Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Yushiro posted:

Looks like Funimation will have 3.0 playing in theaters starting January 10th. A trailer with the dub cast has been posted.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=2838

No Chicago date, but the previous films where both at the Music Box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Rocco and Garrett of Mega64 recently released a audio commentary for End of Evangelion.

I found it to be an enjoyable and quite interesting listen. :)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The dvd's of EOE are actually hard to find? I would've treated mine better if I knew that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a pretty woeful release anyway, apart from the DVD menu.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DVD release of EoE was letterboxed way after that poo poo should have gone away, they mistranslated a critical part of the plot and added a bunch of random stuff to the dub.

And I don't think we even got that awesome menu in the UK version, at least I don't remember it.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What part of the plot was mistranslated? I thought ADV translated things fairly well.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

House Louse posted:

What part of the plot was mistranslated? I thought ADV translated things fairly well.

As far as I know, there was a bit of hubbub about 'gratuitous' swearing(Misato: "So loving what if I'm not you!?") and something about adding in sfx(When the invasion force found Shinji and Misato capped the last guy, made some stupid glooping sound)

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
There is also the bit about Adam and Lilith, where the translation has Misato saying that "Mankind was spawned from a being called Lilith, just like Adam was", where a more correct translation would be something like: "Mankind was spawned from a being like Adam called Lilith."

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Utritum posted:

There is also the bit about Adam and Lilith, where the translation has Misato saying that "Mankind was spawned from a being called Lilith, just like Adam was", where a more correct translation would be something like: "Mankind was spawned from a being like Adam called Lilith."

:doh: Yeah, I remember now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

House Louse posted:

The movies were Manga, not ADV. Death has a lot of scenes that are questionably translated as well; I remember the scene with the Rei/dummy plug reveal being completely different upon comparison to the equivalent scenes in the Platinum release. Manga is a pretty bad company.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The dub of Evangelion are kind of riddled with iffy poo poo, they took a lot of liberties with lines (soldier flamethrowing a NERV employee: "aaaaaaaah..."Hit him again" "AAAAAAAAA") and sound effects, and kind of revealed their stupidity in the commentaries. Like, "there's no word for "I" in Japanese", and replacing the sound effect in the transition from Kaji's final moments to a Shinji/Asuka exchange (intended to be Asuka slapping Shinji) with a really loud gunshot because "God I dunno that gunshot sounded so wimpy it sounded like a slap so we got a better one."

Bewildering.

EDIT: Yeah, Manga specifically but a lot of ADV staff helped so who knows what the gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's any consolation, Manga Entertainment doesn't really exist anymore, except as a name that various anime distributors have taken on in the UK because people here expect 'manga films' (anime) to have that logo on the case.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Szmitten posted:

The dub of Evangelion are kind of riddled with iffy poo poo, they took a lot of liberties with lines (soldier flamethrowing a NERV employee: "aaaaaaaah..."Hit him again" "AAAAAAAAA") and sound effects, and kind of revealed their stupidity in the commentaries. Like, "there's no word for "I" in Japanese", and replacing the sound effect in the transition from Kaji's final moments to a Shinji/Asuka exchange (intended to be Asuka slapping Shinji) with a really loud gunshot because "God I dunno that gunshot sounded so wimpy it sounded like a slap so we got a better one."

Bewildering.

EDIT: Yeah, Manga specifically but a lot of ADV staff helped so who knows what the gently caress.

Whaaat. There's lots of words for I in japanese. The problem in translating that is BECAUSE they have lots of words for I with different connotations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Slime posted:

Whaaat. There's lots of words for I in japanese. The problem in translating that is BECAUSE they have lots of words for I with different connotations.

