Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's probably because I don't really watch anime, and so haven't seen anything made since around the time of Cowboy Bebop, but I thought the animation in rebuild was goddamn gorgeous. I also think 3 had the best pacing and most thematically consistent plot of any of the rebuilds so far. Rebuild 2 just had so much content that had to be crammed from the tv series crammed into it, and introduced a new character on top of all that; it felt a little schizophrenic. Plus its 'fan service' scenes were perverted and creepy.

There are some great sequences from 3 that I'll probably screen-cap or make into .gifs, just so I can look at them without having to scrub around in a media player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

It's probably because I don't really watch anime, and so haven't seen anything made since around the time of Cowboy Bebop, but I thought the animation in rebuild was goddamn gorgeous. I also think 3 had the best pacing and most thematically consistent plot of any of the rebuilds so far. Rebuild 2 just had so much content that had to be crammed from the tv series crammed into it, and introduced a new character on top of all that; it felt a little schizophrenic. Plus its 'fan service' scenes were perverted and creepy.

There are some great sequences from 3 that I'll probably screen-cap or make into .gifs, just so I can look at them without having to scrub around in a media player.

I agree with you on the awesome pacing of three. The animation was absolutely spectacular. I also thought Shinji's descent into depression and desperation was so cinematically effective (words?). Just everything about the sequence leading up to Kaworu removing the bomb for Shinji's neck was so spot on.

Also the retreating shot of Kaworu after he had been killed and they were pulling Shinji away was so moving. I have so much respect for filmmakers when they pay attention to little details like that :negative:.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Requesting the pretty funny (if memory serves me) black and white comic (in sketchy MS paint?) of Shinji kicking rear end and being assertive. Not the color "if Shinji had a spine" comic where he's sort of an douchebag. I cannot find this loving comic for the life of me and it is driving me crazyyy

Side note, I'm curious what viewing order you guys prescribe for your friends new to the series. I just got someone totally addicted to it, but I started with Rebuild 1 because he's an artist and my hook was the (incredible) animation and aesthetic design. Then he watched 7-26, then EoE, then hit evageeks just to sort out the basics, then watched Rebuild 1 again while I tried to explain the important differences, and now he's rarin' to watch Rebuild 2. I think it was a decent way to introduce someone to the series. I specifically forced him to watch the series before getting to Rebuild 2 for the obvious reasons, but also because I wanted rebuild third impact to hit him like a ton of bricks

I'm also gonna say it's kind of a trip to imagine him watching this for the first time as an adult (we're in our late twenties) compared to my first watching Eva as a sulky loving kid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Unless someone's a huge baby about hand-drawn animation I would just run straight through in chronological order. The way Evangelion escalates from a fairly straightforward monster of the week show into, well, Evangelion is all part of the experience.

The worst advice I've ever heard re: series order is the guy who sold me on the series, who insisted I should skip episodes 25 and 26 and go straight to EoE. He's a great guy but I sometimes think we have completely incompatible reasons for / approaches to consuming media.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just added a little bit to the OP saying "series -> EOE -> Rebuild and other stuff if you're interested". Personally, I quite like what little animation there is.

E: I dunno, depending on what people say I might change it to "Maybe watch some of Rebuild first". Suggestions?

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 7, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think watching Rebuild first (1 and 2) helped me appreciate the series more. I think showing your art buddy Rebuild first was a good idea because he might have been put off by the dated art and animation otherwise.

Personally I think you can put Rebuild 1/2 either before or after series+EoE, but definitely not in between. Rebuild 3 should always come at the end though.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
Rebuild 1 before the series maybe. Watching rebuild 2 before the series / EoE is just wrong.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

PootieTang posted:

Rebuild 1 before the series maybe. Watching rebuild 2 before the series / EoE is just wrong.

I'd agree with this. I'd kind of been on the fence because of how grimdark the series had been hyped up (and because the box sets of the series were/are pricey), but watching 1.11 was what ultimately convinced me to buy into the series. Even if it does have some minor spoilers (on the identity of Lilith) for the later parts of the series, it's still a good way of getting a feel for the franchise.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I would say watch the series first only because all the poo poo in Rebuild gets 10 times more delicious if you watched the tv show.

Asuka gets stabbed through the eye in the series. Rebuild she has a blind patch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched Rebuild 1/2 well before I saw the series. I did not really like them and I think they would be much more interesting to watch after having seen the show's original run and EoE.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Always go TV series -> EoE -> Rebuilds.

If dudes can't handle the 90s animation then screw them, 90s anime owns

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I realized today that within a year we'll hear an announcement for the 4th movie, then within another year (or two) it'll be released in Japan, then within another year it'll be released on Blu-Ray and subbed, and within another year (or two) it'll make its way stateside.

