Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

Apple is abusing its monopoly, plain and simple.
:what:

alternatively

free market bipch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Some ideas on publicizing/confronting the Apple "debacle". (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago by browsing_in_jail

Did you see the post about an 11 year old doing her science project on bitcoin? That was using a macbook pro and the bitcoins were used to purchase an ipad air case. Now she and her family can't update and are pretty much cut off/hindered in using their apple products for bitcoin purchasing :(. Journalism opportunity ding ding ding! Link to pics: http://imgur.com/a/YTyle

I'd shy away from destroying apple products, reminds me too much of people pouring wine in the gutter when France didn't like us invading Iraq for some reason. It's too easy to ridicule, we can do better.

We still haven't heard officially from Apple on any explanation. Pushing the issue will obviously be our priority, so think of ideas or examples that exemplify why this is a bad decision on their part (see #1) and get it into the hands of journalists/bloggers. Being pissed off and destroying Apple products sounds awesome to me (I'm notorious for disliking them), but not enough. They need to be SHAMED for thinking of their bottom line above their customer base. I'd love to hear some ideas.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
man for some reason france really didn't like that iraq thing. french people am i right?! lol!

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
oboy

https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140207.html

Statement Regarding BTC Withdrawal Delays

Tokyo - JAPAN - February 07, 2014

Dear MtGox Customers,

During our efforts to resolve the issue being encountered by some bitcoin withdrawals it was determined that the increase in withdrawal traffic is hindering our efforts on a technical level. As to get a better look at the process the system needs to be in a static state.

In order for our team to resolve the withdrawal issue it is necessary to temporarily pause all withdrawal traffic to obtain a clear technical view of the current processes.

We apologize for the extremely short notice, but as of now all bitcoin withdrawals will be paused, and withdrawals in the queue will returned to your MtGox wallet and can be re-intiated once the issue is resolved. Customers can still use the trading platform as usual.

Our team will be working hard through the weekend and will provide an update on Monday, February 10, 2014 (JST).

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience, and ask for your continued patience and support while we work to resolve this issue.

Best regards,

The MtGox Team

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excellent.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Brain Aged posted:

oboy

https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140207.html

Statement Regarding BTC Withdrawal Delays

Tokyo - JAPAN - February 07, 2014

Dear MtGox Customers,

During our efforts to resolve the issue being encountered by some bitcoin withdrawals it was determined that the increase in withdrawal traffic is hindering our efforts on a technical level. As to get a better look at the process the system needs to be in a static state.

In order for our team to resolve the withdrawal issue it is necessary to temporarily pause all withdrawal traffic to obtain a clear technical view of the current processes.

We apologize for the extremely short notice, but as of now all bitcoin withdrawals will be paused, and withdrawals in the queue will returned to your MtGox wallet and can be re-intiated once the issue is resolved. Customers can still use the trading platform as usual.

Our team will be working hard through the weekend and will provide an update on Monday, February 10, 2014 (JST).

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience, and ask for your continued patience and support while we work to resolve this issue.

Best regards,

The MtGox Team

itshappening.gif

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

i doubt much will come of the mt. gox stuff. and even if gox does die, it's probably not the end of bitcoins

i sure hope it isn't because the bitcoiners get funnier every day

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
It's just like the time the tellers at my bank forgot how to give me money.

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

...! posted:

i doubt much will come of the mt. gox stuff. and even if gox does die, it's probably not the end of bitcoins

a real run on mt. gox that shut it down would be extremely funny.

how has this not happened in the minutes since they announced you literally can't get a payout of any kind from them.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
My friend has been trying to get the BTC sitting on Mt Gox that he initially dumped to their site with the idea that it would easy to withdraw. He requested a withdrawal a month ago and apparently his wallet on gox is empty, but he didn't receive anything. Mt Gox support is borderline worse than Virtex.

Also if anyone is curious my friend got money out of bitcoin, it took 4 months but on monday he was able to extract 6,000$ (after all the bullshit fees virtex uses it was apparently around ~5,500$). He requested the withdrawal late December. :negative:

Also we had a buttcoiner come out of his crypto-closet today, when he off handed mentioned how much money he made from bitcoins. I asked him how did he cash out, and apparently he hasn't gotten to that step, but everyone says its "easy".

:smithicide:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

motedek posted:

a real run on mt. gox that shut it down would be extremely funny.

how has this not happened in the minutes since they announced you literally can't get a payout of any kind from them.

hence the "extremely short notice"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

O-no, why is it dropping? ;) (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 56 minutes ago by mstevenson10009

It is dropping so as to let me buy more. Bitcoin knew it was costing me too much so I asked it to help me out and it said "ok". What a nice coin bitcoin is. I guess I will keep it and feed it USD and give it a nice new home for now. It did tell me a secret, it said "my price will go up in the future, so don't stand there like a fool, buy me now". Got to go now, little bitcoin is calling. Need to spend time with it as it is only 5 and one day it will grow and I will miss these days when I look back. Ahhh
(Had to make it its own post as I am so tired of this question)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FCKGW posted:

It is dropping so as to let me buy more. Bitcoin knew it was costing me too much so I asked it to help me out and it said "ok". What a nice coin bitcoin is. I guess I will keep it and feed it USD and give it a nice new home for now. It did tell me a secret, it said "my price will go up in the future, so don't stand there like a fool, buy me now". Got to go now, little bitcoin is calling. Need to spend time with it as it is only 5 and one day it will grow and I will miss these days when I look back. Ahhh

:stare:

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

hail satoshi

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

UberJumper posted:

My friend has been trying to get the BTC sitting on Mt Gox that he initially dumped to their site with the idea that it would easy to withdraw. He requested a withdrawal a month ago and apparently his wallet on gox is empty, but he didn't receive anything. Mt Gox support is borderline worse than Virtex.

Also if anyone is curious my friend got money out of bitcoin, it took 4 months but on monday he was able to extract 6,000$ (after all the bullshit fees virtex uses it was apparently around ~5,500$). He requested the withdrawal late December. :negative:

Also we had a buttcoiner come out of his crypto-closet today, when he off handed mentioned how much money he made from bitcoins. I asked him how did he cash out, and apparently he hasn't gotten to that step, but everyone says its "easy".

:smithicide:

hahahaha

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

FCKGW posted:

um

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

...! posted:

[–]volcomchk143[S] 1 point 3 hours ago

nope. but it wasnt earned bitcoin from selling. it was unused bitcoin, could have been used to purchase legal things... valid argument?
lol

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
Gox is basically in free fall right now.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
price keeps dumping. i forget if i read it here, but a prudent investor (lol) who thinks gox is going under will want fiat in a bankruptcy. i hope this drop illuminates how much the artificial gox price is the keystone of the collective delusion.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

motedek posted:

price keeps dumping. i forget if i read it here, but a prudent investor (lol) who thinks gox is going under will want fiat in a bankruptcy. i hope this drop illuminates how much the artificial gox price is the keystone of the collective delusion.
idk how bankruptcy law works in japan but can't they just claim that their hoard of buttcoins aren't worth anything in fiat

motedek
Oct 9, 2012
now i'm just confused thinking about it. among other reasons, i want them to blow up so we can find out what the hell goes on at that business.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
What a nice coin bitcoin is. :unsmigghh:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Dear MtGox Customers,

:suspense:

This isn't going to end well for coiners

edit:
lol the price is currently madly bouncing between $650 and $700 and fake buy walls keep appearing and disappearing because some
idiot is trying to prop up the price.

jre fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 7, 2014

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Brain Aged posted:

...as of now all bitcoin withdrawals will be paused, and withdrawals in the queue will returned to your MtGox wallet and can be re-intiated once the issue is resolved.

since magic the gathering online exchange was taking up to two years to process a withdrawal for money, does this mean that anyone who's been waiting to get their money for the last 6 months or so will have to redo their request and maybe go back to the end of the line? that is, if magic the gathering online exchange ever allows money withdrawals again?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
im seriously amazed that gox is still in business, considering the sheer criminal incompetence and stupidity that has pervaded every single thing associated with them

then again, to make money you only need to be smarter than your customers, and considering what people we are talking about here, well

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

...! posted:

doesn't matter

the great part is that now these morons have found likeminded morons they will just keep doing this same spiel over and over if it's not with bitcoin, then an altcoin and if not with an altcoin with an aircraft carrier bottle raft

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

...! posted:

google wallet is an online only option

google wallet is not available to 95% of the world. It is not at all comparable to bitcoin because
it's like buttcoin... but with actualmoney!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

...! posted:

But in my opinion, you are ditching AT&T to join Verizon.

You are eliminating Time Warner to partner with Comcast.
jesus christ america, what the gently caress

(free market bithc)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

This is too long for even me to cut/paste but it's good reading:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1x9gue/my_protest_at_mtgox_offices_5_to_7th_february/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

IDEA: Agreeing on Bitcoin price by calculating miners energy consumption vs hash rate +2% (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 52 seconds ago by vandeam

Just an idea i had, is it possible creating Bitcoin price based on calculating two or more of these states https://blockchain.info/stats which will give us fair bitcoin price based on how much energy the miners vs receiving 1 bitcoin and maybe adding 2% to it ?

just hoping to have better agreement on Bitcoin price and stability of it than this Supply/Demand that can be easily manipulated.

Don't kill me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I arrived at MtGox early, approximately 8am, and stood outside with a sign reading “MtGox, where has my money gone”. I got some curious looks, and a lot of questions from passersby about my protest.

Then at approximately 9.20 am, Mark Karpeles himself came along carrying a large, and very fancy coffee in his hand that could have passed as a dessert. I immediately confronted him and told him we needed a chat. So he stopped to hear me out.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I'm the scandalous frappechino bought with embezzled money.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

do not skip this people

this is a must read

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
edited to show the complete url :unsmigghh:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
serious question what's going to happen to all the butts/actualmoney in magic the gathering online exchange because this is not a sustainable state

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

serious question what's going to happen to all the butts/actualmoney in magic the gathering online exchange because this is not a sustainable state

"we were hacked" - evens
regulators seize everything - 2/1
"regulators" seize everything - 1/5
gox cut and run, buttcoiners tied up forever in byzantine japanese legal system - no bets being taken

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sham bam bamina! posted:

there's probably not actually any real money in there anymore, this is the late-game ponzi scheme when the funds run out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

the pro-est click

• Locked thread