Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

How is Master Grip stuff? Costco has this set for $20:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MASTERGRIP-Standard-Hobby-Tool-Set-w-Chest-fits-xacto-blades-/221311649760?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item338733c7e0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

For $20 you can't go far wrong, and even if the blades turn out to be crap, decent x-acto ones can be readily had.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dear Mr. EE,
Enclosed is a cross-promotional marketing scheme that is kinda redundant for you, as you are already into model tanks and world of tanks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
These are the 1/72 kits and the re-released 1/76 Matchbox kits by the looks of things. I can see myself picking a few up if they are similarly priced to the non-WoT ones.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dear Mr. EE,
Enclosed is a cross-promotional marketing scheme that is kinda redundant for you, as you are already into model tanks and world of tanks.

Oh man, such a cheap money grab, the tanks in the kits aren't even all available in the game, and most of those that are aren't played in those configurations.

Also it looks like it's a new player code only :(

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, they did this in the past with Tamiya or Dragon and didn't actually add anything to the price of the kit. That may have just been a code insert rather than an actual disc though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm finally putting together my first scale model kits in years, they're Revell 'level 5' kits...Do they always have this much flash and gaps and things, even for their 'high skill level' kits?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

krushgroove posted:

I'm finally putting together my first scale model kits in years, they're Revell 'level 5' kits...Do they always have this much flash and gaps and things, even for their 'high skill level' kits?
What kits are they specifically? The Revell ones vary in quality and sometimes the higher skill level just means how much poo poo you have to do for it to look acceptable.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The first one I'm working on is a 1/48 A-10 Warthog, I also have a 1/35 Leopard tank and a 1/16 1951/52 VW Beetle that I haven't started on yet. The A-10 started off fine on the sprue but putting it together there's several gaps, like where the main wings meet the fuselage (the most annoying bit), the nose and gun area, where the cockpit meets the fuselage, etc. It's going to look good on a shelf but disappointing up close.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

The first one I'm working on is a 1/48 A-10 Warthog, I also have a 1/35 Leopard tank and a 1/16 1951/52 VW Beetle that I haven't started on yet. The A-10 started off fine on the sprue but putting it together there's several gaps, like where the main wings meet the fuselage (the most annoying bit), the nose and gun area, where the cockpit meets the fuselage, etc. It's going to look good on a shelf but disappointing up close.

From what I read when I did some research on A-10 kits the Revell 1/48 is a really old kit from Monogram that's kinda lacking in the building department.
But yeah, things like that sucks and I'm glad I've been able to avoid it more or less so far or just try to paint over the gaps as good as possible.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
One area I'm really lacking as I come back into this is the knowledge of what kits are old, what manufacturers are new (when did Dragon and Great Wall pop up, for example), that sort of thing. At least with my recent foray back into miniature wargaming I've got pretty much all the supplies I need, although I probably need to get some fine polishing compound and model wax for my car projects. Unless I can use super-fine (real) car polish and good-quality car wax? Because I have lots of that!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Old manufacturers upgrade their tooling, and new manufacturers buy tooling from old manufacturers, so knowing the age of a company doesn't really matter, unless you're wondering if that dusty half-crushed box in the back of the store is old, or just dusty and crushed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Old manufacturers upgrade their tooling, and new manufacturers buy tooling from old manufacturers, so knowing the age of a company doesn't really matter, unless you're wondering if that dusty half-crushed box in the back of the store is old, or just dusty and crushed.

It's true. You basically gotta go Kit by kit. That He 219 I posted awhile ago was from a defunct maker from the 70s, but Revell Germany was still selling it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah, OK. I guess that makes sense, if a company goes bust some liquidator will have to sell off their assets or whatever. I imagine there are websites and forums with all that info to look through - apart from various walkaround photo albums of military and car subjects, etc. I guess as I'm getting back into it slowly I'll just pick up whatever kits I happen to fancy and get back in the groove, so to speak, without worrying how old a model is or whatever. I'm interested in cars, tanks, planes, sci-fi, everything so I imagine the collection will look quite varied after a while!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Henk of Holland is pretty good for 20mil stuff, but doesn't cover any other scale. Still, REALLY complete archive of box covers etc.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Sometimes, the box art designers take a little too much artistic license.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that a lot of Airfix art is from the 50's. The reason that their Sd.Kfz 234 kit has the wrong mudguards and no stowage bins is that the one in Bovington had them shot off, and they just guessed based on the OTHER eight-wheeled German armoured car that the museum had back then.

