Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
someone build a base on the moon, it's a good idea

you could run a lot of mining rigs on the moon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

we need to start shooting people into space willy nilly because lord knows there are people willing to volunteer despite the incredible danger

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

somebody should convince the military to build a giant railgun that launches marines sealed up in shock-absorbent sabot-like pods for delivery anywhere on the globe so that we can use that technology to shoot crap into space (because the only way we'll get the money to do that is with an insane military idea)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i just want to get off this terrible planet

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

duTrieux. posted:

somebody should convince the military to build a giant railgun that launches marines sealed up in shock-absorbent sabot-like pods for delivery anywhere on the globe so that we can use that technology to shoot crap into space (because the only way we'll get the money to do that is with an insane military idea)

this but use coiners for the monkey test phase

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

FCKGW posted:

maybe if i have some time tonight but like beospos said i'd need a new generator to do multiple on one page

something like
code:
function set_random_phrase() {
  for (var i=1;i<=20;i++)
  {
    document.getElementById('biz' + i).innerHTML = make_random_phrase() + ' ... but with Bitcoins!';
  }
}
would load divs biz1 through biz20 with random phrases, should work, maybe.

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

stoutfish posted:

did that whole "make going to mars a dutch reality show" concept ever go anywhere

because i could get in on some space frontier livin'

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yyyyeeeeesssssssssss :worship:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

stoutfish posted:

i just want to get off

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A bulk honeybee for parents… but with Bitcoins!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

How about a hemp-based fedora operating system ... but with Bitcoins!

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

stoutfish posted:

in space no one can hear you poo poo post.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

stoutfish posted:

i just want to make all the other planets as terrible as this one

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
"Think Different About Bitcoin" - Contest to re-edit Apple's iconic ad (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 10 hours ago* by JasonBored

Hey guys. By now everyone has seen/heard about Apple's decision to remove the most popular (and last remaining) bitcoin wallet from their App Store. The reason they gave for removing the Blockchain app was a vague "unresolved issue".

Corporations can do whatever they want, but I know I'm not alone when I say that this is not the Apple of old. This is not the Apple where Steve Jobs challenged people to "think different". This is Applesoft!

Anyways, I'm holding a contest. You guys know me as the guy who leaked the emails with top Google execs about their plans to integrate bitcoin. Today my mission is different, and more profound.

I want us, the bitcoin community, to challenge Apple to "Think Different" - about bitcoin.

Here's how it works:

1) The iconic "heres to the misfits.." ad by Apple from 1984 (re-voiced over by Steve Jobs. Please watch it

2) Re-edit the video (with either the voiceover with a new montage, or the voiceover with the old montage + new video, whatever) with a bitcoin related theme

3) We on Reddit vote for the best video. It has to be inspiring, it has to be passionate, and has to obviously maintain a bitcoin centric theme

4) The winner gets a prize in BTC from me + others who would like to donate + others I have already spoken to.

5) We make it our mission to make sure Apple sees it and reacts. Whether it means emailing every single top Apple executive/Tim Cook, or sending it to the press, Apple will see it. I got Google to react, one way or the other I will get Apple to re-act in some fashion.

Something might come out of this, something might not. But the best video gets a prize in BTC, and Apple get's reminded that their actions in 2014 are a world apart from their vision in 1984. It doesn't matter if you're an Apple user or an Android user. Apple must rethink their anti-bitcoin position for the sake of technology.

If you're an iPhone user who's affected by their stance, this should make sense. If you're an Android user, you already know Apple's on the wrong side of history with this issue.

"Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." ~ Steve Jobs

Let's do this. Apple’s “Think Different” ad

Update1:

1) People are asking for a time frame, I would say let's give it till the end of this weekend to post a video here.

2) The amount of the prize.. ah.. everyones favorite part. Well I can't give an exact sum since I don't know if anyone else would like to contribute, but I can say definitely a few hundred dollars (in USD) worth of BTC at least. /u/niccary (Nicolas Cary, the CEO of Blockchain.info) has pledged to donate half a bitcoin! And /u/Peter__R just pledged to donate $40 Also, /u/Isokivi (the owner of BtcTrinkets.com) has pledged anything from their current selection + free shipping to the winner)!

3) Once all the videos are submitted here I'll either make a post individually which each link or start a new thread all together for the "voting" - and the best one will soon show itself. Reddit has this little known thing called up-voting (which you are technically not allowed to ask for, so I'm not), which I feel people will use as their "vote" per say.

Lets remember the goal here. We want to challenge Apple to do what they challenged the world to do 30 years ago. Apple asked everyone to "think different" and championed disruption, innovation, rebellious spirit. I can't think of anything more disruptive, innovative, and disruptive then bitcoin. Apple is not the enemy, yet their behavior shows they've forgotten the original "Jobs Mantra". With enough exposure - and I will be sure contact all my friends in the press who carried the Google/Bitcoin story and a kick-rear end video that speaks to how important BTC, we will get Apple's attention.

Update 2:

I've setup a Blockchain.info wallet (duh!) where people can send the funds for contest donation. This way, everyone can see on the blockchain that the winner did receive his/her funds.

Here it is: 1MUjMagjPKb9oHn3jsKv1KWPtApHF6ESBG

If there is no winner, then everyone who donated will receive their funds back exactly in the amount they sent.

A) Please don't BTC tip me: If you want to donate to the contest send it to that address so that everyone can see!

B) Don't worry about me "running off" with the funds. Rest assured, I would never do such a thing, and after the Google/Bitcoin debacle my personal details are plastered allover the Internet (Forbes, Vice etc).. so I would say barring my sudden death, every satoshi donated for the contest will go the winner

Update 3

Donations are coming in. Right now we're at .66571091 BTC. That's roughly $508.75 already. More is trickling in and I'm getting messaged on the Bitcointalk Forum and IRC as well from people wanting to either donate or make a video for the contest. Remember, the video is the point, the money is the prize! The best video will get every satoshi from that contest address and I will use all my contacts, resources, and efforts (as will the entire community I hope) to push the video everywhere - especially at Apple.

Contest Prize Wallet

We are up to 1.30889475 BTC donated so far for the prize. I will periodically update this but you can click on the link above to see the Contest Prize address as well

formatting helpreddiquetteyou are doing that too much. try again in 1 minute.

[–]supermari0 48 points 8 hours ago

"Here's to the greedy ones. The conformists. The fatcats. The soft-fascists. The chisels forcing all the pegs to fit in the square holes. The ones who will make you see things their way. They make the rules. And they protect the status quo. You can support them, cooperate with them, worship or fanboy around them. About the only thing you can't do is compete with them. Because they run things. They keep the human race in line." – Apple, Inc. (translated into plain English from sloganese)

[–]zden 9 points 6 hours ago

to-do:

1) girl running with bitcoin logo on her white t-shirt

2) all those slaves with apple logo on their top face [mark of the beast ;)]

3) steve talking on the screen

4) voice changed to steve calling for caged os, hacked by nsa plus the fact that only apple knows what is best for you, because you are too weak and unmature to prevent harm from yourself

5) done? (or end up with some sort of pple logo descrution or turning itself from shiny logo to logo made of sh1t)

unfortunatelly I don't have time for this. it whould need a decent number of hours to accomplish in decent quality. It must be quality. So pple will see someone took the effort!

[–]TekHunterUk 2 points 36 minutes ago

Here is mine:

First of I would like to say that I'm sixteen years old and like many I have been inspired by your company. I have taken the time to tell you my personal opinion on apples recent actions.

Here is the problem, something at Apple has changed. After Steve Jobs passed away , the ethics and views of the company seemed to change. Don't get me wrong Tim Cook is a great CEO but the recent action Apple has taken worries me a lot.

In the History of Apple, there have been times of prosperity and trouble. Make this a period or prosperity, accept Bitcoin. Embrace the technology. Accepting Bitcoin could be the greatest PR stunt in the History of the company.

Remember, Think Differently. What happened to the Iconic Think Different AD? Remember "Those who are crazy enough to think they will change the world are the ones who do" Satoshi (Creator of Bitcoin) is the crazy one. The community behind Bitcoin is strong and will support those who embrace the technology.

Bitcoin has changed my life and inspired me to do many great things. My parents aren't millionaires they are your average middle class people. They always told me that I have to be independent and Bitcoin helped me with that. It taught me the basics of economics and it inspired me to do the subject at A Level. The point that I'm trying to make here is that just like Apple, Bitcoin changes lives.

Take one look at the community and you will realize that everyone is disappointed with your reaction to Bitcoin. The general consensus is that Apple needs to change.

Thanks for your time,

(NAME)

P.S: Remember Think Different

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City
the obvious troll option is the 1985 'lemmings' ad with a butt drawn on everyone's mask

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
that would have to end with the last guy putting his mask back on and walking over the edge though

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

bucketmouse posted:

that would have to end with the last guy putting his mask back on and walking over the edge though

no he reveals himself to be moose milkie, shitposting the whole time

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i want to see every goddamn one of the videos they make

they will all be amazing

edit:
"crazy people are sometimes right. therefore, all crazy people are right"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I will debate anyone about Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by Petersurda

I'm getting fed up with all the nonsense I hear from some very loud opponents of Bitcoin. I've been trying to engage some of them in a productive debate for a long time, but in some cases they just avoid confronting the arguments.

I had an idea some time ago to offer anyone (in partcular opponents/skeptics of Bitcoin, of course) to debate about Bitcoin. I am not perfect or all knowledgeable, but I think I have a good grasp on logic, and can point out to fallacies in arguments. I have been researching Bitcoin for about 3 years and now I do economic research and and consulting about it full time. I have been also writing comments all over the internet about it, wrote a master's thesis about it, have a blog. I have also been interviewed several times for magazines, radio and there are a bunch of interviews of me and lectures/conference presentations by me on youtube.

I imagine the debate would take place on google hangouts and maybe if there could be a moderator that would be great. I'm quite flexible with my time or the exact form of the debate. I don't want any money for it, and I'm even willing to finance the moderator/opponent from the donations I get for my blog (I don't think the donators would object to such a use of donations).

I'm announcing it here rather than on my blog, becuase I thought I might reach a broader audience and a better chance of finding a moderator.

Feel free to give me feedback.

[–]btchombre 6 points 1 hour ago

I used to argue a lot with people about Bitcoin, but now I just sit back and watch the revolution unfold before my eyes. I find it funny that so many people proudly proclaim that Bitcoin is doomed to fail while we all sit here and watch it succeed in real time.

[–]addict4bitcoin 4 points 46 minutes ago

True. Anyone who wants to know can find out all the info now. Most of the opposition comes from lack of knowledge or "feelings".

[–]CeasefireX 1 point 11 minutes ago

Bitcoin technology stands on it's own. I had several people tell me "who in their right mind would buy Bitcoin!!?!?!" when it was at $75. "Gold is where you need to invest, not bitcoin." ...

Now they are coming to me asking for where they can get more info ... i send them to the usual sites and the Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast .. they are converting one by one. Gonna take time is all.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Crust First posted:

something like
code:
function set_random_phrase() {
  for (var i=1;i<=20;i++)
  {
    document.getElementById('biz' + i).innerHTML = make_random_phrase() + ' ... but with Bitcoins!';
  }
}
would load divs biz1 through biz20 with random phrases, should work, maybe.

this rules, i need to match up the css a little better but it works :D

...!
Oct 5, 2003

While we were all complaining about Apple removing Blockchain's app. Google quietly added some features to Gmail. (imgur.com)

submitted 5 hours ago by mastermind1228

[–]Pugwash79 10 points 5 hours ago

All they need to do now is extend this feature so you can pay with bitcoin! I can't help but think that Apple have really played into the hands of Google.

[–]Pugwash79 1 point 54 minutes ago*

I agree, there's definitely a business case for Google here! Unlike Apple, Google tend to pursue market share at a cost while they figure out how to monetize later. Google have spun out so many innovative projects over the years, but what have Apple done? basically taken the iPhone 4, stretched it and added a fingerprint sensor!!?

[–]canad1andev3loper 2 points 2 hours ago

It looks like this sends money between bank accounts for very low fees. How is this not bad for Bitcoin?

