terrorists.

People model what they like, so people who like long unit trains model modern times. People who like steam engines model the pre-war years. People who want a bit of everything except containers do the 50-60's because you can do steam AND diesel. They can also get extremely specific, like "I'm modeling eastern washington in the early summer of 1998". Why 1998 and not today? They'll have their reasons.

Also yes those are containers sitting there, they are waiting at the tram stop clearly.
I totally should paint my bike lanes a solid colour. I try to keep my layout modern or even FUTURE because I'm like 25% interested in trains and 75% interested in urban planning and traffic engineering and all that poo poo. Trying to make a nice vision of a happy green fantasy city on a fantasy island somewhere in the Salish Sea, probably between Nanaimo and Vancouver with a bridge connecting the mainland and Vancouver island.

Here's another project I'm working on. Horrible modern addition to a classic turn of the century building. I find my self doing things to purposefully offend the typical model train guy. I got a LOT of negative comments about my bike lanes for example.

It's probably going to be an art gallery on top, most likely showing MODERN ART or even street art drawn by urban ferals.

Here's the best picture I could dig up of my ez-line.

I experimented with a few materials and none looked good, ez-line is really the poo poo, there's no comparable alternatives.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 1, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Here's another project I'm working on. Horrible modern addition to a classic turn of the century building. I find my self doing things to purposefully offend the typical model train guy. I got a LOT of negative comments about my bike lanes for example.

It's probably going to be an art gallery on top, most likely showing MODERN ART or even street art drawn by urban ferals.

I love it. One of my uncles is an architect, I'm forwarding him your creation.

Also, I want to nominate you for some sort of SA poster excellence award for being the first poster I've heard of that's trolling by diorama. (I know you are just doing what you want and not looking for a reaction [mostly], but seriously. Negative comments about bike lanes?)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebakenezzer posted:

I love it. One of my uncles is an architect, I'm forwarding him your creation.

Also, I want to nominate you for some sort of SA poster excellence award for being the first poster I've heard of that's trolling by diorama. (I know you are just doing what you want and not looking for a reaction [mostly], but seriously. Negative comments about bike lanes?)

The model train community is pretty drat conservative. There's plenty of rad people there too, but a lot of them get into it to build fantasy "good old days before the urban ferals took over the white house" 50's worlds to loose them selves in. I try to build all my roads and everything to code and even bother the traffic engineering thread with lots of questions to get all my markings and geometry right and I can't imagine a modern city as dense as mine not having bike lanes so I added them. I post all my progress on a thread on the main big train forum and I immediately get comments like "Make sure to add a huge traffic jam from the stupid bike lanes!" and then a bunch of comments all agreeing how horrible this "fad" of bike lanes are and how it's just liberal social-engineers trying to destroy everything WAR ON CARS.

People make money making custom SUPPORT THE TROOPS decals for trains and all sorts of weird patriotic garbage. The forums and general model train "community" have pretty strict "NO POLITICS" rules but drat people drop a lot of very not at all subtle comments.

It's the same in war modelling. We all know the guy a little too into nazi tanks. No no he just likes the design he's totally not at all sympathetic or fetishizing them. He just really really likes WWII german stuff and by the way it was only the SS and a few top party memebers that really did anything wrong the german army was quite clean, why yes that's a collection of nazi flags in my workshop but it's pure historical interest! People gravitate towards topics that interest them or align with their politics. As an absolute straw-man of everything conservatives hate I'm of course modeling a dense urban centre where most people take trams or ride bikes and the streets are named after famous marxists and feminists (often both.) There's also like no chain-stores on my streets and I'm going to have some hella ethical fair trade vegan cafe's and poo poo.

Part of me wants to make a huge onion-article based billion dollar planned parenthood complex complete with refrigerated box cars to haul away all the murdered fetuses to the stem-cell research facility.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Model train nerds are gross and weird. [...]
Oh, you have those too? I'm always torn between visiting railroad modelers' forums for absolutely stunning works and not having to see those people or their posts. Having a store owner explain to you a worldwide Jewish conspiracy and the history of all his divorces 5 minutes after seeing you for the first time is par for the course. What the gently caress man, I just wanted some modeling flock I don't get in wargaming stores :gonk:

Also, those large-scale architectural models with human silhouettes/models for scale: where does one get those figures?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 2, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pierzak posted:

Oh, you have those too? I'm always torn between visiting railroad modelers' forums for absolutely stunning works and not having to see those people or their posts. Having a store owner explain to you a worldwide Jewish conspiracy and the history of all his divorces 5 minutes after seeing you for the first time is par for the course. What the gently caress man, I just wanted some modeling flock I don't get in wargaming stores :gonk:

Also, those large-scale architectural models with human silhouettes/models for scale: where does one get those figures?