I have that Panther kit sitting in my box of half-finished kits. Just couldn't seem to get it to go together even in a dry-fit. Someday....

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Bear in mind that a lot of Airfix art is from the 50's. The reason that their Sd.Kfz 234 kit has the wrong mudguards and no stowage bins is that the one in Bovington had them shot off, and they just guessed based on the OTHER eight-wheeled German armoured car that the museum had back then.

I have that Panther kit sitting in my box of half-finished kits. Just couldn't seem to get it to go together even in a dry-fit. Someday....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orlTcShG6UQ

Aplogies for the horrible quality. The entire episode is on youtube if you want to seek it out, but it's a little close to :filez: for me to want to link it.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 15, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sometimes, the box art designers take a little too much artistic license.

Arquinsiel posted:

See...I wouldn't have even known. I just see 'WW2 tank' and that's it. I used to be such an Army brat! but now I don't know anything. Which is probably for the best, because extreme geekiness would probably prevent me from just grabbing a model of a cool-looking tank or car and just building it up.

So...if you wanted to build up a kit to a reasonable (not necessarily award-winning) level of realism, would you just ask on forums to see which one has the best level of detail, get whatever brass-etch bits you want to add, a turned metal barrel if it's a tank, find a book or website with walkaround photos, get color-matched paint and away you go? At the high end, are we talking about Dragon, Hasegawa and maybe newer Tamiya kits?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

krushgroove posted:

So...if you wanted to build up a kit to a reasonable (not necessarily award-winning) level of realism, would you just ask on forums to see which one has the best level of detail, get whatever brass-etch bits you want to add, a turned metal barrel if it's a tank, find a book or website with walkaround photos, get color-matched paint and away you go? At the high end, are we talking about Dragon, Hasegawa and maybe newer Tamiya kits?

Well brass-etch bits and any possible expansion kits available for that model.

Don't know how true this is but a friend mentioned to me a while ago that the newer Airfix kits have gotten a lot better so you could probably use those as an alternative in some cases.
I don't find much issue with Revell either, although so far I've only built their 1/72 F-14D and their Commanche but had no real problem with either of them when building.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It's also a kit by kit basis at the higher end.

For example, if you want an accurate 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX, the Hasegawa 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX looks right, but the dimensions aren't even close. The Occidental looks off, and there's also an Airfix, and now an Eduard. They all have big flaws
Meanwhile, the (much cheaper) ICM version walks all over it in accuracy and detail (it includes pretty much every part to make pretty much every version of the early spitfires) but has bad QC and fit and is generally way overengineered.

Of course some subjects only have one or two kits, and so you're limited to an Eastern European manufacturer.

Other subjects have roughly a thousand kits (ME109, P51, F4 Phantom), but you'll still want to do your research before buying.

And always be on the lookout for re-issues. Some things just get endlessly reissued; If it's a Revell or Monogram (or Revell Monogram or Revell Germany) kit and it's in an uncommon scale, then it's definitely a re-issue of an old Revell / Monogram box-scale kit from the 1970s.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^ thanks - I guess that's part of the pre-build research one has to do to get proper results! Good info, thanks. There's a lot to learn, really - I never got into that side of models when I was interested in them but I guess you quickly become an expert in whatever genre of models you specialize in.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well brass-etch bits and any possible expansion kits available for that model.

Yes I've seen these - I'm a big MotoGP racing fan and the various motorcycle kits Tamiya do have upgrade kits for the shocks, brakes, rider figures, etc., which is funny to me because as an RC car geek things like 'upgrade kits' mean actual working shocks with oil, springs, etc., and these are 'just' static model shocks...

