Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Wait, are we talking about the time Fuyutsuki would send Gendo up the river in Birth of NERV, or the time Fuyutsuki threatened to send him up the river in the second part of the Zeruel episode?

Or am I thinking of something in the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MadRhetoric posted:

Wait, are we talking about the time Fuyutsuki would send Gendo up the river in Birth of NERV, or the time Fuyutsuki threatened to send him up the river in the second part of the Zeruel episode?

Or am I thinking of something in the manga?

The former, I think. I'm not even sure what you mean by the second so yeah, that might be something from the manga.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
I might be conflating the two, but if it's the one from Birth of NERV, they aren't even that tight. Gendo's got dirt on him and/or cut him in on Yui's plan. Thus, naked pictures of Yui.

After a while, the various versions start blending into each other and it's been a good long while since I've watched the series proper.

smdkenobi
Aug 6, 2004
Great conversation and thread everyone. I'm a chronic lurker, but I felt compelled to contribute this email Amazon sent me:

"We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]"
Previous estimated arrival date: February 18, 2014
New estimated arrival date: January 08, 2014 - January 11, 2014"

As a huge fan of the series, the rebuild has been just the ticket to bring me back. Although the sub of 3.0 I watched a few months ago left me with mixed feelings....

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

MadRhetoric posted:

I might be conflating the two, but if it's the one from Birth of NERV, they aren't even that tight. Gendo's got dirt on him and/or cut him in on Yui's plan. Thus, naked pictures of Yui.

After a while, the various versions start blending into each other and it's been a good long while since I've watched the series proper.

It's more of a "silver or lead" offer - Gendo's implicitly saying Fuyutsuki can either join him or be killed by a security goon. There's that (wrong, I think) Poe quotation which implies Gendo means to bury him alive...

On the other hand I always thought they got on OK by the time of the series.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
For some reason, one of my favourite scenes - in the sense that it sticks with me vividly - is a scene from End of Evangelion. It's the scene where Shinji meekly asks 'Is it okay for me to be here?', is promptly met with a black void of nothingness and silence, and he just screams.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

smdkenobi posted:

Great conversation and thread everyone. I'm a chronic lurker, but I felt compelled to contribute this email Amazon sent me:

"We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

"Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo [Blu-ray]"
Previous estimated arrival date: February 18, 2014
New estimated arrival date: January 08, 2014 - January 11, 2014"

As a huge fan of the series, the rebuild has been just the ticket to bring me back. Although the sub of 3.0 I watched a few months ago left me with mixed feelings....

I got that too, which was coincident with Funimation announcing that the release was delayed, so I'm not sure what to believe.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

So my friend and I have been working on recording a concept album of songs about character in Eva who are lacking in agency. We're calling ourselves AT Fielf and the album is called Dolls. Here's a few examples of early, ver crude vocals and mixes.

This is a song about Rei
https://soundcloud.com/atfieldband/clone-girl-early-vocal-mix

Here's another song about Rei
https://soundcloud.com/atfieldband/not-the-first-shoggoth-scratch

Here's or big Asuka song. The final version has a little monologue Tiffany Grant recorded for us I wrote.
https://soundcloud.com/atfieldband/hey-boy-early-mix-garbage

Song form Asuka's Mom's POV
https://soundcloud.com/atfieldband/doll-part-2-penultimate-mix

The Kaworu Song
https://soundcloud.com/atfieldband/tear-me-apart-final-mix

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
A weird conversation to get someone into the Evangelion series:

"Watch this show, Evangelion"
"Will I like it?"
"You'll hate every single person in the entire show. It's awesome!"

It's almost like how some of the best operas and classical plays are tragedies.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Which version of Ode To Joy is used in the Death And Rebirth trailer? It's not the normal one you can find anywhere, this one is much faster and has a lot more ...impact?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2x8VW-DZgU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think it's just from a different part of the movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljGMhDSSGFU

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
So who here is excited to see the limited theatrical release of Evangelion 3.33 tonight? Besides being a great way to let localizers know that there is a demand for theatrical runs on anime films, it's possibly one of the only times that we'll actually be able to watch one of these Evangelion films the way it's meant to be watched--in a theater environment surrounded by long time fans.

