Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's definitely creepy! And alienating, and immensely frustrating, especially for Asuka who put so much importance on acting and seeming adult. And yeah, it probably is the same for Shinji, and Rei too for that matter. That's another reason to stick together, though -- as far as we know there's nobody else on Earth who shares their circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Subtitles during last nights showing felt a little rushed, would have expected something a little better for an official release.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
I saw 1.11 in theaters dubbed back when it was touring the US. I mostly dislike the Eva dub a great deal, but wasn't gonna pass up the chance to see and hear it in that a massive theater experience.

Regardless, any possible enjoyment was wrecked by the many creepy weeaboos in the crowd, giggling and crowing like idiots throughout. One numbskull even yelled "YEAH, CP!" when Shinji encounters Rei at her apartment when delivering her new ID card and all his idiot pals guffawed like horses.

I knew then that I wouldn't be seeing any of the other films in a theater, dub or sub.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Evangelion 3 is good because it proves that shinji is not allowed to catch a break no matter what timeline.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

Subtitles during last nights showing felt a little rushed, would have expected something a little better for an official release.

It was dubs at mine. Obviously being played off a disc, I guess they let the theaters choose.

Also yeah, the weaboo fucks at the box I was in were hooting anytime kaworu was on the screen.

EDIT: vvvvv Useful to know. I saw subs at Otakon so I'm not too worried about catching them again.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2014

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

It was dubs at mine. Obviously being played off a disc, I guess they let the theaters choose.

Mine is showing both, it just alternates them each night.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013
I showed some friends (who had only seen Rebuilds 1+2) the third Rebuild movie and they thought it was the best of the bunch. I guess as a jaded fan it's easy to overlook all the bombshells that are dropped over the course of the movie; Rei being a clone, Unit 1 being Shinji's mother, NERV becoming the bad guys, SEELE dying, Kaworu being the final angel, Kaji's death/disappearance... 3.0 ties up a LOT of loose ends in addition to all the new mindfuckery for existing fans. Plus the visuals are much better than the TV series, although I'm not a fan of the character redesigns or the overdesigned Wunder.

(My overall feeling about the movie is frustration. Mostly because of the things that weren't included rather than the things that were. Hopefully the last movie will alleviate the frustration, although the opening ~40 minutes of 3.0 will always feel like a wasted opportunity.)

Quick question: have we ever seen Asuka as angry at Shinji as she is in this movie? During the battle in Dogma, she literally screams at Shinji to die while trying to decapitate him.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spectral posted:

Quick question: have we ever seen Asuka as angry at Shinji as she is in this movie? During the battle in Dogma, she literally screams at Shinji to die while trying to decapitate him.

End of Eva? Things got pretty harsh in their little heart-to-heart during instrumentality, albeit in a colder way than they did in Rebuild.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Spiritus Nox posted:

End of Eva? Things got pretty harsh in their little heart-to-heart during instrumentality, albeit in a colder way than they did in Rebuild.

Yeah but was that actually Asuka, or the compartmentalization of some portion of his psyche which he struggled to integrate during the process of Instrumentality?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Spiritus Nox posted:

That reminds me, what's going on with the rights to the original series? The movies have been in limbo since forever but has the TV series basically vanished as well?

Arrowsmith posted:

Yeah but was that actually Asuka, or the compartmentalization of some portion of his psyche which he struggled to integrate during the process of Instrumentality?

I always thought it was just his psyche since the scene right before the choking scene was the strange child scene with the creepy dolls and a trip to the sunset train.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That reminds me, what's going on with the rights to the original series? The movies have been in limbo since forever but has the TV series basically vanished as well?

One of the "ADV Voltron" companies (Aesir) had it but hasn't done anything with it.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I always thought it was just his psyche since the scene right before the choking scene was the strange child scene with the creepy dolls and a trip to the sunset train.

