Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Going back to Shadow Dragon would be painful in other ways though. One thing I'll forever miss going back in the series is unequiping weapons. So much easier than shuffling equipment around to avoid killing recruitable enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wasn't there a menu option to skip combat/enemy turn?

There is an option to skip combat, but there's no option to skip an individual combat, which seems silly but I like having it. Also in FE9 map combat animations still take a pretty long time.

Zore posted:

Yeah there are so many quality of life and interface improvements at this point, going back to anything older than Shadow Dragon can be a chore if you've played enough Awakening.

Trying to play Genealogy of the Holy War for the first time for instance. Its so difficult for me to decipher attack, keep track of level ups and gauge things like attack distances on huge gently caress-off maps and enemy turns that seem to last for years. I'm way too used to the modern interface.

Genealogy has more than a bit of a learning curve to it, but it has some really cool stuff once you figure it out. Though if you can't get past its quirks, I hear some guy did a really cool LP of it, so you could always check that out..

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno, I personally had a pretty easy time going back to FE6-8 for the first time in years after Awakening. Highlighting enemy ranges is nice and all, but I always have to end up double-checking them manually because even if you know you're in the ranges of enemies, you don't know what specific enemies you're in range of, so you have to check to make sure your pegasus knight isn't in the range of archers or ballisa and stuff like that. Just about the only things I miss are knowing how much range a siege tome boss has without manually checking and fusing weapon uses together.

Edit: ^^^

Manatee Cannon posted:

Going back to Shadow Dragon would be painful in other ways though. One thing I'll forever miss going back in the series is unequiping weapons. So much easier than shuffling equipment around to avoid killing recruitable enemies.

Oh God I forgot this one. Recruiting Douglas would have been so much easier if you could have just planted Miledy next to him and unequipped her.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 23, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wind God Sety posted:

There is an option to skip combat, but there's no option to skip an individual combat, which seems silly but I like having it. Also in FE9 map combat animations still take a pretty long time.

Genealogy has more than a bit of a learning curve to it, but it has some really cool stuff once you figure it out. Though if you can't get past its quirks, I hear some guy did a really cool LP of it, so you could always check that out..

Yeah, the LP might have been what inspired me to pick it up with the new patch. My brain is way too hard wired to modern FE though, I can't just instantly read the situation and it's throwing me off. Also I don't really like using that many mounted units, so obviously the game that plays ridiculously to their strengths is perfect :downs:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Last Celebration posted:

I dunno, I personally had a pretty easy time going back to FE6-8 for the first time in years after Awakening. Highlighting enemy ranges is nice and all, but I always have to end up double-checking them manually because even if you know you're in the ranges of enemies, you don't know what specific enemies you're in range of, so you have to check to make sure your pegasus knight isn't in the range of archers or ballisa and stuff like that. Just about the only things I miss are knowing how much range a siege tome boss has without manually checking and fusing weapon uses together.

Edit: ^^^

Oh God I forgot this one. Recruiting Douglas would have been so much easier if you could have just planted Miledy next to him and unequipped her.

Clearly you're not choking that point well enough?

Sorry if this counts as a macro I just don't have the image with the same scale without the text

FE has amazing AI :allears: Also apparently pacifist routines (For Douglas and Lalum/Elphin and Clarine in chapter 4) but I have no idea how to actually create them for other characters.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 23, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

Hey, it only costs 255! Get your facts straight.

Why, was that the max integer size?

Just seems kinda weird.

Wind God Sety posted:

I dunno I always thought the Thracia one was better.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 23, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've got a spare Second Seal around, so which of these should I use?

-Panne to Wyvern Rider
-Nowi to Wyvern Rider
-Miriel to Dark Mage (bear in mind she's only had 1 Magic gain since level 1)
-Vaike to Barbarian
-Other?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vaike and Panne would benefit from it the most if they're in their base classes still. Nowi could just stay a manakete for the rest of the game and be fine, and I'm not sure you're gonna salvage Miriel by making her a class with a lower magic growth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vaike becoming a barbarian is the secret to making him great.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've got a spare Second Seal around, so which of these should I use?

-Panne to Wyvern Rider
-Nowi to Wyvern Rider
-Miriel to Dark Mage (bear in mind she's only had 1 Magic gain since level 1)
-Vaike to Barbarian
-Other?