In fact, it's been surprising to see just how much a demand THERE IS to see Evangelion 3.33 in theaters. Funimation delayed the home release of Evangelion 3.33 just so they could concentrate their efforts on a larger theatrical run. My pre-order of Eva 3.33 is in limbo right now because so many of us fans are committed in seeing this film in theaters.

I'm usually the first guy to criticize dubs, but I'm actually pretty darned excited to see what sort of performance Spike Spencer is going to deliver for Shinji in Evangelion 3.33. I haven't read much about the dub (I understand they did a preview run for it at this year's comic-con), but I'm excited to see it just the same.

So let's send a message to Khara. If the Evangelion 3.33 theatrical run does well, they may be more willing to explore some sort of parallel release by the time it comes to release Evangelion 4.0 (lol, yeah right, but a goon can dream :downs:).

What brings me to my point is that I'm sitting on an available ticket for Evangelion 3.33. I bought a whole bunch for me and my friends but one guy dropped out at the last second. If there are any Houston TX goons willing to drive out to the Katy area that want to see this movie but can't because it's sold out, please PM and I'm sure we can work something out.

tl;dr I have one ticket for Evangelion 3.33 at the Alamo Drafthouse theater in Katy, TX. If some goon missed out on the opportunity of purchasing a ticket before they sold out, I'm willing to let this one go for ticket price. PM me for details.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going tonight mostly for the novelty of seeing it in a theater. Last time I saw an animated ova in a cinema was the Cowboy Bebop movie in 2003.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I saw the first two subtitled in theaters here in Dallas and I think having Japanese language audio is part of the full experience. These were packed as well, so I was pretty disappointed finding out the screenings were dubbed and that killed any interest I had.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Console Role Player posted:

Funimation delayed the home release of Evangelion 3.33 just so they could concentrate their efforts on a larger theatrical run.

Which basically going by the Facebook where they announce new theaters was them adding two chicago showings and mysteriously removing the Minneapolis showing.

As somebody who lives in a market that Funimation doesn't care about (Wisconsin). The delay comes off as not to focus on a more expansive theatrical release but instead systematically gently caress over anybody who doesn't live in a bigger market like Texas or California.

Of course its a mixed loving blessing because I took the time to watch 3.33 last night and just found it to be simply awful. Hopefully 4.0 is good but 3.0 just felt like a kick in the face.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Which basically going by the Facebook where they announce new theaters was them adding two chicago showings and mysteriously removing the Minneapolis showing.

As somebody who lives in a market that Funimation doesn't care about (Wisconsin). The delay comes off as not to focus on a more expansive theatrical release but instead systematically gently caress over anybody who doesn't live in a bigger market like Texas or California.

Of course its a mixed loving blessing because I took the time to watch 3.33 last night and just found it to be simply awful. Hopefully 4.0 is good but 3.0 just felt like a kick in the face.

Evangelion remains as polarizing as ever; about 1/3 of the audience in the theater I was in tonight felt the same.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The problem with 3.0 is that after the ending of 2.22, which ended on such a high note with Shinji saving the day, Misato shouting for him to go for it, then getting the girl, then 3.0 comes out and hah nope, you didn't save the day, or get the girl, and you almost blew the planet up, and Misato is blaming Shinji for it even though she is the one that encouraged him.

It doesn't seem to flow. It's like we're missing a movie in-between 2.22 and 3.0

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with 3.0 is that after the ending of 2.22, which ended on such a high note with Shinji saving the day, Misato shouting for him to go for it, then getting the girl, then 3.0 comes out and hah nope, you didn't save the day, or get the girl, and you almost blew the planet up, and Misato is blaming Shinji for it even though she is the one that encouraged him.

It doesn't seem to flow. It's like we're missing a movie in-between 2.22 and 3.0

One thing to note is that while Misato was cheering on Shinji, Ritsuko was freaking right the gently caress out about how hosed they were. So there wasn't a total disconnect, it's just that people didn't give much weight to what Ritsuko was saying right at the end of 2.22.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Misato wasn't cheering Shinji on for HIS sake, it was for HER sake.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah, that's basically my main problem with the movie, it feels like something is missing and basically shits all over the great ending 2.22 had.

I think I would've liked the 3.0 we were shown in the original teaser better, where potentially Shinji and Rei would be out for most of the movie while they were stuck in Eva 01 while other bad poo poo happens and instead of it being where everybody (Including the no-name no-purpose new support crew in WILLE who've never met Shinji) is pissy at Shinji yet refuses to flat out say everything that happened because they're just too mad to talk to him.

