Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I actually just recently started reading Homestuck myself, basically just on a whim after being vaguely aware for years now that it was a thing that existed and hearing it was going to be wrapping up soon.

I'm literally right at the point where Dave installs the game finally and waiting for it to load. No one informed me I should have been posting about this in a live journal all along, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sounds like you just blew it, better mindwipe yourself and start over.

Just... write it down on a wall or something, reminding you to keep a liveblog this time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Zoe posted:

I actually just recently started reading Homestuck myself, basically just on a whim after being vaguely aware for years now that it was a thing that existed and hearing it was going to be wrapping up soon.

I'm literally right at the point where Dave installs the game finally and waiting for it to load. No one informed me I should have been posting about this in a live journal all along, oh well.

I would, personally, stop reading at the beginning of act 6 if I was you. Anything after that isn't worth your time.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Kheldragar posted:

I would, personally, stop reading at the beginning of act 6 if I was you. Anything after that isn't worth your time.

The best character in Homestuck doesn't show up until act 6, why are you tryin' to deprive the poor boy?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Angry Walrus posted:

The best character in Homestuck doesn't show up until act 6, why are you tryin' to deprive the poor boy?

Oh, you mean Lil' Cal? Haven't seen much of the guy recently. :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Angry Walrus posted:

I'm pretty sure Vriska shows up well before that, though?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kheldragar posted:

Or maybe he could keep reading and decide his own opinion of it.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
Looking back I'm starting to wonder why I ever liked homestuck. I want my time back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

We were all younger and dumber in the past. It's normal.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm on the old side for a Homestuck fan (35, which is like 80 in Internet years), and I still appreciate it. Not enough to have read a single fanfic, but enough to have bought albums and some shirts and contribute to the Kickstarter.

I think I look at it less like a narrative and more like "Let's look in and see what these characters are doing." And I like pretty much all of the characters, so that works. Well, maybe not "like," but at least "care enough to see how my favorite characters deal with them."

I'll actually probably be a little sad when it ends, just because the game will probably be the only other chance to check in with them all.

It might also be because I have a history of reading print comics though. An ongoing series with the Homestuck characters having adventures that last 1-3 issues a piece, and only focusing on a few characters per storyline, would be pretty much perfect for after this thing ends. It sometimes feels like it tries to do that anyway, but in a much more haphazard fashion and tied into the central story.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm pretty ancient too and I still appreciate it. I haven't given Hussie my momey in any form, however.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Dick Bitchwhistle posted:

Looking back I'm starting to wonder why I ever liked homestuck. I want my time back.

It's one of those escalating-secrets-and-revelations plots. But it does seem like even hussie can't make one of those stories that doesn't end up being kind of arbitrary by the end.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Fister Roboto posted:

We were all younger and dumber in the past. It's normal.

the true message of Homestuck

The future is uncertain and the present is an illusion; the only truth is in the past, and that truth is that we are all complete morons, all the time, forever

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 24, 2013

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

The future is uncertain and the present is an illusion; the only truth is in the past, and that truth is that we are all complete morons, all the time, forever

My god.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yup, that seems about right.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I thought the message was

quote:

TG: the thing with time travel is
TG: you cant overthink it
TG: just roll with it and see what happens
TG: and above all try not to do anything retarded

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Zoe posted:

You're not too late to start a liveblog if you want to. Just write down your impression of it up until now and start your liveblog by posting that. I would also encourage you to avoid spoilers as much as possible, as to keep genuine first impressions as soon as possible.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Please don't start a liveblog.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Half of livebloggers are weird idiots that don't get jokes and hate Rose because girls saying words infuriate them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Livebloggers are weird idiots

More succinct and to the point.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seoinin posted:

Half of livebloggers are weird idiots that don't get jokes and hate Rose because girls saying words infuriate them.

I'm pretty sure that only happened with one specific liveblogger. And he a) realized he was being an rear end in a top hat and apologized, and b) disappeared shortly after that.

But for a brief time, it was like having our own little Caliborn. :angel:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still like homestuck because pretty colors and things go boom :buddy:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like Homestuck because it always makes me laugh sometimes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But seriously don't do a liveblog.

It'd be like... videotaping yourself playing a videogame for others to see. I mean imagine that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blackheart posted:

But seriously don't do a liveblog.

It'd be like... videotaping yourself playing a videogame for others to see. I mean imagine that.

Hey everyone and welcome back to Let's Play Homestuck, today I'll be going all the way to page 7441, starting from where I left off last time on page 6526! Let's get going! :buddy:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Hey everyone and welcome back to Let's Play Homestuck, today I'll be going all the way to page 7441, starting from where I left off last time on page 6526! Let's get going! :buddy:

This is actually a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=let%27s+play+homestuck&sm=1

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Now uh as you may have um heard Homestuck was uh originally called Doki Doki Panic in uh japan but was reskinned as a um sequel to Problem Sleuth because Whattu Pampukin was uh worried that American audiences would uh find Problem Sleuth 2 too ummmmmmmmm difficult.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Are you loving kidding me :cripes:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Are you loving kidding me :cripes:

Some of them even have facecams.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some of those are really freaking weird. They're basically audio books, where multiple people are acting out the characters, which is...fine? I guess? But what gets me about the only one I could look at for more than a minute is that they'd focus the video ON THE WORDS, and not just on the images. You're reading it to us, the dialogue, generally, isn't important enough to show AND tell. I mean I know the alternative is, usually, a static image-but it's still better than staring at words that some one is going to act-read at you at a much slower pace than you will take TO read.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'd rather watch a several-hour video of PewDiePie reacting to Homestuck than reading an actual liveblog. Liveblogs are just loving pictures of pages with comments like "Heh, Dave said something funny" or "I don't know what's going on?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Titty Hero posted:

I'd rather watch a several-hour video of PewDiePie reacting to Homestuck than reading an actual liveblog. Liveblogs are just loving pictures of pages with comments like "Heh, Dave said something funny" or "I don't know what's going on?"

Liveblogs basically exist for the people who pester their friends to read Homestuck because I WANT TO SEE YOUR REACTION TO THIS PART OMG OMG OMG

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Fister Roboto posted:

Liveblogs basically exist for the people who pester their friends to read Homestuck because I WANT TO SEE YOUR REACTION TO THIS PART OMG OMG OMG

Well I DO want to see how my friends react to media I like

optimal word being "friends"

most of these weirdos with liveblogs are not like friends I would choose.

Dante Basco has done a sort of homestuck liveblog, just occasionally reposting panels on his tumblr with a short remark or something but not really a full liveblog, he even voice-acted one of Dave's rants. Apparently the part where he got to Tavros summoning RUFFFFIOOO was really funny but I don't remember it too well.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I really like Homestuck liveblogs, but I am also a terrible person who enjoys watching the suffering of others.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Dante Basco has done a sort of homestuck liveblog, just occasionally reposting panels on his tumblr with a short remark or something but not really a full liveblog, he even voice-acted one of Dave's rants. Apparently the part where he got to Tavros summoning RUFFFFIOOO was really funny but I don't remember it too well.

I don't know about that part, but the part when in-comic Hussie makes out with Rufio's corpse was a pretty amusing moment. Nobody told Dante Basco about it ahead of time, and he was, by his own admission, slightly tipsy when he got to that part.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

:stare:

Some of them have tens of thousands of views. I find that deeply troubling.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
So when is Solaire of Astora supposed to be in Namco High?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

While the liveblogging thing is weird, when updates were happening regularly this very thread was basically SA's big liveblog, with all of the same hurried and blurted-out first reactions to big twists and rambling, mostly-wrong speculation. I guess the difference is in a bunch of people discussing the comic around a proverbial water cooler vs. a liveblog holding up the story of one person reading the comic being a story unto itself. Or something, I don't know.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
This retarded thing that you all like loving sucks.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ColabHQ isn't actually a liveblog; it's actually a bunch of people who decided to voice act Homestuck, in all of its longer-than-War-and-Peace glory. This fandom is crazy, but it's an ingenious kind of crazy, like Nikola Tesla.

I honestly don't get all this hate with livebloggers; maybe I just happen to follow some high-quality ones and because of that I have never seen this weirdness you speak of. Could someone explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Haven't there been a BUNCH of projects wherein people voice act the entirety of homestuck? I mean just go on tindeck and you'll find thousands of nasally teenagers trying to be trolls.