Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Alright the chicks are: black Australorp, easter egg Ameraucana, Barred Rock, silver laced Wyandotte, and a Rhode Island red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Alright the chicks are: black Australorp, easter egg Ameraucana, Barred Rock, silver laced Wyandotte, and a Rhode Island red.

Nice mix! Expect Miss Rhode Island to be fiesty, they generally are. Easter Eggers and Americaunas both lay green-blue eggs... if she grows up and has facial tufts and 'willow legs' (kinda green-blue-slatey leg color) she's an Americaunas, no willow leg or face tufts and she's an Easter Egger. :)

When you can, more cute chick pics please.

Errant Gin Monks, the hen hiding in the dill plants is doing the best 'Dontseemedontseemedontseeme' thing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nice mix! Expect Miss Rhode Island to be fiesty, they generally are. Easter Eggers and Americaunas both lay green-blue eggs... if she grows up and has facial tufts and 'willow legs' (kinda green-blue-slatey leg color) she's an Americaunas, no willow leg or face tufts and she's an Easter Egger. :)

When you can, more cute chick pics please.

Errant Gin Monks, the hen hiding in the dill plants is doing the best 'Dontseemedontseemedontseeme' thing.

We did individual pics this morning so I'll get those posted eventually. They grow so fast it's crazy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's actual rapini I let go to seed. The bees love the flowers and I wanted to keep some free seeds. If anyone wants any I would be more than happy to ship some seed pods when they are ready. It's a great fall/mild winter plant that the bees can happily collect from when nothing else is flowering.

Also yes she was so mad when I plucked her out and made her go somewhere else.

Oh so chicken supervision, while annoying at times, I can live with. Chicken Quality Control is a pain in the rear end in the other hand.

I was planting new lettuce and beans in my garden and as I was going from one area to the next planting seeds I didn't realize behind me was 4 stupid hens plucking them out of the ground and taste testing them. So after chasing them away (over and over) I got everything planted and the sprinkler on before they could do much damage.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 23, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Ahaha....yeah, they love to 'help' garden. Anthracite, the first crow we had that we'd released, watched me plant zuccini seeds one day (before I knew that doing this while he watched was a VERY BAD THING). I'd made my little hills and planted everything so carefully....an hour after I went inside I saw him out there, destroying the hills and replanting all my seeds elsewhere.

I tried to fix it but couldn't find most of the seeds. When they came up it looked like a crazy lady had planted my garden.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My neighbor has (I think) six chickens, talking to him this afternoon he said they are going to get two ducks. This should be interesting, not in a bad way or anything since we live in a wetland sort of area but I've never known anyone with pet ducks.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

My neighbor has (I think) six chickens, talking to him this afternoon he said they are going to get two ducks. This should be interesting, not in a bad way or anything since we live in a wetland sort of area but I've never known anyone with pet ducks.

I have had pet ducks before, in addition to the delicious food/egg ducks my parents kept when my brother and I were little. My favourite pet duck was called Yaldabaoth, she was some kind of Indian runner cross. Most of the other ducks we kept were Muscovy ducks (ie best ducks). I will see if I can find some of my olde timey photos of Yaldabaoth playing in her swimming pool.

Ducks are nice to keep as pets but they get very messy if you try to get them to share quarters with chickens. Even if they have a pond to play in they like to splash around the chickens' drinking water and/or stick their feet in it, very quickly turning it muddy, poopy, and generally gross, or just leaving it all on the ground. Go play in your own pond, ducks!

Also you can get broody hens to raise ducklings, but don't let broody ducks raise chicks! It doesn't seem like such a bad idea until mother duck decides to take her flock for their first swim. :stonk:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Do the chicks follow the mom duck into the pond or does the mom duck force the chicks to swim? :ohdear:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

fork bomb posted:

Do the chicks follow the mom duck into the pond or does the mom duck force the chicks to swim? :ohdear:

Apparently they quite merrily follow her into the water :ohdear: Luckily I have never seen this happening myself!

I have seen other people have Silkies raise ducklings before, though, and the ducklings go to water like... ducks to water once they're old enough that they don't need to be around their adoptive mother any more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can chicks not swim?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
My duck, Chicken, would not go to the pond ever. He followed the chickens around and was the best chicken ever. He wouldn't let roosters pick on anybody and he'd always talk to you when called for the chickens. I miss him. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Wait.. What happened to Chicken?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Raccoons. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

:cry: I loved hearing about that stupid duck.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Shaming pets is not only for dogs and cats: http://www.thirdroar.com/journal/2014/2/24/public-poultry-shaming.html

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
http://m.phys.org/_news312467862.html

Your chickens' eyes are made of super science meta-materials. Congratulations?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Aw. Chicken was the best. So sorry. :(

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
My rooster, Briar, has finally figured out his "special purpose."

