Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I think the best entry point depends entirely on who's asking for it. If they like cop stories and whodunits at all (and a lot of people do), then yes, the Watch is a great place to start them off. But then there are people who read a great deal of trashy fantasy, and if someone like that comes along then you better bet I'm giving them The Colour of Magic. If it's someone who reads a lot of YA, then it might be Tiffany Aching or I might get them to read about Johnny Maxwell first. Someone who looks for strong female protagonists would be all over the Witches. I'd give a film buff Moving Pictures, a music nerd Soul Music, and a divinity student Pyramids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Small Gods is by far and away my favorite, although the Watch is my favorite series and Fifth Elephant probably my favorite among them (I love the Dwarves. I even loved Thud) but I don't get why Pyramids is often poo poo on. I think it's pretty drat good, all things considered.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Small Gods is by far and away my favorite, although the Watch is my favorite series and Fifth Elephant probably my favorite among them (I love the Dwarves. I even loved Thud) but I don't get why Pyramids is often poo poo on. I think it's pretty drat good, all things considered.

The first half of Pyramids is one of my favourite discworld books, really not so keen on the second half though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I suggest Mort a lot, but if its themes aren't working, I think Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters would be good starters too, they are a bit more "traditional" in their narrative structure.

It's possible Pratchett won't be for you - imo Mort isn't as different from the rest of the line as people are making out. But try a couple of the other arcs like Going Postal or the Guards books. And if you don't like Small Gods you can pretty much wash your hands of his books en masse (which is fine, de gustibus etc).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I refuse to believe there exist people who both have good taste and dislike Small Gods. Seriously, it's a flawless novel on any terms. If any Pratchett book ever gets canonized as "modern literature" it will be that one.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I liked Small Gods, just not as much as everyone else seems to.

Reaper Man is my favorite.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

precision posted:

I refuse to believe there exist people who both have good taste and dislike Small Gods. Seriously, it's a flawless novel on any terms. If any Pratchett book ever gets canonized as "modern literature" it will be that one.

I think it's pretty terrible.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Tunicate posted:

I think it's pretty terrible.

Why?

GrannyW
Oct 17, 2013

It's my favorite, outside the Wyrd sisters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Plot's pretty subpar, dialogue is unmemorable, it doesn't connect to any of the better aspects of Discworld... at best, it's mediocre.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Plot's pretty subpar, dialogue is unmemorable, it doesn't connect to any of the better aspects of Discworld... at best, it's mediocre.

The plot is amazing though. You're a crazy person, having said that though my wife thought it was poor as well and she obviously has good taste as she married me :v:.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, there's a thread! I'm being eaten by a sentence from Hogfather. Can someone explain to me why "Lares and penates? What were they when they were at home?" is funny. Maybe I'm missing the point, because I'm trying to find a similarly sounding sentence, but related to the outside or something. Especially the penates, I can find any number of equivalents for lares as "one" in "one, two, punch".

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
A joke I only noticed today while listening to the Going Postal audiobook - apparently in addition to S.W.A.L.K (sealed with a loving kiss), Ankh-Morpork letters would sometimes be signed L.A.N.C.R.E and K.L.A.T.C.H and I was wondering if anyone had figured out funny sayings for them, considering Klatch is meant to be the ruder of the two (probably another 'excuse my Klatchian' joke)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

supermikhail posted:

Oh, there's a thread! I'm being eaten by a sentence from Hogfather. Can someone explain to me why "Lares and penates? What were they when they were at home?" is funny. Maybe I'm missing the point, because I'm trying to find a similarly sounding sentence, but related to the outside or something. Especially the penates, I can find any number of equivalents for lares as "one" in "one, two, punch".

I was confused by this too. "What were/are they when they were/are at home?" seems to be a reference to something. By googling the phrase I found several instances in other books where a complicated sounding word is followed by the phrase, as a sort of joke:

"Bisphosphanates? What were they when they were at home?"
and
"Semiconductor topographies!" said Mr Aardvark. "What are they when they are at home?"

Knowing it's a reference helps a little but I still have no loving clue what it's a reference to.

edit: oh god, googling ""what are they when they're at home" gives a million more examples. It seems to always go with an unfamiliar word to the person who's speaking.

vvv Yes that much is obvious.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 21, 2014

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

supermikhail posted:

Lares and penates were ancient Roman gods of the home and household. "At home", therefore, is the one place where they were much of anything.

Edit: and as far as I can tell, "what's [things] when they're at home" is just a more colorful way to ask "what are these, I don't get it, explain please".

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 21, 2014

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

'What's that when it's at home?' Is a common English expression meaning simply what is this thing you're talking about. Much like, "What's that got to do with the price of fish?" is just a way of asking how something relates to the topic being discussed.

At least I'm assuming that the phrase itself is what's throwing you guys, it's just a dialect thing. Obviously the household gods thing makes it into a joke in this case.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

SatansOnion posted:

Edit: and as far as I can tell, "what's [things] when they're at home" is just a more colorful way to ask "what are these, I don't get it, explain please".

MrNemo posted:

'What's that when it's at home?' Is a common English expression meaning simply what is this thing you're talking about. Much like, "What's that got to do with the price of fish?" is just a way of asking how something relates to the topic being discussed.

Thanks! I've never heard this expression. While googling, I stumbled on a kind of explanation page for Hogfather and there's so many references I didn't get! :smith: I'm not even from an English-speaking country, so all our songs are different and many classic English-language movies have never been shown... Well, by non-English-speaking country I mean Russia.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

supermikhail posted:

Thanks! I've never heard this expression. While googling, I stumbled on a kind of explanation page for Hogfather and there's so many references I didn't get! :smith: I'm not even from an English-speaking country, so all our songs are different and many classic English-language movies have never been shown... Well, by non-English-speaking country I mean Russia.

It also fits with the English expression 'Who's that when he's at home with his mother' referring to people going by long formal names in public 'Edward Fenby Featherstone-Smythe' and diminutive names at home 'Ted.'

Also used when trying to simplify technical terms 'Calcium carbonate? Or chalk when it's at home.'

I wouldn't worry about not getting all the references, I'm a native speaker and I keep spotting new ones that I missed, but ask away.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

sebmojo posted:

It's possible Pratchett won't be for you - imo Mort isn't as different from the rest of the line as people are making out.
It's possible, but I'd still try Guards Guards or Small Gods first. Mort was my first Pratchett as adult (I had read Discworld chronologically up to Pyramids as teenager, but then took a break from sff, so when I came back I thought I'd start over) and it gave pretty bad taste and almost made me write him off as that guy I used to like when I was smartass teenager, but then I read Guards Guards and some other latter books and became a fan again. The different Discworld series are pretty different, and I'd say they also get more "mature" over the years.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

Doubtful Guest posted:

It also fits with the English expression 'Who's that when he's at home with his mother' referring to people going by long formal names in public 'Edward Fenby Featherstone-Smythe' and diminutive names at home 'Ted.'

Also used when trying to simplify technical terms 'Calcium carbonate? Or chalk when it's at home.'

I wouldn't worry about not getting all the references, I'm a native speaker and I keep spotting new ones that I missed, but ask away.

On that note, why does Susan's employer have to correct herself from "parlor" to "drawing room"? :)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

supermikhail posted:

On that note, why does Susan's employer have to correct herself from "parlor" to "drawing room"? :)

I think it's a Freudian slip for 'enter the parlor said the spider to the fly', because she's mildly terrified of Susan. Also possibly the part where she's completely obsessed with the trappings of nobility (see earlier in the book where she had to have a lie down when Susan accidentally said 'Brian' to 'what do you call the second cousin of the queen')?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

supermikhail posted:

One is posh, the other is not, maybe?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh, drat. I would have thought parlor which is more French would have been posh. This reminds me of when I was reading the Colour of Magic, with a dictionary at hand, because of all the posh words. I still don't know what the color "vermine" is. At least I think that's what it was.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vermine is just a pun on vermin and ermine, an animal often used in fur coats. If you mean Octarine, it's a colour that literally does not exist and can't be seen by (non-wizard) human eyes.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Yes, a material, not color then. I mean, I last saw the term a couple of years ago. My non-nativeness was a definite handicap here, it seems to be particularly hard to associate foreign terms with species, at least for me.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Pretty much.

