Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Shortest Path posted:

Also Ike is one too in RD, he wasn't so much in PoR because that was a lot better written.
I feel like he earned that poo poo, unlike some certain other characters.

Wild Knight posted:

I would argue that is actually exactly what that part of that level is intended to convey to you, and if you aren't scared of them and running desperately for your lives at that point you're either playing it wrong or have a very exact plan to take them down.
Then why on earth did I spend so much time playing as these assholes?

Like 99.99% of what they do doesn't even matter except to pad things out. It would have been a fairly different story had we skipped Daein altogether / liberated it from Begnion directly during the conflict with the senate, but the endgame would have been pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I never got to play either of the Tellius games, so I only know what I read in Fedule's LPs in the Archive. But Part 3 of Radiant Dawn, to me at least, seemed to suffer from splitting the narrative between the Dawn Brigade and the Greil Mercenaries. I guess it was mainly to ensure that the Dawn Brigade could get some training in alongside Ike's crew, but it just seems very clumsily handled. Especially since, as the player, you know both sides of the story and realize how stupid it is for both sides to be fighting each other.

I think it probably would have been better if Part 3 had been split into two parts, one where you play as the Greil Mercenaries, and one where you play as the Dawn Brigade, but have both parts occurring at the same time and let the player choose which part to do first. Set it up so that none of the battles involve them fighting either group directly but still have the characters meet between battles to get in their angsting about how none of them want to fight but they must do so because of reasons they can't say.

That way, both groups get a chance to train equally, and you get a much bigger impact out of the reveals that one side knows that the other doesn't like the whole Blood Pact blackmail thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The big problem isn't the split between the brigade and the mercs, it's that the brigade get the complete short end of the stick. They get like 2 chapters in part 3 and the mercs get like 12.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I think the thing about FE10 is that it seems like it was made around the idea of having two player armies fight each other, and everything else took a backseat to that. It led to some interesting narrative/gameplay choices that I can appreciate, but I don't think it was very fun to play, and much less so to replay since your choices for units in the Dawn Brigade chapters and Part 2 are pretty much set in stone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If it was made around that idea, they did a pretty poor job of it. Even in the maps where the two armies clash, they never *really* fight. They all have things preventing them from getting in conflict: two are survival maps, and one is a map where it ends after a certain number of kills. You have to be basically rushing to the enemy to get the two sides to actually fight.

And it's only 3 maps in a game with about 50.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Onmi posted:

No that's cause English Normal is Japanese Hard. Besides I can not get over how absolutely loving retarded they all are. Like... the opening cutscene has no purpose because it leads nothing into the prologue but it could at least set up "Hey the Dawn Brigade have to maintain the secret of their presence because Begnion is hunting for them" BUT THAT IS COMPLETELY loving INVALIDATED BY EDWARD IMMEDIATLY TELLING THE FIRST RANDOM PERSON HE SAW "Hey, we're the dawn brigade!" I could not buy the Dawn Brigade as a rebellion, they are 5 of the most incompetent fucks on the face of the planet, they have no loving self preservation skills. I mean disregard that 1-2 is quite literally so utterly incomprehensible that on cursory glance the entire thing falls into loving shambles, disregard that... The Dawn Brigade have been running from the Begnion army since the last chapter, no idea how much time has passed since then, but regardless they meet a random girl on the road who says "Hey, can you break into this secure mansion full of Begnion soldiers for medicine for an abbot you've never seen?" And with not a hint of loving "Wait this might be a trap" they go "SURE!"

The only way the Dawn Brigade could even survive is that the world is so utterly loving retarded as to keep them alive. Like Jarod, end of 1-2 again. Jarod has just executed A. His troopers and B. Civilians, so he's established that he gives no fucks about shanking dudes, so he captures Micaiah and he says "I'm going to take you hostage." and then follows up with "The others are irrelevant."

... I'm not sure Jarod quite understood how hostages worked because if the others are irrelevant, then Micaiah is worth nothing as a hostage... For that matter he describes Laura as a hostage, but there's no lead in to that, since Aran the only person she could possibly be a hostage FOR is working with begnion of his own free will. So either the Dawn Brigade doesn't matter (and they don't, they are so loving irrelevant) or they do... and in either way, Jarod has no reason to keep Micaiah alive, he's never shown restraint, shank her and leave her corpse in a ditch! Everyone has to get stupid because if they aren't stupid we don't have a plot.

Also, they can never decide if the Dawn Brigade is a big thing or not. Jarod doesn't know who they are despite being the head of the occupation force, yet apparently PEOPLE IN loving PRISON CAMPS KNEW WHO THEY WERE...

I just can't take it. Part 1 is so... SO loving retardedly written. which admittedly is saying nothing in regards to the game but... god drat.

I Love This Post

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Radiant Dawn has a lot of logical problems, but I think you could probably find the exact same issues with every other game. The problems I found are more because it shoots for the moon and fails horribly.

Also, while Micaiah is a Mary Sue, she at least... sort of had an arc. Kind of. More like a triangle than an arc, but she at least had a point in the story where her character changed. Ike has always been the exact same person and he's treated like god, so I'd say he's the worse character. I think the unsung hero of that game was Elincia, strangely enough, even though I hated her in the last game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Momomo posted:

Radiant Dawn has a lot of logical problems, but I think you could probably find the exact same issues with every other game. The problems I found are more because it shoots for the moon and fails horribly.

Also, while Micaiah is a Mary Sue, she at least... sort of had an arc. Kind of. More like a triangle than an arc, but she at least had a point in the story where her character changed. Ike has always been the exact same person and he's treated like god, so I'd say he's the worse character. I think the unsung hero of that game was Elincia, strangely enough, even though I hated her in the last game.

I think Micaiah's arc was canceled, like everybody else's, by the flat, boring part 4. It's pretty clear where they're going with it in Part 3: the "savior of Daein" is put in a position where Daein is wrong, and she has no real option but to continue pressing down that wrong path, even though she's just postponing the inevitable. Both chapters in which the Dawn Brigade and Ike's squad fight make it clear through gameplay that her people have no chance against the Laguz Alliance.

Part of the reason it doesn't work is that the Dawn Brigade doesn't get enough screentime, so it all ends up underdone. And then Part 4 turns her into an actual savior figure, which doesn't work at all and just makes her boring instead.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

nrook posted:

I think Micaiah's arc was canceled, like everybody else's, by the flat, boring part 4. It's pretty clear where they're going with it in Part 3: the "savior of Daein" is put in a position where Daein is wrong, and she has no real option but to continue pressing down that wrong path, even though she's just postponing the inevitable. Both chapters in which the Dawn Brigade and Ike's squad fight make it clear through gameplay that her people have no chance against the Laguz Alliance.

Part of the reason it doesn't work is that the Dawn Brigade doesn't get enough screentime, so it all ends up underdone. And then Part 4 turns her into an actual savior figure, which doesn't work at all and just makes her boring instead.

I actually found the later parts of part III to be the most interesting for precisely that reason. Micaiah does some pretty lovely things (like planning to burn the apostle's army alive), but she's pretty much screwed no matter what she does. Either she fights the Laguz alliance even though it's clear they have no chance and would just result in Daein's destruction, or she doesn't and Daien is destroyed anyway though the blood pact nonsense (which a whole 'nother issue with the plot in itself). This really had potential, and then it got solved with literally divine intervention. :sigh:

I actually think Micky is the more interesting character of the two (though I should note that by interesting I don't necessarily mean good). Micky actually did some lovely things and got called out on it, and actually has to struggle with the fact that fighting for Daien will make her a lovely person and be all for naught anyway because she doesn't stand a chance. While Ike is treated by pretty much everyone as Basically Jesus for pretty much all of both games.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Awakening: I was finishing up doing supports for the female avatar, but I accidently saved the game over the file I was using so I have to re-do all the relationships I hadn't gotten an S rank in yet. :argh:

Momomo posted:

Also, while Micaiah is a Mary Sue, she at least... sort of had an arc.

Micaiah has a character arc in the sense that a brick thrown out the back of a truck does. Her basically being in the wrong would be interesting if it wasn't brought up then shuffled around until it got hucked away.

I've started playing it and the gameplay's pretty fun, though not my favorite. I can't stand pretty much any of the characters, which is a downside.

I am genuinely somewhat more interested in SMTxFE though because depending on what the game actually IS, maybe it'll be a second shot!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Micaiah's the playable version of the dumbass in every game whose country has gone insane and evil, but no. They're sticking with the losing team, despite knowing that they'll die and they're fighting for the wrong side to no-one's benefit.

But the game wants her to seem like an equally important protagonist, so they keep tossing reasons she's special onto the basic character, and it just gets ridiculous. Still not the most things slapped on a Fire Emblem character, considering Morgan's possible list of credentials, but she gets close.

And Morgan carries it a lot better.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Pelleas is by far the best character in Radiant Dawn. He has his own arc, gets a decent amount of screen time, and is basically the only new character besides Micaiah to have more than a one note personality. Plus dark magic is cool.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Wind God Sety posted:

Pelleas is by far the best character in Radiant Dawn. He has his own arc, gets a decent amount of screen time, and is basically the only new character besides Micaiah to have more than a one note personality. Plus dark magic is cool.

Also his outfit is pretty rad.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Wind God Sety posted:

I'm kinda surprised FE never really comments much on Dark Magic other then handwaving it as "the old ways" for good guys and "Spooooky evil magic" for bad guys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Canas's supports in FE7 get into a tiny bit. All his brothers got so hosed up by it that they're basically zombies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Wind God Sety posted:

Pelleas being New Game + only was super dumb. Also he's really bad as a unit. Hopefully IS makes more late game Dark Mages like Niime and less like Sophia in the future.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I want them to bring back the magic triangle. I like rolling with a monk, a shaman, and a mage.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I want them to bring back the magic triangle. I like rolling with a monk, a shaman, and a mage.

I have no idea why Light Magic stopped being trendy in FE:A

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anatharon posted:

I have no idea why Light Magic stopped being trendy in FE:A

They like messing with the magic and magic subsystems more than they like screwing with the physical ones. Unless the games are direct sequels they never seem to have the same magic system.

I think the longest stretch everything was the same was FE 6-7-8. Since then they've really been experimenting with removing different parts of the magic system and radically changing others. My guess is they want magic to not just be a 1-2 range version of Swords/Lances/Axes so they're trying different implementations until they find something that really works.

Unless FE:14 is a direct sequel to Awakening (which, given its popularity, is a possibility) I think they'll probably bring Light magic back again in some new way.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

They like messing with the magic and magic subsystems more than they like screwing with the physical ones. Unless the games are direct sequels they never seem to have the same magic system.

I think the longest stretch everything was the same was FE 6-7-8. Since then they've really been experimenting with removing different parts of the magic system and radically changing others. My guess is they want magic to not just be a 1-2 range version of Swords/Lances/Axes so they're trying different implementations until they find something that really works.

Unless FE:14 is a direct sequel to Awakening (which, given its popularity, is a possibility) I think they'll probably bring Light magic back again in some new way.

I'd put my money on a prequel, during the Plegia war which ends with Emmyren becoming Exalt as opposed to a sequel.

Or FE on mars.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Pelleas being New Game + only was super dumb. Also he's really bad as a unit. Hopefully IS makes more late game Dark Mages like Niime and less like Sophia in the future.

Or they could just give you an actually good Shaman early on. Would be interesting to have dark magic available first for once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I guess what it is really is that all the different magic types pretty much have the same uses. They're powerful units against most enemies that you have to usually be careful with because they can't take hits very well and could get overwhelmed. The differences between power and speed when using the different magic types doesn't really matter all that much. Once they're strong enough, the magic types were generally interchangeable, aside from the situations where you wanted dark magic's truly ridiculous amount of damage. Moreover, the magic triangle was kinda mechanically pointless because it's usually easier to just send a physical character to deal with an enemy magic user anyway.

It was really cool having the variety anyway though and I want them back.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

What bugs me is that they have a lot of cool ideas for Light and Dark magic, but usually they limit themselves to one or the other. And taking stuff from all the games, they have enough ideas to do interesting things with a full set of Light and Dark tomes. Like Light can have a basic tome, Nosferatu/Resire, Aura, Thani, and Purge, and Dark can have a basic, Poison, Hell, Waste, and Luna. That way they can feel more distinct from each other, and less like anima +/- accuracy and power.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Regy Rusty posted:

I guess what it is really is that all the different magic types pretty much have the same uses. They're powerful units against most enemies that you have to usually be careful with because they can't take hits very well and could get overwhelmed. The differences between power and speed when using the different magic types doesn't really matter all that much. Once they're strong enough, the magic types were generally interchangeable, aside from the situations where you wanted dark magic's truly ridiculous amount of damage. Moreover, the magic triangle was kinda mechanically pointless because it's usually easier to just send a physical character to deal with an enemy magic user anyway.