I interpreted this as Shinji's own self-loathing, projected onto the body of the woman who consistently rejects him. I like the theory that Shinji's guilt [re: the lovely things that he did to Asuka] is what motivates his actions in the ending of the movie. Especially considering that they had just emerged from Instrumentality, where they will have learned each others' dark secrets.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Ditto on the weeaboos acting like total manchildren at the movie theater. They did their totally strange high-pitched fan laughs pretty much every time Kaworu opened his mouth.

Kaworu: "Unit 13 is equipped with a double entry system." BIG LAUGHS.

I just don't get it. Why would you take perhaps the only genuinely positive relationship Shinji has in Evangelion and interpret it as some big loving joke.

Kill all the anime fans lol

Not really. It was actually quite enjoyable watching Evangelion 3.33's narrative frustrate these manchildren at every turn. A lot of Tiffany Grant's lines as Asuka were especially fun and hilarious. "He's not a brat. He's an rear end in a top hat."

That gets me to thinking. It seems like most of the time dubs are made to exclusively cater to the hardcore fans and their interpretation of the characters. There's a lot of sexual tension between Shinji and Kaworu in 3.33, but I don't remember nearly so many of Kaworu's lines being double entendres in the subs.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I saw 3 subbed in a theater but there wasn't too much people so I guess it was alright. The only thing that stood out to me was when Asuka went 'Baka Shinji!' and this one group of like 3 dudes in the audience did a big dumb chuckle.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Spectral posted:

Episode 22 Director's Cut, in a roundabout way. In the manga, she chokes Shinji out in a blind, screaming rage when Shinji calls her a doll instead of jerking it to her in the hospital scene.

And besides the obvious, Asuka has taken over Misato's role as Shinji's token adult/surrogate mother when she pulls him out of the Entry Plug. It's a visual callback to Misato dragging Shinji around to save his life in EoE.

Console Role Player posted:

That gets me to thinking. It seems like most of the time dubs are made to exclusively cater to the hardcore fans and their interpretation of the characters. There's a lot of sexual tension between Shinji and Kaworu in 3.33, but I don't remember nearly so many of Kaworu's lines being double entendres in the subs.

Artistic liberty is a hell of a thing. :v:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Midjack posted:

I just came to check the hubbub about Rebuild since 3.0 opened at my theater yesterday, and thought I'd pipe up on this. Eleven Arts(the distributor) gave us the finger when we asked for the subtitled version or better yet both versions so we could alternate. As a result we have alot of people who're pretty unhappy that they've seen the first two subbed and now have to listen to the dub--which is shittily mixed in a way that I won't get into but basically say that it under-emphasizes the dialogue and makes it hard to understand what people are saying when there's music/explosions/etc going on because they were too lazy to make separate mixes for the theater and the eventual consumer Blu-ray release.

No idea why they decided to give some theaters a choice and not others. They straight up made it sound like they weren't even offering a subbed version. I am mad. Mad at film distribution.

EDIT: Eleven Arts' screener for Space Battleship Yamato was also a technical mess. Letterboxed(which is fine) and with hard-coded subtitles that went down into the letterboxing area(which is entirely not fine). Haaaate. I think it's cool that some animes are getting to the big screen, but drat do I wish Funimation went with a different distributor.

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 12, 2014

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Arrowsmith posted:

I think it makes most sense both dramatically and character-wise if it is the actual Asuka, and by extension Misato, who have the heart-to-heart talks with him during that sequence. It also fits with stuff like Shinji seeing a scene from Misato's memory that he couldn't possibly know about.

Perfect World
Jan 16, 2009

When Asuka is standing on top of the Entry Plug at the end and says to Shinji "You didn't come and help me." what is she referring to? For a moment I thought it was a reference to her final battle in EoE.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Perfect World posted:

When Asuka is standing on top of the Entry Plug at the end and says to Shinji "You didn't come and help me." what is she referring to? For a moment I thought it was a reference to her final battle in EoE.