Also it just seemed to waste a good chunk of the cast, its basically just Shinji and Kaworu, not that this is particularly a bad thing but its rather strange to have an Evangelion movie where over half of the main cast is just not needed. We got nothing new with Mari either, she was basically there to say something humorous or have her breasts jiggle, but nothing else.

The ending bugged me too but that was more for reasons of "Why?" rather than anything else.

I mean, I guess it wasn't particularly bad per se, just disappointing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eh, I would have been far more okay with the tonal shift if it didn't rely on characters deliberately hiding information from Shinji. I got that a ton of people were upset with him, and hey I can't get why that is. Whether or not he knew what he was doing, Shinji caused a pretty bad thing to happen. There's bound to be resentment. However, the characters in 3.0 don't ever really seem to take into consideration or even care what Shinji thinks. Everything that happens in the movie is completely unnecessary, and it just kinda felt like a cheap/lazy way to up the stakes for the next film.

It is certainly the most Evangelion-esque Rebuild film so far, that I will agree. However, what I got from 3.0 was that nobody really knew how to follow the 2nd film. I may very well be completely wrong about this, but that was the vibe I got from it and why I'm not the biggest fan.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

You've misunderstood what happens at the end of Rebuild 2. Everyone is doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. This is the real reason for everything that goes wrong, and digging out those wrong reasons and making you look at them is why Rebuild 3 has to follow 2 the way it does.

Rei tries to heroically sacrifice herself, but she does it out of a deep sense of personal worthlessness, not for the love of the world or belief in her cause or anything like that. As a result her sacrifice achieves nothing, the bomb bounces off Zeruel's AT field, the disaster continues. This is still a manifestation of the new agency and initiative Rei shows in the Rebuild movies compared to the series, it's just sabotaged by her inferiority complex. In Rebuild 3 this progress is reversed, with Rei reverting to a puppet who takes no action of her own free will at all -- but at the end she starts to find it again.

Shinji tries to turn his back on the pain and madness the Evangelion program represents, which is a reasonable choice, but one that damns his fellow pilots and everyone else at NERV. He can't live with this, so he comes back -- as much out of guilt as anything else. He's fixated on his mistake instead of thinking of how to put things right. Stopping Zeruel and saving Rei by assuring her that she's not replaceable is the right thing to do. It's sweet, it's heroic, and frankly he owes it to her. But there's still a deeply selfish side to his actions; he wants to make a martyr of himself, not live and seek forgiveness. Lots of people have compared Rebuild Shinji to Gendo but as I've said before a much better analogy is that he's acting like his mother. This comes out in Rebuild 3 where he continues to frantically try to undo or ignore his guilt until Kaworu faces him to confront it in the most grisly way possible -- but at the end there's the possibility that he'll learn from it.

Misato cheers Shinji for taking life into his own hands, which is something he needs to hear, but like Shishkabob points out, it's as much for her own sake as his. She wants to think she's a better parent than her father, to take credit for Shinji turning out "well" even though she pushed him into a world-devouring war machine. She takes revenge through his life-and-death battles. She probably loves him, but as a proxy, not as an adopted son. And then in Rebuild 3, Misato has become a hardened veteran who (if Asuka's bitter comments are to be taken seriously) treats everyone as expendable and looks on everyone with a cold, practical gaze -- except, of course, that she still can't bring herself to kill Shinji.

I could go on, but the point is that the ending 2.22 isn't actually the heroic climax it pretends to be. The fact that Gendo seems so pleased with it should tip you off all by itself, really. Everyone's just pretending that everything's okay, repressing the real problems and just going through the motions of saving the world*. But this is Eva we're talking about so that's not good enough, the things they're hiding sabotage everything they do.

(*Except Mari, who really is a cheerful and well-adjusted Eva pilot. Go figure.)

Rebuild 3 is the next logical step: everything rotten and hidden has to come out into the light. Kaworu shows Shinji the dead world. Fuyutsuki tells him what happened to his mother in the plainest language the series has ever used. Asuka tells Shinji how much she resents him. Shinji plainly admits that he's terrified and a little grossed out by Rei. All the skeletons that 2 shoved into the closest have to come out. It's not a betrayal of the hope expressed in Rebuild 2, it's just the only way you could realize it without it seeming forced and fake.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I like that the first two acts were buildup to an amazing climax and the third act just sunk everything in your chest. Looking forward to 4.0.

Took me some time (and probably the subsequent viewings) to get there but I pretty much love it now. Some stories do well with a straightforward rocket to the top but this is not one of them.

As for keeping Shinji in the dark I find it pretty easy to lampshade (14 loving years of loss have gone by, they didn't trust a drat thing coming out of that eva, Mark09 hit them before they could even breathe) for the sake for theme. 3.33 really nailed its themes of confusion and betrayal and loss.

I also find Misato's inability to pull the trigger grossly overlooked. Her being cold as gently caress the whole way through made this crack all the more momentous to me. She just put the entire human race back into risk (allowing the entire ensuing clusterfuck to happen, mind you) because she cared too much for this thing they weren't even 100% sure was Shinji. If you guys wanna be real about it, what would any smart organization do with the person that inadvertently blew up most of the living world because the whole shebang was unpredictable as gently caress? Kill the poo poo out of it, immediately. No one's got time for feelings or explanations or whose fuckin fault was whose when the human race is about to go extinct. In fact it's technically amazing they kept him alive at all. That's as much "forgiveness" as I think you could possibly show for someone who blew up the world and is still a walking timebomb (once again, it simply does not matter whether or not it was his fault).

edit: ^^^ for the record, when I say amazing climax, I'm pretty much just referring to dramatic curve and the feeling for the audience

edit2: and to kinda piggyback on your post, that's what I love about Rebuild 3... it kinda slices Rebuild 2 to shreds and shows you just what a hollow victory it was. I find it....pretty real in terms of chronicling that moment in adolescence where you swear to god you did the right thing, everything seemed great, and then suddenly the carpet goes out under you and it turns out everything went to poo poo. That poo poo happens in life, man.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

(*Except Mari, who really is a cheerful and well-adjusted Eva pilot. Go figure.)

Exactly. Mari is not real. Mari baaaasically represents what anime fans think is AWESOME and all protagonists should be.

But as Joss Whedon basically said, fans don't really know what's good for them.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 11, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yellowjournalism posted:

Exactly. Mari is not real. Mari baaaasically represents what all anime fans think is AWESOME

Mari is awesome, though, or at least hilarious. She's the little angel on everyone's shoulders telling them to take risks, be open with their feelings, to enjoy what they do. She's gone to the Id and made peace with it.

edit: I don't think the theme of Rebuild is primarily negative or critical. It's expressly "a more hopeful take on Evangelion." Mari isn't the answer to the problem, just like knowing someone who's happy isn't a cure for depression, but it proves that such a thing is possible.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 11, 2014

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Woah, woah, don't get me wrong. Mari is a great time, I'm just referring to the joke of what she represents. In fact with the way you put it, I can read it as the role that fantastical, indulgent characters play in fiction-- as an ideal to strive for and look up to, even if it is sorta unreal.

I dunno if you're responding me to when you say Rebuild is primarily negative or critical because I don't even remotely think that at all. I think Rebuild 3 is the (practically necessary) pull-the-carpet-out setup for a triumphant, uplifting climax of victory and maturation (with a bittersweet ending of course).

I think Rebuild 3 (and consequently the series in general) would've been total poo poo if it had an ending that felt anywhere as good as Rebuild 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

We're on the same page, I'm just sounding it out. Half this stuff I don't even think of till I've written it out and look at it.

Except that I don't know if I'd take anything Joss Whedon says about pop culture or narrative structure too seriously. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rei tries to heroically sacrifice herself, but she does it out of a deep sense of personal worthlessness, not for the love of the world or belief in her cause or anything like that.

Good post, but this stuck out to me. I don't know that this is entirely true. Considering Rei's carrying Shinji's SDAT player, almost certainly as momento, and she says "I can do this for him so he never has to pilot it again" (paraphrased), don't you think it's reasonable to conclude that her sacrifice is at least partially motivated by concern or love for Shinji, if not for anybody else? Her self-worth issues are certainly still there and presumably make her less reluctant to blow herself up, but I don't think it's fair to say that her sacrifice is just a manifestation of those issues.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good post, but this stuck out to me. I don't know that this is entirely true. Considering Rei's carrying Shinji's SDAT player, almost certainly as momento, and she says "I can do this for him so he never has to pilot it again" (paraphrased), don't you think it's reasonable to conclude that her sacrifice is at least partially motivated by concern or love for Shinji, if not for anybody else? Her self-worth issues are certainly still there and presumably make her less reluctant to blow herself up, but I don't think it's fair to say that her sacrifice is just a manifestation of those issues.

The two go hand-in-hand. Rei defines herself exclusively in terms of her connection with other people, so picking up the SDAT is significant in two ways; on the one hand it's a gesture of attachment to Shinji, and on the other hand it's something unneeded and discarded, in both cases just like Gendo's broken glasses. That's how she thinks of herself; something that was useful to them, but if she's broken she can just be replaced. I don't think she's acting out of any kind of confidence in the outcome.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 11, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly I was cheering for Shinji the whole time, so to speak, because absolutely everyone in the cast had become unlikable to sometimes irrational and utterly incompetent levels often counter-intuitive to their goals. They deserved to have Fourth Impact happen for their total imbecility.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread so I'll try to avoid going on the exact same rant again, but your loving goal is "Stop Shinji Ikari from piloting Evangelion". You seriously somehow bumble THAT?! That has to be one of the easiest goals in anime. Yes, berate and treat the child who just woke up like crap, despite the fact you know he was just a tool and are engaged in ferocious combat against his father and those you know are the true enemy, despite the fact that you know he has no idea what happened, despite the fact that you probably have some idea that there are those who might try to capture him and manipulate him, do your absolute best to drive him into the arms of absolutely anyone who doesn't immediately treat him like dirt or threaten him. No need to fill him in on anything or at least let him know what's going on. Just immediately treat him like a war criminal.
Even if they unfairly put all of the blame on his shoulders, that's totally and utterly incompetent. While I appreciated the need for this low note dispelling the false victory of the second film, it felt forced and like the characters acted against their previously established personalities, motivations, and even their present goals and interests in terms of how they interacted with Shinji.
Someone mentioned earlier that it doesn't flow and it's true, the characters other than Shinji and the way they act contributes to this disjointed feeling. The characters acted against reason, personality, their own goals and motivations, for the sake of creating this new "downer" world's vibes and setting.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved Rebuild 3 despite this, but pretty much everyone other than Shinji, Kaworu, and Fuyutsuki felt unlikable and out of character.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 11, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nobody involved in that decision acts against their established motivations or personalities. The only people who berate or mistreat Shinji are Misato and Asuka, both of whom have tremendous reasons to be both angry and irrational towards him.

As for unlikable, well, it wouldn't be Evangelion if it didn't force you to figure people out before you can empathize with them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only people who berate or mistreat Shinji are Misato and Asuka, both of whom have tremendous reasons to be both angry and irrational towards him.
Really don't buy that they do (and seemingly neither did you back in July). Especially Misato. It goes against what she knows, what she's trying to stop, her previous relationship and interactions with Shinji, basically everything. They have far more tremendous reasons not to be angry at him, and that's why they nearly get Fourth Impact.
Basically, while I appreciated this new future downer world and the need for it, it didn't feel like we flowed naturally into it.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 11, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Misato feels guilty for encouraging him and takes it out on him.

She's been at war for fourteen years and it's pretty strongly implied that Kaji died at some point during that time; she could, quite reasonably from her perspective, blame Shinji for this.

Even if she doesn't, she has to answer to an entire crew for whom Shinji is just "that guy who wiped out most of humanity." She likely feels obligated to them to be hard on someone who from where they stand, is a war criminal.

Her close friend Ritsuko knows more about the mechanics of Third Impact than anyone else on their side, and she unabashedly calls for Shinji's death. Merely treating him like a prisoner is a compromise compared to that.

Even setting aside all of that, you're wildly over-estimating people's ability to be calm and rational about war, death, and mass murderers. Misato wants bloody revenge for the death of one man who died as a result of his own experiment when she was just a child. Shinji killed an entire planet.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

(and seemingly neither did you back in July)

Nobody disagrees with me about Evangelion as loudly and strongly as I do three months later. You think July is a thing, you should have seen my posts at the very beginning of the previous thread.