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 15, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orlTcShG6UQ

Aplogies for the horrible quality. The entire episode is on youtube if you want to seek it out, but it's a little close to :filez: for me to want to link it.
It's a fun series in general. I really enjoyed that episode in particular.

krushgroove posted:

See...I wouldn't have even known. I just see 'WW2 tank' and that's it. I used to be such an Army brat! but now I don't know anything. Which is probably for the best, because extreme geekiness would probably prevent me from just grabbing a model of a cool-looking tank or car and just building it up.

A lot of the time people just replace parts of a kit with scratch-built parts too, so it's really just the amount of time and effort you feel like putting in.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

I understand the bits and pieces from various Panther modifications in one tank, but putting a Panther in Africa is going into alternate history .

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

A lot of the time people just replace parts of a kit with scratch-built parts too, so it's really just the amount of time and effort you feel like putting in.

Triple quote this. Don't let the pursuit of realism suck the fun out of the hobby. It's good to go for it, and you can go far and have a good time, but recognize when you're hitting your limit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I've seen some pretty crazy scratch builders produce parts that are indistinguishable from the ones in the kit. If you put a ruler to it, you find that theirs is a millimeter bigger or something like that. I mean, a hobby is a hobby, but spending years on a single model is a bit much for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I understand the bits and pieces from various Panther modifications in one tank, but putting a Panther in Africa is going into alternate history .
Bear in mind that their IS-3 is made from a dodgy propaganda film released by the Soviet Union, and they still managed to get their Grant turret wrong despite having the exact tank they were copying in the IWM in London. Airfix "1:76" kits are pretty much the shakey beginings that this entire hobby is built on.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So one of our members took this video from our meeting at our model railroad club today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSe_0oZlz8E
On the far right, in the background, are 5 of the approximately 25 control arms from an actual interlocking system from a railroad signalling tower in western Ohio. They're actually hooked into the layout and can control sections of track.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice, I really want a working crossing on my layout. Looking into learning arduino stuff to set it up and control it.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I'm a signalling engineer by profession so I think that is awesome.

Both the video and Baron's idea; speaking of that, you've now got me thinking on how to implement it hmm.

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 19, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Here's some shots from our club from the other day as well:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24079200@N03/sets/72157637816789224/
I think one of the unimagined perks of joining a club has been learning from everyone there, and pushing myself with my modelling as well.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

What's wrong with a Helix? I'm guessing the lack of many real-world analogs (CP Spiral Tunnel not withstanding)

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nothing's wrong with it, it's just we're expanding the main line by another 150' to add a steel mill scene and some more staging yards, and to reduce the grade from the climb from one level to the other. The mainline will go out to where the lamp is in the picture, and turn back around.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I'm going to be building a huge helix to do a double-decker layout in a small room. At about 17" radius I can get my 2" clearance per turn at only a 2%ish grade.
Going to get it all cut on a CNC machine.

I still can't get over how BIG HO scale is, you really need a little warehouse or something to have a decent layout.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 19, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Random addition to the train talk: do you know who else was into model trains?

That's right :hitler:

We need to find some pics of Himmiler painting warhammer miniatures.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Not pictured, scale allied air-raids :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Nebakenezzer posted:

Neil Young!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Depending on what you want to do, you can pack a lot of detail into a shelf layout in HO scale. I probably would've went with N scale as a kid, but there's just so much stuff available in HO scale that you can build drat-near anything.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

krushgroove posted:

Neil Young!

Er, true, dude actually owns Lionel trains

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Gary Coleman and Rod Stewart

:stare: ffffffffff

Also, just go Z scale, space problem solved :smugdog:

Okay I know that's impossible, N is crushingly expensive, I've never even seen Z scale for sale. I imagine a small setup would cost as much as a good used car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Er, true, dude actually owns Lionel trains

Huh, that explains the Neil Young shrine I saw when I went here last year.

You can actually buy advertising space on the tiny billboards.