I'm thinking it was a reference to Eva unit Bardiel.

e: Then again there seems to be a lot of times he's let her down so who knows? :v:

Squallege fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 12, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The Ask/Tell thread Tell me about your experiences with "Pick Up Artists" has a post about Spike Spencer and I immediately thought of this thread, also to further my agenda to remind you that nearly everyone involved in the dub is terrible :v::

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

The other one was the guest of honor at a anime convention I volunteer with in 2010. Spike Spencer is one of the biggest North American voice actors and he is really popular among anime fans for playing a whiny teenage boy in Neon Genesis Evangelion. Spike Spencer can improve a convention' profile among other voice actors to get as future guests so we were happy to have him. He asked for a extra plane ticket so that he could bring someone else. What we didn't know at the time is that he was bring his PUA wingman with him. I only figured it out at the staff dinner when the convention was over. Spike and his friend were trying to teach me the PUA ways after serveral beers and letting it slip that I was single. It was weird because they were telling me to say something negative to a hot girl at the bar in order to start a positive conversion.

Over the night, they got frustrated with me because I didn't want to pick up at the bar and I had won a drinking contest against Spike that costed him alot of money. They thought the excuses of "I am sharing hotel room with 3 other people" and "This sounds really retarded" was weak so Spike went to show the magic at work. I have no idea what he said but the woman got pissed and started to yell in French at him. He and his wingman quickly left the pub and not 30 minutes later had 2 drunk women hanging off them at the hotel bar.

vv I'm just being flippant because I dislike those dubs, don't mind me.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 12, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Nearly everybody? I mean I know a few dub actors are assholes but honestly I don't let that detract from the quality of their voicework. So Spike's a bit of a scumbag, oh well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It honestly couldn't be more perfectly ironic that the guy who voices the protagonist in a series about the importance of being forthright and honest about your feelings so that you can form meaningful relationships with other people is a loving PUA.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That, or he got the mistaken impression everyone else does that Shinji is a "wimp" and misguidedly did everything the opposite of what Evangelion taught.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 15, 2014

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I follow a blog on tumblr that was doing commentaries of the Evangelion series, and they posted this tidbit
http://www.wildgrounds.com/2010/05/31/the-man-who-stole-evangelion-2-22/
Found it super duper interesting.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Zeruel posted:

I follow a blog on tumblr that was doing commentaries of the Evangelion series, and they posted this tidbit

When the dummy plug is activated it features an edited clip (maybe reversed?) of the AI from Colossus: The Forbin Project.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwLSWCQ_GRA

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The pause before slamming the door shut should be at least 1 minute long while Beethoven's 9th plays on the background.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Zeruel posted:

That's fuckin' great.

Every time I do a re-watch of Eva stuff I always try to keep more and more in mind how much of it is a farcical depiction of a horror show, and how much it's a work that relies immensely on connections with other works, to derive and subvert a sense of meaning.

God bless Evangelion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That's fuckin' great.

Every time I do a re-watch of Eva stuff I always try to keep more and more in mind how much of it is a farcical depiction of a horror show, and how much it's a work that relies immensely on connections with other works, to derive and subvert a sense of meaning.

God bless Evangelion.

I mentioned over in CineD once that in a lot of ways Anno is very similar to Quentin Tarantino, and just like Tarantino its an utter fools game to try and analyze Evangelion without a stable understanding of preceding works in its genre, because you are missing so much in the way of allusions and references.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm always amused whenever anyone calls something an 'Evangelion reference', when 90% of the show is referencing other things in the first place.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm always amused whenever anyone calls something an 'Evangelion reference', when 90% of the show is referencing other things in the first place.

It is a reference to a reference. All the way down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

It is a reference to a reference. All the way down.

Welcome to the nature of media for everyone not named Henry Darger. :yayclod:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I tuned out about halfway through End of Evangelion because none of it made any sense and I was bored. Maybe I'm stupid but whatever. I didn't enjoy it and have no desire to watch it again any time soon.

But I was assured by people who apparently could follow it that the film reveals Yui is Supreme Bitch of the Universe. She was behind everything and Gendo was just carrying out her will.