Sigh...:smithicide:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

PootieTang posted:

Agreed.

yellowjournalism posted:

Requesting the pretty funny (if memory serves me) black and white comic (in sketchy MS paint?) of Shinji kicking rear end and being assertive. Not the color "if Shinji had a spine" comic where he's sort of an douchebag. I cannot find this loving comic for the life of me and it is driving me crazyyy

Does this at least ring a bell for anyone or am I imagining poo poo?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm curious what viewing order you guys prescribe for your friends new to the series... Rebuild 1 ... Then he watched 7-26.

Is there anything in Rebuild 1 that diverges from the plot of episodes 1-7 in a meaningful way, or would it generally be ok to replace episodes 1-7 in a viewing order? I guess there's that one thing about humans being Lilim mentioned on this page. Oh and Unit 01 doesn't move to save Shinji from the falling debris at the very beginning.. I think. Anything else?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Misato already knows that there is a giant under Terminal Dogma in Rebuild's continuity, and that it's Lilith instead of mistaking it for Adam like she did when she first saw it in the series. Other than that... Nothing that really comes right to mind at the moment, though.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Is there anything in Rebuild 1 that diverges from the plot of episodes 1-7 in a meaningful way, or would it generally be ok to replace episodes 1-7 in a viewing order? I guess there's that one thing about humans being Lilim mentioned on this page. Oh and Unit 01 doesn't move to save Shinji from the falling debris at the very beginning.. I think. Anything else?

Not particularly, no. Misato knowing what's up and still being wrong, as well as some slice of life moments where Shinji truly feeling like Misato's house is home would be all the viewer would miss. Rei slapping Shinii and chatting happily with Gendo are still in 1.11, right?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Personally my only real complaint with rebuild 1 compared to the series is that you see berserk unit 01 tear into sachiel directly after shinji gets his rear end kicked as opposed to being a flashback, as seeing the aftermath and the rest of the casts reaction to shinji before seeing the actual fight is an excellent buildup to the "oh god what the gently caress"-ness of a berserk Eva.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

mr. stefan posted:

Personally my only real complaint with rebuild 1 compared to the series is that you see berserk unit 01 tear into sachiel directly after shinji gets his rear end kicked as opposed to being a flashback, as seeing the aftermath and the rest of the casts reaction to shinji before seeing the actual fight is an excellent buildup to the "oh god what the gently caress"-ness of a berserk Eva.

If you're referring to the bit I think you are, then this would include possibly the greatest transition in the series.

When Shinji get's hit by the angel and BAM he immediately wakes up in a hospital bed. Probably the best on-screen representation of getting knocked the gently caress out I've seen.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PootieTang posted:

If you're referring to the bit I think you are, then this would include possibly the greatest transition in the series.

When Shinji get's hit by the angel and BAM he immediately wakes up in a hospital bed. Probably the best on-screen representation of getting knocked the gently caress out I've seen.

Yeah, I always loved how they did that.

I understand why they changed it for 1.11, since that's the sort of pacing that works well for tv episodes but not so much with a single movie.

But it's still a shame that to see it be changed to be more straightforward.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Can I take a moment to just say how great skullomania is? Hes a big fuckin skeleton-esque monster that can Big O motherfuckers. He and the the Calico are the best angels and they are both torn apart by apeshit unit 01. Coincidence?????? I think not.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Those seem to me like enough to make the tv episodes the preferred way to start out the series, then. Rebuild is mostly the same, but different enough to make the transition to the 7th tv episode from the film a bit too jarring. Good to know. Rebuild 1.. What a weird movie. It doesn't stand on its own as a remake of the original episodes, but it's too similar to the original episodes to be a true sequel. Is there a term, like prequel or sequel, for a kind of pseudo-remake like Rebuild?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Is there a term, like prequel or sequel, for a kind of pseudo-remake like Rebuild?
I believe the proper terminology is "Moneymaker".

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Those seem to me like enough to make the tv episodes the preferred way to start out the series, then. Rebuild is mostly the same, but different enough to make the transition to the 7th tv episode from the film a bit too jarring. Good to know. Rebuild 1.. What a weird movie. It doesn't stand on its own as a remake of the original episodes, but it's too similar to the original episodes to be a true sequel. Is there a term, like prequel or sequel, for a kind of pseudo-remake like Rebuild?

I think it's a bit of a mistake to try to think of Rebuild 1.11 as a stand alone movie. Each movie has fit together in such a way that it feels more very long episodes of an OVA. What I would call Rebuild 1.11 is bait. Rebuild 2.22 is jaws of the trap and Rebuild 3.33 is the jaws of some nightmarish double trap. I'm morbidly curious about 4.44.

Friar John posted:

I believe the proper terminology is "Moneymaker".

Though the first movie made significantly less at the box office. I've never been entirely clear about why the second one managed to pull in more than double the gross of the first.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Probably because the reviews weren't all "basically episodes 1-6 with better animation".

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

How could you all have forgotten Jet Alone? :qq:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
eva is a story that repeats
:goonsay:

seriously though this subject has been discussed for like 75% of this thread

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

You mean the moon scene at the end that completely changes the game?

Srice posted:

Yeah, I always loved how they did that.

I understand why they changed it for 1.11, since that's the sort of pacing that works well for tv episodes but not so much with a single movie.

But it's still a shame that to see it be changed to be more straightforward.

100% agreed. A lot of little changes like that felt kinda lame until I realized that the original way would not have served the movie-format at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Farewell Jet Alone, and Volcano Angel defeated by some trivia mentioned earlier that episode, or Bacteria/Computer Virus Angel, or Synchronised Dance Angel.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Bacteria/Computer Virus Angel

Isn't this the one inside the mk. 6 in 3.0?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I counted mk. 09 hacking in to wunder as a dope nod to virus angel.

vvv No

sorry for the million ninja edits: but he was referring to Mk 06 in central dogma containing an angel that is freed when Mk 09 chops its head off which I actually think is too much of a stretch, there isn't really a virus aspect, it's more just an angel chilling inside an eva

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 9, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Nah, it is the one that merges with the Magi. The one that gets inside Mk. 6 was, floating in the clouds of it's flight path I think?

yellowjournalism posted:

I counted mk. 09 hacking in to wunder as a dope nod to virus angel.

Never thought of that before. Good catch.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I might be getting the names mixed up. I mean the one that came down from the moon and was impaled by spears along with lilith.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
No you got it right that's Mk.06. We basically have no idea what the gently caress it's been doing for the past 14 years.

edit:

Terminal Entropy posted:

Nah, it is the one that merges with the Magi. The one that gets inside Mk. 6 was, floating in the clouds of it's flight path I think?

You're thinking of Unit 03 AGGGHHHHHH NUMBERRRRS

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 9, 2013

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

yellowjournalism posted:

No you got it right that's Mk.06. We basically have no idea what the gently caress it's been doing for the past 14 years.

edit:

You're thinking of Unit 03 AGGGHHHHHH NUMBERRRRS

Well, I was only off by 3, so half right. :v:

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

cafel posted:

Though the first movie made significantly less at the box office. I've never been entirely clear about why the second one managed to pull in more than double the gross of the first.

Fanservice.

But seriously, new, official Eva material in movie format.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CboVxsatgyo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That guy shouldn't be playing a Bach 42T if he can't get the right tone on it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MadRhetoric posted:

Fanservice.

But seriously, new, official Eva material in movie format.

The second movie was pretty drat good, which brings me to...

I just watched 3.0 and holy poo poo! what a turd. We can babble all we want about imagery and poo poo but I think that saying that eva is a character driven show is a non-controversial statement. Well, gently caress that! Shinji goes back to be, well, classic-Shinji and everybody else but Kaworu may as well be a cardboard cutout.

I must confess that I was impressed by Gendou and Fuyutsuki, running a 2-man operation on that scale at their age is something that very few could handle.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Watch it again and pay attention to exactly how poo poo has changed. Compare it to this point in the series (eps 22-25 and the first bit of EoE). Pay very close attention to what Shinji says and does, in relation to the other characters, Asuka in particular.

I don't mean to sound pretentious, but this movie very much relies on knowledge of how the series works and exactly how off the reservation, yet oddly similar it has gotten.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MadRhetoric posted:

Watch it again and pay attention to exactly how poo poo has changed. Compare it to this point in the series (eps 22-25 and the first bit of EoE). Pay very close attention to what Shinji says and does, in relation to the other characters, Asuka in particular.

I don't mean to sound pretentious, but this movie very much relies on knowledge of how the series works and exactly how off the reservation, yet oddly similar it has gotten.

Sorry, I am the kind of dude who believes that a movie has to stand on its own. Now, it may be indeed everything is carefully linked to the tv series and is a nice reward for mega-fans and that's cool. It's just not for me.

Even if what you are saying is true, there are still lots of flaws in the flick. Mainly the ham-handed way they had Misato&Co behave towards Shinji just to keep the viewer off-balance. That was just lovely characterization no matter what.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

trucutru posted:

Mainly the ham-handed way they had Misato&Co behave towards Shinji just to keep the viewer off-balance. That was just lovely characterization no matter what.

Going all :lost: style on him and not talking to him about what happened at the end of 2.0 is pretty dumb but he did almost destroy the entire human race because of a crush he has on a girl and seems hell bent on giving that a 2nd try. I wouldn't have a great opinion of him either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I didn't have a problem with their attitude towards Shinji since being reminded of how badly he hosed up every single day for about 14 years straight can really have quite the effect on you. Understandable that they'd be pissed off. And considering Shinji's actions later in the film, it turns out they were right to be.

Was it the rational way to treat him? Of course not, but Eva characters have never been known for their rational decisions :v: