Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it was implied that He got his spot in the Lawful Good afterlife and that anything he does while in Limbo won't nudge him out of that spot. Because it's pretty clear to me that being barred from his afterlife has made him a much worse person.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

That is the act that took her away from being Lawful Good. Every bit of lovely behavior prior to that didn't.

That was just being unpleasant and angry, though. As hard as Rich piled dislikeable traits onto Miko and made a huge deal out of everyone hating her, she didn't really do anything that anyone could call evil or wrong until she lost it for good.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Eifert Posting posted:

I mean if there's some technicality stopping you from being eligible for a job, they don't waste their time interviewing you before telling you that.

I can say from experience that this is false.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That was just being unpleasant and angry, though. As hard as Rich piled dislikeable traits onto Miko and made a huge deal out of everyone hating her, she didn't really do anything that anyone could call evil or wrong until she lost it for good.

That's the point I was making, basically. Being an rear end in a top hat doesn't make you not Good even if you're a remarkable snippy petty rear end in a top hat, and as far as we know of Eugene he was pretty firmly on the side of Good even if he was a pretty bad father and kind of an rear end in a top hat. It's the same as how you can be good to your family and still be Evil.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It doesn't apply to Eugene because he doesn't care about his family, but there's the argument to be made that looking out for those you care about is, to a degree "selfish." So neglecting your family to go adventuring, where you'd be helping total strangers, is more Good than taking care of your family.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

reignonyourparade posted:

It doesn't apply to Eugene because he doesn't care about his family

Uh, not true (SoD Spoilers). The entire reason he didn't pursue the Blood Oath is because he didn't want to abandon his family.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I thought Eugene's fault was he never stuck to one thing. He gave 110% until he got bored and moved on. When he was an adventurer he was drat good, but then he wanted a family. With his family he was good husband and father until he got bored of that too.

And his hubris always let him convince himself that the new project was always more important that his old projects. It only in his afterlife that he is forced to stick to one project.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think it was implied that He got his spot in the Lawful Good afterlife and that anything he does while in Limbo won't nudge him out of that spot. Because it's pretty clear to me that being barred from his afterlife has made him a much worse person.

This is most likely true. The Deva told Roy that atoning for misdeeds while alive is far more useful than after death; the same should apply in reverse.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think you almost have to let the people who are LG but lovely at it into the LG afterlife, because there basically isn't an afterlife plane for "good-but-bad-at-it" people. LG assholes don't belong on Mechanus or Elysium or the Outlands any more than they do on Mount Celestia.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shwqa posted:

I thought Eugene's fault was he never stuck to one thing. He gave 110% until he got bored and moved on. When he was an adventurer he was drat good, but then he wanted a family. With his family he was good husband and father until he got bored of that too.

And his hubris always let him convince himself that the new project was always more important that his old projects. It only in his afterlife that he is forced to stick to one project.
See also: His love life.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think you almost have to let the people who are LG but lovely at it into the LG afterlife, because there basically isn't an afterlife plane for "good-but-bad-at-it" people. LG assholes don't belong on Mechanus or Elysium or the Outlands any more than they do on Mount Celestia.

They go into the second, less-well-known rear end in a top hat Wall surrounding the City of the Dead.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Vorgen posted:

They go into the second, less-well-known rear end in a top hat Wall surrounding the City of the Dead.

Why would Kelemvor yell at people to get off his lawn when he can get an entire wall to do it for him?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Now I'm imagining just that, the wails of thousands of souls going "GET OFFFF MYYYYY LAAAAAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I assume that wall would have slightly fewer crusades against it too.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Someone just casts a complementary Deafness spell on anyone who has to walk past it.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

Uh, not true (SoD Spoilers). The entire reason he didn't pursue the Blood Oath is because he didn't want to abandon his family.

I wouldn't say that's the entire reason. He has a thing about commitment.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Rand Brittain posted:

What are Arcadia and Bytopia even for, then?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sefer posted:

What are Arcadia and Bytopia even for, then?

People who think doing good while staying organized is a nice bonus, and people who think being organized about being good is important, but not the most important thing, respectively.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Pope Guilty posted:

Well poo poo, no wonder Durkonula can still get spells from Thor- since Thor was in on the creation of the goblinoids, millions of sentient beings created only for suffering and death at the hands of the gods' favored races, there's no moral standard by which Thor or any of the gods can be considered good.
Not exactly: Burlew's been rather up-front that Durkon's no longer getting spells from Thor because vampire clerics don't need to worship a deity in order to gain spells in 3.5. He's just worshiping the concept of Death/Evil/Destruction/Trickery and getting his magic from that.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Yeah, Pope Guilty is about as wrong as it is possible to be in that post. Thor and the other "good" gods are "good" because there is literally a book with the rules the game universe runs by written in it, and it says "these are the good guys" and Thor's on that list. The rules for good and evil are arguably hosed up in the OOTSverse, but "real world" morality does not apply to the RPG world. Somewhere in a Monster Manual there's an entry that says, "these guys are always evil and make good enemies for good PCs, the adults are worth 15 XP and children are worth 5 XP, 6 if they have an improvised melee weapon or 7 if they have missile weapons."

No paladins fell during the massacre of Redcloak's village because none of them committed any evil acts. Burlew alludes to the in-game fact that goblin children are inherently evil when the MitD is performing at the circus and nearly all the humans in the audience are repulsed by his form and the goblin children think he's awesome and cool.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Not exactly: Burlew's been rather up-front that Durkon's no longer getting spells from Thor because vampire clerics don't need to worship a deity in order to gain spells in 3.5. He's just worshiping the concept of Death/Evil/Destruction/Trickery and getting his magic from that.

Egads! Then the prophecy regarding Durkon bringing Death and Destruction must actually mean--What? We've already done this one? Oh. ...Carry on, then.

(Has anyone yet speculated that the MitD is a Blue-Eyes White Dragon?)

(...I'll get my hat.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I guess I was forgetting that morality in D&D isn't really meaningfully analogous to real-world morality.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Durkon's going to exclusively worship trickery and get a prank show on whatever network Xykon watches.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

(Has anyone yet speculated that the MitD is a Blue-Eyes White Dragon?)

(...I'll get my hat.)

That would be pretty great, but sadly his eyes are yellow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pope Guilty posted:

I guess I was forgetting that morality in D&D isn't really meaningfully analogous to real-world morality.

It's better in most games to just think of them as opposing teams. Beating up members of the other team is usually the right move.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Pope Guilty posted:

They are in so far as notions of what is acceptable and what is not are determined by power structures.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Network Pesci posted:

No paladins fell during the massacre of Redcloak's village because none of them committed any evil acts. Burlew alludes to the in-game fact that goblin children are inherently evil when the MitD is performing at the circus and nearly all the humans in the audience are repulsed by his form and the goblin children think he's awesome and cool.

I'm pretty sure Rich would be horrified by that interpretation of the book.

The Giant posted:

And it's ridiculous to think that any given six-year-old may have committed a horrible act worthy of being executed unless the text says otherwise, just because that six-year-old has green skin and her parents bring her to their church services. That right there is enough reason for the story to be the way it is. No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

The Giant posted:

Suffice to say that the Twelve Gods are not beholden to put on the same visual display they did for Miko for every paladin who transgresses, and that all transgressions are not created equal. It is possible that some of the paladins who participated in the attack crossed the line. It is also possible that most did not. A paladin who slips up in the execution of their god-given orders does not warrant the same level of personal attention by the gods as one who executes the legal ruler of their nation on a glorified hunch. Think of Miko's Fall as being the equivalent of the CEO of your multinational company showing up in your cubicle to fire you, because you screwed up THAT much.