It is mindboggling. It's sort reached a meme status and is used as a "factually incorrect Wiki page, needs further amendments" banner on Evageeks.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The demand for "Evangelion 3.0" in theaters is so great that Funimation is delaying the US Blu-Ray release.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
There are going to be a lot of angry people on that roadshow. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zeruel posted:

As far as I know, there was a bit of hubbub about 'gratuitous' swearing(Misato: "So loving what if I'm not you!?") and something about adding in sfx(When the invasion force found Shinji and Misato capped the last guy, made some stupid glooping sound)

I'm watching EoE for the first time now and yes, that SFX was beyond hilarious. Talking about wrecking your immersion in the intense drama of an invading merciless clean up crew.

I also just watched the anime for the first time as well.

It's not even that I hate the whole thing. It's just that it starts so....normally and proceeds to be more or less normal for many episodes. Hell, half of the original anime series I'd say. Sure there's Angels and poo poo but it doesn't have anywhere near the same tone as the last few episodes. And those last few episodes were when it was actualy GOOD.

Only...it hurts what was good by having what came before. The last couple episodes of the anime don't address jack poo poo about the plot. It doesn't explain Adam or SEELE or what make Fuyutsuki join up with Gendo or what the Lance was and why it was so important or... The list of things that are never explained in the anime is very, very long. And so even though I genuinely enjoy the mind trip through Shinji's head, and I find the end of the last episode inspirational, I'm still left feeling frustrated and confused.

And I know EOE is supposed to address this but that is not doing anything to make me happy. The use of CHRISTIAN SYMBOLISM has taken on a whole new level of gratuitousness while having even less merit. Stigmata? Really? When robots attack Shinji's robot and he has blood on his hands? That's some great sign?

Uch....

I guess what I'm saying is that Eva is great when it does what it actually does good and that is examining the characters. When Asuka loses her mind, the history of Dr. Akagi and her mother and Rei, Kaworu nd how it devastates Shinji to kill him - that was actual quality I'd say.

But everything before that? The pretenses ata coherent narrative or to establish a believable fictional world? They fail spectacularly for me, even when there were episodes when it looked like the plot might begin to make sense and be interesting. (the episode starring Fuyutsuki is one of my favorites)

And that scene where Shinji finds Kaji while running away the second time, that was perfect. It's one reason why i miss Kaji so much - when he talked, he actually said something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 21, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I'm getting out of this is that you don't think "Both of you, dance like you want to win!" is a good episode and I'm not going to hear it :colbert:

Serious answer, Eva's final stretch wouldn't have really worked without the "generic" beginning with a boy needing to pilot his father's invention to save the world from aliens. It in combination with the sudden shift in tone (among other elements) is what made it sort of unique.

As for answers, while there is absolutely a lot of stuff thrown in for the sake of looking/sounding cool without really bothering to actually understand or use them properly, there is also a good deal of "show, not tell". I don't think there is really all that much ambiguity regarding Adam or Fuyutsuki, for example. Though years later it's hard to divorce some of this from the ramblings from evageeks so :shrug:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm still left feeling frustrated and confused.

Then I feel like the series succeeded, right?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Eva before Bardiel and Eva after Bardiel are practically two different shows. Because of that schizophrenic nature, something will end up frustrating to somebody. When Eva was supposed to be a regular mecha anime, the stuff it's remembered for now was frustrating. Now that Eva is supposed to be this deep rumination on miserable people, the stuff that you need to set up the miserable people is frustrating.

It's...not a very good show technically. Thematically it's amazing, but it's kind of like the Finnegans Wake of mecha anime.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

What I'm getting out of this is that you don't think "Both of you, dance like you want to win!" is a good episode and I'm not going to hear it :colbert:

It was fun yes but I'd rather watch Zoids. Better music.

Seriously, I think my irritationg with NGE is I went in expecting more. I'm not joking about the music - based on CrueL Angel's Thesis and all the soundtracks of Eva released, I expected one of the best anime OSTs I've ever heard. After finishing the anime, it doesn't even break mY Top 10.

And that was the least of my disappointments.

I think NGE is the victim of way too much hype. If I had watched it just expecting a somewhat interesting new experience, I might have liked it a lot more.

