Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like that poster is the result of someone making a lot of creative posters that showcase the story and then some exec came in and said, "I want a movie poster for Noah that's indistinguishable from every single other action film poster!"

I think whats happening with this movie is that its so batshit insane that they need to hide a lot of the story behind badass images of Russell Crowe's beard. Seriously, from what I'm reading about it there is going to be a shitstorm when it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
It's seems strange that they're marketing it this way to me.
It's an Aranofsky film. The people that really want to see it are going to be turned away or at least confused by these posters. I love Aranofsky movies, but his name wasn't on that movie, the poster would make me instantly lose interest in it.

I feel like the people that WOULD want to see the movie that poster is selling, are going to be very unhappy with the experience they get. Are they trying to prank people?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

schwenz posted:

I feel like the people that WOULD want to see the movie that poster is selling, are going to be very unhappy with the experience they get. Are they trying to prank people?

I'm pretty sure they're operating on a "don't like it? Walk out, we still have all your loving money" principle.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Basebf555 posted:

I think whats happening with this movie is that its so batshit insane that they need to hide a lot of the story behind badass images of Russell Crowe's beard. Seriously, from what I'm reading about it there is going to be a shitstorm when it's released.

Pretty much. And uhhhh I'm totally down with badass Russell Crowe. That guy gets a free pass from me for almost everything he does. Might not be fair but it's like him and Sam Rockwell can do no wrong in my eyes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

schwenz posted:

It's seems strange that they're marketing it this way to me.
It's an Aranofsky film. The people that really want to see it are going to be turned away or at least confused by these posters. I love Aranofsky movies, but his name wasn't on that movie, the poster would make me instantly lose interest in it.

Fans of Aranofsky know it's his film and will see it regardless. You don't need to market to them.

The posters draw in a separate demographic.

The controversy will pull in another.

It's a great system.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Pingiivi posted:

This came to mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slim Killington posted:

A Redditor's Parisian getaway. :v:
Seriously who named this movie

The French do actually say "le weekend".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

7 new character posters for Seth MacFarlane’s A Million Ways to Die in the West. with MacFarlane, Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, and Neil Patrick Harris.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Neeson looks like a total badass like always.

Theron gets better with age.

If you told me that wasn't Seth McFarlene but Peter Brady I would believe you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Oh how I wish this was from a different movie altogether.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I find the text on those posters to be annoyingly unfunny. Is the Seyfried one even a joke?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

As a general rule of thumb, I've found movies where the poster has something like "from the guy who brought you _______" tends to be utter dogshit.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wendell posted:

I find the text on those posters to be annoyingly unfunny. Is the Seyfried one even a joke?

When one thinks of the term "Gold Digger" in the context of the old west, one might think of a prospector rather than the modern usage of gold digger.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

A film starring Seth MacFarlane and a bunch of people who could really do better.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

When one thinks of the term "Gold Digger" in the context of the old west, one might think of a prospector rather than the modern usage of gold digger.

Oh yeah! Okay, that's a good joke then. Now the McFarlane one?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Is there a second meaning to smoking gun? I mean, "this character gets caught doing something" isn't even a joke like the others.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

Is there a second meaning to smoking gun? I mean, "this character gets caught doing something" isn't even a joke like the others.

"Smoking" can mean "smoking hot". "Guns" can also mean "tits".

:colbert:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ThatPazuzu posted:

No, it's like she's got smokin' guns, like she's got really nice... arms? Or her boobs are Billy and Bart Gunn? Or something?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel like I've fallen into an old webcomics thread where people don't understand The Perry Bible Fellowship.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Young Freud posted:

"Smoking" can mean "smoking hot". "Guns" can also mean "tits".

:colbert:

Oh so 100% of the female characters reduced to their appearance/sexual behavior on these posters and not just 2/3rds? I had such hopes

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bad (presumably) fan-made poster, ahoy!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Umm.... this does not look good.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Ted and the marketing for that was terrible, I totally have faith that someone who loves golden-age Hollywood as much Macfarlane can do a good comedy western.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Oh so 100% of the female characters reduced to their appearance/sexual behavior on these posters and not just 2/3rds? I had such hopes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtzxxpMYUMQ&t=12s

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CaptainHollywood posted:

That is horrifying.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CaptainHollywood posted:

Holy gently caress.

I do not want to grab a pizza with these guys.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Those are some pizza eatin' lips if I've ever seen 'em.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CaptainHollywood posted:

It looks great. :yum:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

CaptainHollywood posted:

Is that really how you hold a sai, or is Raphael giving us the metaphorical finger?

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Auuughhhh those lips are horrifying!!!

Yuppie Scum
Nov 28, 2003

Fortune and glory, kids. Fortune and glory.

Noxville posted:

Is that really how you hold a sai, or is Raphael giving us the metaphorical finger?

Its how you hold it when you want to get your fingers broken/sliced open. Or are a Ninja Turtle.
Also, does Raph have a do-rag? And Donatello is steampunk?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Yuppie Scum posted:

Its how you hold it when you want to get your fingers broken/sliced open. Or are a Ninja Turtle.
Also, does Raph have a do-rag? And Donatello is steampunk?
Plus Raphael's shoulder is the size of his head.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

7 new character posters for Seth MacFarlane’s A Million Ways to Die in the West. with MacFarlane, Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, Giovanni Ribisi, Sarah Silverman, and Neil Patrick Harris.

I can't say I'm much of a MacFarlane fan, but I gotta be honest: my interest has been piqued. That's a hell of a loving cast he put together.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can't say I'm much of a MacFarlane fan, but I gotta be honest: my interest has been piqued. That's a hell of a loving cast he put together.

With the exception of Seth MacFarlane.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Noxville posted:

With the exception of Seth MacFarlane.

I remain undecided on him as an actor. I mean, I've never seen him in anything but a voiceover performance, which he's not terrible at. I remember liking him in Hellboy II.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can't wait for this to come out. 21 Jump Street was a surprise hit with me and one of the funniest movies I've seen in theaters in years, so I hope this one can reach that same level. I think most of the main cast from the first one is returning for this one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Can't wait for this to come out. 21 Jump Street was a surprise hit with me and one of the funniest movies I've seen in theaters in years, so I hope this one can reach that same level.

Has any comedy sequel besides Waynes World 2 ever done this?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That Ninja Turtles abomination is a fake, right? That can't be real, can it?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Seriously.

Still very pumped for this movie, though.

edit: correction, five nominees and two winners, I forgot Jackman got nominated for Les Miserables.

Paquin won too. She isn't in the movie, but she is in that image.

To recap: Anna Paquin (1993), Halle Berry (2001), and Jennifer Lawrence (2012) are Oscar winners. Ian McKellen (1998/2001), Ellen Page (2007), Hugh Jackman (2013), and Michael Fassbender (2014) are nominees.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Evil Dead 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well I thought Anchorman 2 was a much better movie than the first, but I think I'm in the minority there.

It's got the same directors/writers that 21 did, a lot of the same cast members are returning, and the trailer made it look pretty hilarious, so it's promising so far. I just hope it delivers.