Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Install Windows posted:

kde is the light

just gonna sidestep this like the pro-tier poster i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sham bam bamina! posted:

maybe i'm getting my political fanatics mixed up but i'm pretty sure that they have a good amount of overlap with gun nuts which is funny because the second amendment :ironicat:

i would imagine that a lot of those folks have no idea that the bill of rights was added later

i mean the word "amendment" makes it pretty obvious but whatever

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

its in the back of my pocket constitution so it must be part of it???

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
here's why kde owns:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

actually i like unity it kinda owns

mods?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
Kool Desktop Environment

Wouldn't want to get you confused with CDE, you see

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

imagine carrying around a copy of the constitution every where u go!

order today~

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
i loving hate kde

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

plz dont shame mark, he is a yospos hero

well

maybe "hero" as in "sandwich"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

order today~

if u really hate yourself find a free constitution app on $SMARTPHONE_PLATFORM and read the comments

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

oval office AND PASTE posted:

order today~

bible in the back right pocket, constitution in the back left, gun in the front right, beef jerky in the front left

I am ready

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

i have a pocket constitution at home because im not sure how else id get a copy

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

FrozenVent posted:

bible in the back right pocket, constitution in the back left, gun in the front right, beef jerky in the front left

I am ready

no knife or telephone for bitcoins, the zombies are going to run wild on your rear end

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

theflyingorc posted:

he didn't really create anything new, but he combined existing tech in a pretty clever way

this is what "creating something new" looks like, hth

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like even the printing press was just a remix of some other stuff that had come before

i think it's pretty much been remixes ever since, like, fire, or the wheel

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

funroll loops posted:

no knife or telephone for bitcoins, the zombies are going to run wild on your rear end

pants aren't secure enough for bitcoin, I keep my wallet on a fingerprint-secured tamper proof usb stick that I keep on my person at all times

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

like even the printing press was just a remix of some other stuff that had come before

i think it's pretty much been remixes ever since, like, fire, or the wheel

the wheel was derived from rolling rocks and tree trunks

fire was either a reproduction of the effect of lighting strikes or a god doing us a favor, either or

anyway humans are pretty poo poo at innovation really

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dessert Rose posted:

this is what "creating something new" looks like, hth

the reason i mentioned that (i forgot to put this in my post), is that half the time that bitcoiners rave about how revolutionary bitcoin is, i'm pretty sure they have literally never heard of modern encryption at all

like, they seem to think that the idea of public/private keys aren't just what we use all over the place and that satoshi came up with them himself

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The one thing that the bitcoin community might have right is Satoshi being a genius, not only because the whole thing is a pretty novel thought, but also because he had the foresight to not get himself tangled up in this poo poo irl

he posted a couple times on the bitcointalk forums (back when it was the bitcoin.org forums) but got virtually chased off when the community started taking ideals and running with them when what satoshi meant was "this is a great starting point to improve upon but no, a deflationary currency is probably a bad idea"

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Notorious QIG posted:

if u really hate yourself find a free constitution app on $SMARTPHONE_PLATFORM and read the comments

welp
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/constitution-united-states/id323100207?mt=8

quote:

NO 28th Amandment

by Cancerface

Is this some sick liberal attempted at brainwashing iOS users as this app has NO 28th amendment! The amendment that states no member of congress or senate can be except form a law that we the people are subjected too. Funny this happens around the same time all the democrats within congress vote to "be exempt" from the new healthcare law. Don't be fool like me and download this app, make sure what ever constitution app you download contains out precious 28th amendment.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/28thamendment.asp

quote:

Is this [text] the actual 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?

No. The U.S. Constitution has only 27 amendments, the last of which (a limit on Congressional pay increases) was ratified in 1992.

Is this [text] really the proposed 28th Amendment?

