Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Great episode, great deathmatch :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dungtongue
Jan 8, 2014

Maduo posted:

I really am afraid Yohwan is gonna bungle his way into winning this whole thing. He hasn't had much chance to show it yet, but I'd bet he has the same deathmatch skills Jinho showed with obviously none of the other strengths.

As a side note, are there any other popular retired progamers that could step into season 3? Tossgirl maybe? Her, Jinho and Yohwan are the only ones I can remember from my blurry days of watching gom.tv at 5 in the morning.

They could get Guillaume Patry, the first OSL winner. He's a better Korean speaker than Jinho.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
I kind of dislike how all the season 1 players basically all got together and conspired to make sangmin win. I mean, don't get me wrong I love Sangmin, but I feel he's just been served the easiest and best hands all season long.

I'm glad Mr. Magoo is still in the show though. :3: I hope he bumbles to a season win.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I really think that game needed more 'carnivores'? Junghyun and Sangmin were the only ones, Sangmin takes out Junghyun in round one and it's pretty much over. Yeah, the President and his son the Prince needed more firings but they couldn't make any themselves.

I loved seeing that dude who Jinho eliminated in the first ep get wise to the betrayal coming and take off. They were all planning their 'all joint winners, except you' strategy. Not so fast. Redemption!

Okay death match, it might have been a bit too simple, too much a roll of the dice. Oh well, it was great seeing a bunch of people I liked watching for a change this week!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fast Luck posted:

Okay death match, it might have been a bit too simple, too much a roll of the dice. Oh well, it was great seeing a bunch of people I liked watching for a change this week!

I thought the deathmatch was great, and I instantly had 2 or 3 strategies in mind when they went over the concept.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

But I think it's often the simple games that lead to the most interesting strategies. For example, if Jinho played that deathmatch, I have no doubt he could crush anyone by inferring exactly which tiles the opponent had left

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Great ep, seeing Sunggyu call the female dealer 'nuna' was as glorious as anticipated. Loved his emotional reunion with Sangmin and laughed so hard when they cut to the earlier clip and showed Sangmin hiding behind the door. Also great: Sangmin's "No workplace romances" and Kyungran's complicated scheming.

Totally random thing that made me laugh: there's a license plate on the wall of the garage that says "New Jersey: The Sunshine State".

GraPar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 5, 2014

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Great mainmatch - If you keep in mind that its a episode 1 or 2 setup where they tried to make as much people as possible winners, the strategy needed Sangmin and it was not they knew him from season 1.

It will be interesting to see how the Immortality thing works with so few people, because if it doesn't work, Sangmin should have suicided himself into picking the perfect deathmatch he wanted. Because he did not show any signs that this is his plan, I believe that the immortallity overrides the tokens, just like it would have if everyone were a shared winner today, which was impossible but explained in the episode nonetheless.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRxcQ17VCo

Junghyun :allears: Unquestionably the best new season 2 player.

GaussianCopula posted:

if everyone were a shared winner today, which was impossible but explained in the episode nonetheless.

It would have been possible if the picked roles were just right for all the players to win and all the guests to lose. Longshot, but you have to think of everything as a producer.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow what a great episode! I loved Songgyu + Sangmin reunion. Also Songgyu calling the dealer nuna was crazy good, he won so he better treat her nice! But yeah that main match was a lot of fun to watch. The season 1 people just straight up schooled everyone. Also Yohwan is so loving dumb though. I'm really disappointed in that guy seriously, this is like the 3rd straight episode his strategy completely falls apart. I bet its gonna go down to Jiwon vs Yohwan in the next episode for sure. Junghyun has also come a long way man, holy poo poo. I didn't think he would last this long at all. I'm so sad at the outcome of the deathmatch though since I really liked Yooyoung (also now there are no more girls on the show which is kinda weird). Good deathmatch though and Junghyun has a solid mental fortitude. I would've cracked early on probably. Honestly I wish Yohwan was eliminated and we kept Yooyoung, because he has been useless this entire season. At least Jiwon has done things you know. BRING ON SUPER JUNIOR!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

GraPar posted:

there's a license plate on the wall of the garage that says "New Jersey: The Sunshine State".