I saw him yesterday, chasing one of the Ameracauna girls around the yard until he caught her, humped her, and then strolled off.

Truly I lead a charmed life. :drat:

Also super sorry to hear about Chicken. I enjoyed telling my friends about his exploits.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

...and my chickens have a new adventure awaiting them.

There aren't enough little necksigns in the world for what I need.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Velvet Sparrow posted:

There aren't enough little necksigns in the world for what I need.

Dry-erase for supreme re-usability!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Crossposting from the bird crazies thread:

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but my boyfriend was out walking our dog, and pup scouted out this chicken under a car. Its seattle and thus pouring rain, so my boyfriend couldn't help but take her in. We got her dry and have been rotating hot socks with rice in them to keep her warm, but we're both not really sure what else to do. We've placed ads on craigslist trying to find the owner, and we're gonna pick up a heat lamp (she's been chilling in our dogs crate with a makeshift shelter on one side). What else can/should we do(we have food)? We're kinda stumped. She seems like someone pet, though her beak was overgrown (boyfriend has since trimmed it)

Picture for you bird crazies:

We call her Gary and Aiko (puppy) gets very concerned about her :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I forgot to tell you earlier, but if gary is fully dry now, she doesn't need warm rice socks anymore. Unless you see Gary all puffed up and standing still, she should be fine. :3:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Psychobabble! posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this, but my boyfriend was out walking our dog, and pup scouted out this chicken under a car. Its seattle and thus pouring rain, so my boyfriend couldn't help but take her in. We got her dry and have been rotating hot socks with rice in them to keep her warm, but we're both not really sure what else to do. We've placed ads on craigslist trying to find the owner, and we're gonna pick up a heat lamp (she's been chilling in our dogs crate with a makeshift shelter on one side). What else can/should we do(we have food)? We're kinda stumped. She seems like someone pet, though her beak was overgrown (boyfriend has since trimmed it)

You have a stage one infection of morehens disease, this is how it starts, one wet bird THEN WHAM.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Psychobabble! posted:

That is a white crested black Polish hen (female). The overgrown beak indicates that she didn't get to naturally wear it down enough by pecking and foraging, so I'd guess housechicken/cage bird. If you post more pics of her we might be able to give you an idea of her age.

If she is behaving normally (walking around, foraging for food, eating, drinking, alert) then I'd just provide her with water and food. Keep her in a safe, warm place, free of drafts and away from the dog. If she is sitting around, eyes closed and fluffed up she may have a problem. If she seems to have trouble with her balance or walking, she may have an injury that crested breeds are susceptible to (more info about that on my site below). She shouldn't need a heat lamp once she's dry--she's an adult and fully feathered out. She might appreciate things like cooked (and cooled) scrambled eggs, cut up grapes/tomatoes, cut up dark leafy greens, etc...when it comes to food, if it's healthy for you, it's healthy for her.

I have a chicken info site here that may help with Chicken Care 101: http://jackshenhouse.com/

Gary is very pretty! Also, AtomikKrab is correct, you are at Stage 1---you've named her. :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What a lovely hen! I would say to do what VS said, it's pretty comprehensive. Chickens are usually not too fussy about what they eat as long as they're getting their nutritional needs (mine like eating bits of wood chips and I've heard of many eating foam packing pellets with great abandon). So long as she doesn't puff up and go all still/quiet she should be fine. Many chickens are a lot more resilient than people realise!

Have fun cleaning up all the poop. :cheeky:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That turkey with the "I tried to have sex with a pile of snow" sign. Oh my god ive never laughed so hard in my entire life than when I read that.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Okay now chicken owners. I am looking forward to shame signs! Those were hilarious and ingenious! What a wonderful idea!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Little 3x5 cards for poultry shaming necksigns obtained. Not sure a pack of 50 is enough.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Little 3x5 cards for poultry shaming necksigns obtained. Not sure a pack of 50 is enough.

OH MY GOSH! I am SO EXCITED! Thank you VS! :allears:

You have such a great sense of humor and a quick wit, can't wait to see!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

OH MY GOSH! I am SO EXCITED! Thank you VS! :allears:

You have such a great sense of humor and a quick wit, can't wait to see!

12_String came up with a killer one for Bear so far.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Bloop probably needs at least 20 of the cards, however, you should do at least one card per chicken. Would be a fun excuse to photograph everybody! (and since you were photographing them, take a few shots with no card, to use on your website). :)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Inveigle posted:

Bloop probably needs at least 20 of the cards, however, you should do at least one card per chicken. Would be a fun excuse to photograph everybody! (and since you were photographing them, take a few shots with no card, to use on your website). :)

Bloop has no shame though.

also

:ohdear: Did Bear also eat ALL the bread?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Velvet Sparrow posted:

This could be fun if you like Adventure Time references:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTanF_aJvXs

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim Jong-un posted:

That turkey with the "I tried to have sex with a pile of snow" sign. Oh my god ive never laughed so hard in my entire life than when I read that.

That was SO FUNNY!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Inveigle posted:

You can get a blue Barnvelder chick for only $89.00!

:syoon:

I read the entire chicken thread from the start to this picture, 100+ pages and not once did I want a chicken so badly as I want that blue Barnvelder.

Fake edit:
Now that I'm up-to-date on the ongoing sagas of Weedcat, Bloop, Chido and the Henhoes, etc...

I'm gonna be a chicken mommy too! I look forward to the poultry shaming I will surely be doing!

My 3 chicks (2 Wyandottes and an Easter Egger) are due to arrive mid-March through a deal with a friend who was already ordering for her farm and let me pile on. I am simultaneously thrilled and panicking because I decided to 'save money' and build my own coop. My ability to screw poo poo together is not necessarily lacking, but doing so in a way that is predator-proof in an urban backyard and pretty enough to satisfy me is more of a challenge than I first expected. Also it's currently 24* and not going to get much warmer over the next month, which means a lot of working in the cold to get the coop together.

Sadly I have a tiny space, and have to resist chicken math because the coop and run will be -just- big enough for my 3 chicks. I can not add chickens on a whim (except maybe a bantam? :3). The planned area of the entire setup is only ~4x8, with a 4x3.5 coop on short stilts above part of the run. I have another ~20ish sqft to expand the run space later as funds allow (that much hardware cloth is expensive!!!). In the meantime the hens will get supervised range time outside the run as often as I can afford, and toys and treats like hanging cabbages to keep them entertained in the run. I want them to have a great life with lots of dust baths and love!

Also, that turkey. Ahahaha, they are such dumb birds! My dad raises poultry, and I love to visit them. The first time I met one of his Americaunas she had gone broody and was making velociraptor noises from her nest box, so they re-named her Raptor. :3:

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 1, 2014

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.
Everybody lives chick pics right? This is my first large fowl Langshan of the year, he was hatched Jan 31st, making him 27 days old, and is a Blue Langshan. Hand included for scale, he is the largest Langshan chick I have hatched in a long long time.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hixalot posted:

Everybody lives chick pics right? This is my first large fowl Langshan of the year, he was hatched Jan 31st, making him 27 days old, and is a Blue Langshan. Hand included for scale, he is the largest Langshan chick I have hatched in a long long time.

OMG! What a wonderfully gangly and awkward chick! He's fantastic! Love those huge feet and that long neck! :D

Faerunner: welcome to the Chicken thread! We look forward to hearing about (and seeing photos of) your new chicks. :)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Faerunner posted:

:syoon:

I read the entire chicken thread from the start to this picture, 100+ pages and not once did I want a chicken so badly as I want that blue Barnvelder.

Fake edit:
Now that I'm up-to-date on the ongoing sagas of Weedcat, Bloop, Chido and the Henhoes, etc...

I'm gonna be a chicken mommy too! I look forward to the poultry shaming I will surely be doing!

My 3 chicks (2 Wyandottes and an Easter Egger) are due to arrive mid-March through a deal with a friend who was already ordering for her farm and let me pile on. I am simultaneously thrilled and panicking because I decided to 'save money' and build my own coop. My ability to screw poo poo together is not necessarily lacking, but doing so in a way that is predator-proof in an urban backyard and pretty enough to satisfy me is more of a challenge than I first expected. Also it's currently 24* and not going to get much warmer over the next month, which means a lot of working in the cold to get the coop together.

Sadly I have a tiny space, and have to resist chicken math because the coop and run will be -just- big enough for my 3 chicks. I can not add chickens on a whim (except maybe a bantam? :3). The planned area of the entire setup is only ~4x8, with a 4x3.5 coop on short stilts above part of the run. I have another ~20ish sqft to expand the run space later as funds allow (that much hardware cloth is expensive!!!). In the meantime the hens will get supervised range time outside the run as often as I can afford, and toys and treats like hanging cabbages to keep them entertained in the run. I want them to have a great life with lots of dust baths and love!

Also, that turkey. Ahahaha, they are such dumb birds! My dad raises poultry, and I love to visit them. The first time I met one of his Americaunas she had gone broody and was making velociraptor noises from her nest box, so they re-named her Raptor. :3:

Get a bantam roo, tiny chikken playboy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

AtomikKrab posted:

Get a bantam roo, tiny chikken playboy.

Bantams are always the best. Maximum chicken personality per unit of volume and their eggs are great for putting in lunchboxes as well as delicious baked goods (giant yolks for their size). Also the roosters sound adorable :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hixalot posted:

Congrats on your ostrich!