Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The wife is now demanding a trip to bunny island.

I'd totally go to Oukunoshima Island with my wife and soon-to-appear kid. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youthful Spinster
Apr 1, 2013
Hi everyone, I need advice on what to do right now. My rabbit Raina is lying down flat on the bottom of her cage and won't even lift up her head. She stopped eating regularly two days ago and has barely poop and what she does looks mostly like cecal. I took her to the vet yesterday and they thought she was starting statis. They gave me Oxbow critical care, cisapride solution for her stomach and metacam for her pain. She seemed a little better last night and when I stopped by to give her food at noon she was eating a little hay and ate all of her lettuce I gave her. I need any advice I can get to keep her going until I can get her to vet tomorrow morning.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Youthful Spinster posted:

Hi everyone, I need advice on what to do right now. My rabbit Raina is lying down flat on the bottom of her cage and won't even lift up her head. She stopped eating regularly two days ago and has barely poop and what she does looks mostly like cecal. I took her to the vet yesterday and they thought she was starting statis. They gave me Oxbow critical care, cisapride solution for her stomach and metacam for her pain. She seemed a little better last night and when I stopped by to give her food at noon she was eating a little hay and ate all of her lettuce I gave her. I need any advice I can get to keep her going until I can get her to vet tomorrow morning.

my bun went through the same thing a few months back. if she doesn't eat lettuce, try kale or basil. Little (seriously tiny, head of pin) bits of dried apricot along with the greens. Keep offering her fresh stuff and also make sure whatever it is is thoroughly saturated in water for any possible extra hydration. If she ate the lettuce it sounds like she's getting better though, that's definitely a good sign. She's not going to get better overnight, just keep giving her her meds at the prescribed dosage and she'll keep improving, most likely. you did the right thing taking her to the vet and by the sounds of it you saved your little bun. her behaviour right now is a bit worrying, she won't stir at all no matter what you do? She might just be resting. If she's not huddling in her corner it's a good sign if she's anything like gracie

Youthful Spinster
Apr 1, 2013
I offered her Kale also - she wasn't interested. I pick her up to move her to a better position to give her a meds (she was due again when I got home) but she flopped right back down. She hasn't moved from where I placed her in the front of cage which was likely an hour ago. I've tried to give her some of the critical care with the syringe but it doesn't seem like she is swallowing.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

pseudonordic posted:

I'd totally go to Oukunoshima Island with my wife and soon-to-appear kid. :3:

I wish to retire there. I would go outside in the morning, lay down, and enjoy all the noses until nightfall. Every day.

EDIT: She really sounds like she needs an e-vet, is that possible? Other than that, maybe belly rubs or antigas drops.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I offered her Kale also - she wasn't interested. I pick her up to move her to a better position to give her a meds (she was due again when I got home) but she flopped right back down. She hasn't moved from where I placed her in the front of cage which was likely an hour ago. I've tried to give her some of the critical care with the syringe but it doesn't seem like she is swallowing.

keep at it with the syringe feeding for sure, in my experience if they're not swallowing it's pretty easy to tell as it dribbles all out their mouth :) if you see her tongue move she's definitely swallowed it.

Youthful Spinster
Apr 1, 2013

The Walrus posted:

keep at it with the syringe feeding for sure, in my experience if they're not swallowing it's pretty easy to tell as it dribbles all out their mouth :) if you see her tongue move she's definitely swallowed it.

She's gone - I just check on her and she seizures a few time and then she was gone. It happened so fast - I though she was getting better. I don't know what I do from here, she was my first rabbit. I live in Wisconsin in an apartment - I don't have anywhere to bury her and I don't want to throw her out like trash. I wrapped her up in her litter box and stuck her outside on my deck until i can figure out what to do.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

She's gone - I just check on her and she seizures a few time and then she was gone. It happened so fast - I though she was getting better. I don't know what I do from here, she was my first rabbit. I live in Wisconsin in an apartment - I don't have anywhere to bury her and I don't want to throw her out like trash. I wrapped her up in her litter box and stuck her outside on my deck until i can figure out what to do.

Im sorry. They can go so quick sometimes. The vet can cremate her and you can spread her ashes in a nice park full of green grass she would have loved (and attempted to eat). I know it's wintertime up there so maybe the grass won't be green yet but when you visit you will know she helped make it green.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I have BP ashes in my closet right now. I might spread them somewhere when I move I dunno. I miss my babies. Just remember that really there's nothing that you can do sometimes. They're not easy pets and they go from fine to dead in pretty much no time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm sorry for your loss, Youth. Bunnies are so drat delicate.