What scale? There's a whole industry supporting architectural modelling and the scales they use. If you think model train poo poo is over priced, you ain't seen poo poo till you've explored the world of architectural modelling. A lot are just laser cut though.

Also my town has 2 train/hobby stores. One is run by the typical autism-spectrum old rear end in a top hat hobby nerds and the other is run by an extremely rad old hippie dude who has a huge beard with silver skulls woven into it, skull themed earings, and often wearing a black utility kilt. He's a cynical as gently caress old jaded hippie who was a drug dealer back in the day, went to prison, and decided model trains were better. He's a breath of fresh air vs the type the hobby usually attracts. Sometimes I just go down to the shop to chat with him about poo poo, he's a real pleasure. His wife makes goth/punk jewellery and sells it there and she's really nice too. So it's a model train/jewellery store. It's a pretty special place really.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 2, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baronjutter posted:

It's the same in war modelling.
What always gets me about war modelling is that in my local store I got talking to the dudes working there, as you do, and they tend to look at the Zvezda stuff and the 20mil-ish kits and consider people who buy them to play games a bit odd. There is a persistent belief that no level of research is too much to get a kit juuuuust right, but if you put that kit on a table and push it around a bit while rolling dice you'll be in the looneybin thinking you're Napoleon before Christmas.

Very odd line to draw, I think.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A store in my area is run by guys that are just a little too much into German military history and re-enactment. Their prices are excellent though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Man, all I got around me is a Hobbytown. And those old dudes seem way more interested in RC planes than anything else... :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nebakenezzer posted:

Despite fees, it's much worse to cut out credit/debit. You're losing a huge portion of your potential customer base by not offering credit/debit options. You'll take a small hit on every purchase, but who cares if you're business increases 60%.

Try telling that to the middle-aged, trainspotting, tea-party faithful that tend to run those type of shops though. "Don't want no big credit fat-cats taxing my money for their reptilian fat-cat loony left overlords! Also we're closed on sundays, praise jesus."

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What scale? There's a whole industry supporting architectural modelling and the scales they use. If you think model train poo poo is over priced, you ain't seen poo poo till you've explored the world of architectural modelling. A lot are just laser cut though.
So, where does one begin to explore that wonderful world of architectural modeling? :v:

(Pretty much any scale (around the smaller train scales maybe?), I'm mainly into wargaming so I was simply curious, I have way too many minis already :haw:)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierzak posted:

So, where does one begin to explore that wonderful world of architectural modeling? :v:

Big art supply store or college bookstore if they have an architecture department.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Midjack posted:

Big art supply store or college bookstore if they have an architecture department.

Lots of online suppliers too. Plenty of cross over for train and other model supply too.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you're a small business and you're paying 3% for your CC transactions, you're doing it wrong. Or you're using Paypal or Square and getting hosed hard.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Baronjutter posted:

Model train nerds are gross and weird. Most are retired or near retired baby boomers with poor social skills and an absolute obsession with the golden years of the 50's. "Steam Transition Era" is what like 50% of train guys model and they give no shits about today because we're living in dark evil times when white men are an oppressed minority and we're not even allowed to shoot and kill graffiti terrorists.

People model what they like, so people who like long unit trains model modern times. People who like steam engines model the pre-war years. People who want a bit of everything except containers do the 50-60's because you can do steam AND diesel. They can also get extremely specific, like "I'm modeling eastern washington in the early summer of 1998". Why 1998 and not today? They'll have their reasons.
That's just the ones in the magazines and stuff. I know a ton of guys who model what they've experienced, or set themselves to a specific time because they have the reference material to do so (photos, timetables, videos, etc.). I think for a lot of model railroaders, it's not a bad thing, or else they'd spend much, much more than they should on stuff that wouldn't apply to a certain era.

Just out of curiosity, which model train boards are you referring to?

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If you're a small business and you're paying 3% for your CC transactions, you're doing it wrong. Or you're using Paypal or Square and getting hosed hard.

What should a small business be using? I ask because my wife uses Intuit gopayment and that was what was suggested in BFC when I asked about it.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Farside posted:

What should a small business be using? I ask because my wife uses Intuit gopayment and that was what was suggested in BFC when I asked about it.
Depends on the business. In the interests of full disclosure, I work for a credit card processing company, but at the very least your bank *may* give you more leeway on rates than Paypal or Intuit. I know our programs have advantages over both, but I don't want to violate any rules here going over it. Let me know if you want more information on our program as well, we should be able to help you.

/end creditcard chat

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Baronjutter posted:

It's the same in war modelling.

TRUTH

Quarterly reminder that one of the largest online hobby shops in the world, a couple of years ago, handed out literal Nazi eagles as trophies (swastika removed):

Their (Squadron's) logo is the same as that applied to German Fw-190 aircraft of JG2:

Not a coincidence and this is an American shop, by the way.

The latest Nazi fetish imbroglio I saw was a poor guy wanting to build a cannon-armed Ju-87 NOT in (notorious, virulent Nazi) Hans Ulrich Rudel's markings. He was basically told to embrace it by a number of forumgoers, but sanity did prevail in the end. That said, it is apparently very difficult to find non-Rudel cannon Stuka photos ("Kanonenvogel" to be fetish appropriate, lord knows you can't describe them in English).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I did a quick dig around, and it seems that Rudel was around long enough to fly in basically every single camo scheme applied to the drat things.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Picked kit up from the post office today after having ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to build it once I've figured out what Vallejo colours I need to buy for it.

Should I prime it in black or white if I'm doing it in grey by the way?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Picked kit up from the post office today after having ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to build it once I've figured out what Vallejo colours I need to buy for it.

You could actually prime it in grey if you wanted to, Tamiya makes a great grey primer. If that's not an option though, I'd go with white.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tamiya gray primer is like my favourite colour. I've left some things that gray because it's the best gray. And the best primer.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

You could actually prime it in grey if you wanted to, Tamiya makes a great grey primer. If that's not an option though, I'd go with white.

Hm, noted. No idea if I can get a can of that primer at a decent price though in Sweden but I might look around and see what I can find otherwise I've got a can of white primer that I'll use instead.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

Hooo.... I'd like one of those, but possibly a bit sturdier for the wargame table.

I suggest white if you are considering blacklining it at all for panel depth etc.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Hooo.... I'd like one of those, but possibly a bit sturdier for the wargame table.

I suggest white if you are considering blacklining it at all for panel depth etc.

Yeah I don't think the stand is that much of a "Hey let's move this around" kind of thing.

Haven't actually given thought of blacklining it actually. Just go over it with a fine tipped pen after painting it or?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
http://screamingheretic.com/2011/05/painting-101-pre-shading-your-models/

Basically this. It looks awesome but is a LOT of work.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It isn't. You don't have to be super accurate with it, and especially with actual modern aircraft, there aren't too many lines to do.

On a 1/72 Osprey, it would take maybe half an hour, and that's already pushing it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I think I can forget doing that since I don't own an airbrush. :v:

Also the lack of standardized colour charts are occasionally really annoying.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 6, 2013

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
I'm finally getting back into scale modelling again, tried it a few years ago with a Revell 1:426 Arizona which was fun, but I didn't really know what I was doing and painting it by hand made it look horrible. My dad recently bought a 1:350 Titanic and an airbrush, so I finally have an excuse to get back into it. I bought a Revell 1:144 Uboot a few weeks ago, but I also bought an Italeri 1:72 F-16 to practice on, I'm not too broken up if it looks like crap. Just need to wait for my Touch-n-Flow to get here now.

One thing I am wondering about is paint. I worked with Testors paint previously, and don't exactly have good memories of it. I've also heard bad things about it, so I'm wondering how essential would another brand be? My local hobby shop sells Tamiya paints, so I'm curious if the extra money spent would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mortuus posted:

I'm finally getting back into scale modelling again, tried it a few years ago with a Revell 1:426 Arizona which was fun, but I didn't really know what I was doing and painting it by hand made it look horrible. My dad recently bought a 1:350 Titanic and an airbrush, so I finally have an excuse to get back into it. I bought a Revell 1:144 Uboot a few weeks ago, but I also bought an Italeri 1:72 F-16 to practice on, I'm not too broken up if it looks like crap. Just need to wait for my Touch-n-Flow to get here now.

One thing I am wondering about is paint. I worked with Testors paint previously, and don't exactly have good memories of it. I've also heard bad things about it, so I'm wondering how essential would another brand be? My local hobby shop sells Tamiya paints, so I'm curious if the extra money spent would be worth it.

Yes, Tamiya is probably the best acrylic out there. Buy on-brand thinner at the same time if you are air brushing. Vallejo's lines of paint are also all highly regarded, especially their model air ones which have amazing coverage even on colors that are traditionaly hard to paint (yellow, white). Plus they come in dropper bottles so they are a lot nicer to deal with.

edit: Testor's rattle can clear coats are really good though.