Of course, while Redcloak is not narrating the scene, it is shown mostly from his perspective; we don't see how many Detect Evils were used before the attack started, and we don't see how many paladins afterwards try to heal their wounds and can't, because these things are not important to Redcloak's story. Whether or not some of the paladins Fell does not bring Redcloak's family back to life. Indeed, if we transplant the scene to real life, he would think it cold comfort that some of the police officers who gunned down his family had to turn in their badge afterward (but were otherwise given no punishment by their bosses at City Hall).

Dramatically, showing no-name paladins Falling at that point in the story would confuse the narrative by making it unclear whether or not Redcloak had already earned a form of retribution against them. To be clear, he had not: Whether or not some of them lost a few class abilities does not change the fact that Redcloak suffered an injustice at their hands, one that shaped his entire adult life. That was the point of the scene. Showing them Fall or not simply was not important to Redcloak's story, so it was omitted.

Further, it would have cheapened Miko's fall to show the same thing over and over--and Miko, as a major character in the series, deserved the emotional weight that her Fall carried (or at least that I hope it carried).

I hope that clears this issue up. I hope in vain, largely, but there you have it.

(Oh, and I leave it up to the readers to form their own opinions on which paladins may have Fallen and which didn't.)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

quote:

we don't see how many Detect Evils were used before the attack started,

This is deeply, deeply amusing

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RentACop posted:

This is deeply, deeply amusing

I don't get the joke :(

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's suggesting that the paladins didn't even bother to check what was or wasn't evil. They saw goblin, they killed goblin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kruller posted:

He's suggesting that the paladins didn't even bother to check what was or wasn't evil. They saw goblin, they killed goblin.

Or maybe they all used it and all those evil gobbos showed up as evil and none of the paladins fell at all!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Detect Evil is certainly a spell that puts a lot of weight into the idea that the alignment system was stupid horseshit that did nothing but hamper storytelling, considering using it can apparently make MURDERING A CHILD not an ethical dilemma.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lurdiak posted:

Detect Evil is certainly a spell that puts a lot of weight into the idea that the alignment system was stupid horseshit that did nothing but hamper storytelling, considering using it can apparently make MURDERING A CHILD not an ethical dilemma.

Werewolf: the Apocalypse has a similar ability in Sense Wyrm, with the caveat that while the child in front of you that's setting off Sense Wyrm might be a vampire or something, it also might be a child who ate at O'Tolley's today and not actually in thrall to evil forces. Of course, it undercuts that by having PC factions who believe the child should die anyway...

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I really wish I could be a DM to a dude who wants to find the inherent goodness in goblins. I'd jerk him around SO much.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

A child who is going to grow up and kill humans. It is total war. Goblin children are legit targets when taking out a goblin camp.
A dead goblin child is a goblin you don't have to kill 10 years from now.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sorry I should've said "amusing to me", basically for the reasons Kruller and Lurdaik said

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Johnny Aztec posted:

A child who is going to grow up and kill humans. It is total war. Goblin children are legit targets when taking out a goblin camp.
A dead goblin child is a goblin you don't have to kill 10 years from now.

If you don't put a caveat on this where you say "because of this arbitrary and ethically horrifying metaphysical rules imposed by the Gods" you sound like you're advocating for real world ethnic cleansing, just a heads up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Are you referring to Burlew's stuff or just in general? Because if it's the former you should read his other post, where he states that murdering children is indeed a bad thing to do, even if they're goblins or whatever.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Vorgen posted:

I really wish I could be a DM to a dude who wants to find the inherent goodness in goblins. I'd jerk him around SO much.

Forget goblins, their forums are crawling with people who are all big on the idea of not being racist against demons and dragons and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you don't put a caveat on this where you say "because of this arbitrary and ethically horrifying metaphysical rules imposed by the Gods" you sound like you're advocating for real world ethnic cleansing, just a heads up.

Goblins don't exist in the real world. Just a heads up.

But if they did, we'd ethnic cleanse them SO HARD. Humanity has been training to kill the Evil Other for so long goblins wouldn't stand a chance.