Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

think for yourself by smashing your possessions when somebody else tells you to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Boxturret posted:

i'm the hypothesis

:psyduck: that's not an hypothesis

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

faaaaaaaaaaaart

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

FrozenVent posted:

:psyduck: that's not an hypothesis

nothing about that has anything to do with science or experiments yet first place

sorry youths youre all totally screwed by my generation

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boxturret posted:

i'm the hypothesis

im the list of materials beginning with a macbook pro

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

killhamster posted:

it depends on which part of the conversation you're looking at, sometimes it skips over entire threads because :iiam:

i know there used to be "view a twitter conversation" websites, did they all go away after twitter started their own thing (which apparently doesn't work worth a drat)?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Mining Bitcoins can be make profits!

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Robawesome posted:

BEWARE: Tigerdirect and bitcoins (self.BitcoinMining)

submitted 40 minutes ago by d6ftRgNz

I don't know where to post this. r/bitcoin is more for companies starting to accept bitcoins and bitcoin news than anything else.

This is the account of the story as best as I can remember. Left out large amounts of time I spend on hold.

Story: The first day Tigerdirect accpeted bitcoins I placed an order using bitcoins. I haven't used my Tigerdirect account for a number of years, so I unknowingly placed an order with the wrong shipping address (billing is not needed as bitcoins were used).

After I had received order confirmation through email, I realized shipping address was wrong. I called customer service and asked if they can change shipping address to the right address. They stated they cannot do that.

So I asked if I canceled the order, would I get my bitcoins back. They stated I would get my bitcoins back within 24 hours. So I had the order canceled and reordered through the website with correct shipping info.

3 days later bitcoins still not returned, so I called customer service again and they stated that they do not return bitcoins but the refund would be in the form of a gift card, according to their website. I explained to them that I was told I would get the bitcoins back and I would not have canceled the order if I was going to get a gift card and I would have just arranged pickup of product with current resident.

Transferred to manager and restated my dilemma and they again told me the gift card solution. Then the manager said the transaction of bitcoins never took place as they did not receive payment from Bitpay. I assured him that the bitcoins were removed from my account and the manager then said the bitcoins would be returned to my account in 5 business days.

After the 5 business days and no bitcoins in my account, I again called and another manager said they were working on it. A particular customer service agent called me back asking for my contact info and a screenshot of the transaction of the bitcoins that were taken out. They then said they would work on the resolution of this.

After a few days I emailed this particular agent with no response after a day. I then called and left a message with no response after a few days.

Today I called customer service and was told to call corporate regarding this issue. Called corporate, got transferred to a manager, put on hold, then disconnected. Called corporate again and they said this issue is a customer service issue and was told to call customer service.

Called customer service again and was put on hold then told a gift card is the only resolution. I gave in as it has been 3 weeks and no resolution. The gift card would not be for the amount of merchandize but would be in the amount of the current exchange rate (who knows which exchange rate they use) of bitcoins to USD.

Currently the price of bitcoins is down because of MtGox closure.

tl;dr: made shipping address error on order purchased by bitcoins, canceled order being assured bitcoins would be returned, after various calls and large amounts of time on hold and dealing with customer service that seemingly did not want to deal with this situation, I am getting a gift card refund reflecting the current btc exchange rate which has taken a hit today.

:laffo: these loving idiots

however, this is p.much how tiger direct handles any customer service inquiry whether it be bitcoin or actual money.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Boxturret posted:

I'm the sixth grader who cares about the banking system

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

PROJECT NAME: Dubstep: Is it any good?
Observation: Dubstep is on the radio. I guess it means it has double steps or something. I'm not a musicologist.
Hypothesis: I believe Dubstep isn't that good.
Experiment: I will listen to a dubstep song with a good song as a control.
Result: The dubstep song sucked noodles, and the good song was good.
Conclusion: Dubstep isn't that good a genre.

where's my ribbon?

EDIT: Also, I'm the actual money background on a project poopooing fiat.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

im the 6th grader with a bank account

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FrozenVent posted:

i'm the sixth grader who can afford a $100 bitcoin mining ASIC

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

transfatphobic posted:

how the gently caress did you not have a bank account by the time you were in 6th grade

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

transfatphobic posted:

that's about when I started my account at the credit union tbh

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

idk because i was 11 years old and thus didnt have a source of income?

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

transfatphobic posted:

idk because i was 11 years old and thus didnt have a source of income?

i had good parents that tried to instil a sense of saving from a young age.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Boxturret posted:

Dad didn't even bother trying to make it look like the sixth grader actually wrote this

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]btctothemoon 14 points 3 hours ago

Good voice acting. Good production value. Good message. Bravo!!!

[–]4Gman[S] 7 points 2 hours ago

Thanks! The VO was by Steve Jobs from this ad

[–]btctothemoon 5 points 1 hour ago

Aha! That makes it even better, in an ironic sort of way. :)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

kiwid posted:

mine too but when you only have $50 to your name you start to think "wait if i wait ten years then I can have $60 or I can have Donkey Kong Country right now"

DKC wins every time

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Boxturret posted:

Maybe I was a weird kid or a nerd or something but i had a much better command of the english language than that when i was in the sixth grade

i type the above without caps or punctuation

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

killhamster posted:

Maybe I was a weird kid or a nerd or something but i had a much better command of the english language than that when i was in the sixth grade

It's funnier when you realize that the dad probably wrote it, or dictated what she should type

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

My Coinbase account was drained too. I had 2FA enabled. I think something is up here. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 55 seconds ago by jordanmills[🍰]

Last week I woke up at the buttcrack of dawn to emails coming in saying that I'd made a transfer, a purchase, a transfer, etc. I replied that it wasn't authorized, reset my password, all that, but of course it was too late to stop anything. This is within a couple of days of a purchase being deposited (the due date of which kept getting extended...), before I had a chance to transfer it to a cold wallet. My first emails were ignored. I figured out where the ticket system was stuck on the site, created a ticket, and got a reply hours later.

We went back and forth for a while. First they said that I must have entered my credentials on a phishing site (unlikely since I use bookmarks and manually verify the SSL cert before entering anything) and that "an attacker was able to bypass your 2-factor security" (wat?).

Then they said that my email must have been compromised, not their problem, too bad (unlikely, since that account is on a password rotation, also has 2FA, and it showed no signs of compromise). Also, I never got password reset emails from then (I did get one, about a week before, which I ignored per the instructions - it didn't seem to have been reset then since I was still able to use the site).

I had set up 2FA with the app on an old phone that had no sim card and had wireless disabled - with the battery removed unless I was actually using it. It is VERY unlikely that it was compromised.

Coinbase piddled around with all that for a few days. I expressed willingness to not discuss it publicly to reduce knowledge of a potential exploit.

Finally they came back and said that the attacker got a 2FA code from the phone number I originally set the account up with. Since it was a google voice number and accessible from the internet, they wouldn't cover anything. The GV number is a separate email account, separate password, separate rotation schedule, and had been disabled for 2FA on my Coinbase account. Apparently the attacker was able to reenable it then use it.

There are a few things that they never answered:

There were several failed authentication attempts to my account before they bypassed the 2FA. I didn't get any kind of alert, nor was my account locked out. Multiple failed authentication attempts from a TOR node should throw some kind of red flag.

I didn't get a password reset email when the attacker successfully reset my password. I did get one when I requested a password reset. I didn't get a notification that my password had been successfully reset either time.

It bothers me how CB apparently had an excuse that my email account had been compromised and my 2FA "bypassed" and seemed to expect me to go away after that.

CB seemed to ignore the issues about there being no password reset emails or my phone being reenabled for 2FA.

CB said that since my text messages COULD be accessed from the internet, they would not cover any losses. The real problem is that, as far as I know, ALL cell carriers allow access to text messages from the internet - I've personally done it on sprint and ATT. It's a ready excuse to tell anyone to shut up and go away.

All this put together makes me think that there's some exploit that they are at least somewhat aware of, but are not able to and/or interested in fixing, and are just hoping that it doesn't happen to more people than they can tell to screw off.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

kiwid posted:

yeh let me save all that zero dollar income i have

a good plan

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

killhamster posted:

same but I couldn't actually speak English when I was in sixth grade

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

transfatphobic posted:

a good plan

lol if you didn't make money cutting grass and shoveling snow

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

i was in 8th grade when i got my bank account and 9th grade when i actually started making realdollars to put in

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

transfatphobic posted:

a good plan

you were a mooch on the economy and you should count yourself lucky your parents didn't sell you

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

transfatphobic posted:

a good plan

but with bticoin

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

theflyingorc posted:

It's funnier when you realize that the dad probably wrote it, or dictated what she should type

Bitcoins is
the value of Bitcoins will continue to rise in value
capitalizes "banks"
Bitcoins popularity

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

you were a mooch on the economy and you should count yourself lucky your parents didn't sell you

im sure they would have if the drat government didnt get in the way of a mutually benefit exchange

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

FrozenVent posted:

I'm the fiat currency in the background

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

killhamster posted:

Bitcoins is
the value of Bitcoins will continue to rise in value
capitalizes "banks"
Bitcoins popularity

Remember that her dad is a bitcoiner, do you expect him to not make basic spelling/grammar mistakes

as evidence:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Remember that her dad is a bitcoiner, do you expect him to not make basic spelling/grammar mistakes

as evidence:

spellcheck, but with bitcoins

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
typical @aantonop fan, "I have no idea why I bother favoriting/retweeting everything @aantonop says. Could you all just read his tweets twice, please? Thanks. <3", has what appears to be a tentacle pony as her banner image

also he's tweeting again and has completely abandoned our conversation, not surprisingly

i'm a little disappointed, i was hoping for some kind of hilarious nonsequitur response to my effortposting. oh well

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

typical @aantonop fan, "I have no idea why I bother favoriting/retweeting everything @aantonop says. Could you all just read his tweets twice, please? Thanks. <3", has what appears to be a tentacle pony as her banner image

also he's tweeting again and has completely abandoned our conversation, not surprisingly

i'm a little disappointed, i was hoping for some kind of hilarious nonsequitur response to my effortposting. oh well

keep up the Lord's work Heresiarch

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
twitter is really bad about long conversations

or conversations in general

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
but lol @ algorithms not institutions dude that was arguing @ u H

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
im the hypothesis of the project to the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

yeah i don't think i'm going to bother next time, it was just hard to pass up bitcoin jesus

• Locked thread