Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

freebooter posted:

This will sound like a weird ask, but I'm moving to England next year and am trying to re-stoke my flagging Anglophilia. What are some good books that are really, solidly, y'know... English? Across any genre.

Examples of what I mean which I've already read would include Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, Wolf Hall, The Day of the Triffids, Black Swan Green. Examples I've thought of but haven't read yet include stuff by Dickens, the Sherlock Holmes stories, the Raffles stories and stuff by PG Wodehouse.

All of those are great choices. The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch is very, very British also if you're into urban fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I know it's a little late in the day, but as part of Amazon's 12 Days of Deals, Alissa Nutting's novel Tampa is only $2.99 for Kindle. The plot isn't for everyone, and I haven't read it yet, so I can't vouch, but from what I've looked into, it's polarizing: some love it, and others hate it. Which is to be expected for a novel about a pedophile. Nonetheless, reviews are mostly positive.

That's the only deal I noticed today, as the special was "Books For Her", and the selection didn't appeal to me.

Tampa on Goodreads

EDIT: Tampa is still on sale.

Also, as part of the 12 Days of Deals, for today only, Philip K. Dick's Valis is $1.99.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So, I've been forced into a Secret Santa type deal. The person I have wants a non-fiction book. I really don't read non-fiction that often. I don't even really know this guy. Any suggestions?

mmtt
May 8, 2009
I'm looking for a book on court intrigue and backroom scheming, someone's rise to power or somesuch, possibly on some period of history but I'm open to fantasy and science fiction. Any recommendations ?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
For historical intrigue, I recommend I Claudius. I have no idea how accurate and realistic it is, but it's certainly a very entertaining read.

Rough Lobster posted:

So, I've been forced into a Secret Santa type deal. The person I have wants a non-fiction book. I really don't read non-fiction that often. I don't even really know this guy. Any suggestions?

Surely you must be joking, Mr Feynman. (Extremely interesting autobiography which is often funny, bonus points if he has some interest in science)

Or

A short history of nearly everything

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rough Lobster posted:

With zero info at all to go on it's tough. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a good suggestion, but if he's the brainy type he might find it a bit facile. Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid is an astonishing work which won the Pulitzer but is definitely for a certain type of mindset. The Gulag Archipelago is one of the most important books written in the 20th Century but again, won't appeal to everyone.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

regulargonzalez posted:

With zero info at all to go on it's tough. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a good suggestion, but if he's the brainy type he might find it a bit facile. Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid is an astonishing work which won the Pulitzer but is definitely for a certain type of mindset. The Gulag Archipelago is one of the most important books written in the 20th Century but again, won't appeal to everyone.

I would probably not recommend the Gulag Archipelago for a random gift.

You should focus on some pop-sci/history related thing if you don't have anything else to go on. A Short History of Nearly Everything is a good call. Maybe something by Malcolm Gladwell.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I wouldn't mind giving some more Ben Elton a try. I have read High Society, Dead Famous and Chart Throb a few years back and enjoyed them, and preferred them in that order. I then just never really ended up going on to reading more of his stuff for some reason. But now there seems so many to choose from; any reccomendations? I love his style of mixing humour with suspense and a twist while taking a poke at satire or social commentary, but when I read reviews of heaps of his other books they all seem to say about the same thing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Xandu posted:

Maybe something by Malcolm Gladwell.

That seems like a nice safe bet for someone you don't know at all that says he likes "books". Consider "Blink" or "Tipping Point".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Xandu posted:

I would probably not recommend the Gulag Archipelago for a random gift.

Hey, it's secret right? It'd be the perfect crime.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hey, it's secret right? It'd be the perfect crime.

On that note, you could also try On the Beach or maybe The Road.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

mmtt posted:

I'm looking for a book on court intrigue and backroom scheming, someone's rise to power or somesuch, possibly on some period of history but I'm open to fantasy and science fiction. Any recommendations ?

Seconding I, Claudius, which has a lot of scheming and backstabbing and whatnot. Procopius' The Secret History is filled with that, too: plotting courtiers, backstabbing court eunuchs and absolutely slams Theodora as a witch, prostitute and worse. It's by no means an impartial account, but it's an interesting read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

freebooter posted:

This will sound like a weird ask, but I'm moving to England next year and am trying to re-stoke my flagging Anglophilia. What are some good books that are really, solidly, y'know... English? Across any genre.

Examples of what I mean which I've already read would include Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, Wolf Hall, The Day of the Triffids, Black Swan Green. Examples I've thought of but haven't read yet include stuff by Dickens, the Sherlock Holmes stories, the Raffles stories and stuff by PG Wodehouse.

Kraken by China Miéville and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman are both wacky fantasy romps through London with tons of Britishness. Kraken is slightly the darker/creepier of the two.