Parlor is a small room next to the kitchen, where one might entertain folks who have dropped by. It was a feature of working-class/poor houses certainly as a Victorian thing. The upper class equivalent is the Drawing Room - a room to entertain guests informally (i.e. not the Dining Room, Study, Billiard Room etc)

It's a fairly common British comic trope to have a social aspirant refer to things or places by their 'posh' names - often an obsession of the nouveau riche - see Harry King's wife for another example.

British comedy is obsessed with social class, and it shows in Pratchett's work and references.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Yeah, I believe Pratchett's also mentioned that PG Wodehouse was an influence on his writing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mallamp posted:

You can come back later for Reaper Man and Moving Pictures which are pretty good early ones, but they aren't that necessary.

quote:

“ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOMEDAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.

Death took a step backwards.

It was impossible to read expression in Azrael's features.

Death glanced sideways at the servants.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?”
Reaper Man is that necessary.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 22, 2014

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been re-reading the Tiffany Aching books this week and yeesh but that man can write.

I'm somewhat curious though: I love Granny Weatherwax as depicted in the Aching books, but I really didn't care for her in Equal Rites. Is it worth going through the other witches books, or should I just pretend that they started with hat full of sky?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been re-reading the Tiffany Aching books this week and yeesh but that man can write.

I'm somewhat curious though: I love Granny Weatherwax as depicted in the Aching books, but I really didn't care for her in Equal Rites. Is it worth going through the other witches books, or should I just pretend that they started with hat full of sky?

Granny Weatherwax gets consistently cooler with each book. I think they're all worth reading personally but I liked Equal Rites too, though yeah, it's an early raw work.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Omi no Kami posted:

Equal Rites is universally considered to be a "proto" witches book.

They start with Wyrd Sisters, let's all just agree on that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm okay, I'll rewind to Wyrd Sisters once I finish the Aching books- thank you! :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah; Pratchett hadn't really got a handle on what Granny was until Wyrd Sisters, although she also evolves - in a natural, character development way - a fair bit between Wyrd Sisters and the Aching books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think it's also that Granny needs the other witches as foils to really work well. Nanny Ogg and Magrat help define what Granny *isn't*.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it's also that Granny needs the other witches as foils to really work well. Nanny Ogg and Magrat help define what Granny *isn't*.

And the comedy value of Nanny, Granny and Magrat together is just through the roof. The part of Wyrd Sisters where the increasingly unhinged Hamlet/Macbeth play is carried out with them on stage as the Three Witches never fails to make me wail with laughter.

"This cauldron's full of all yuck" is a common phrase in my household when I burn something in a saucepan.

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

Tunicate posted:

The first time I read Small Gods I thought it was awful. By the time I had read it a second time it was far and away my favourite stand alone discworld book. over the years I have often found I needed to read TP a second time to really enjoy, particularly with the stand alone novels.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
That's how it was for me with Reaper Man. Hated it, then came back and got significantly more out of it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

The thing with her in Equal Rites is she's only drawn in two and a bit dimensions, because she's like all the early Discworld characters, a spanner in the wheel to serve the points Pratchett's trying to make about fantasy - in this case, men's magic and women's magic. The book works a lot better once you realise it's basically an expanded version of this speech that he gave to a convention shortly after completing The Light Fantastic.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
It's time to Pay It Forward again and offer some books for trade.

I have Last Continent and Fifth Elephant to offer.

I'm looking for any of the Aching books, Witches Abroad, or Soul Music. Or anything else special, like the diaries or maps or pretty much any suggestions at all. Could use a reread of Thief of Time, maybe.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

FactsAreUseless posted:

I always think of Wyrd Sisters as the first Witches book, not Equal Rites, mostly because nothing in ER ever comes up again (at least not until I Shall Wear Midnight, which doesn't really count). But Wyrd Sisters actually sets some important canonical stuff for the series. It's not a great place to start unless your target is a big Shakespeare fan.

I started at Wyrd Sisters and was instantly hooked. When it was the newest one out. :corsair: