Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah, a lack of combat sustainability is also why my Lissa is like 9 levels behind everyone else. I haven't got the foggiest idea of how to level her up either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artificer posted:

Yeah, a lack of combat sustainability is also why my Lissa is like 9 levels behind everyone else. I haven't got the foggiest idea of how to level her up either.

Find boss who doesn't move. Find durable character. Unequip weapon. Let him hit character. Have Lissa heal. Repeat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You just heal people with her. Healing grants experience based on the staff used, it doesn't matter how much damage you heal at a time. Every time someone takes so much as one damage you heal them. You could level Olivia by dancing for Lissa so she can heal twice every player phase.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heal everyone no matter how little their damaged and spam Rescue staves.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Even without that tactic, I found myself having Lissa heal all the time but I guess I play it differently than most people it seems.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Lissa's always my first unit to hit 20 because it's so easy to level her up just by healing. You don't even need to grind her up or anything, just heal people whenever you can.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I never really used healers in FE:A because Sol and Vantage are pretty common on the better units.

Also, I don't get the complaints about FEA have bad writing. It's not great, but I mean almost everyone has more to them then almost everyone from previous games.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Awakening's characters are extremely strong and are rightly praised, but everything else in the script is a shallow pastiche contrived solely to justify their mingling. It manages to be less substantial in that regard than even other Fire Emblem games, which at least benefit from having a few more cast members intimately involved in and emoting about events in the story.

It's okay that the main plotline is bad because it's not the point and you don't have to care if you find yourself unable to.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 19, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Okay, Gregor is the goddamn best. :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dancers are probably at their worst in this game because the maps don't typically have side goals (like saving villages, etc) where going fast is particularly useful, and half the maps after Olivia joins are just big featureless plains that are impossible to set up defensive lines on.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Dancers are probably at their worst in this game because the maps don't typically have side goals (like saving villages, etc) where going fast is particularly useful, and half the maps after Olivia joins are just big featureless plains that are impossible to set up defensive lines on.

For assassination maps you can at least give your initial Rescuer a few extra move on turn one, and if they have the range they can full move, Rescue Olivia, get danced, full move again and Rescue your boss killer or another Rescuer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Or you could just use Galeforce and have one pair of units get there on their own in the first turn. Dancing might save you like one turn if you aren't using Galeforce.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Or you could just use Galeforce and have one pair of units get there on their own in the first turn. Dancing might save you like one turn if you aren't using Galeforce.

Unless you're deliberately grinding them up, you're not likely to have more then one or two units with the skill by the end of the game.

Also, Olvia can have it. :science:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, you have Olivia at chapter 11. You will have a unit with galeforce at, what, chapter 22? Unless you grind, but if you grind you can throw all assumptions about any usefulness out of the window.

Anyway, I find the best use for Olivia to be throwing her into myrmidon, which she's really good at, and back to dancer after she's gotten swordfaire to compensate for dancer's poo poo stats.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

^^^You can get one of Sumia and the Avatar Galeforce around Chapter 15 if you are making it a priority. If you focus on both you can probably do it by Chapter 18 or 19.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can combine that with Galeforce, though. With 2 Galeforcers and a good Rescuer you can kill almost every boss on turn 1.

WrightOfWay fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can already do that, though. The Dancer adds nothing. Even one unit with Rescue and no Galeforce could probably handle it for every map in two turns max.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I usually use Dancers to double up a Staff user. Physic, Warp, Barrier, all useful spells.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anatharon posted:

Also, I don't get the complaints about FEA have bad writing.
Validar is literally the most boring villain I've ever seen in a video game. If a villain isn't going to have any sort of depth to them, at least let them be entertaining in their generic evil-ness. Validar doesn't even accomplish that. He completely drags the last third of the game down with him. I'd take Sturm from freaking Advance Wars over him - at least Sturm had a cool theme.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 20, 2014

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can already do that, though. The Dancer adds nothing. Even one unit with Rescue and no Galeforce could probably handle it for every map in two turns max.

