Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention Birdo isn't even really the main villain of the game, even if he's the last boss. The main villain is Reidrick, who isn't exactly lighting the screen on fire either, but at least he *does* stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It makes a lot of sense why Validar does so little during the game. One thousand years of controlled breeding and incest would surely mean that towards the end it would be a feat for them to be able to spell ones name let alone try and plan anything devious

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Cake Attack posted:

Hey, let's be fair. Berdo is much worse.

He literally has 22 lines in the entire game. I counted. He never appears between Chapter 5 and 24. (Out of 25!) It's almost amazing how little he matters.

This is true. Validar, for all his faults, at least actually did stuff. Berdo (who the hell came up with that name, anyway? If he weren't such a laughably bad villain to begin with it'd be almost impossible to take seriously) turned Eyvel to stone and... that's it really, unless you count some characters mentioning how we was being really evil offscreen or something.

Bishop Rodan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 21, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

This is true. Validar, for all his faults, at least actually did stuff. Berdo (who the hell came up with that name, anyway? If he weren't such a laughably bad villain to begin with it'd be almost impossible to take seriously) turned Eyvel to stone and... that's it really, unless you count come characters mentioning how we was being really evil offscreen or something.

Pretty much anyone important gets killed in 4, so 5 can't really touch them. Trabant in particular.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hey, I have a question about Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC. I just finished Chapter 14 and have recruited all of the future's children, and I've been wondering when the best times to play the Future Past pack and the Scramble Packs are. I want to avoid any major storyline spoilers. I assume that Future Past shouldn't be played until after the main game is completed, but will the Scramble Packs be ok? Can you play the DLC content after beating the main game, or should it be played in the chapter before the final map? Thanks!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Scramble Packs are fine. The maps are super-easy and there's no spoilers for anything, and you can play it as soon as you buy it.

Heck, you could play the future past maps right now too. The problem isn't plot or whatever, the problem is that the future past maps are harder than the final chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scramble pack doesn't have any spoilers, after you beat the final chapter it just dumps you to your last save so you can do whatever you want after winning. I don't think you'll have to worry about spoilers in Future Past at this point but I think the enemies might be too strong for you before the end game. Not sure though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Scramble missions do not spoil anything of the main game. The Future Past missions are basically a better ending than the actual ending of the game.

Once you beat the game, reloading your save file puts you back on the world map as it was the last time you saved, and you can go back out to the world map, where you can continue doing whatever you want. That includes DLC, plus any unfinished paralogues.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Once you beat the game, reloading your save file puts you back on the world map as it was the last time you saved, and you can go back out to the world map, where you can continue doing whatever you want. That includes DLC, plus any unfinished paralogues.

You can save in the preparation screen for the last chapter and it'll put you there. You can exit it to the map.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Catalina posted:

Hey, I have a question about Fire Emblem: Awakening's DLC. I just finished Chapter 14 and have recruited all of the future's children, and I've been wondering when the best times to play the Future Past pack and the Scramble Packs are. I want to avoid any major storyline spoilers. I assume that Future Past shouldn't be played until after the main game is completed, but will the Scramble Packs be ok? Can you play the DLC content after beating the main game, or should it be played in the chapter before the final map? Thanks!

Once you beat the final chapter you get to save, see the ending, and then you're kicked back to the world map with the final chapter unlocked. Since the Future's Past series literally includes a more difficult version of the final boss in 3, and the other two have more difficult enemies, saving it until after you beat the final boss would probably be a good idea.

The Scrambles are much easier and if you've recruited all the kids you should be able to pretty easily do them now. They're fun, though you might want to hold off on doing them until you've done a few supports and figure out which of the characters you like best. Annoyingly, there aren't enough deployment slots to get every additional conversation/scene so if you want to see everything you need to do them all at least twice.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thanks so much!

Awakening is a great game, I've put 80 hours into it already. The only problem I've ever had with it is that my sister keeps stealing my 3DS to play her own game of it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's been awhile so I forgot. How many mines (and thus mine glitches) do you get in FE7? I'm trying for a LTC run and I'm tempted to loot the enemy weapons in 17x.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Anatharon posted:

It's been awhile so I forgot. How many mines (and thus mine glitches) do you get in FE7? I'm trying for a LTC run and I'm tempted to loot the enemy weapons in 17x.