It was really cool having the variety anyway though and I want them back.

I think this is why they tried something different in Awakening. You had regular magic, and the return of mixed magic/martial troops, and then you had 'Elite' magic in Dark magic with all kinds of effects magic doesn't normally get like Killer and Brave weapons.

I think, ideally, if they bring light magic back they should keep trying to differentiate the magic types. Maybe anima keeps the standard magic stuff, Dark gets the weird stuff it got in Awakening and Light gets magic with status effect riders. Maybe they're overall way weaker but poison an enemy for damage over time, or prevent them from attacking next turn etc.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Zore posted:

Well it would help if they didn't make the magic trees so limited. Even at its absolute best, Anima is the closest that any branch of magic has ever come to being like a real weapon and even that basically only has a single long-range tome and a standard E-A. Once you get outside that, it becomes straight up dire - Light is the exact same "high" crit/low might idea four times (plus Purge), and Dark ranges from a bunch of gimmick spells to...a bigger bunch of gimmick spells. Look at the average weapon set (we'll use Lances as an example): You get three "vanilla" weapons (Iron/Steel/Silver), a ranged weapon with upgrades (Javelin/Short Spear/Spear), a killer weapon, a brave weapon, a reaver weapon, effective weaponry (Heavy Spear/Horseslayer), and stupid poo poo no one ever uses (Slim/Poison). You could put all three classes of magic together from the GBA games and barely come up with a list that matches that. And that's just Lances.

I would love to see magic become just the 1-2 range of Swords/Lances/Axes because it would mean each school gets anywhere between four and six new tomes a pop. Maybe Light magic would be worth using if it had a spell that inflicted Silence or something crazy like that.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

chiasaur11 posted:

Micaiah's the playable version of the dumbass in every game whose country has gone insane and evil, but no. They're sticking with the losing team, despite knowing that they'll die and they're fighting for the wrong side to no-one's benefit.

But the game wants her to seem like an equally important protagonist, so they keep tossing reasons she's special onto the basic character, and it just gets ridiculous. Still not the most things slapped on a Fire Emblem character, considering Morgan's possible list of credentials, but she gets close.

And Morgan carries it a lot better.

I think it works better for Morgan because most the insanity is completely optional and your own drat fault. And Really the main reason for Morgan's entire existences seems to be to cause as many causality headaches as possible. The entire rest of game game seems to works fairly simply for a time travel plot Timeline A things go to poo poo, people go back in time, create Timeline B the one you play. Morgans existence for quite a few pairings require there to be a timeline C to come from, and a timeline D for people have gone back in time from to create timeline C. Basically the existence of one character more then triples the amount of causality destroying timy-whimy poo poo in the plot by themselves. Im not sure if that's the best thing or the worst thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's dimension hopping, you're making it too complicated.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tear Ring Saga had a ton of cool magic tomes. On top of your standard Fire, Elfire etc you've got tomes that are effective against monsters, tomes that have a Brave effect, tomes that can't be countered even if the opponent is in range, Nosferatu for both Light and Dark magic, tomes with 1-3 range and even AOE attacks that can only be used on turns divisible by 2 or 5. Some of those are Prf weapons but having more Prf weapons outside of just Lords is a cool thing that I would like to see come back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tear Ring Saga had lots of problems but it did have some neat ideas buried in there. Apparently the sequel game is actually good, but rip any hope of that getting translated.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Tear Ring Saga had a ton of cool magic tomes. On top of your standard Fire, Elfire etc you've got tomes that are effective against monsters, tomes that have a Brave effect, tomes that can't be countered even if the opponent is in range, Nosferatu for both Light and Dark magic, tomes with 1-3 range and even AOE attacks that can only be used on turns divisible by 2 or 5. Some of those are Prf weapons but having more Prf weapons outside of just Lords is a cool thing that I would like to see come back.