This item is a "proposed 28th amendment" in the very loose sense that any change to the U.S. Constitution suggested since the ratification of the 27th Amendment is a "proposed 28th Amendment." However, when this piece hit the Internet back in 2009 it was just a bit of Internet-based politicking, not something that had been introduced or proposed as a potential amendment by any current member of Congress.

lolllll

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

fire was either a reproduction of the effect of lighting strikes or a god doing us a favor, either or

hi fishmech

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

he posted a couple times on the bitcointalk forums (back when it was the bitcoin.org forums) but got virtually chased off when the community started taking ideals and running with them when what satoshi meant was "this is a great starting point to improve upon but no, a deflationary currency is probably a bad idea"
was he actually critical of the deflationary part?

the problem is that promise of GREAT RICHES is basically the only reason anyone started mining in the first place

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

yeah but i mean the first human "invention" in that line was the wheel.

in a sense all inventions are just discovering things that already existed; the wheel was just the discovery of an optimal physical shape to take advantage of a property of physics (rolling friction)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

the reason i mentioned that (i forgot to put this in my post), is that half the time that bitcoiners rave about how revolutionary bitcoin is, i'm pretty sure they have literally never heard of modern encryption at all

like, they seem to think that the idea of public/private keys aren't just what we use all over the place and that satoshi came up with them himself

yeah ok this makes sense.

i thought you were speaking in a "apple doesn't create anything new they just market things that already exist" sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

why even bother with snopes

why

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i mean he wasnt even the first one to come up with the hashing algo being used as proof of work; hashcash was proposed as anti-spam some ten years before

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

why even bother with snopes

why

just ice cream on the cake

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

im really wondering what your yardstick for "being good at innovation" is

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dessert Rose posted:

yeah ok this makes sense.

i thought you were speaking in a "apple doesn't create anything new they just market things that already exist" sense

yeah, like its weird that they keep talking about how brilliant the algorithm is or whatever. dude doesn't really do a whole lot of stuff that you don't already do for similar problems, the clever bit was assembling the whole package*

and honestly, the real problems with bitcoin are centered around where he tried to solve new problems (or didn't solve them) - a bitcoin successor would need some much better incentive for mining than "someday this might be worth all the money have some bits!!!", and you really really need to figure out how to do fraud prevention and chargebacks in a distributed system (which he just decided were features i guess?)

and of course he didn't think about GPUs and ASICs making it where you couldn't just reasonably mine on your own CPU, i don't think he ever considered that some miners would have a crazy dominant advantage over others

*his "make the difficulty go up when there is more power" bit might be a kinda new concept?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

don't you loving dare make me sperg about what an invention is i have strong opinions about this

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

transfatphobic posted:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

transfatphobic posted:

i think basically all innovation comes from finding something really annoying

og tired beat deer to death with bare hands, wish there some way og kill dear from farther away...hmmm...stick is longer than og arm...

what if og develop system where we all agree that picture of deer is food, and we all distributively draw picture of deer???? we also agree only ever draw 1000 deer picture, my deer picture most valuable to eat

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

listen that is obviously the twenty ninth amendment to the constitution

1 freedom of speech
2 guns
3 no quartering
4 gently caress the nsa
5 cover my rear end
6 speedy trial
7 trial by jury
8 not getting thrown in the hole over a goddamn parking ticket
9 our rights
10 states rights bitches
11sovereign immunity
12 our election system is a piece of poo poo
13 none of you bitches can take a title of foreign nobility
14 free the slaves
15 equal protection
16 vote for every male
17 IRS bitxhes
18 direct election of senators
19 no booze
20 women can vote
21 it doesn't take months to get to DC anymore
22 booze!
23 term limits
24 maybe DC should get a vote
25 poll taxes are bad
26 succession is good
27 you can vote before we send you PFF to die
28 hey someone passed this shot after 200 years
29 congress should face the same laws we do!!!!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

don't you loving dare make me sperg about what an invention is i have strong opinions about this

:justpost:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
why did i do that on a phone and from memory

and yea I know which ones dont exist

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

...! posted:

killhamster got a shout out

in it, voted 555

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

actually i guess canada has a way better spergparagraph about what an invention is than 'merica

quote:

[the question is whether] the technician skilled in the art but having no scintilla of inventiveness or imagination; a paragon of deduction and dexterity, wholly devoid of intuition; a triumph of the left hemisphere over the right. The question to be asked is whether this mythical creature (the man in the Clapham omnibus of patent law) would, in the light of the state of the art and of common general knowledge as at the claimed date of invention, have come directly and without difficulty to the solution taught by the patent.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

i have invented and patented all good posts. all good posters already pay me licensing fees

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ayn rand hand job posted:

13 none of you bitches can take a title of foreign nobility
uh hey buddy i got some news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?