So are the main bad guys SEELE or Gendo/Yui?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The main bad guy is the loneliness inside all of our hearts :smith:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

But I was assured by people who apparently could follow it that the film reveals Yui is Supreme Bitch of the Universe. She was behind everything and Gendo was just carrying out her will.

So are the main bad guys SEELE or Gendo/Yui?

Why would you even ask this question if you didn't enjoy the movie enough to finish it? :raise:

Anyways, no, that's not really accurate. Gendo and Yui are as horrible at communicating with each other as everyone else in the series and they're working towards goals that only slightly overlap. If anyone's carrying out Yui's will it's Rei III and she rips Gendo's hand off when he tries to initiate his version of Instrumentality. It's sorta-kinda implied that she also forgives him (in that she's the one who comes for him when everyone gets tanged) but then again that might have just been an illusion.

SEELE is the closest the show has to an unambiguous "bad guy" in that they're a bunch of rich old men who either want to live forever or see all of humanity die with them. They're also the reason for Yui abandoning her family and inhabiting Unit-01; she believed (and was probably correct to believe) that they would murder her for knowing too much / having an alternative plan for Third Impact otherwise.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 14, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's never good to have a false impression of something. Liking or not liking it doesn't matter to me in this case since I simply want to understand better.

So how was what Gendo wanted different from what Yui wanted?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

It's never good to have a false impression of something. Liking or not liking it doesn't matter to me in this case since I simply want to understand better.

So how was what Gendo wanted different from what Yui wanted?

Gendo just wanted to be re-united with Yui. Yui wanted Shinji to be happy and wanted to leave eternal proof that mankind existed, and giving everyone the option to reject Instrumentality and returning to life was probably part of her plan.

(It's hard to say how much of that was her and how much of it was Shinji, but given that she spends the whole series guiding him in the "right" direction via dream sequence I'm not sure it makes much of a difference.)

EDIT: Also anything anybody says about what Gendo, Yui, or SEELE wanted either comes from making educated guesses, or from a bunch of videogame writers playing Telephone with answers that Anno made up off the top of his head, so don't take any of it as gospel. There are people who think that Yui's simply insane and that's the end of it, although I don't agree.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 14, 2014

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

NikkolasKing posted:

So I tuned out about halfway through End of Evangelion because none of it made any sense and I was bored.

How did you make it through the series?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Because half of the series was generic mecha hijinks.

Also Kaji was there.

Once things started getting weird, it was mostly character stuff. It's kinda the difference between the anime's ending and the movie. The movie "explained" all those Proper Nouns they threw around with reckless abandon and zero explanation in the anime while the anime's ending was just a look into Shinji's head and explained pretty much nothing about SEELE or what the hell was actually going on.

I enjoyed the character of NGE to an extent but the storyline was a mess and EoE seems like it existed to try and make that mess vaguely more coherent. To me, it didn't succeed whatsoever.

Also everybody dying in EOE was just annoying. I do like that SEELE'S EVA units were kind enough to not even try and let Asuka beat them around for a few minutes before effortlessly decimating her. That was a nice/pointless touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evangelion's a lot more coherent than anyone realizes on the first trip, but the flipside of that is that everything you can piece together about the grand conspiracy makes almost zero difference. It doesn't matter what the Angels are or where they came from, only that Misato blames them for her father's death. Yui's plan for humanity and exactly what she saw in Gendo are interesting, but it means nothing to Shinji except that she disappeared and his father stopped caring about him.

The entire show is about failure to communicate; fully coherent explanations wouldn't just be useless, they'd make it a worse experience. In the mean time the "character stuff" in episodes 25+26 and elsewhere is the real meat and potatoes of the series.

EDIT: And I'm not just saying this to be smug either; this stuff is a matter of life and death even in-universe. The Mass Production Evas don't "let" Asuka do anything; the whole fight shifts from being in her favor to theirs depending on her mental state at the time; Instrumentality hangs the fate of mankind on exactly how much a depressed, neglected 14-year-old hates the world, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 14, 2014