Yeah, that's one thing I liked about TRS.

I don't want to get too Disgaea/FFT/Whatever, but I do think it'd be cool to experiment with more exotic effects. Not just for tomes, but skills and other weapons too.

Like add Crossbows that can melee attack, but only once (Not twice). Let thieves use stat poisons. Make status effects more common(But being intsys, make resisting them tied to a new stat. :v:). Maybe even give the Gaiden way another shot, which is more Final Fantasy styled magic cast via HP. Another possibilty for adding more stuff would be make some of the monsters playable instead of just Dragons, but I dunno what exactly they'd add for that. Maybe human slaying weapons since there'd be other options.

I find the core gameplay of FE (and Advanced Wars) to be more enjoyable then pretty much other turn based strategy game except for XCOM, but it's still fun to try other things within the engine.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
A big problem with adding a bunch more affects is, most of the time they just boil down to "Does more damage", and I'm not really sure how to fix this. Status effects are a novel idea and all, but rarely are enemies alive long enough for them to have any lasting effect. I think to branch out with more mechanics, the series would have to change more than I'd like. I'd prefer they just tune what they have now the best they can.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, for all those ideas all I'm thinking is 'or I could just kill them.'

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Status effects are really only useful when it's Fire Emblem 5 and you can instantly incapicate any enemy not on a throne from the other side of the map.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yeah, for all those ideas all I'm thinking is 'or I could just kill them.'

Well, I figure the obvious answer is that A) enemies can use them and B) make enemies tougher overall, same as any game with status effects really.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

Status effects are really only useful when it's Fire Emblem 5 and you can instantly incapicate any enemy not on a throne from the other side of the map.

FE14 should be a spiritual successor to FE5. Lucina 776 please.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They kinda played that out with Future Past already. They could do Morgan's future though, that's completely unexplored. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the way they wanted to go with it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

gently caress staves, make magic have healing tomes. Anima gets one or two healing tomes at higher levels, Light is healing focused with (relatively wimpy) attack tomes at B or C rank and up, Dark magic gets none but has status effects and high damage.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I got Awakening a few weeks ago and it alone has justified buying a 3DSXL. Mix-maxing this thing is so much fun probably because it's tapping into both the D&D min-max and Pokemon breeding parts of my brain. Almost everyone has some combination of Armsthrift/Galeforce/Counter/Vantage. My favourite character right now is a Trickster Noire (with Tharja and Gaius as the parents) with Galeforce, Pass, Lifetaker, Lucky Sevens and Acrobat (the latter will be replaced with Limit Breaker when I get it). She's this highly mobile, untouchable, Levin-sword-blasting, cackling, crit-monster that just will not go down.

Tragically though, I paired up Lucina with Morgan because they seemed to be the Galeforce Duo of Destruction, only it said "Companion" instead of "Husband/Wife" and I didn't know why until I actually paid some attention to things that weren't support stats. :gonk:

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 9, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Roger Explosion posted:

I got Awakening a few weeks ago and it alone has justified buying a 3DSXL. Mix-maxing this thing is so much fun probably because it's tapping into both the D&D min-max and Pokemon breeding parts of my brain. Almost everyone has some combination of Armsthrift/Galeforce/Counter/Vantage. My favourite character right now is a Trickster Noire (with Tharja and Gaius as the parents) with Galeforce, Pass, Lifetaker, Lucky Sevens and Acrobat (the latter will be replaced with Limit Breaker when I get it). She's this highly mobile, untouchable, Levin-sword-blasting, cackling, crit-monster that just will not go down.

Tragically though, I paired up Lucina with Morgan because they seemed to be the Galeforce Duo of Destruction, only it said "Companion" instead of "Husband/Wife" and I didn't know why until I actually paid some attention to things that weren't support stats. :gonk:

Yeah, Yarne, Gerome and Laurent are the only child units who can't get Galeforce since their mothers lack the Pegasus Knight class set. Kjelle, Nah and Noire can still get it by inheriting the class set from their father (which has to be either Gaius, Donnel or a male Avatar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

That's not too bad. I mean, certain other Fire Emblem games I can think of had straight up incest as a thing the plot revolved around, that's relatively tame.