Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^^^ Yay!

Gah. Made an unpleasant discovery this morning when I went out to take down the old nasty burlap swamp cooler curtains on the chicken run...a whole BUNCH of the UV resistant, heavy-duty zip ties I used to bind the wire walls of the chicken run together when we built it have given up, the rest are brittle. There are some major gaps in the wire where the two pieces meet that I have to seal up. So what worked for us for 10 years in southern California lasted a little over a year and a half up here in the land of ice & snow.

Time to go medieval on it's rear end, got me a pair of hog ring pliers and two boxes of hog rings to make a proper chicken prison. Not what I planned on doing today, but hey. :suicide:

Chickies gotta be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Gah. Made an unpleasant discovery this morning when I went out to take down the old nasty burlap swamp cooler curtains on the chicken run...a whole BUNCH of the UV resistant, heavy-duty zip ties I used to bind the wire walls of the chicken run together when we built it have given up, the rest are brittle.

Not to mention some dumbbutt would have EATEN bits of that brittle plastic if it had crumbled and fallen into the run. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
GOOD GRIEF! I guess it's luck that a predator didn't find out about those brittle ties, there is a buffet of chicken in there! Glad you found this out before it got too cold to manipulate pliers. At least for me, my hands don't work so good in the freezing cold!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^^ What's really fun is that the hog ring pliers didn't work. After 1+ hours of trying and a big pinch on my left middle finger, we gave up and used more zip ties for now.

Cam is up, today they got a huge pile of fall leaves to play in. Meeko didn't care when I wheeled in the big 90 gallon trash can, but wigged RIGHT the gently caress out when I dumped the leaves out and had to be rescued by 12_String. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna toss in some old bread in a few to encourage participation.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Much hassles with the cam today, but as of now, it's back up.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The back yard is frozen tundra this morning, as soon as it warms enough we'll put out the cam and Halloween jack-o-lanterns. :keke:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The back yard is frozen tundra this morning, as soon as it warms enough we'll put out the cam and Halloween jack-o-lanterns. :keke:

YIPPEE - jack 0 lanterns for the chickens! Sounds FUN! I'll be standing by! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

...and now the new computer tower, which tested perfectly yesterday, is being a butt. 12_String's workin' on it. *sigh*

The jack-o-lanterns are sitting outside the coop, being stared at by chickens.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

...and now the new computer tower, which tested perfectly yesterday, is being a butt. 12_String's workin' on it. *sigh*

The jack-o-lanterns are sitting outside the coop, being stared at by chickens.

LOL. Take a photo of the hungry chickens please! :)

Waiting for the cam!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now running through Flash Media Encoder again, using the kid's computer tower instead of the laptop so it should be UCH smoother and less flaky.

Pumpkins incoming, although they were not jazzed about the chunks of cut pumpkin I put out on Halloween so unsure of the reaction.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

REMINDER: Daylight Savings Time ends tonight! Since it got dark at 6:30PM PST tonight, that means NEXT week it'll be dark at 5:30PM PST. When it gets dark we have to take the cam in for the day, and if the weather is crappy over the next few months it may get dark even before 5:30. Winter hours!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop photobomb! And his tail in the center of the frame.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CM Cluck finally makes an appearance to eat on the tops of the pumpkins.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

After the sun set, all the chickens suddenly went into the coop, leaving Doodad all alone and eating on a pumpkin. Then Meeko RAN out of the coop and over to Doodad, telling Doodad it was time to go to bed! They then both went into the coop. :)

Below: Meeko telling Doodad to get inside the coop where it's safe!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

CM Cluck finally makes an appearance to eat on the tops of the pumpkins.

Pompadour between the pumpkins looking like her own landmass. :keke:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thanks for the pictures! About 4:30 pm the winds here got really bad and when that happens, the DSL goes down. So sorry I missed the remainder of the evening of Chickam! Hope to 'see' you next Saturday!

edit: Blew in snow we are getting now, Sunday morning. YUCK!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 3, 2013

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Yay! Thanks for the pumpkin party pics! (Love that Bloop photobomb!)
Did any of them try to jump into (or fall into) the pumpkins?
I had missed the cam by about an hour! Hopefully I'll be able to catch them this weekend!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Someone posted this:

And we thought that our chickens might be, uh...'persuaded' to do this, too. Weedcat needed a bit more persuasion than Fred did, but in the end it was done, roos were de-dignified and Inveigle recorded it.

http://youtu.be/eMVFPb6n19E

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up and running, I gave them a bunch of fall leaves to play in so there is much rustling. :keke:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Velvet- Any chance you can do an updated chicken roster?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Velvet- Any chance you can do an updated chicken roster?

Yeah, I'm going to take pics of the roos for rehoming anyway, so I'll get updated pics of this year's kids. I'm almost done revamping my chicken site so it should be up in a couple of weeks with new pics of the chickens. Fine tuning it now.

We may put the cam out front tomorrow, we've got some lovely wild birds that come to eat every day, especially the California quail. So cute. :keke:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video! Chickam Wattle Wars II: The Wattling

First, a young roo named "Honey" gets wattled. There is a slight break in the action, so that we can all admire Bloop's lovely red comb. Then Meeko is then caught and wattled. Cammed on November 9, 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8SHicfBmso

below: Honey gets wattled.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video! Chickens Forage in Autumn Leaves -- Plus a Crow-off between Weedcat and Bloop!