I didn't like the tonal shift in Rebuild 3 at all on the first viewing. All the stuff I'm talking about here is how I came around to it.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 11, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

When I get around to the inevitable re-watch, maybe I'll have warmed up to it a bit more. I mean its only been about a day since I watched it and I've already changed my opinion from absolutely hating it to just disappointed. I mean, it took me a rewatch of End of Evangelion in Japanese to warm up to it and now that's one of my favorites.

Only one thing really outright bugs me though.

In the ending, why did Asuka go out and find Shinji? Why, even after she left him alone, did she come back and insist on taking him along with her to presumably rendezvous with WILLE? From what I understood they basically considered him a liability and didn't want anything to do with him other than keep him as a prisioner. I mean, from what I gathered she still hated him, why would she bother getting him and not just leave him to die in his Entry Plug? I mean, other than the obvious needing him to be around because he's the main character.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

In the ending, why did Asuka go out and find Shinji? Why, even after she left him alone, did she come back and insist on taking him along with her to presumably rendezvous with WILLE? From what I understood they basically considered him a liability and didn't want anything to do with him other than keep him as a prisioner. I mean, from what I gathered she still hated him, why would she bother getting him and not just leave him to die in his Entry Plug? I mean, other than the obvious needing him to be around because he's the main character.

Because she's tsundere.

No, seriously. Asuka is easy to figure out.

I just wish I understood why Kaworu does anything with the same certainty.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 11, 2014

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just wish I understood why Kaworu does anything with the same certainty.

At some point I just threw up my hands and decided a large part of it isn't supposed to be understandable because he isn't human.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Because she's tsundere.

No, seriously. Asuka is easy to figure out.

Was that really it? Dammit, I kind of figured that there would've been some actual good reason other than just an excuse to use her character trait.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's important to remember that at the end of the day Asuka isn't nearly as tough and badass as she claims to be. She's mad at Shinji, and that anger can sometimes be overwhelming, but Shinji is still someone she can actually relate to. I think she realized that no matter how much she may want to strangle him sometimes, Shinji had become someone she wanted around, which you can interpret however you want. When your only other person to relate to is Mari, you need someone else around to compare her to.:v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Was that really it? Dammit, I kind of figured that there would've been some actual good reason other than just an excuse to use her character trait.

I'm using it as shorthand because I didn't want to be tempted into another effortpost. I'm bad at this.

She resents Shinji, but she also feels responsible towards him. In the last fight scene where they're arguing she realizes why he's acting the way he is, and that it's more out of childish fear than malice. She's upset with him, but she doesn't hate him. In fourteen years she's grown enough as a person to at least try to help someone else with their psychological hangups, and besides, as Mari so astutely observes, she's still totally thinks he's cute.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

In the ending, why did Asuka go out and find Shinji?
Shinji is an Eva pilot. The series has shown us that all of the major players keep tabs on them, because a rogue pilot may become enmeshed in someone else's world-domination scheme (and an AWOL pilot could lead to a failed Angel interception and the extinction of humanity).

Asuka has insufficient courage to kill him on-the-spot (or, if you prefer, sufficient discipline to restrain herself). She can't just leave him to be recaptured by Gendo. She's seen that he can invoke some fairly powerful poo poo (even if his ability to control it is lousy) which may be needed in order to overcome the Adams (whose power completely outclasses her own EVA-02, and even the AAA Wunder). She knows that Misato spared him when she could have killed him, and so perhaps he still has some role to play in Wille's strategic plans. He has saved her life on a few occasions, so her actions here can be seen as discharging an obligation. Finally, she's twice his age and much more mature (or at least "more experienced"); she may feel a simple sense of duty towards him - he is, after all, still a child who has been badly hurt and frightened.

And he's the main character, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm using it as shorthand because I didn't want to be tempted into another effortpost. I'm bad at this.

She resents Shinji, but she also feels responsible towards him. In the last fight scene where they're arguing she realizes why he's acting the way he is, and that it's more out of childish fear than malice. She's upset with him, but she doesn't hate him. In fourteen years she's grown enough as a person to at least try to help someone else with their psychological hangups, and besides, as Mari so astutely observes, she's still totally thinks he's cute.

Okay, that sort of makes sense.

The last part is a little creepy considering that despite appearances everybody's 14 years older except for Shinji apparently.

Though why exactly does Shinji have to be 14 still? Because he was stuck in Eva 01? I mean, going by the cases of Asuka and Mari where they're basically permanently children, who's to say its not the same in Shinji's case?