The Dancer let's you do that without grinding a character through three different classes, and even works with Galeforce.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It kind of works in that it only refreshes one move and not the full set, but you're missing the point. Even if you aren't using a broken skill Dancer adds nothing. Period, end of story. There is literally no point of time on any difficulty level in any stage of the game in which having a Dancer could possibly change something in any meaningful way. In fact, you're really just hurting yourself by not bringing a unit that can fight or give better support bonuses. Sure, you can use Olivia to refresh your healer but you could also just bring another healer instead. You have three or four by the time you get Olivia anyway. At best you might save yourself a turn. Maybe. The only use for it is to expedite staff grinding a bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Validar is literally the most boring villain I've ever seen in a video game. If a villain isn't going to have any sort of depth to them, at least let them be entertaining in their generic evil-ness. Validar doesn't even accomplish that. He completely drags the last third of the game down with him. I'd take Sturm from freaking Advance Wars over him - at least Sturm had a cool theme.

I'd say Validar is one of the weirdest bits in the game.

Not that he's a crappy villain. Not even that most of the other antagonists are much better than him.

It's that the game knows he's a crappy villain, but still gives him almost a third of the game as the driving force. I mean, Basillo gives him a speech about how, really, he's poo poo at this whole evil mastermind bit. He almost gets killed in the first act, and is only saved by divine intervention. It's not even like Kai Leng where it feels like internal conflict between "He's a badass ninja and he's SO COOL" and "Seriously? This stupid fucker is one of our lead villains? Well, if we can't get him cut from the plot we can at least have him look like a tosser" factions.

It's just odd.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

It kind of works in that it only refreshes one move and not the full set, but you're missing the point. Even if you aren't using a broken skill Dancer adds nothing. Period, end of story. There is literally no point of time on any difficulty level in any stage of the game in which having a Dancer could possibly change something in any meaningful way. In fact, you're really just hurting yourself by not bringing a unit that can fight or give better support bonuses. Sure, you can use Olivia to refresh your healer but you could also just bring another healer instead. You have three or four by the time you get Olivia anyway. At best you might save yourself a turn. Maybe. The only use for it is to expedite staff grinding a bit.

I'm not a fan of Olivia in general but this is just hyperbole. She's no Feena or Sylvia, but she does enable things that would otherwise be completely impossible otherwise. Facing impossible odds and need to end the chapter right now or lose? Olivia gets you closer to the boss. Need to get your paladin deep enough into enemy territory to take out an archer so you can bring your fliers to bear on the main problem? Olivia can help out. These situations aren't particularly common in this game, but saying that deploying her is literally always worse than deploying someone else is just wrong.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

The Hierophant should've gotten more screen time and been the main villain.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say Validar is one of the weirdest bits in the game.

Not that he's a crappy villain. Not even that most of the other antagonists are much better than him.

It's that the game knows he's a crappy villain, but still gives him almost a third of the game as the driving force. I mean, Basillo gives him a speech about how, really, he's poo poo at this whole evil mastermind bit. He almost gets killed in the first act, and is only saved by divine intervention. It's not even like Kai Leng where it feels like internal conflict between "He's a badass ninja and he's SO COOL" and "Seriously? This stupid fucker is one of our lead villains? Well, if we can't get him cut from the plot we can at least have him look like a tosser" factions.

It's just odd.

It gets even weirder when you add Aversa into the mix. She's his 'daughter' and at the end of the game is fiercely loyal to him... but she serves Gangrel for the first act and seems to have no connections to Validar even when he gets porked in the botched assassination. Only towards the end that the family angle comes out of nowhere.

You could call it as Validar being the real mastermind, Gangrel being a puppet leader and Aversa there to keep an eye on him, but then that makes Validar even stupider to lead the charge against Emmeryn.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Caulder was the best "I AM YOUR EVIL FATHER" villain IntSys has done. Just sayin'.

My bad. Forgot we had newbies in here again for a moment.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Manatee Cannon posted:

It kind of works in that it only refreshes one move and not the full set, but you're missing the point. Even if you aren't using a broken skill Dancer adds nothing. Period, end of story.

Take your best unit.

They now get two turns.

Like, the way Fire Emblem works, one strong unit getting two actions is better then two weaker units getting a single action.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Take your best unit.

They now get two turns.

Like, the way Fire Emblem works, one strong unit getting two actions is better then two weaker units getting a single action.