The chickens spend a lovely fall afternoon, foraging through some autumn leaves that VS added to the chicken run. The soft rustling is so peaceful. :) That is, until Weedcat and Bloop start a crow-off! Bloop is the tenor rooster. Weedcat is the baritone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe145MZGvSU

below: Linc enjoys the afternoon sunshine.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 10, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video! Chicken Close-ups!

A few of the chickens stop to check out the webcam. VS: can you help I.D. these chooks please? (Thanks VS! :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7vED1GYiB8

below: Zipper, checking out the shiny webcam.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 11, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Chickam Saturday Video! Chicken Close-ups!

A few of the chickens stop to check out the webcam. VS: can you help I.D. these chooks please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7vED1GYiB8

below: Checking out the shiny webcam.

Love Honey's 'Oh, NO!' roar in the first vid. :keke:

In this video, it starts out with Pompadour the gray Giant Cochin hen, Zipper the Red Star is behind her.
.58 Pomps wanders away, Rose the Americaunas hen approaches and pecks Zip
1:13 Zip close up studying how cameras are constructed
1:28 Linc the Barred Rock hen wanders around
1:35 On the left are Fred (roo), Baba and Wotsit, all light Brahma/Silver Laced Wyandotte mixes.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Meeko has pretty neck feathers.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hooray, there be chickens!
:)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:smith:

I spent all day sick and forgot about chickens completely in my misery.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up, the last few nights it has been down in the low teens temperature-wise, and we got some snow a couple of days ago...so it was slow to warm up this morning.

I have some goodies to toss out in a bit, and Meeko and Fred have both been crowing this morning--very deep voices but really confused as to proper cock-a-doodle-do technique.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Also, we got something the other day at the hardware store for the chickens--a large, shallow concrete mixing tub and a bunch of play sand. It's going to be a wintertime dustbath for them. We'll put it out in a bit, and I'm sure they'll be terrified of it for a while.

EDIT: It's in, and is veeeerrrryyy interesting.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 23, 2013

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
So do the lil' raptors get Thanksgiving leftovers today? :newlol:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

So do the lil' raptors get Thanksgiving leftovers today? :newlol:

Yes. I have a turkey carcass I'll be putting out once the cam is up in a few minutes, it's finally warmed up enough. The dust bathing tub is still just an interesting thing, but I'm sure once it's the driest dirt around they'll use it for it's intended purpose. I'm going to mix in some regular dirt with the sand, maybe that'll be more appealing.

As for next week, there may not be a cam, we're supposed to have colder weather moving in and the highs during the day will only be around 32 degrees.

EDIT: UStream is being a butthead, we're trying to get things going.

EDIT2: UStream appears borked across the board, we can't see ANY other live feed for any channel, and other people are commenting on it. So this time it isn't us, it's them. We'll watch it and leave our cam running, if they get it fixed and it comes back we're ready.

VVV Ok, what the Hell. We have no picture or sound, just the UStream logo and the spinny 'loading' circle thing.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 30, 2013

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Yay, Cam seems to be up, but oh gods, it's on a Dutch Angle! :gonk:

edit: Angle's fixed.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

EDIT2: UStream appears borked across the board, we can't see ANY other live feed for any channel, and other people are commenting on it. So this time it isn't us, it's them. We'll watch it and leave our cam running, if they get it fixed and it comes back we're ready.

That's weird, because things look just fine on my feed here.

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 30, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Rebooted everything damned thing we could think of, now I get picture & sound on my comp, 12_String gets nothing at all on his.

Anyway, turkey carcass incoming shortly!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Anyway, turkey carcass incoming shortly!
You're going to let them loose on a turkey carcass?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

You're going to let them loose on a turkey carcass?

Yes, it was from a 16 pound turkey and they had skeletonized it in less than an hour.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yes, it was from a 16 pound turkey and they had skeletonized it in less than an hour.

That was so amazing, dragging around the skeletal remains of the turkey. Who knew! It's been so much fun and such a learning experience watching the chickens! Thank you again VS and 12String for doing this!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well we make sure to snatch the bones away as soon as they have picked the meat off of it, don't want them ingesting any bones and getting a crop impaction. But fun food is always a good thing for chickens, keeps them active, thinking and engaged. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up and running!

It's been snowing like a sonofabitch and very cold since last night, so no chickens today. Instead we have the computer/cam in the living room, the cam pointed out one of the windows at a small table where we regularly feed the wild birds. There will be picture but no sound today, otherwise it would be 'wild birds and Nadine yelling/endless, mind-melting Pidge cooing cam'.

It's still snowing and is supposed to the rest of the day, so at least it'll be pretty and the quail are dead-on cute. :keke:

We normally get Valley Quail, starlings, black and white magpies, bluejays and various assorted finches and sparrows. I've put out a variety of food for them: dog food (magpies, starlings, jays), chicken feed (quail) and bird seed (sparrows, finches, quail). There is also some peanut butter mixed with bird seed, a yummy cold-weather treat that gives them extra energy, most birds go insane for it. I've scattered some peanut butter/seed mixture around and there is a dangling pine cone stuffed with it hanging from the table.

We had some birds come by this morning before we put food out, the quail are the ones who dig up the ground so thoroughly beneath the table. Others have left tracks on the porch, including a little one-legged quail who is a regular at the feeder. You can see his track, it's one footprint (he hops) and a straight line drag mark from his leg stump, there is a normal quail track near it for comparison. He gets around just fine, tho.

Near his track a sparrow hopped by.

And then took off, leaving marks.

The birds normally come and go all day so we should have a pretty good turnout!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread