Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

The only lower tech and largely full proof method is to plug your computer directly into your television. That way you can watch any format your computer can handle. I haven't done that in years so I'm not sure what's involved these days but it's probably a lot easier than when I last did it.

Factually there seem to be dozens and dozens of devices intended to do just what I want. I was hoping for some input on which were worth while investments. I can hook my desktop up via s-video cable, but that's not a solution I am interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Do you guys have suggestions for the best way of sharing a NAS video library with an iPad?

I have a linux NAS/HTPC downloading and playing media which is just slightly underpowered for real time 720p transcoding. I currently have both XBMC and Plex set up. On my Android phone direct playback through Plex is fine but transcoding only really works for SD content. I haven't tested Plex for iOS yet.

I'm starting to wonder if scripting automatic transcoding to an iPad compatible codec after download - to allow direct streaming through Plex - might be the best option. I don't really know much about iDevice codec support these days. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone out there has a Plex pass - does it get you much? File caching would be nice, but not sure it's worth $75.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

DashingGentleman posted:

Do you guys have suggestions for the best way of sharing a NAS video library with an iPad?

I have a linux NAS/HTPC downloading and playing media which is just slightly underpowered for real time 720p transcoding. I currently have both XBMC and Plex set up. On my Android phone direct playback through Plex is fine but transcoding only really works for SD content. I haven't tested Plex for iOS yet.

I'm starting to wonder if scripting automatic transcoding to an iPad compatible codec after download - to allow direct streaming through Plex - might be the best option. I don't really know much about iDevice codec support these days. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone out there has a Plex pass - does it get you much? File caching would be nice, but not sure it's worth $75.

I've had really good luck with Air Video HD. It never ceases to amaze me how good it looks on remote wifi at a friends house (sent to their Apple TV from my iOS device). Also it seems to do some sort of magic to get video on my iPhone even with the shittiest of cell service.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's some players that can play random formats over the network. I just bought Infuse the other day and it seems to work well, but the UI is pretty barebones, like it doesn't seem to read metadata or do searching. nPlayer is another one I've heard about but haven't tried it myself. Both are $5, there's probably some free ones or trial apps out there too.

Depending on your iPad you might be limited cause the 720p, like my iPad mini (A5) can't play some HD DVR files while my iPhone 5 (A6) plays them no problem. It'll vary by codec too, but basically if you have an older device you might need to transcode anyways.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Legdiian posted:

I've had really good luck with Air Video HD. It never ceases to amaze me how good it looks on remote wifi at a friends house (sent to their Apple TV from my iOS device). Also it seems to do some sort of magic to get video on my iPhone even with the shittiest of cell service.

Looks good, but the server appears to be Mac/Win only and I'm on Linux.

japtor posted:

Depending on your iPad you might be limited cause the 720p, like my iPad mini (A5) can't play some HD DVR files while my iPhone 5 (A6) plays them no problem. It'll vary by codec too, but basically if you have an older device you might need to transcode anyways.

It's an iPad Air. I've tried out a free/trial UPnP client and most files seem to play very well, so I think Plex might do the trick. Only their recent major update has pages upon pages of one star reviews so I might hold off until they deal with that.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

DashingGentleman posted:

Looks good, but the server appears to be Mac/Win only and I'm on Linux.

Ah. The old version (Air Video) used to support a Linux server. Looks like they haven't updated the new (Air Video HD) version of the app for Linux yet.

I've been using it for years and it's worked very well for me. You may want to give the original version of the app a try until they update the new app.

http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Not sure if this is the right place but cant find an audio for TV thread...

Whats the best soundbar / speaker set up for >150? Its for my gf's apartment so she doesn't need big base or terrific volume.

Bluetooth would be awesome as well so we can stream music/podcasts although several reviews I saw said soundbars are pretty bad for actual music listening.

False fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 17, 2013

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 13, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Depends on which MacBook and adapter. Apple didn't do output audio through MDP originally so earlier models don't do it, and older adapters didn't support it either. Ask over in the Mac hardware thread over in SHSC since people there have more experience with it.

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 22, 2013

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 13, 2017

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
Plex/Roku question. Googling is getting me nothing but responses from last year or earlier saying "we're working on it".

I have Plex media server setup on my desktop and it works wonderfully and all that, but I'm frustrated that I can't create a group within my Movies section for all the Bond films. Is there a way to make this happen for this and other movie series? It's really cluttering up the library.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

What BluRay player should I get? Are Sony generally preferred over Samsung--which has more apps? We generally use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and HBOGo if that helps. Around or under $75 is ideal.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GregNorc posted:

So once again, my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2010 model) is refusing to send audio over HDMI to my hdtv.

