Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

The book is great, your memory seems to be faulty.
I have no doubt it's great but a) is first chapter supposed to be 'weird' and b) will there be any reminders of book 1 events and stuff is what I'm asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

mallamp posted:

I have no doubt it's great but a) is first chapter supposed to be 'weird' and b) will there be any reminders of book 1 events and stuff is what I'm asking?

No, the first chapter mirrors the first chapter of the first book from a different perspective. And Jasnah was a major character in the first book, so if you're having trouble remembering who she is, you're not going to start having an easier time later.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

mallamp posted:

There are a lot of reminders of book 1 events, I think you'll be fine. The prologue contains a lot of stuff that isn't relevant at all yet and the first Shallan's chapters are worldbuilding infodumps.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I spent all night finishing the book and I regret nothing. There are not enough uses of :allears: to explain how I felt when...

Kaladin and Adolin went pro wrestling on everyone. That was the single most pro wrestlingish chapter I've ever seen in a fantasy novel, and I say that fondly. "Oh no! The evil opponent team has used a loophole to surround our hero! He's getting defeated! He's outnumbered! He's--OH MY GOD IT'S KALADIN HOGAN! He's Kaladining up! The Mega Powers are cleaning house! They made them tap out! They made them tap out! What's that? They want the mic now? They are challenging Sadeas! And Amaram! THE CROWD GOES WILD!

Seriously, I think this is the closest I've ever gotten to "marking out" while reading a book. I just had the silliest grin on my face the entire time like "Yes. This is what I read fantasy for." :allears: :allears: Like seriously, I could almost imagine Kaladin having a theme song or something that just started playing when he leaped into the arena. It was just so amazingly silly in the best way possible and I loved every goddamn second of it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Hopeford posted:

I spent all night finishing the book and I regret nothing. There are not enough uses of :allears: to explain how I felt when...

Kaladin and Adolin went pro wrestling on everyone. That was the single most pro wrestlingish chapter I've ever seen in a fantasy novel, and I say that fondly. "Oh no! The evil opponent team has used a loophole to surround our hero! He's getting defeated! He's outnumbered! He's--OH MY GOD IT'S KALADIN HOGAN! He's Kaladining up! The Mega Powers are cleaning house! They made them tap out! They made them tap out! What's that? They want the mic now? They are challenging Sadeas! And Amaram! THE CROWD GOES WILD!

Seriously, I think this is the closest I've ever gotten to "marking out" while reading a book. I just had the silliest grin on my face the entire time like "Yes. This is what I read fantasy for." :allears: :allears: Like seriously, I could almost imagine Kaladin having a theme song or something that just started playing when he leaped into the arena. It was just so amazingly silly in the best way possible and I loved every goddamn second of it.

That was definitely my favorite action scene in the book. One of my favorites in the book, actually.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

api call girl posted:

Patterns of stormlight: uh, those patterns are pretty obviously caused by the different styles of mounts on the gems, and are only used as a means to read which types of sprens are being captured by the individual gems in the bracelet. Nothing on the scale of actual "magic" being done by the shapes/patterns of stormlight.

quote:

Patterns of stormlight filtered through the fabrial determine the power of the gem

I think that's pretty straightforward.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
So, here's a question...

Cosmere/End of WoR: Will Nightblood still require breath specifically on Roshar, or will Stormlight substitute perfectly? I'm greatly assuming it will, since introducing breath collection into Roshar would be... stupid. But this leads to a second question-- does it work the other way? That is, if someone took a cut gemheart to Nalthis (Warbreaker world), would they be able to absorb breath from it and gain massive amounts of replenishable* heightening? And if so... what prevents any regular joe on Roshar from learning how to do the same, given that literally everyone on Nalthis can do it without having to be imbued by something like Larasium.

*Well, replenishable if you're a worldhopper...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The scene where Stormfather told Dalinar he had to go because "a daughter is disobeying" made me do a nerdy fist pump because I knew poo poo was about to go down in the next chapter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

So, here's a question...

Cosmere/End of WoR: Will Nightblood still require breath specifically on Roshar, or will Stormlight substitute perfectly? I'm greatly assuming it will, since introducing breath collection into Roshar would be... stupid. But this leads to a second question-- does it work the other way? That is, if someone took a cut gemheart to Nalthis (Warbreaker world), would they be able to absorb breath from it and gain massive amounts of replenishable* heightening? And if so... what prevents any regular joe on Roshar from learning how to do the same, given that literally everyone on Nalthis can do it without having to be imbued by something like Larasium.

*Well, replenishable if you're a worldhopper...

It's been confirmed at one of the signings that nightblood eats whatever investiture the user has, including their 'spark of life', so stormlight is fine.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Tunicate posted:

It's been confirmed at one of the signings that nightblood eats whatever investiture the user has, including their 'spark of life', so stormlight is fine.

Following on from that, can we assume that Vasher as a Returned from Nalthis can use Stormlight in place of the breaths he has to consume each week in order to remain alive?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fezz posted:

Following on from that, can we assume that Vasher as a Returned from Nalthis can use Stormlight in place of the breaths he has to consume each week in order to remain alive?

That's my guess. Makes sense he'd want to kick back somewhere that he doesn't need to eat souls to survive.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm pretty eager to see a mix of a (Cosmere speculation) Radiant and Nicrosil Feruchemist - Nicrosil stores Investiture. Though, without compounding, it might not be all that glorious.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mortanis posted:

I'm pretty eager to see a mix of a (Cosmere speculation) Radiant and Nicrosil Feruchemist - Nicrosil stores Investiture. Though, without compounding, it might not be all that glorious.

I get the feeling Hoid is well on his way there. At the very least he has acquired a bead of lerasium (giving full mistborn powers), and he has enough breaths from the Warbreaker world to achieve perfect pitch. He may also have swiped Taln's honorblade in this book.

It's a popular theory that he's writing the Ars Arcanums at the end of the various books. If so you get the impression that his goal is to master the powers of as many worlds as possible. The Lord Ruler was able to achieve immortality by combining just two magic systems, who knows what crazy poo poo Hoid could accomplish by combining ALL the magical systems. The Ars Arcanum even makes an ominous reference to the special usefulness of hemalurgy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

keiran_helcyan posted:

I get the feeling Hoid is well on his way there. At the very least he has acquired a bead of lerasium (giving full mistborn powers), and he has enough breaths from the Warbreaker world to achieve perfect pitch. He may also have swiped Taln's honorblade in this book.

It's a popular theory that he's writing the Ars Arcanums at the end of the various books. If so you get the impression that his goal is to master the powers of as many worlds as possible. The Lord Ruler was able to achieve immortality by combining just two magic systems, who knows what crazy poo poo Hoid could accomplish by combining ALL the magical systems. The Ars Arcanum even makes an ominous reference to the special usefulness of hemalurgy.

The only reason I have to doubt the theory that hoid's writing ars arcanums is that he's a feruchemist, so the information on feruchemy shouldn't be incomplete. Word of Brandon is that it's either Hoid or a member of the seventeenth shard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I can't imagine how loving crazy the Cosmere stuff is going to get when the various magic systems start mixing in earnest.

They all get pretty ridiculous on their own, but if you start having Mistborn invest stormlight so a feruchemist can compound it and feed it to their sentient sword and then plug that into a fabrial so you have a self-aware machine that can absorb breath to create a suit of armor out of bedsheets and

goddamn

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Tunicate posted:

That's my guess. Makes sense he'd want to kick back somewhere that he doesn't need to eat souls to survive.

As far as I've heard it, in Warbreaker, a Breath really isn't a 'soul' - it's an extra bit of investiture from whichever Shard hangs out on that world - presumably a human without a Breath is the same as a normal human anywhere else, but since everyone is born with one, losing a Breath is like suddenly becoming colorblind after seeing color for most of your life, or suddenly losing your sense of taste when eating food - you've had this extra vibrancy to your senses for your entire life so it became normal to you, and as such losing it is somewhat traumatic. And apparently they boost your immune system and make you healthier, so presumably you can become sickly because suddenly something your immune system depended on is gone. It also makes it not quite as unethical to be collecting hundreds/thousands of them, and for a Returned to be actually consuming them, compared to human souls.

Still, the main problem with that world is the fact that the only time a Breath is created is when someone is born, and a single Breath seems to be almost insignificant considering how many you need do anything that matters. Stormlight is ridiculously generous in comparison - the place is probably practically a paradise for worldhoppers, especially since Stormlight seems to be pure, raw, energy that's extremely easy to collect in large amounts instead of requiring a lot of ritual or effort or specific inborn talents to either collect or use like most of the other worlds we've seen.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 8, 2014

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm so loving depressed now, that was an amazing read. I don't want it to be over. :(

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pretty neat book. The whole series is going to be so drastically different from here on out. I'll miss the shattered plains.