Ella has been astoundingly behaved while I was on the farm. My mom hurt her back pretty badly, and has been bed-ridden for two days. Ella took that to mean NOW AND FOREVER SNUGGLE TIME. Mind, this is not a particularly cuddly bunny. I guess now that mom is immobile, the bunny can take advantage.

Mom was worried that Ella was one of those animals that sense impending death. Sorry mom, as much as you feel like dying, your back is not likely to kill you this week.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

I'm so sorry :( You could get her cremated. I have Thumpers ashes on our bedside dresser and god knows how much I miss him.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Condolences. :(

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Uhh, I don't know what happened.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pseudonordic posted:

I'll post back with and update on my rabbit's poop for you guys. :v:

Gave Cilantro the beginning of Day 3 meds and checked her butt. No cecal weirdness or anything stuck in her fur. Guess her poor tummy was out of whack. :(

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I haven't been keeping up with this thread for over a year so I felt the need to stop in and say hi again.

My trio, Lexi (black), Freya (white), and Sputnik (Flemish Giant) are now sharing my place with my girlfriend's pair, Miles (minilop) and Willow (white/grey).

It's been an interesting time with two distinct groups in separate enclosures alternately sharing a common area. However the poop wars are calming down and it hasn't upset the bond between either groups. Constructing the 3 level condo for the pair was also a lot of fun.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Noise Complaint posted:

My trio, Lexi (black), Freya (white), and Sputnik (Flemish Giant) are now sharing my place with my girlfriend's pair, Miles (minilop) and Willow (white/grey).

Spuuuutnik! :love: I want to pet dem ears.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Have bonus Sputnik

Freya

and Miles (feat. bunny tongue)

:)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
god drat dem ears. Please snuggle his ears for me since I cant. Thanks :3:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I did want to let all you guys know, I've been running an IRC channel on SynIRC for house rabbit owners for awhile now. It's pretty active with ~10-15 people at peak hours. Many are people from r/rabbits, some are goons as well. We have some HRS folks, and quite a bit of rabbit knowledge collectively.

For people using IRC clients: irc.synirc.net #rabbits

Direct web chat link: Here (using Mibbit)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

One of our local shelters just rescued these sweethearts.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
If that girl is more than 4 feet all that rabbit is fuckign huge and I want to snuggle it so bad!

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
That rabbit is massive. I want 5! :neckbeard:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mr Confetti posted:

That rabbit is massive. I want 5! :neckbeard:

Well, they've rescued a ton...live near Washington? (they were rescued in California but are headed up there)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I want a giant bun!

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
I am currently in the process of bonding Kirby, my 3 year old lop ear female, with Charlie, an approx 7 month old Dutch male (rescue bun). They have both been spayed and neutered respectively. So far it has been going ok after two dates, but Charlie is continually trying to assert dominance. I haven't seen anything overly aggressive from either rabbit, but Kirby has thumped once on the 1st date and once on the 2nd. We are letting him do it for a few seconds and then brushing him away, but he keeps doing it to whatever part of Kirby is closest (why is it always the face?!?) He is also pulling out fur from her when he does it. She doesn't appear to be in pain or discomfort, and we can't see any bite marks but it is concerning. Is this normal? What can we do to help them bond? For reference, he was neutered about 1 month ago and were told his hormone levels should have calmed down by now. Is this true?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Fur ripping isn't a good sign, generally. Thumping in and of itself doesn't mean much, it's an all purpose "I'm annoyed". Face humping is definitely a dominance thing. Is Kirby growling or releasing a bad odor (trust me, you'll know)?

As for bonding, you can try putting them in a situation that neither is comfortable with. Putting them on the floor of a bathroom could work, or a dry tub. Feeding them together can help as well.

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008
I think she growled, it's not a noise I have heard her make before, and a slighly odd odour, but not too smelly.

Why would a bathroom floor or tub work?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TheCrushinator posted:

I think she growled, it's not a noise I have heard her make before, and a slighly odd odour, but not too smelly.

It's not home territory for either of them.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I need to find a bun sitter (and the kitten) for a week in May.

My boyfriend and I are going on a cruise for 7 days and we live far enough from our families for them not to be able help. Bunny Hass is due for a vet visit on March 1st so i can ask them about pet sitting then, but I'm just really nervous right now.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

TheCrushinator posted:

Not familiar territory and also slick floors suck for bunnies so they won't get enough traction to actually fight very well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Just another day in the living room.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 27, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I thought for a second the dog was a bunch of stuffing your bunny pulled out of a cushion.