The problem is that sooner or later you end up with a choice between one strong unit and a dancer or two strong units.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

By using a dancer you don't have to spread the combat EXP as far, so all your combat units will be stronger on average.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Bongo Bill posted:

The problem is that sooner or later you end up with a choice between one strong unit and a dancer or two strong units.

11 trained units and a dancer will have more levels on them than 12 trained ones. Dancers are literally free exp. There's no reason not to use them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not a fan of Olivia in general but this is just hyperbole. She's no Feena or Sylvia, but she does enable things that would otherwise be completely impossible otherwise. Facing impossible odds and need to end the chapter right now or lose? Olivia gets you closer to the boss. Need to get your paladin deep enough into enemy territory to take out an archer so you can bring your fliers to bear on the main problem? Olivia can help out. These situations aren't particularly common in this game, but saying that deploying her is literally always worse than deploying someone else is just wrong.

These situations don't exist at all in this game, I don't know what chapters you're talking about.

Dr Pepper posted:

Take your best unit.

They now get two turns.

This might be an actual argument for Dancers if it weren't for the fact that pretty much every character in the game can kill nearly anything in one round by themselves by chapter 10.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Manatee Cannon posted:

This might be an actual argument for Dancers if it weren't for the fact that pretty much every character in the game can kill nearly anything in one round by themselves by chapter 10.

Assuming you're not grinding, then Lissa, Maribelle, and chances are, Donnel. If RNG doesn't favour you, Sumia, Sully, Virion and Stahl would also have trouble.

Really, Olivia isn't a perfect unit, but there's no need to get hyperbolic. She's far from the worst unit in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not saying she is. She's not stuck with Dancer.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Manatee Cannon posted:

You dont get that strong until far, far later. Even then, the bulk of that strength comes from Pair up.

And it's funny, but the game usually has you deploy an odd number of characters in a stage. What do you know, put Olvia there and suddenly you the ability to get a pair to have two actions!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not saying she is. She's not stuck with Dancer.

Yes being stuck in one of the best classes in the game is sooo horrible.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 20, 2014

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

ApplesandOranges posted:

It gets even weirder when you add Aversa into the mix. She's his 'daughter' and at the end of the game is fiercely loyal to him... but she serves Gangrel for the first act and seems to have no connections to Validar even when he gets porked in the botched assassination. Only towards the end that the family angle comes out of nowhere.

You could call it as Validar being the real mastermind, Gangrel being a puppet leader and Aversa there to keep an eye on him, but then that makes Validar even stupider to lead the charge against Emmeryn.

If I remember right, there's actually a scene set just before Chapter 11 where Gangrel sends Aversa off and reveals he knew she was playing him and working for Validar the whole time, or something along those lines. The problem is, it's one of a handful of scenes that were only on the game's Japanese web site instead of being in the game proper. God only knows what they were thinking there.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dr Pepper posted:

By using a dancer you don't have to spread the combat EXP as far, so all your combat units will be stronger on average.

This matters in a game where XP is a limited resource. Awakening doesn't have limited resources as a matter of course.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Anatharon posted:

I never really used healers in FE:A because Sol and Vantage are pretty common on the better units.

Also, I don't get the complaints about FEA have bad writing. It's not great, but I mean almost everyone has more to them then almost everyone from previous games.

It has its good moments (a lot of the supports, the Mustafa chapter, everything Gregor ever says), but compared to the Jugdral games/FE7/The Tellius games, the main story really isn't very good. The plot is rather silly, the time travel nonsense is pretty stupid, and Validar is quite possibly the most boring main antagonist in the series, competing with Veld from FE5. Walhart manages to be far more memorable even though he impacted the plot far less.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hey, let's be fair. Berdo is much worse.

He literally has 22 lines in the entire game. I counted. He never appears between Chapter 5 and 24. (Out of 25!) It's almost amazing how little he matters.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh wow. I decided to have Chrom fight Walhart this time and their conversation is pretty awesome.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

Hey, let's be fair. Berdo is much worse.

He literally has 22 lines in the entire game. I counted. He never appears between Chapter 5 and 24. (Out of 25!) It's almost amazing how little he matters.

Berdo is literally just an afterthought, which is pretty amazing. The game's main story ends and then they're like "oh yeah, there was that dastardly dude who did bad stuff... guess we should go take care of him" and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
And Jugdral's story received a bit of supplemental materials here and there to flesh it out.