[–]GrixM 4 points 2 hours ago

Because google wallet is not available to 95% of the world. It is not at all comparable to bitcoin which is borderless.

[–]buddhathrower 3 points 2 hours ago

offering a dying system in a convenient way to the masses might give them a short term pay off. but it's still a dying system. we know what will prevail... p2p.

[–]crimdelacrim 17 points 4 hours ago

It's not pseudo anonymous. It's not decentralized. It will parallel an inflating fiat dollar. If somebody hacks your gmail I'm assuming they just also hacked your google wallet. Your google wallet is an online only option. I could go on.

[–]GrixM 2 points 2 hours ago

Because google wallet is not available to 95% of the world. It is not at all comparable to bitcoin which is borderless.

[–]gambit2727 1 point 1 hour ago

Is anyone not thinking that Google, Apple, and Amazon probably all want to get into the crypto space, and have the user base to do so?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

[–]BashCo 2 points 1 hour ago

I don't fully agree with the methodology which results in perfectly good devices being destroyed, but I have to say that it's generating a solid buzz on Twitter. I don't know how it will be perceived by the general population, but I suppose the more times they hear about Bitcoin the better.

And... just maybe... Apple will be shamed into doing the right thing.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

...! posted:

I will debate anyone about Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by Petersurda

I'm getting fed up with all the nonsense I hear from some very loud opponents of Bitcoin. I've been trying to engage some of them in a productive debate for a long time, but in some cases they just avoid confronting the arguments.

I had an idea some time ago to offer anyone (in partcular opponents/skeptics of Bitcoin, of course) to debate about Bitcoin. I am not perfect or all knowledgeable, but I think I have a good grasp on logic, and can point out to fallacies in arguments. I have been researching Bitcoin for about 3 years and now I do economic research and and consulting about it full time. I have been also writing comments all over the internet about it, wrote a master's thesis about it, have a blog. I have also been interviewed several times for magazines, radio and there are a bunch of interviews of me and lectures/conference presentations by me on youtube.

I imagine the debate would take place on google hangouts and maybe if there could be a moderator that would be great. I'm quite flexible with my time or the exact form of the debate. I don't want any money for it, and I'm even willing to finance the moderator/opponent from the donations I get for my blog (I don't think the donators would object to such a use of donations).

I'm announcing it here rather than on my blog, becuase I thought I might reach a broader audience and a better chance of finding a moderator.

Feel free to give me feedback.

[–]btchombre 6 points 1 hour ago

I used to argue a lot with people about Bitcoin, but now I just sit back and watch the revolution unfold before my eyes. I find it funny that so many people proudly proclaim that Bitcoin is doomed to fail while we all sit here and watch it succeed in real time.

[–]addict4bitcoin 4 points 46 minutes ago

True. Anyone who wants to know can find out all the info now. Most of the opposition comes from lack of knowledge or "feelings".

[–]CeasefireX 1 point 11 minutes ago

Bitcoin technology stands on it's own. I had several people tell me "who in their right mind would buy Bitcoin!!?!?!" when it was at $75. "Gold is where you need to invest, not bitcoin." ...

Now they are coming to me asking for where they can get more info ... i send them to the usual sites and the Let's Talk Bitcoin podcast .. they are converting one by one. Gonna take time is all.

please note that this guy has never approached us. he doesn't want a debate with actual critics

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

...! posted:

[–]BashCo 2 points 1 hour ago

I don't fully agree with the methodology which results in perfectly good devices being destroyed, but I have to say that it's generating a solid buzz on Twitter. I don't know how it will be perceived by the general population, but I suppose the more times they hear about Bitcoin the better.

And... just maybe... Apple will be shamed into doing the right thing.

i refuse to believe that isn't a balloon with an asian face on it

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
up Up UP!

http://coinsight.org/mtgox.html

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
im the vaguely hispanic person making the jaden smith face

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Don't smash your iphone (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by DR_McBUTTFUCK

Sell it for cheaper than anyone else is selling theirs. Part of the iphone's popularity is its resale value. Reducing the resale value is more damaging to Apple than reducing the supply of iphones.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

PSA: Apple's next shareholders' meeting is on February 28 (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 31 minutes ago by tinus42

So all you Bitcoin whales buy lots of Apple stock and let yourself be heard about Apple's decision to block Bitcoin apps three weeks from now.

"When is the next annual meeting of shareholders? The date for the next annual meeting of shareholders is February 28, 2014."

Source: http://investor.apple.com/faq.cfm

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Lurker since 2007, I feel compelled to speak up: Friends of the bitcoin community, let us have a civil discourse. I warn you that though you are justified and right in boycotting Apple, you are foolish and unreasoning in your support of Google. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 51 minutes ago by needtospeak2

I feel that both companies do us harm. Apple's walled garden infrastructure is absurd and drastically limits the possibilities of our mobile technology to benefit this world. For any grand idea you may propose, Apple's question is, "How can we make sure they cross our bridge, so we can take our toll?" But the answer is not to go to Google. They are a beast unfathomably more powerful than Apple. They are smarter than Apple. They are giving you want you want. Access to innovative technologies and they don't seem to be asking for much. But they are taking. They are taking so much data about us and our world and anyone watching the news in the last year knows that they are instrumental in spying on us. You can ignore it right now, because bitcoin seems full of promise and dreams and Google is helping facilitate that. But I think it is a dangerous bedfellow to lay with.

If bitcoin is really your prime motivation in mobile phone selection, perhaps the community should support the sub-par Mozilla cell phones. Even though the tech is a substandard product, it should be able to meet all the bitcoin needs.

Please I encourage you to debate or at least entertain this amongst yourselves.

I like the passion in this community, I appreciate the statement that the user who shot his phone was making, regardless of the environmental aspects. (It reminds me of Barbara Kingsolver's "Pigs in Heaven" when the old man shot his TV to show his commitment to his potential girlfriend that he would be an active partner in the relationship). Sometimes those displays of passion is what is needed to get each other excited.

But in my opinion, you are ditching AT&T to join Verizon.

You are eliminating Time Warner to partner with Comcast.

You are de-friending Scumbag Steve (Jobs) to go into unholy matrimony with Scumbag Stacy.

From Saruman right over to Sauron.

[–]needtospeak2[S] 2 points 11 minutes ago

I am glad you asked. I thought to include it in the body paragraph, but I felt it was already getting too long. I own an iphone. How hypocritical of me! After my first iphone purchase years ago, I saw what Apple was becoming and wished for their downfall. As android gained marketshare I championed them for a time, until I came to see them as a larger threat than Apple ever was. Recently I engaged in a (false binary) dilemma of choice between an Apple and an Android. I chose Apple again because I was more afraid of google at this point in time. But I am an human and prone to mistakes and lapses in judgment. Lets not make this too much about me, though criticism is fair.

[–]Market-Anarchist 3 points 18 minutes ago

I agree. I was using an Android, until I learned about free software and the snowden revelations. I now don't have any cell phone at all and I won't be getting one until there exists one that runs on 100% free software.

My desktop computer runs Debian GNU/Linux with zero nonfree software. If I had a laptop and wanted to use Bitcoin in public you can scan QR codes with your laptop's webcam. A little cumbersome, but definitely a small price to pay for freedom.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lol
:ninja:

I don't remember what I was thinking

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 7, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

Don't smash your iphone (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by DR_McBUTTFUCK

Sell it for cheaper than anyone else is selling theirs. Part of the iphone's popularity is its resale value. Reducing the resale value is more damaging to Apple than reducing the supply of iphones.

yes, apple really cares about maintaining a high resale value

that's why they're giving away the 4s for free with contract

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

I agree. I was using an Android, until I learned about free software and the snowden revelations. I now don't have any cell phone at all and I won't be getting one until there exists one that runs on 100% free software.