It's an older model Sony Bravia.

I'm using a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable.

I zapped the PRAM and it helped once. I tried that again, no go. Also reset the SMC, still no go.

Is there something I'm missing, that could cause this issue? I click option, select output to tv, and the internal speakers are all that play.

It worked fine the one night after resetting the pram so I'm really weirded out as to what could be the issue...

Are you turning the TV on before or after you make your HDMI connection?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Carl Seitan posted:

What BluRay player should I get? Are Sony generally preferred over Samsung--which has more apps? We generally use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and HBOGo if that helps. Around or under $75 is ideal.

I can't say which is best but I bought a Sony S3100 for xmas and am very happy with it so far. It has Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and a bunch of other apps but I'm not sure about HBO. The remote has buttons for netlix and SEN. Actually the remote is my only complaint, the Home button is next to pause and a couple times I've accidentally exited the video when I only meant to pause. I was a little concerned about wifi reception but it's very strong. Blurays start quickly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Similarly, I bought a Samsung BD-F5900 and have been extremely happy with it. I use it with the main streaming names with basically no fuss. I'd double-check any player you pick as for HBO support, not sure how widespread that is. There's a button to jump straight to netflix on the remote, player doesn't even have to be on, you just mash that red button and a minute later netflix is up. Works well with my tv and receiver, which are samsung and onkyo respectively. Costs a little more than your specified price range, but the software is likely to be mostly the same across devices from a single manufacturer.

My old LG bluray player was absolute dog poo poo, stay away from that.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I just recently bought a Samsung Smart TV and it's my first HD TV (I usually use a monitor for watching HD stuff). There's no satellite or cable in my house so we have a digital TV tuner with antenna still. The problem is I'm still using composite cables with the tuner since it lacks an HDMI port. Any suggestions for tuners with HDMI?

Actually I think the better question is, should I even bother? Are there enough HD channels being broadcasted over-the-air?

Eddain fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 15, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Go to a website like this one and find out for yourself! If you're in a populated area, you might be surprised at how many channels are available, and in HD, too. Bonus, it'll even tell you where to aim your antenna.

e: That particular site doesn't seem to differentiate HD signals, but I know there are some others that do.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Try http://tvfool.com too.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Now I'm having this issue where my Samsung Smart TV isn't picking up all the channels that my old SDTV used to. I know it's a matter of antenna placement and its ability to catch various signals, but would it be a bad move to invest in a digital antenna like a Mohu Leaf or something? I'm using rabbit ears with a loop amplifier right now.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
There's no such thing as a "digital" antenna, although I guess a Leaf might be better optimized for the ATSC channel range. Are the rabbit ears the same ones you've been using? Is it possible to put them in the same position they were in when you had the SDTV? I guess it's possible that your SDTV had a better tuner as well but it's hard to say for sure.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
What's the current state of consumer projectors? A long time ago I had an InFocus projector and a DA-Lite screen and I loved it, but I sold the setup when I moved into a small apartment.

Now I'm back in a big house but I haven't really kept up with projector tech over the last few years. Is there a good value model these days for 1080p content? Anything to avoid or look for? I'd be using it for gaming and movies.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Eddain posted:

Now I'm having this issue where my Samsung Smart TV isn't picking up all the channels that my old SDTV used to. I know it's a matter of antenna placement and its ability to catch various signals, but would it be a bad move to invest in a digital antenna like a Mohu Leaf or something? I'm using rabbit ears with a loop amplifier right now.

If you don't have an amplified antenna, you may try buying an in-line amplifier at the hardware store (or via Amazon). They usually run ~$20, and you can just return it if it doesn't solve your problem.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Is the WDTV still the best out-of-box option for quickly and easily being able to play videos over a network? I tried using a Roku + Plex, but ran into hiccups and really didn't want to spend my winter vacation diagnosing technical issues.

This is for my parents, so it needs to be something that they can set up once and not worry about having to configure it again. I have a WDTV Live myself and while I like it, I remember liking XBMC (on the original Xbox) a lot better.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Most likely, although I've found Media Browser 3 to be a spectacular alternate option and supports Roku. The downside is that you'll need to have a PC capable of running the server side application. If they already have a Roku, that may be worth investigating.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hey all, I have a weird problem I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on. I have a 60" LG Plasma with all the video coming over HDMI through the soundbar subwoofer through the wall. The box is just below the television. Those three inputs (all HDMI) then go back into the wall through Amazon basics cables to my basement and into extenders to another HDMI back upstairs into my closet where my cable box is. I rerouted one back into the basement to my htpc some time ago so there's only two in there right now and just the cable box (mid 2000s Motorola DVR).