I would not have been surprised if it was the case.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

grack posted:

I thought for a second the dog was a bunch of stuffing your bunny pulled out of a cushion.

Woah. Didn't even notice the dog.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trabisnikof posted:

Woah. Didn't even notice the dog.

We hardly do either. He's slowed down in his later years, which we did not think possible. Somehow, he's gotten even lazier.

Max is such a good boy though, he just wants the other animals to respect his space. Ella (the rabbit) at the edge of the envelope there, any closer and he'll give the rabbit or cats a grumble.

grack posted:

Max would be heartbroken if anyone broke his cushion.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

I have a question about my rabbit regarding his behavior. I've had him for almost three months, and by now he's very used to me. He rarely grunts or stomps his foot at me anymore unless he just feels like being left alone, and when I let him out around my room he no longer runs away from me or gets nervous with me walking passed him. So for the most part, I think we are getting along great so far (I know we have a ways to go), however whenever I pick him up he does this thing where he digs furiously at me and nips my shirt. This wouldn't bother me, but most of the time he gets my skin along with my shirt, and that just really doesn't feel good. Do any of you know how to put an end to the nipping? I don't mind the digging, it doesn't hurt or ruin my shirts or anything. I'd love to hold him more, but the nipping is awful, especially if he gets my stomach or legs.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

I have a question about my rabbit regarding his behavior. I've had him for almost three months, and by now he's very used to me. He rarely grunts or stomps his foot at me anymore unless he just feels like being left alone, and when I let him out around my room he no longer runs away from me or gets nervous with me walking passed him. So for the most part, I think we are getting along great so far (I know we have a ways to go), however whenever I pick him up he does this thing where he digs furiously at me and nips my shirt. This wouldn't bother me, but most of the time he gets my skin along with my shirt, and that just really doesn't feel good. Do any of you know how to put an end to the nipping? I don't mind the digging, it doesn't hurt or ruin my shirts or anything. I'd love to hold him more, but the nipping is awful, especially if he gets my stomach or legs.

Some bunnies tolerate being picked up, some don't. Cilantro does not like being picked up at all. Sounds like your bun is the same.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Anyone have any tips on keeping a rabbit out from under a couch, other than stuffing tons of poo poo under there?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Some rabbits simply don't tolerate being picked up, no matter how much they like you.

monsieur fatso posted:

Anyone have any tips on keeping a rabbit out from under a couch, other than stuffing tons of poo poo under there?

Stuff tons of poo poo under there.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

monsieur fatso posted:

Usually I jam a bunch of throw pillows under/behind ours when I let my bunnies hop around the living room. Then when they go back to their prison I can just pull them right back out. Depends on how high of a clearance you have underneath though.

Edit: Oh, and here are my said husbun and wife, Scout and Doki!

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It's been a while since I posted in this thread since Idi died, but I'm back home in America visiting my family and I've found a pretty uncomfortable situation. My stepmother got this idea to breed rabbits and spent several thousand dollars turning my sister's bedroom into a menagerie for six white Holland lops. They're cute.

Then she somehow ended up adding seven mini-rexes to the herd for a grand total of 13 rabbits, all of them intact and ready to breed and therefore assholes. The situation is untenable and she's at least agreed to get rid of the mini-rexes. I've contacted the Humane Society and they're willing to take them, but my stepmother refuses to let me bring them there because she thinks they'll kill them or come and inspect her house (which is now a nightmare world of spilled bedding and rabbit poo poo everywhere).

It's a longshot, but does anyone in northern Nevada or even as far away as the bay area want to adopt a rabbit? They're all very cute and for the most part have good personalities, but I don't know how long that will last. They're all being kept in rather small cages, the Holland lops certainly don't have enough room to hop more than once, and they only get out for a few hours of outdoor time every 2 or 3 days, since most of them can't be outside together because they're intact.

My biggest worry is that they don't get fed nearly as much as I thought rabbits needed to be fed. I made sure Idi had a constant supply of hay, but my stepmother just gives them a bowl of pellets once a day and they never eat hay at all. Still, they've survived for the three months I've been here so I guess they're okay with that.

Alternatively, maybe some of you folks in the area know of some rabbit sanctuaries? I found three online within three hours' drive, but I called them all and they told me they're either full or not doing the rabbit thing anymore.

Reading this thread it seems like most of you are UK goons so I'm not sure if I can get much help from you, but if nothing else I vented about this situation. It's bad for everyone. The rabbits aren't in a good situation, my sister lost her bedroom and has to sleep with her parents, and I never want to go to the house I grew up in because it stinks to high heaven from a battalion of thirteen intact rabbits.