Up to five, but you can only get two of them on normal mode and one of them is a reward for letting all but one of the soldiers die in 17.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Serenes Forest claims you can get one in chapter 13, and if one NPC soldier (unclear of this means "at least one" or "exactly one") survives chapter 16 (17 in Hector mode), you'll get a second one at that time. Heath comes with one, and on Normal difficulty only, chapters 26x (17x) and 27 (29) have enemies from whom you can steal one. No shops carry them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You can also activate the mine glitch if you manage to lure an enemy onto the lava traps that are present in the level your main lord gets their promotion item. I don't think those are present in any other levels though, but you can get a Tomahawk and some other cool poo poo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

The Scramble Packs are fine. The maps are super-easy

I mean yeah they sort of are but then MIRACLE COUNTER after twenty minutes of reading conversations and you just want to cry. gently caress Revenants, they are the worst (especially when they activate Astra).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Serenes Forest claims you can get one in chapter 13, and if one NPC soldier (unclear of this means "at least one" or "exactly one") survives chapter 16 (17 in Hector mode), you'll get a second one at that time. Heath comes with one, and on Normal difficulty only, chapters 26x (17x) and 27 (29) have enemies from whom you can steal one. No shops carry them.

Guess I'll use it now since I can get one later for the uberspear, thanks!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can also perform the glitch with the Torch Staff in Fog of War maps.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

WrightOfWay posted:

You can also perform the glitch with the Torch Staff in Fog of War maps.

Wait what I've never heard of this and I've played FE7 for years.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

Wait what I've never heard of this and I've played FE7 for years.

It's relatively newly discovered. I's more applicable in FE8, with its relative dearth of ways to execute the glitch.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I am interested in learning about this torch staff glitch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

I am interested in learning about this torch staff glitch.

The tile you center the torch on counts as a PWASE, same as a mine, lava tile, or downed snag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xpPgsXeeR4

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Interesting. I'll try it out next time I play, assuming it's practical to do on hardware. What does PWASE stand for, though?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

Interesting. I'll try it out next time I play, assuming it's practical to do on hardware. What does PWASE stand for, though?

Place Which Affects Something Else. It seems to be the only unifying characteristic of the tiles that can activate the glitch (or did at the time the phrase was coined).

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Hmm, so I purchased Fire Emblem Awakening and decided to play on Hard since I've played a number of Fire Emblem games before. I'm on mission 3 so far and constantly restarting, because people keep dying in turns one or two. Is there any basic non-spoiler advice I should know? I am still getting the hang of this partner system and I'm unsure if it's advantageous or not.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HiKaizer posted:

Hmm, so I purchased Fire Emblem Awakening and decided to play on Hard since I've played a number of Fire Emblem games before. I'm on mission 3 so far and constantly restarting, because people keep dying in turns one or two. Is there any basic non-spoiler advice I should know? I am still getting the hang of this partner system and I'm unsure if it's advantageous or not.

It's most definitely advantageous. I suggest keeping everyone close and highlighting your enemies' ranges so you don't put too many guys in harm's way.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For right now, just abuse the hell out of Frederick to allow your guys to get some kills. You could easily get away with him getting all the kills, but you don't really need to on Hard mode. There isn't a risk of him leeching exp since that is an unlimited resource in this game.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Momomo posted:

For right now, just abuse the hell out of Frederick to allow your guys to get some kills. You could easily get away with him getting all the kills, but you don't really need to on Hard mode. There isn't a risk of him leeching exp since that is an unlimited resource in this game.

Wait, really? That blows my mind if it's true.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HiKaizer posted:

Technically yes, but it's a little harder to get on Hard mode and absolutely ridiculous to get on Lunatic.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Really, in Awakening, unless it's like, Boots, if you can get it, you can get more of it. I actually don't like it a lot, it makes everything feel samey after a while. Part of it's the map design too but I don't think that's the primary problem there.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I mean, you can always... not do the random encounters. It's not like that's impossible or anything, and the difficulty curve holds up fine. Better, in fact.

Map design still sucks though.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Technically yes, but it's a little harder to get on Hard mode and absolutely ridiculous to get on Lunatic.

Do Risen encounters give EXP?

If not there's always DLC which is worth buying anyways. Even the grinding DLCs are kinda charming with the dialogue.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:

HiKaizer posted:

Awakening provides three outlets for grinding extra experience outside of story chapters:

1. Risen - these are like the random encounter monsters in 8 (Sacred Stones). Risen will spawn on the world map after some time passes. You can also make them show up with a Reeking Box, but those cost lots of money on Hard. The difficulty of the Risen is tied to what chapter they show up on. (except for Lunatic and Lunatic+ where the Risen are max level all stats capped nightmares)

2. The Wireless box - you can make legacy characters of varying difficulty show up. More info here

3. DLC - go to the outrealm gate when it opens (it's sort of magenta) and romp around there to grind up characters.

So, there's no Arena or bonus experience like other games had, but there's still plenty of ways to level up anyone who you'd want to.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Do Risen encounters give EXP?

If not there's always DLC which is worth buying anyways. Even the grinding DLCs are kinda charming with the dialogue.

They do, but Reeking Boxes are way too expensive to use regularly without some of the DLC to give you tons of gold in Hard and Lunatic. And natural spawns aren't that much exp apiece, way less than a normal chapter. And they're entirely random.

The real way to grind in Hard without DLC is the cameo team summons. They give no exp in lunatic, but they still work in Hard. You won't get past max internal level without wanting to kill yourself though, none of them have a ton of enemies and grinding out 80 exp per summoned encounter is :suicide:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Grinding is seriously not needed, the game gives you more than enough EXP for a core team and some extras.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm around chapter 18 or so and enemies are promoted and have started catching up to my team. This is disturbing since Miriel can only heal one person a turn.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

nrook posted:

I mean, you can always... not do the random encounters. It's not like that's impossible or anything, and the difficulty curve holds up fine. Better, in fact.

Certainly but a) even avoiding that the game doesn't truck much with scarcity (shop contents, sparkle squares, etc) and b) if you have to actively ignore game features in order to get an extant difficulty curve, that doesn't say much for that part of the game's design.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

neongrey posted:

Certainly but a) even avoiding that the game doesn't truck much with scarcity (shop contents, sparkle squares, etc) and b) if you have to actively ignore game features in order to get an extant difficulty curve, that doesn't say much for that part of the game's design.

Just doing the random encounters that pop up naturally on Hard will not make you overlevelled, or break the difficulty curve in the slightest. And Reeking Boxes are too expensive to abuse unless you buy and play the DLC designed to give you tons of extra gold. (Normal with its 500 gold Reeking boxes is a totally different story)

I think people forget what the game is like if you don't have Golden Gaffe/EXPonential Growth and all the rest of the DLC. Just having enough gold can be pretty rough going throughout most of the run, and you have issues getting all the supports you want.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

neongrey posted:

I dunno, it's not like Final Fantasy Tactics where the game made you do random encounters on your way through the main campaign. I agree that some of the buyable shop items are pretty ridiculous like buyable Master Seals and Brave weapons, but random encounters are perfectly avoidable, and the game even tries to discourage you from using them on Hard by making Reeking Boxes so expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno, it's not like Final Fantasy Tactics where the game made you do random encounters on your way through the main campaign.

This is true, but the difficulty in FFT is a lot less explicitly chained to scarcity (be it of XP, items, other resources, whatever). Tightly limiting what you have access to and how you can access it is pretty much the soul of challenge in FE games and once you remove scarcity all the difficulty dribbles out. It's not coincidental that when I bring that fact up, people's objections hinge on methods of re-introducing scarcity.

e: So like yes, you can re-introduce scarcity into the game, and it will make the game more difficult. But you have to self-impose that scarcity to a large extent, and I don't think that's to the game's credit.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 22, 2014