My desktop computer runs Debian GNU/Linux with zero nonfree software. If I had a laptop and wanted to use Bitcoin in public you can scan QR codes with your laptop's webcam. A little cumbersome, but definitely a small price to pay for freedom.

i seriously wonder how much infiltration the nsa has done w/r/t the open source and "free" movements

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

duTrieux. posted:

i seriously wonder how much infiltration the nsa has done w/r/t the open source and "free" movements

with all of the libtard politics thrown around in discussions, i'd say they go from 0 to :nsa: in about 3 seconds

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

duTrieux. posted:

wait a little while and we'll probably find out exactly how much

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

Heresiarch posted:

wait a little while and we'll probably find out exactly how much

well the details of the ulbricht case that we have kinda shows that they don't need to infiltrate, honestly

just wait for them to be dumbasses in normal ways and you get your conviction

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Had dinner with some other attorneys last night and we spent a good portion of it arguing (nicely) about bitcoins. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by BitcoinAttorney

I posted last week on here as an attorney who now accepts bitcoins. You were all wonderful and I really appreciate the support! (I remade my account with a more professional name, haha: my website )

Everyone at dinner last night (all attorneys) believed bitcoins are a non-currency criminal fad that while have me disbarred and in jail for accepting them. I highly disagree, was just shocked HOW strongly most felt against it...even though most knew nothing about it other than it's used for "criminal activity."

What's the game plan here? I know most on these forums are probably anti-lawyers, because as human beings most are, but we're a very important breed to have on your side. How should I/you go about winning my colleagues over? Think it will happen? Or it doesn't matter in most eyes?

[–]CalvinHouse 11 points 3 hours ago

Ask them which currency is used the most for illegal activity.

Then, when they go to pay for their dinner, say to them: "How dare you use those dollars, criminal. I bet they even have traces of cocaine on it."

;)

[–]ElHombreDelQueso 3 points 2 hours ago

What gets me is that these are people who should theoretically be reasonably smart enough to get a fairly tough college education and apply it in a challenging field, and here they are making completely, draw-droppingly unfounded claims like they just got off the phone with God.

Blows my mind.

[–]Essexal 4 points 2 hours ago

Been my life for months. Eventually you get over the anger at the sheer ignorance of others. Those that want to know, will ask. It's odd that you can be neck deep in this game and understand where this can go and others haven't even heard of it.

[–]sisterbliss 1 point 2 hours ago

Unfortunately I can understand their POV, the media narrative has been mostly related to illicit activity. Speaks volumes for the nature of modern day media. Anyhow, this is where it is important for the community to change the narrative, so educate them. Wouldn't you want them to do precisely that if roles were reversed?

I'd probably choose which one of them had the most sway over the others and chip away at him or her. Once one or two start falling away from the pack the rest will turn and leave too.

Tip him/her over reddit or twitter, buy a gift from a far off land for him/her you couldn't have done easily before, show them the Milk Road story with the kids as it's funny, use one of the media paywalls (e.g. Chicago Times) to show them how it can create a whole new income stream for media providers (microtransactions).

If all fails, tell them how it's giving your firm a competitive advantage and more profit in your pocket. Most lawyers I know love the pound signs!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Last ditch option for you die hard apple fans that are torn between apple & bitcoin. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by peilthetraveler

So like many of you that recently bought an iphone 5s, you are probably in a contract like me which makes it hard to get out of your iphone and into an android. I really love my iphone but this poo poo they are pulling has to stop. If they make me choose, I choose bitcoin. So I thought of one last option for us that do not want to give up our iphones and that will give apple a chance to redeem themselves. That option is Carl Icahn. For those of you that don't know, Carl Icahn is a corporate raider that has been trying to get Apple to buy back stock for months. He owns $3.6 billion of apple and he wants the share price to go up. Historically he has gotten the boards of many many companies to do what he wants. He is one of the best negotiators out there. If he knew that 100s of thousands of people are going to leave apple because of the whole bitcoin thing, he might do something to fix it. Carl hates losing money and best of all, he doesnt care about the future of companies, he cares about the present. And presently, apple is about to have a really bad 1st quarter in iphone/ipad sales if they dont change their stance on bitcoin. I say lets go and put replies all over his twitter account https://twitter.com/Carl_C_Icahn and let him know we are all going to stop buying apple products and make sure apple has the worst 1Q its had in decades if he doesnt do something.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
honestly i think the biggest surprise i got out of this was that bitcoin enthusiasts use apple products. they never seemed the type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

...! posted:

Don't worry about me "running off" with the funds. Rest assured, I would never do such a thing, and

• Locked thread