What also might have hurt it was the fact it's often compared tO Xenogears. Very wrongly as I discovered. I love Xenogears and Evangelion is nothing like it whatsoever.

quote:

As for answers, while there is absolutely a lot of stuff thrown in for the sake of looking/sounding cool without really bothering to actually understand or use them properly, there is also a good deal of "show, not tell". I don't think there is really all that much ambiguity regarding Adam or Fuyutsuki, for example. Though years later it's hard to divorce some of this from the ramblings from evageeks so :shrug:

Well in the ep witH Fuyutsuki he busts in and says he's uncovered the whole conspiracy behind Second Impact and SEELE and threatens to expose them. Then Gendo shows him something and suddenly he decides to work with them. I didn't get it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Well in the ep with Fuyutsuki he busts in and says he's uncovered the whole conspiracy behind Second Impact and SEELE and threatens to expose them. Then Gendo shows him something and suddenly he decides to work with them. I didn't get it.

Naked pictures of Yui/information that makes him complicit in SEELE's dealings so his rear end would fry with Gendo.

And Xenogears is compared to Eva because they're both mid-90s postmodern anime things with obscure and dense references to religions and cultures the authors barely seem to understand.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

Naked pictures of Yui/information that makes him complicit in SEELE's dealings so his rear end would fry with Gendo.

Huh. nice to know. Thanks.

quote:

And Xenogears is compared to Eva because they're both mid-90s postmodern anime things with obscure and dense references to religions and cultures the authors barely seem to understand.

i would contest that last part though. Xenogears' whole plot kinda runs on it being an allegory for the Gnostic Creation Myth and the names and symbols it uses make sense. (the Gazel Ministry all being named after Cain's children, the Sophia imagery, and many more things)

Of course they did also have their mascot character crucified.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

But everything before that? The pretenses ata coherent narrative or to establish a believable fictional world? They fail spectacularly for me, even when there were episodes when it looked like the plot might begin to make sense and be interesting. (the episode starring Fuyutsuki is one of my favorites)

Yes. Now you get it. Welcome to Evangelion. There's a lot of interesting potential in there, but guess what, it is not what the show is actually about.

Also the action scenes in the first half of the Evangelion TV series are still better than 90% of what studios put out today. This includes the soundtrack used during said scenes.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Alright I'm here. The REAL thread can begin now.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

MadRhetoric posted:

It wasn't something to scare Fuyutski. it was something to change his mind. Fuyutski didn't go along with Gendo because Gendo spooked him. By the end they were as much "friends" as Gendo can be friends with anyone and there was a degree of trust between the two. Fuyutski believed in Nerv and Instrumentality, because Gendo showed him something to change his mind. What is a bit of a mystery, but Gendo didn't blackmail him. He converted him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or getting in with Gendo was what Fuyutsuki really wanted all along. Remember, he knows and approves of Yui's plan for Instrumentality. It's very unlikely that he actually wanted NERV exposed or shut down. On the other hand as an associate of Yui's he would probably be in danger if he didn't fall in under someone else's banner.

The question is whether he played Gendo, or if Gendo called his bluff and welcomed him in anyways. (It's probably the latter.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 22, 2013

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or getting in with Gendo was what Fuyutsuki really wanted all along. Remember, he knows and approves of Yui's plan for Instrumentality. It's very unlikely that he actually wanted NERV exposed or shut down. On the other hand as an associate of Yui's he would probably be in danger if he didn't fall in under someone else's banner.

The question is whether he played Gendo, or if Gendo called his bluff and welcomed him in anyways. (It's probably the latter.)

Well I think at that point he doesn't really know Gendo's degree of involvement in Instrumentality and suspects him of just being a Seele agent coin weird Forbidden Science, and he's still lovely at him over Yui. Yu's ideas about Instrumentality, at that point to his knowledge were mainly a paper she wrote in school. I might be misremembering but I believe he didn't realize that the plan was not only in motion, but had incredible infrastructure and backing behind it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Yu's ideas about Instrumentality, at that point to his knowledge were mainly a paper she wrote in school.

Nah. Maybe this is a director's cut/broadcast cut difference, but there's a scene in episode... 22? 23? Where he and Yui are discussing it and Fuyutsuki emphatically pledges allegiance to her vision over SEELE's.

I guess you might be right about how much he knows about Gendo, but the end result is pretty much the same. They want the same thing to a point, and they're both trying to slip something by SEELE.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 22, 2013

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

You're right. I remember that bit. Still it's a on interesting scene. The relationship between Gendo and Fuyutski has always been interesting to me because thy aren't really friends, but they sort of are. Fuyutski doesn't get a lot of up front time but he's a really interesting character. I think him and Ritsuko are my current favorites because of their weird ambiguous relationships with Gendo, and being essentially his only equals in the organization, and they both have weird confused relationships with him driven by love or lust in one form or another.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Robotnik Nudes posted:

You're right. I remember that bit. Still it's a on interesting scene. The relationship between Gendo and Fuyutski has always been interesting to me because thy aren't really friends, but they sort of are. Fuyutski doesn't get a lot of up front time but he's a really interesting character. I think him and Ritsuko are my current favorites because of their weird ambiguous relationships with Gendo, and being essentially his only equals in the organization, and they both have weird confused relationships with him driven by love or lust in one form or another.

Definitely. I love his role in Rebuild, too, and I hope his reluctance/guilt over working with Gendo ends up being important somehow.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm sort of of the theory Gendo had aspergers and didn't even realize Fuyutski had a thing for his wife. Maybe he did by the time the show started. He started a fight to meet Fuyutski, but not with Fuyutski himself. Before Gendo met Yui he had some kind of crippling social anxiety, and she saw his nice side. In the end, he was just doing it all to see her again after all. Gendo didn't come up with Instrumentality, he was a weird dude Yui met and fell for. he had a good knack for organizing things, and a weird, hosed up set of ethics. After she's gone he plows ahead on her plan, with a couple twists of his own, but ultimately the whole show is Gendo, unable to really think for himself, doing whatever it takes to carry out his dead wife's evil scifi plan. He buddies up with Fuyutski because he admires him, and his wife admired him. I suspect Gendo had nothing but goodwill in his heart when he gave him than card because in Gendo's weird world Fuyutski is a friend of him and his wife so he would be super stoked to find out. Gendo, throughout the whole show never treats Fuyutski as anything but a respected equal, and Fuyutski never has any kind of "Ikari you're mad! You're a wild card Ikari! A maverick! A loose cannon! How can you do this to your son!?". They're two hosed up dudes trying oc array out the will of a dead crazy woman they both loved.

But thats a funny picture and yeah. Fuyutski was really just an old smart dude who had an unhealthy taste for young smart rear end, and it doomed humanity to have it's fate placed in the spoogey hands of a frightened child abuse victim. Because that's apparently what Yui wanted, because Yui was a scary crazy person, daughter of an Illiminatus, and is also a demon monster jesus robot.

I love Evangelion.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Didn't Gendo show Fuyutski one of the EVA-00 prototypes? I remember him showing him that after Fuyutski threatens to go public with everything and Gendo asks Fuyutski to help him 'create a new genesis for mankind' or something?

Gendo doesn't have Aspergers or anything of the sort. Gendo was a different person before Yui was lost to him. This is something directly stated by Fuyutski. They might have been friends prior to that but, since that day, and definitely by the time of the series, it's a pair of old men who don't really like each other, trapped by sheer inertia and fate to finish what was started no matter the cost.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Hey, you just be happy that this isn't a George Lucas production and they didn't go back and change it to a piano sequence for continuity.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What I took away from EOE is that the evil people have the best lives. Or at least the less bad ones. Because it seems to me that Keel and Gendo were the only two people not having breakdowns. They were in control of themselves and of the world.

Of course Gendo is supposed to be a deeply broken man all sad because of Yui's death but that only comes up in like a few lines iN EOE and it's hard to remember when compared to his usual self from all 26 episodes of the anime.