Reviving Jasnah was pretty lame and If Kaladin/Shallan becomes the series main romance I'll throw up. I'm thrilled about Sadeas' end, that character had no where left to go.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Pretty neat book. The whole series is going to be so drastically different from here on out. I'll miss the shattered plains.

Reviving Jasnah was pretty lame and If Kaladin/Shallan becomes the series main romance I'll throw up. I'm thrilled about Sadeas' end, that character had no where left to go.

Though it gives us the EXCELLENT (paraphrased) exchange between Wit and Jasnah at the end:

"I gotta get back, the Desolation is coming, Voidbringers"

"Already happened"

"drat. Ok we have to find Urithiru"

"Shallan found it"

"poo poo. Ok, we have to refound the Knights Radiant"

"Yeah, she did that too"

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I wouldn't mind if Kaladin and Shallan became the main romantic pairing because they nullify each other's worst qualities. Kaladin can't listen to Simple Plan when she is around and Shallan doesn't get to try to think she's witty when he's around. I mean speaking purely for the characters, that would be one toxic relationship--but hell it would be kind of funny.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Kaladin still has to fess up that it was him who killed her brother, though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Augster posted:

Kaladin still has to fess up that it was him who killed her brother, though.

It kind of seemed like they both knew just neither would bring it up to the other.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

End of book stuff I'm glad Adolin said "gently caress this" and straight up murdered Sadeas. Given the revival of the two other main deaths - which I'm okay with as long as it doesn't become a reoccurring thing for all important characters - it was nice to see someone get straight up dead-ed. A knife to the brain should do the trick.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Donkey posted:

My only problem with this book is that Sanderson planted the seeds of a love triangle, and now every time I go looking for plot theories in the next few years I'm going to have to wade through pages and pages of "Team Shaladin" or "Team Kadolin" or whatever.

Or he could go full WoT and have a romantic three-way between them. He already resolved Kal's distaste for Adolin, and they seem to actually kinda like each other now :allears:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Read it, loved it, want book 3 ASAP

End of book spoilers

I know Lopen says some of his cousins just call him The Lopen but he calls himself that, somethings up.

I wonder if Shallan "killed" Pattern before when she repressed her memories of what happened to her mother and she had to begin the process again this book.

Looks like Tanavast splintered Honour to fight Odium and Rayse did the same in response or visa versa. Would explain why Odium is still on Roshar, I wonder if its endgame is to get put back together and get off Roshar, might be why Wit was warning Dalinar they are not entirely on the same side.

Taravingian also implied that there were major Odiumspren up to stuff, wonder if they work together or are deliberately independent.

Was wondering if Sadeus was going to end up Odium's Champion, Adolin headed that one off at the past, good on him, Sadeus's prickishness earned a good stabbing.

Bondsmiths apparently were drat rare (3 at most?), makes sense if Dalinar had to bond one of the most powerful Spren to become one. You also totally know at some point in book 9 or 10 Dalinar is going to get the Stormfather to turn into a Shardblade when poo poo gets real.

I liked that the parallels between Dalinar and Kaladin were a big part of the theme of the book and its about Kaladin realising who Elokhar is to Dalinar.

Liked the Jasnah thing, never believed she died and Shallan needed the room to grow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

As far as I've heard it, in Warbreaker, a Breath really isn't a 'soul' - it's an extra bit of investiture from whichever Shard hangs out on that world - presumably a human without a Breath is the same as a normal human anywhere else, but since everyone is born with one, losing a Breath is like suddenly becoming colorblind after seeing color for most of your life, or suddenly losing your sense of taste when eating food - you've had this extra vibrancy to your senses for your entire life so it became normal to you, and as such losing it is somewhat traumatic. And apparently they boost your immune system and make you healthier, so presumably you can become sickly because suddenly something your immune system depended on is gone. It also makes it not quite as unethical to be collecting hundreds/thousands of them, and for a Returned to be actually consuming them, compared to human souls.

Well, they're more of... soul chunks, I guess. I remember hearing that people from other worlds appear normal, and not like drabs, but I have no idea where.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Well, they're more of... soul chunks, I guess. I remember hearing that people from other worlds appear normal, and not like drabs, but I have no idea where.

So basically people without Breath are kinda like Parshmen in this series?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

So basically people without Breath are kinda like Parshmen in this series?

I wouldn't go quite that far, but... sorta. I kinda want to lump Lifeless, Parshmen, and Mistwraiths together as all the same kind of almost-sentient thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

rafikki posted:

Or he could go full WoT and have a romantic three-way between them. He already resolved Kal's distaste for Adolin, and they seem to actually kinda like each other now :allears:

Next book Kaladin strikes up a relationship with a beautiful dark eyed woman named Veil

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

rafikki posted:

The fourth ideal of the knights Radiant:

Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before destination.
Bros before hoes.

'The words, Kaladin!' screamed Syl.

"I will not flirt with my bro's fiance."

[Kaladin goes super saiyan]

(I'm so sorry for this post. It sounded much funnier in my head.)

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 8, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I was wandering around the coppermind, and found that Hemalurgy could potentially be used to steal a shardblade. Perhaps Hoid can do this, and this is how he takes Talns honorblade? Mind you, honorblades are different to regular shardblades, perhaps meant to be shareable, so maybe he just took it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I was wandering around the coppermind, and found that Hemalurgy could potentially be used to steal a shardblade. Perhaps Hoid can do this, and this is how he takes Talns honorblade? Mind you, honorblades are different to regular shardblades, perhaps meant to be shareable, so maybe he just took it.

Ehm, difficult to believe. Wouldn't somebody have noticed if Hoid had stabbed Taln with some spike (and impaled himself with it)?

Call me naive, but why do so many people assume that Taln doesn't have his honourblade anymore? Perhaps he simply bonded it and dismissed it? After all, in the prelude in WoK both Kalak and Jezerian summon their blade so they don't/shouldn't have to permanently lug it around unbounded.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure there's some other way to grab it. Honorblades apparently don't bind in the same way that shardblades do, and it's possible that Taln is insane enough that there isn't a real connection left.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Yeah, I do think it is pretty unlikely. If it were to be a major plot point Sanderson probably wouldn't have answered the question the way he did. Just because it is possible, doesn't mean it happens.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I just remembered, early on in the book someone had a vision of A body with another body behind it, and a chisel being pounded through their face. Does that mean we might see Steel Inquisitors at some point?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

I just remembered, early on in the book someone had a vision of A body with another body behind it, and a chisel being pounded through their face. Does that mean we might see Steel Inquisitors at some point?

Pretty sure that it's just the lady we saw in the first book destroying statues. Who most people think is Shallash.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, it's just tragic to consider that it's going to be decades before Stormlight is finished with the one book every two years pattern going on, since SA 3 is apparently going to be released in 2016. And that's not even considering any big epic that ties all the Cosmere books together that might begin during or after it. Not blaming him, just agonizing over the wait, hah.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 9, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

Man, it's just tragic to consider that it's going to be decades before Stormlight is finished with the one book every two years pattern going on, since SA 3 is apparently going to be released in 2016. And that's not even considering any big epic that ties all the Cosmere books together that might begin during or after it. Not blaming him, just agonizing over the wait, hah.

SA 3 is apparently planned for late next year. Alloy of Law 2 is getting bumped back. The new order is rithmatist 2, SA 3, Alloy 2.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Excellent book, wanted to chime in on something. Has any one noted the similarity of the Diagram faction to the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov (science fiction). In the Foundation, a brilliant mathematician created psychohistory which could be used to predict the future. Then, Hari Seldon created an organization called Foundation to execute his plan to save a remnant of humanity from a predicted galactic collapse. Of course, the Foundation were the "good guys" in Asimov's book, as opposed to the "bad guys" in Words of Radiance."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Excellent book, wanted to chime in on something. Has any one noted the similarity of the Diagram faction to the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov (science fiction). In the Foundation, a brilliant mathematician created psychohistory which could be used to predict the future. Then, Hari Seldon created an organization called Foundation to execute his plan to save a remnant of humanity from a predicted galactic collapse. Of course, the Foundation were the "good guys" in Asimov's book, as opposed to the "bad guys" in Words of Radiance."

I don't think that the Diagram faction is going to end up as absolute 'bad guys' per se - Odium and his lackeys are obviously the true enemy. They're ruthless enough that they will probably end up opposing the main characters a lot, but in the end they too are trying to save the world, and not out of any greed or malice, and they have a plan written by what was possibly written by what was possibly the smartest person to ever exist in the entire cosmere who was at least partially informed by all the prophecies from the death rattles - there's a good chance that the Diagram will play a huge part in saving the world. Hell, in a way, their machinations that attempted to followed that pattern set up the events allowing Kaladin/Shallan/Dalinar to become Knights Radiant in the right place and the right time, and the Diagram even said that it would happen - It's possible that the people just following it weren't smart enough to fully understand what the plan in the Diagram was actually supposed to accomplish, and how.