Non-genre-wise, anything by Nick Hornby. I recommend High Fidelity if you want to read a funny book about music nerds in 90s London.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

freebooter posted:

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman is another painfully English book, but also a bit fantastical, yet there's plenty of English mannerisms and humor and references you might like.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
John le Carre's Smiley's People books are pretty damned English and very enjoyable.

Oh, and Pete Brown's Man Walks into a Pub, which is a Bill Bryson-y history of pub/drinking culture in England.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 9, 2013

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

thepokey posted:

I wouldn't mind giving some more Ben Elton a try. I have read High Society, Dead Famous and Chart Throb a few years back and enjoyed them, and preferred them in that order. I then just never really ended up going on to reading more of his stuff for some reason. But now there seems so many to choose from; any reccomendations? I love his style of mixing humour with suspense and a twist while taking a poke at satire or social commentary, but when I read reviews of heaps of his other books they all seem to say about the same thing.

Honestly, you've read most of his best. Blind Faith and This Other Eden are the only two others I would recommend. Blind Faith is Elton's take on a Brave New World-ish dystopia where privacy is practically outlawed and you're free to follow any religion you choose, but you can't choose 'no religion' because that would be intolerant of other people's religions and intolerance is punishable by death. This Other Eden takes place in the near-future; everyone stopped giving a poo poo about the environment and just let it get worse and worse before packing up and moving into self-sustaining biodomes.

I enjoy Elton's work, but every book has the same condescending and cynical attitude towards kids these days (:smugbert:). Every young person is self-absorbed, shallow, hypocritical, and utterly reliant on techno-gadgetry - in Blind Faith, people literally wallow in filth because they're too lazy/uninterested in cleaning up after themselves. Whether or not you agree with the basic premise that the human race is doomed because everyone younger than Ben Elton is poo poo at everything, it gets a bit tiresome to read that same message over and over again.

Sorry that got a bit ranty. I hope it doesn't put you off reading more of his work! Blind Faith is one of my favourite books, even if I think his satire misses the mark.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright, despite not having read it. Spadoink had this to say about it in the Reading Challenge thread:

Spadoink posted:

51. The Bone Thief - V.M. Whitworth
52. Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood & The Prison of Belief - Lawrence Wright

:dance: 52 done! And what a book to end on - I've always been interested in Scientology, and this book was excellently written, in depth, engaging, well-researched (with a ton of footnotes regarding all the ways Scientology and Tom Cruise deny what has been documented and observed by multiple independent sources) and full of the crazy. Everyone should read this book right now!

And, come on, who in America isn't fascinated with the secret cult that is Scientology?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Fremry posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright, despite not having read it. Spadoink had this to say about it in the Reading Challenge thread:

Not a bad call, especially considering that it just came out in paperback. Simon Winchester is generally awesome, too, and if you want something more humorous you could go with Sedaris, Mary Roach, or Sarah Vowell (Assassination Vacation being my favorite of hers). Also, because it's one of the two or three books I mention most frequently in this thread, John Vaillant's The Tiger is one of my favorite non-fiction books, period.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

barkingclam posted:

Seconding I, Claudius, which has a lot of scheming and backstabbing and whatnot. Procopius' The Secret History is filled with that, too: plotting courtiers, backstabbing court eunuchs and absolutely slams Theodora as a witch, prostitute and worse. It's by no means an impartial account, but it's an interesting read.

Yeah, I've read I, Claudius. It was okay I guess except that the protagonist didn't do poo poo all his life and ended up being emperor. I guess you could argue he was the smartest of them by playing dumb. I'm looking for a more hands on approach from the main character.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

mmtt posted:

Yeah, I've read I, Claudius. It was okay I guess except that the protagonist didn't do poo poo all his life and ended up being emperor. I guess you could argue he was the smartest of them by playing dumb. I'm looking for a more hands on approach from the main character.

In the sequel "claudius the god king" your complaint is not valid anymore. That said, I thought the 2nd book was a lot weaker and certainly contained less intrigue/backstabbing, so since you didn't like "I claudius" that much I can't recommend it.

Other suggestion are Wolf Hall (about Thomas Cromwell, advisor of Henry VIII) and A Song of Ice and Fire (fantasy, first book is game of thrones).

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2013

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

freebooter posted:

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey & Maturin series, Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series and Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scottland Street all ooze charming Britishness.

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 10, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series

While it is very British, I really didn't like The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. It's a 71-year-old man writing through an 11-year-old girl, and it feels like that. It is very much a first novel, with none of the characters fleshed out and the mystery not very intriguing. I was disappointed, because I like the idea of a girl solving mysteries with chemistry in a 1950's English countryside.

So, what I'm asking is, are any of the sequels better or worth it?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

mmtt posted:

Coleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series fits your criteria. It's historical fiction that has tons of political intrigue, scheming, backstabbing and military battles. It starts with Marius and Sulla's rise to power and continues to the founding of the Roman Empire. The main POV characters are always the top players like Marius, Sulla, Caesar, Octavian, etc., so you don't have to worry about them playing a passive role.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

savinhill posted:

Coleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series fits your criteria. It's historical fiction that has tons of political intrigue, scheming, backstabbing and military battles. It starts with Marius and Sulla's rise to power and continues to the founding of the Roman Empire. The main POV characters are always the top players like Marius, Sulla, Caesar, Octavian, etc., so you don't have to worry about them playing a passive role.

It sounds like it's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendation goons!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Franchescanado posted:

So, what I'm asking is, are any of the sequels better or worth it?

If you didn't like the first one, you won't like the other ones either. They are more fleshed out, but generally it doesn't really change much in terms how the story is told or how it is presented. Personally I really liked them, but then I have no more idea of being an eleven year old girl than the author. :D

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm thinking of picking up a book for my soon-to-be 10 year old sister. As I am not, nor have ever been, a 10 year old girl, I'm wanting some recommendations as to good reads for someone her age. Now, I know myself, at 10, was reading everything from Boxcar Children to Hunt for Red October, and I know she reads a bit above her age level (most kids do, I understand anyways). I'm not sure what she's into as far as genres or what not, or if she'd be interested in non-fiction (I live some 1200 miles away from her). Otherwise, I know what books I really like, that I'd love to share with her, but am afraid they may be a tad above her level, but feel free to correct me; things like "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", or "Neuromancer". Also, I love to read very spergy history books, and while I'd love to get her into that, I'm sure sending something very in depth and niche may be too much to keep her attention.

Basically, what kind of books to I buy for a clever 10 year old girl?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

YF19pilot posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a book for my soon-to-be 10 year old sister. As I am not, nor have ever been, a 10 year old girl, I'm wanting some recommendations as to good reads for someone her age. Now, I know myself, at 10, was reading everything from Boxcar Children to Hunt for Red October, and I know she reads a bit above her age level (most kids do, I understand anyways). I'm not sure what she's into as far as genres or what not, or if she'd be interested in non-fiction (I live some 1200 miles away from her). Otherwise, I know what books I really like, that I'd love to share with her, but am afraid they may be a tad above her level, but feel free to correct me; things like "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", or "Neuromancer". Also, I love to read very spergy history books, and while I'd love to get her into that, I'm sure sending something very in depth and niche may be too much to keep her attention.

If you like history, or she is interested in history, might I recommend the Magic Tree House series? I loved the poo poo out of them when I was around her age and they do a good bit of instilling a sense of history along with your standard shlocky kids stories.

I'd hold off on the stuff like Neuromancer, because wow, she's a 10 year old girl.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sandwolf posted:

If you like history, or she is interested in history, might I recommend the Magic Tree House series? I loved the poo poo out of them when I was around her age and they do a good bit of instilling a sense of history along with your standard shlocky kids stories.

I'd hold off on the stuff like Neuromancer, because wow, she's a 10 year old girl.

Yeah, both those books have sex scenes, and are a bit heady, which is why I'm very hesitant on getting her a copy. I'll check out the Magic Tree House series, I've seen it on Amazon.

e: What about the Ranger's Apprentice? Looks to be some kind of fantasy series?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

YF19pilot posted:

I think those books would be too much for a 10 year old. They would have for me, anyway, and I read more than any kid I know.
I'd go for something like The Westing Game or Bridge to Teribithia

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I taught elementary students at an after school program for a while. We had a reading time, and I made a point to see what the kids were reading. If she really likes Fantasy, and the obvious Harry Potter is out of the window, maybe get her books in Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series? They were hugely popular. Same with the His Dark Materials series

I remember reading, and still love (Daniel Handler's) Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which do great for vocabulary, have an interesting structure that begins to play with it's own tropes, and has a lot of literary references. They're dark, morose, and very funny. If those prove to be too dark or (somehow) boring, Daniel Handler's alter ego has a newer book series for older kids in the same Unfortunate universe called All The Wrong Questions which is based in noir and mystery.

I also really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which involves monsters, time-loops, WW2, and other awesome things. But the main character is 16, and acts like it.

Other good ones:
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Giver

Edit: The Flavia de Luce series I'm not really a big fan of the series, and it was brought up recently, but I think it's appropriate. It's about an 11 year old girl in 1950's England that is obsessed with chemistry and uses it to solve mysteries. The first book is about a murder mystery, but it's from her perspective and everything. I don't remember there being anything mature, and it's pretty light-hearted.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 13, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Reading the comments I'm a little worried The Magic Treehouse might be a bit 'young' for her. I got The Bridge to Teribethia, and found I was still short on the free shipping for the rest of my gifts, so I also ordered her The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; so she'll actually be getting two books instead of just one. If she likes them I may be back in three months to get ideas for her birthday.

Otherwise, what is the general consensus on the likes of the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson? A few coworkers of mine were chatting about them, and I saw them in the 'children's' section on Amazon. Would any of these be age appropriate, or should I wait until she's at least 12/13?

edit, didn't see this:

Franchescanado posted:

I taught elementary students at an after school program for a while. We had a reading time, and I made a point to see what the kids were reading. If she really likes Fantasy, and the obvious Harry Potter is out of the window, maybe get her books in Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series? They were hugely popular. Same with the His Dark Materials series

I remember reading, and still love (Daniel Handler's) Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which do great for vocabulary, have an interesting structure that begins to play with it's own tropes, and has a lot of literary references. They're dark, morose, and very funny. If those prove to be too dark or (somehow) boring, Daniel Handler's alter ego has a newer book series for older kids in the same Unfortunate universe called All The Wrong Questions which is based in noir and mystery.

I also really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which involves monsters, time-loops, WW2, and other awesome things. But the main character is 16, and acts like it.

Other good ones:
Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Giver

I will start making a list, her birthday is early March so I'll hopefully be better prepared.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 13, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The only thing I'd specifically recommend for a ten-year-old girl isn't a book, it's a movie -- Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

Past that it's hard to say. If you could get an omnibus edition of the entire Prydain Chronicles it'd be a good buy.

I'd also suggest Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books (The Wee Free Men and sequels).

Edit: vvv I couldn't remember the names of those, they're great too, may be a little harder to find

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 13, 2013

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Air, and The House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (they're a series).

You can't say they're below her reading level because I'm 23 and they're amazing. :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only thing I'd specifically recommend for a ten-year-old girl isn't a book, it's a movie -- Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

This, too. Miyazaki also did an adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle, for that matter.

edit 2: Seconding the Prydain Chronicles. Also The Dark Is Rising sequence, and maybe A Wrinkle in Time.

Echo Cian fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 13, 2013

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

I will start making a list, her birthday is early March so I'll hopefully be better prepared.

I'm sorry I keep adding more, but how can I forget one of my all-time favorite books as a child: HOLES. I loved that book as a kid. And hated the Shia LeBouf movie.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Franchescanado posted:

I'm sorry I keep adding more, but how can I forget one of my all-time favorite books as a child: HOLES. I loved that book as a kid. And hated the Shia LeBouf movie.

Was actually debating between Holes and The Bridge to Teribethia, so that will definitely be on her 'birthday' wish list :P

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise, what is the general consensus on the likes of the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson? A few coworkers of mine were chatting about them, and I saw them in the 'children's' section on Amazon. Would any of these be age appropriate, or should I wait until she's at least 12/13?

The Hunger Games has some graphic violence that might be too much for a ten year old. Harry Potter is definitely age appropriate. I don't know much about the Percy Jackson books.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Seconding/thirding His Dark Materials and Howl's Moving Castle (or literally anything by Diana Wynne Jones. The Dark Lord of Derkholm is a great parody fantasy story).

Maybe also Sabriel by Garth Nix? It's about a lady necromancer who has to stop an evil undead monster from taking over the world.

I think 10 is when I read the Hobbit for the first time, too.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I taught 5th graders last year, and they were absolutely bananas for Margaret Haddix's Among the Hidden and its sequels. That would be cool if you wanted to get her into dystopia novels. (Some of my 8th graders read/loved it this year)

I also recommend Green Angel by Alice Hoffman. A girl's family gets killed by a bomb (this isn't actually shown), and she has to figure stuff out. Hoffman's writing style is simple and sophisticated at the same time. Reading it felt like if you took a fairy tale and turned it into an Oscar-Worthy drama that wasn't boring. I know that sounds weird, but goddamn that was a good book.

Also, Phillip Pullman's Clockwork is a short thing with pictures that is surprisingly complex in its narrative structure, and kind of dark. It is essentially a tale of a deal with the devil in an old-world magic kingdom, and having to sort all of that out.

Edit: If she's a really good reader, get her The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. It's more of a 6th grade level and pretty thick, but it's safe aside from one slightly off-color joke. It has a female protagonist who kicks rear end, mostly by being smart and having common sense. It's also hilarious, and I seriously cried when the series ended. Not because I didn't like the ending, but because it was over.

ArmadilloConspiracy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 14, 2013

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so I'm sorry if it isnt.

I'm thinking of buying the first witcher book for my girlfriend cause she likes fantasy novels but I'm curious if I could just get her blood of elves or are the earlier books of short stories required reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So a while back, I requested some good dad books for Father's Day and got some excellent replies. Can I ask again, seeing as Christmas is on its way? Non-military this time, please - he's a huge military nerd, but I think I've been over-mining that vein lately.