Everything has been working perfect until today. For some reason the standard definition channels don't work properly. The video and audio cuts in and out and turns many colors, predominantly pink. The high definition channels work just fine. The htpc works perfect. I tried switching the cable to the unused over in the closet to no avail. I grabbed a known working DVR (same model) from my basement and the problem persists. I set up the original box in the basement and works perfectly.

Any ideas on what I should be troubleshooting? It's an oddly specific problem. I plan to run an HDMI straight from the closet to both the television and the soundbar. As I type this I realize I also should switch the input I'm using on the soundbar.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I bought a Black Magic Cinema Camera and it came with a copy of Davinci Resolve 9. Can I install it on multiple computers?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I bought a Black Magic Cinema Camera and it came with a copy of Davinci Resolve 9. Can I install it on multiple computers?

Read the license. The answer is probably "legally, no, but I doubt it will stop you, but that's :filez:, so, legally no."

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

SIHappiness posted:

Read the license. The answer is probably "legally, no, but I doubt it will stop you, but that's :filez:, so, legally no."

Cool thanks. I know certain programs will give you a limited number of computers you can install it on with permission.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Hey guys, I want to run a hdmi cable from my computer to my tv. It'll be about 30 feet. Do I need to worry about what hdmi cable I get at this length? It's just going to run along the wall next to an ethernet cable.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Hey guys, I want to run a hdmi cable from my computer to my tv. It'll be about 30 feet. Do I need to worry about what hdmi cable I get at this length? It's just going to run along the wall next to an ethernet cable.

There's no "maximum length" spec or anything of the sort, but past about 15 or so feet is when you have to start actually worrying about the construction of the cable. The good news is that past about 15 or so feet, the cable will likely be built better anyway. If you find something that's a fraction of the price of all of the rest of the reasonably priced cables (not Monster and the like), I'd be suspicious, but otherwise you'll be fine.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

havenwaters posted:

I am currently using a couple of these in my house and have had zero problems.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just be advised that redmere cables are directional. They still support ARC and all that, so you're not actually losing any functionality, but you do have to be sure to plug the right end into the right device.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I asked over in the Windows software thread, but a forum search suggested I might also be able to get an answer here. If I'm wrong, and if there's a better place to ask than the Windows software thread, please let me know.

I'm trying to make a Blu-ray movie disc, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've got a Windows 7 box with a Blu-ray burner and a BD-RE disc all ready to go; I'm just not sure what software will suit my needs. I'm looking for something where I can basically shovel video files in (ideally AVS files so I don't have to make huge intermediary encodes) and get a disc out that I can play on any Blu-ray player. I don't need a bunch of fancy menus or anything, just insert disc, get video. I'd also prefer a cheap option. Any thoughts?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Carl Seitan posted:

It's a few months late to your post, but I think Wal-marts have the Sony S5100 in stores for only $80 on sale right now. Not sure if it's in all markets at that price or how long they're at that price. I grabbed one but I'm not too sure if I want to bother opening it up or take it back.

You might try Target, too. I saw one near me had a lot of Panasonic "DMP-BD79" (I think) marked down to $38 on clearance. It only wired connection, Hulu+, Netflix and Youtube, if I remember.

Is there a good site that keeps tabs of what apps are on every streaming device out there? It's frustrating that when I even go to the manufacturer websites it just says, "Netflix, and MANY MORE!"

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Looking for something pocket sized to record 1080p video that isn't my cellphone. What are the good choices?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

the posted:

Looking for something pocket sized to record 1080p video that isn't my cellphone. What are the good choices?
Maybe a GoPro? Otherwise if you want stuff like a screen to see exactly what you're shooting, maybe one of these (DP Review search filtered down to ultra compact and 1080p recording).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The latest rev of the gopro will stream a live feed to your phone (or at least some of them will...I don't recall the specifics.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Is there a recommended streaming-service device? I'm looking for something for my grandparents that can do both amazon prime and netflix with HD out. Ideally it would have an option to be controlled by an ipad too because I'm trying to keep the remotes to a minimum.

• Locked thread