If you want to see your enemies flee before you then go with Vaike to Barbarian.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are certain characters almost designed to be falling behind late-game in Awakening, or am I just getting lousy level-up rolls?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artificer posted:

Are certain characters almost designed to be falling behind late-game in Awakening, or am I just getting lousy level-up rolls?
No one's designed to fall behind late game, no. You could just be underleveled, or you could just be unlucky.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Endorph posted:

No one's designed to fall behind late game, no. You could just be underleveled, or you could just be unlucky.

Okay, I think I've gotta just dump some of the stat-boosting items I've been saving up into Sumia and Miriel then.

Unless maybe Sages are JUST that squishy, in which case I've just gotta get better at guarding her. Maybe like a diamond formation with her in the middle or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, sages are meant to be squishy, and Miriel especially is one of the squishiest charcaters in the game.

And there's no point in saving stat-up items. Two points in a stat is huge early game and not that noticeable late-game, ergo it's better to use them early than wait until end-game to toss them around.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sages are squishy, yes. The only tanky spellcasters are Dark Mages and Sorcerers. Also, don't be afraid to use Tonics which basically give +2 to whatever stat you want for the whole mission.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Endorph posted:

Yeah, sages are meant to be squishy, and Miriel especially is one of the squishiest charcaters in the game.

And there's no point in saving stat-up items. Two points in a stat is huge early game and not that noticeable late-game, ergo it's better to use them early than wait until end-game to toss them around.
Pff. If you don't sit at the final chapter staring at a full stock of stat boosters, you're doing it wrong. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can buy as many stat boosters as you need in Awakening so don't worry about wasting them. I know it's hard to ignore the impulse to hoard but nearly every item in the game can be gained as many times as needed (though you need DLC for the legendary weapons).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tend to horde stat boosters until one of the characters I want to use roles some poo poo levels and starts falling behind. Then I have them chug every stat booster I've found so they hulk out and become useful again.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Saving a Speedwing and a Body Ring or two Speedwings for Athos in FE7 is a decent idea because it allows him to double the final boss (and some of the other bosses in Light) with Luna. Most games it's not really worth dumping statboosters on the Gotoh, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm playing through Path of Radiance now, and would like to remember who gets a lot of playtime in Radiant Dawn so I can get them to 20/20 for the bonuses (that's a thing, right?)

I seem to recall (from the LP way back when) that Ike and co feature a lot (obviously), Geoffery and co basically show for only a handful of missions, and Thorgrim (?) is never around, but as to the rest of them, I'm drawing a blank.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's not only 20/20, but also capped stats. If a character hits 20/20 and caps a stat then they get a bonus +2 (+5 for HP) to that Stat when transferred over to Radiant Dawn.

The exception is Sothe, who will have his level 20 stats (since he can't promote) directly transferred over, which can be handy.

Any A Support in Path of Radiance translates to a Bond Support (+5 Crit and Dodge) in Raidant Dawn.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Also make sure to get Ike/Soren A support if you care about Secret Hidden poo poo. It might be more trouble than it's worth though because the secret hidden poo poo only actually unlocks on a second playthrough (of RD).

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Sothe's a good choice for reasons already stated. Past that, Mia, Zihark, Ike, Titania, Soren, Boyd, and Jill all appreciate a boost in Radiant Dawn, and are good in Path of Radiance, so they don't have to go out of your way to cap them. Jill is maybe the biggest priority since some extra base stats on her can really help out in the Dawn Brigade chapters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Any stats you cap on Largo are also applied to Calill, not that you really need her to have them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

It's not only 20/20, but also capped stats. If a character hits 20/20 and caps a stat then they get a bonus +2 (+5 for HP) to that Stat when transferred over to Radiant Dawn.

The exception is Sothe, who will have his level 20 stats (since he can't promote) directly transferred over, which can be handy.

Any A Support in Path of Radiance translates to a Bond Support (+5 Crit and Dodge) in Raidant Dawn.

It only counts capped stats at -/20. If you cap stats without reaching level 20 or reach level 20 without capping stats you won't get any stat bonuses. Bond Supports always transfer, however.

I would definitely recommend not focusing on a transfer for Sothe. He doesn't gain a ton out of it (at best some defense, resistance and strength, none of which really effect how useful he is) and his stats transfer directly even if they are lower than his RD bases. His averages are pretty close to his RD bases but if he gets screwed in anything it can be a problem.

Bongo Bill posted:

Any stats you cap on Largo are also applied to Calill, not that you really need her to have them.

Calill with a Speed transfer is arguably the best Sage, not that that's high praise in this game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Amppelix posted:

Also make sure to get Ike/Soren A support if you care about Secret Hidden poo poo. It might be more trouble than it's worth though because the secret hidden poo poo only actually unlocks on a second playthrough (of RD).

Also it really doesn't change anything you didn't already figure out for yourself. So just support whoever you want with whoever you want.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jill easily gains the most from a transfer bonus. +Speed and +Strength changes her from a merely good unit to an indispensable one.

Also Nephenee is pretty good. She'll be more useful in chapter 2, and she'll hit her caps faster for even more BEXP abuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only characters I'd recommend not giving stat transfers are Ena, Nasir, Bastian, Lucia, and Geoffrey, due to their late join times in FE10.

And Jill is probably one of the best choices, since the Dawn Brigade needs all the help it can get. Zihark too.

As an aside, picking Tibarn or Naesala for the final chapter is probably the best choice, if you can get them the few levels they need to hit level 20. A few points in a few stats can make them even more absurd in FE10, and unlike Giffca they aren't immediately outshone by a unit who joins with them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

The only characters I'd recommend not giving stat transfers are Ena, Nasir, Bastian, Lucia, and Geoffrey, due to their late join times in FE10.

And Jill is probably one of the best choices, since the Dawn Brigade needs all the help it can get. Zihark too.

As an aside, picking Tibarn or Naesala for the final chapter is probably the best choice, if you can get them the few levels they need to hit level 20. A few points in a few stats can make them even more absurd in FE10, and unlike Giffca they aren't immediately outshone by a unit who joins with them.

Giffca isn't really outclassed by Caineghis. At base, they each have different uses. Caineghis can ORKO the 4-E-1 Generals while Giffca can ORKO the boss of 4-E-4 with White Tide support. With some BEXP, Giffca has a better chance to hit max Strength and Speed to ORKO Auras that aren't on +Def terrain in 4-E-5 with Blood Tide. Lack of Formshift really only matters in 4-E-5, since he can't attack on turn one without getting refreshed by Rafiel. Of course, there's no reason not to bring both since they're both better than pretty much all Beorc and are better better than a few Royals too.

Giffca also comes in with a free Strength transfer if you picked him in PoR. The other two have to gain a few levels in Final, which can be difficult since they're Laguz and you can't give them BEXP.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

It only counts capped stats at -/20. If you cap stats without reaching level 20 or reach level 20 without capping stats you won't get any stat bonuses. Bond Supports always transfer, however.

I would definitely recommend not focusing on a transfer for Sothe. He doesn't gain a ton out of it (at best some defense, resistance and strength, none of which really effect how useful he is) and his stats transfer directly even if they are lower than his RD bases. His averages are pretty close to his RD bases but if he gets screwed in anything it can be a problem.

Averages don't really matter if you're doing a transfer run though, because chances are you'll be abusing bonus EXP at the base to get capped stats on the people you want to transfer.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Transferring Geoff really helps with hard runs of part 2 and that part 3 chapter too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wind God Sety posted:

Averages don't really matter if you're doing a transfer run though, because chances are you'll be abusing bonus EXP at the base to get capped stats on the people you want to transfer.
Well yeah, but by that logic transferring stats for Sothe, Jill, Zihark, Taureneo, and Ilyana doesn't matter because you can just grind them up to bexp-abusable levels on a Nailah-made statue.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Dr Pepper posted:

Huh. Does it have to be 20/20, or just 20 in the promoted class?

As for Sothe... it's a bit late for him. I'm currently in chapter 18, and he's - let me check... oh yeah, still level 1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Huh. Does it have to be 20/20, or just 20 in the promoted class?
20 in the promoted class, but with how promotion works in Path of Radiance there's no real reason for everybody *not* to be promoted at level 20. There's a couple of characters you might wanna promote early, but everyone else is probably better off waiting for the auto-promotion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought Sothe couldn't promote in FE9, is there an exception in place for him?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought Sothe couldn't promote in FE9, is there an exception in place for him?

Dr Pepper posted:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's what I get for skimming to the end.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

20 in the promoted class, but with how promotion works in Path of Radiance there's no real reason for everybody *not* to be promoted at level 20. There's a couple of characters you might wanna promote early, but everyone else is probably better off waiting for the auto-promotion.
Since I've only found two Master Seals so far, that issue is moot (one went on Soren at level 18 because he already capped 4 stats, one was used to boost someone from level 20 to level 1). (Does level 20 have any variable stat gains beyond the once you get at promotion, or is it all fixed promotion numbers?)

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Also, the stat caps probably boost Rolf from a unit who is ridiculous with a modicum of effort to a unit who is almost instantly ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

He's still just a worst Shinon, and do you really want two Snipers when you have so many other good units with the Greil Mercenaries?