I will admit though that, while I definitely didn't drink the kool-aid on EVA and its greatness, I can see why Kaworu became so popular. In spite of being in one episode, he's one of my favorite characters. Can't really even explain why.

I suppose I should also mention I watched the English dub. I can't watch stuff like this with subtitles because my eyes aren't that good. I know the dub isn't too popular among EVA fans but I thought it was...decent after a fashion.

oh and one final thing, does anyone here read the various manga based oN EVA? I know there's a whole retelling of the anime in one and other AU manga like Campus Apocalypse or whatever.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The retelling one ended up also going into AU territory, if I recall right, where Shinji gets up in time to stop the all you can eat buffet. Oh, and did end up expanding on some areas: Kaji's hosed-up childhood, and making Kaworu more of an explicit rear end in a top hat (his motivation for dying switches from not wanting to hurt Shinji as a result of bonding with Lilith to wanting to give SEELE one last 'gently caress you' for controlling his life, regardless of how it'll affect Shinji).

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fuyutsuki's already in with Gendo. They've been tight since the beginning. Why would Fuyutsuki need to get in better graces with someone who respects him more than they respect pretty much anyone else not in a mom robot?

You're forgetting the part where Fuyutsuki is still mad about Gendo "stealing" Yui from him and his misgivings about how Gendo's plan for Instrumentality is shaking out compared to Yui's. Ritz also isn't really down with how the plan is going either, but she channels it into hating Rei for being Gendo's object of affection/obsession instead.

Fuyutsuki doesn't like Gendo. He puts up with Gendo for Yui and because he's a teacher/long-time partner in crime. But they ain't friends. Birth of NERV exists to show that. He is a nice enough guy to hope Gendo gets a Yui after Fuyutsuki gets his in EoE, though.

The retelling manga (which started before the anime) has some divergent characterization and ends trying to split the difference between CONGRATULATIONS and EoE My Purest Heart For You/One More Final.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eva's manga follows the story fairly close but veers a lot more 'traditional anime' in a lot of places. Sometimes that can work in its favor and other times it's a bit eyerolling, especially the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MadRhetoric posted:

Fuyutsuki's already in with Gendo. They've been tight since the beginning. Why would Fuyutsuki need to get in better graces with someone who respects him more than they respect pretty much anyone else not in a mom robot?

Not at that point he wasn't. Yui was Fuyutsuki's only real connection to the whole conspiracy -- he'd met Gendo once before that and disliked him even before Yui told him they were dating.

I'm gonna lean a bit on Evageeks since I don't have the series handy at the moment:

quote:

Fuyutsuki survived Second Impact, but his career as a university professor came to an end. In 2002, he "set up shop" at the ruins of Toyohashi (in Aichi Prefecture, east of Kyoto) as an unlicensed doctor to compensate for the shortage being experienced everywhere. Fuyutsuki was selected to be part of the United Nations' official investigatory expedition to the South Pole (on the basis on an anonymous recommendation by Gendo). Determined to discover the truth about Second Impact, Fuyutsuki relentlessly dug for information on Gendo, Second Impact, the Katsuragi Expedition, and the mysterious organization "Seele" to which Gendo and Yui were somehow attached.

He then confronted Gendo at the Artificial Evolution Laboratory with his findings. Gendo, unmoved by Fuyutsuki's threats of taking the information public, took him down into the Geofront and the under-construction facilities. Upon showing him the prototype Evangelion unit, he invited Fuyutsuki to "join us in creating a new genesis for Mankind".

Fuyutsuki subsequently joined Gehirn, though it would appear that he had little choice in the matter. He confides in Yui that he was under threat of erasure by Seele for knowing too much, and "working for the enemy" would provide a means to avoid that fate. (21')

I did make a mistake, though -- the scene where he talks to Yui about her plans has to take place after all of this, so he can't have Yui's plan for Instrumentality as a motivation. But he did join Gehirn/NERV for the sake of self-preservation, and Gendo is at least partly aware of Fuyutsuki's circumstances and using it to manipulate him.