How does such a thing even exist?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

JakeP posted:

I would guess Asian countries have the western equivalent of a dodgy place which sells Asian kitsch nonsense with indecipherable nonsense emblazoned on them.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

JakeP posted:

The whole set is from some bizarro world like all the fake books in the season 1 library. Some titles:

-The Dharma Bums
-KITCHEN UTENSILS
-Nude Design
-Michael Crichton (the title, not the writer)
-Ad Flash
-The Annals Of America, written by Aliphatic Polyether

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Found it online, but no information (the presence of Marilyn Monroe is just a third totally bizarre thing). And we're not even getting into the decorations in other rooms, probably most notably an Obama Hope poster and a newspaper front page about John Lennon's murder.

More relevantly: It is so funny to me how hard Sangmin tries to win every single game, even the last few weeks when he hasn't really had to. Would definitely be more than a worthy winner.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Also Songgyu calling the dealer nuna was crazy good, he won so he better treat her nice!

Uncut scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE76fa4yDDE

So good.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hello.

I am one of you.

This show you guys.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

NaDa and JulyZerg would be good choices.

Edit - or loving firebathero.
Nada was awful as Jinho's guest in season 1. Flash or Bisu are sufficiently famous.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mob posted:

Hello.

I am one of you.

This show you guys.

Welcome friend. Welcome to the best show ever made.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive been having fun looking up vids of Young Sangmin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydf7Udb77jw

:stare: at the short haired dancer.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Mob posted:

Hello.

I am one of you.

This show you guys.

It's seriously so good. It's irritating we'll never get anything close to this in America.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Air Julio posted:

It's seriously so good. It's irritating we'll never get anything close to this in America.

The funny thing is that we could get an English version, because it seems like the UK has a "broadcaster culture" similar to Korea, with a bunch of B/C-list celebrities who are quite smart and jovial with one another. Stephen Fry, David Mitchell and Bill Bailey would be awesome contestants, for example.

Someone should tweet Stephen Fry (does he have a twitter?) about this show. It seems like something he'd get behind.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shakugan posted:

The funny thing is that we could get an English version, because it seems like the UK has a "broadcaster culture" similar to Korea, with a bunch of B/C-list celebrities who are quite smart and jovial with one another. Stephen Fry, David Mitchell and Bill Bailey would be awesome contestants, for example.

Someone should tweet Stephen Fry (does he have a twitter?) about this show. It seems like something he'd get behind.

Now I really want to see Charlie Brooker on this. Thanks, you jerk t:mad:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I just want to see Phil Kheogan and Jeff Probst in this show in a death match against each other.

I still think Phil would win with the eyebrow trick.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Shakugan posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd say give me:
Stephen Fry
David Mitchell
Brian Cox
Richard Ayoade
Victoria Coren
Gabby Logan
Charlie Brooker
Sue Perkins
Ken Livingstone
Claudia Winkleman
Shappi Khorsandi
Someone like Sean Locke or Jimmy Carr to fill the acerbic mockery slot
A young entertainer like Sungkyu or Jiwon to surprise everyone by getting into the final 4.

Someone actually from the UK could probably put together a more diverse list.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I can't decide if James May would be secretly brilliant or a Junghyun at this.

Maduo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 7, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Jeremy Clarkeson would be like the douchebag 'comedian' from season 1.
Ricky gervais.
I'd say Karl Pilkington... but no. He'd be awful.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Chainsawdomy posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd say give me:
Stephen Fry
David Mitchell
Brian Cox
Richard Ayoade
Victoria Coren
Gabby Logan
Charlie Brooker
Sue Perkins
Ken Livingstone
Claudia Winkleman
Shappi Khorsandi
Someone like Sean Locke or Jimmy Carr to fill the acerbic mockery slot
A young entertainer like Sungkyu or Jiwon to surprise everyone by getting into the final 4.

Someone actually from the UK could probably put together a more diverse list.

Dara O'Briain (Irish comedian with maths and theoretical physics degree)
Derren Brown (mentalist/con artist/actual wizard)
Kevin Ashman (from Eggheads and 4 time world quiz champion)

I'd like to see Derren Brown do it the most. He'd be a tricky bastard. He's probably the inspiration for the TV show The Mentalist cause he wears 3 piece suits too.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 7, 2014

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Solid list: in the interest of following the breakdown of the Korean casts, I'd probably throw in a newsreader/journalist - ideally Jeremy Paxman, obviously - and maybe a sportsperson, probably most obviously Clarke Carlise. Creating perfect lineups for this show that will never happen is great fun but almost too depressing. It would be awesome if someone could just get the right person to see an episode though.

I assume everyone in this thread checks out everything the subber posts on their Twitter anyway, but this super short clip of Jinho on a show called I Live Alone amused me greatly

GraPar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 7, 2014

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

redreader posted:

Jeremy Clarkeson would be like the douchebag 'comedian' from season 1.

I love Jeremy Clarkson, but he would be the Mathematician from the first episode of season 2 (minus the IQ part): Oh, I'm the Lion? Hey guys, I've already won! Bitches, come be in my alliance where I guarantee victory and I will be totally cocky because I'm invincible! Oh wait, I lost, how did that happen?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Elysium posted:

I love Jeremy Clarkson, but he would be the Mathematician from the first episode of season 2 (minus the IQ part): Oh, I'm the Lion? Hey guys, I've already won! Bitches, come be in my alliance where I guarantee victory and I will be totally cocky because I'm invincible! Oh wait, I lost, how did that happen?

Nah, Clarkson is really charismatic and knows how to make fun of himself. He'd probably be most like Hongchul, he's loud and confident and takes nothing seriously.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Put in Carol Vorderman/Rachel Riley too. And Margaret from the Apprentice :allears:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

...but all those UK panel shows are staged and pre-scripted to death. You really think those dowdy folk can think on their feet?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

MoPZiG posted:

...but all those UK panel shows are staged and pre-scripted to death. You really think those dowdy folk can think on their feet?

Well that's why I tried to pick people who've exhibited valuable skills in the outside world while still being entertaining on TV. Brian Cox, for instance, works on the collider at CERN, and Victoria Coren was a professional poker player. Ken Livingstone was mayor of London. Besides, the actual Genius selected plenty of people who's genius was 'being charismatic'.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MoPZiG posted:

There are comedians in that list who have showed great ability to ad-lib in their stand up. It's pretty much Jimmy Carr's best skill.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Rarity posted:

There are comedians in that list who have showed great ability to ad-lib in their stand up. It's pretty much Jimmy Carr's best skill.

That and his infectious yet annoying laugh. How can I love and hate it simultaneously?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Finished Season 1 on Youtube last night. That was so awesome.

I'm not sure I can watch Season 2 since it only seems to be on DailyMotion, and ads every four minutes are annoying the hell out of me. I can't even finish the first episode.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

Finished Season 1 on Youtube last night. That was so awesome.

I'm not sure I can watch Season 2 since it only seems to be on DailyMotion, and ads every four minutes are annoying the hell out of me. I can't even finish the first episode.

If the ads are that bad, just install Adblock. Although even without adblock on, I've never noticed that many ads in a Dailymotion video before (There are plenty on the page itself, however).

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
ads every 4 minutes? I don't see any in the video. Just fullscreen it and you'll never see an ad.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
For some reason the video stops every 5 minutes like it's going to show an ad, but doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

It's not popups. Ads that stop the video. Commercials, essentially. It's mega annoying.