Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Combine planters on a south facing deck with an automated watering system and you're golden. Add an inline fertilizer and plant everything in May, adjust the watering amounts over the season and come back in August for a haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cowofwar posted:

Combine planters on a south facing deck with an automated watering system and you're golden. Add an inline fertilizer and plant everything in May, adjust the watering amounts over the season and come back in August for a haul.

What's an "inline fertilizer" ?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Kilersquirrel posted:

Try hitting up pizza and burger joints; feta cheese, pickles, and banana peppers come in 5-gallon buckets. Pretty much anything that is brined will come in them, so anywhere that goes through a lot of olives is a good bet as well.

Supermarket delis too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

So this winter is lasting a lot longer than it should here in NC. Is anyone else adjusting their outdoor planting times to accommodate for this? We're suppose to get more freezing rain on Tuesday :psyduck:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Breaky posted:

Gonna guess something in line with the automatic watering system that injects some liquid fertilizer in it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Alterian posted:

So this winter is lasting a lot longer than it should here in NC. Is anyone else adjusting their outdoor planting times to accommodate for this? We're suppose to get more freezing rain on Tuesday :psyduck:

My parents live in Marshall (about 30 mins from Asheville) and my mom just started seed last week for tomatoes. So I don't think they're planting anything yet.

My wife and I have the garden mostly laid out. Tomorrow I'm supposed to put all the irrigation in and start planting things, we'll see how much actually gets done. I may have to sacrifice some watermelon space for tomatoes.

Anybody ever tried multiplying or top set onions? I'm thinking about buying some bulbs online but they are a little pricey at heirloomonions.com. Any experiences?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is there any reason why you can't simply use onions purchased from the grocery store as starter for the next crop?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alterian posted:

When planning stuff out in November I was expecting to be planting outside (in Boston) in 2 weeks... Seeing as it's forecasted for light snowfall tonight. Yah...

I have only just today started seeding my tomatoes. Peppers were seeded long ago but I'm not worried about them getting too big.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

dwoloz posted:

Anyone know what would cause this on scarlet runner beans. I have a row of 8 plants and they are all exhibiting these symptoms.

The new growth starts out fine but then forms yellow veins and then looks sunburnt and dies

I just passed an illustration in a book of a plant with green leaves and yellow veins and it was described as weed killer damage.

Cimber posted:

Is there any reason why you can't simply use onions purchased from the grocery store as starter for the next crop?

Yeah, production onions are for the most part annuals. If you plant it, it will flower and shrink! We tried garlic once, it all got killed by the heat (cause you're supposed to plant in the fall, duh). I've read that some grocery store garlic has been sprayed with sprout inhibitor too. Elephant garlic is technically a multiplying leek, and if it's viable it would multiply in your garden. Of course that gets 6' tall!

http://heirloomonions.com/?page_id=549

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Alterian posted:

I have some form of chinese supermarket terminator cabbage that is actually still thriving in the garden but everything else is on hold pending better weather and some not weather related spare time. This winter has just about killed me, literally.

We have a Bonnie school cabbage from my youngest daughters class that we wanted in the ground by now but I ended up potting it earlier today to keep it from getting root bound. I'm honestly a little scared of the thing. It grows way too fast to be natural and I fear I might end up feeding it drug addicts eventually.

:ohdear:

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
After a half-assed attempt last year to grow some chillies, I've decided to give it a bit more effort this year.

I went out and bought a propagator, some compost and seeds and planted them. I also had a gift kit so I prepared and planted them too. Seeing as I have almost no knowledge of the subject of the art of growing things, and having encountered conflicting advice in some of the sources I've read, I'd like to take the liberty of asking a few dumb questions.

Firstly, Do the seeds need much airflow-wise? Seeing as seeds apparently enjoy constant warmth and moisture, I've closed the air vents on the propagator and they have acquired condensation to the point I cannot see through the dew on the propagator lid, and for the chilli kits I have placed them inside clear plastic bags with a air few holes punched through. I'm unsure if I can overheat them or deprive them of air.

Secondly, I'm concerned how the plants will fare in the less than glorious climate Southern England. The weather can be quite overcast and cool at times which I surmise is not Ideal for chillies, could they still grow in this climate? I think I'll have to put some though into creating a small hobo-greenhouse or something.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think we might get the first rennovated box done today in our garden overhaul. I'm pretty excited. I think I might plant some cabbage and spinach in it. Normally it should have been started a month ago, but it still might be cold enough. Not counting dirt, I managed to spend about $25 per box not including dirt (already have that) and it'll have pvc hoops built in and ready to go (also easily removable) This is the 3rd iteration of the garden we're trying and I think we learned a lot from past mistakes so I think this time its going to work out well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Breaky posted:

There are a lot of different styles, but they all come down to something you put in your irrigation line (or even your watering hose) that injects fertilizer into the irrigation water.

Many of the commercial ones I see are horribly expensive, but have an electric motor that provides a metered amount into the line, not unlike chlorine injectors for well water setups. Many run on the same 24v AC that commercial irrigation valves run on, so you can set up the fertilizer on an unused "zone" and toggle it on/off with the rest of your irrigation system as required.

I've been trying to find just a motor/meter so i can roll my own one of those, but it's all quite expensive.

I'll probably end up making one that's little more than a pressurized spray bottle that you fill with fertilizer, attache to the irrigation line with a check valve, and then pressurize to above your irrigation water pressure and it just.....goes in. Certainly more of a manual process, but probably a better way to apply soluble fertilizer to a large area than to spray with with a hose. This will basically be my Fish Emulsion dispenser.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Dilettante. posted:

After a half-assed attempt last year to grow some chillies, I've decided to give it a bit more effort this year.

I went out and bought a propagator, some compost and seeds and planted them. I also had a gift kit so I prepared and planted them too. Seeing as I have almost no knowledge of the subject of the art of growing things, and having encountered conflicting advice in some of the sources I've read, I'd like to take the liberty of asking a few dumb questions.

Firstly, Do the seeds need much airflow-wise? Seeing as seeds apparently enjoy constant warmth and moisture, I've closed the air vents on the propagator and they have acquired condensation to the point I cannot see through the dew on the propagator lid, and for the chilli kits I have placed them inside clear plastic bags with a air few holes punched through. I'm unsure if I can overheat them or deprive them of air.

Secondly, I'm concerned how the plants will fare in the less than glorious climate Southern England. The weather can be quite overcast and cool at times which I surmise is not Ideal for chillies, could they still grow in this climate? I think I'll have to put some though into creating a small hobo-greenhouse or something.

I grew a bunch of Thai chili last year and am doing another batch this year. I think just inside the propagator would be fine with the air vents closed. I doubt you need the bags around them inside of it. If you have condensation, you are good. Last year I used seeds that were about 5 years old and it took 3 weeks in a propagator until they started growing(36 plants in total eventually grew). This year using seeds from last year's harvest I've got about a dozen(out of 36 again) already growing after a week using the same technique.

Per the instructions on my propagator, they are indoor, out of direct sun, but in a place where they get indirect light throughout the day. I'm about to move the ones that have sprouted to another indoor location where they get some direct sunlight.

As far as growing in England. I don't know about cool, overcast as I am in Southern California, but last years crop I planted most of them where they received only morning sun(east side of house). They grew quite tall, but did produce a good quantity of peppers per plant. Last year I was just concerned with if they would do anything being 5 year old seeds. This year I'm going to experiment more with locations around my yard and see how they grow based on sunlight availability.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Dilettante. posted:

For germinating the seeds you want heat and moisture. Once they have sprouted up then you want airflow to prevent disease and make the plants hardier. Once they've sprouted you can let the top dry out and water it deeply once or twice per week. With some practice feeling the weight after just watering and then every day after should give you and idea of when it needs more water.

Peppers like warm weather a lot. Being exposed to temperatures below 55-60 F can stunt their growth quite a bit so don't put them outside unless you're sure it won't be any colder than that. A greenhouse would be a great idea if you can swing it. My peppers do pretty well in a low poly tunnel (1/2" 10' long PVC bent over two pieces of rebar and covered with plastic sheeting). If you get to the end of the season and a lot of the peppers still aren't ripe you can dig up as much of the root ball as possible into a big pot and bring it inside.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Alterian posted:

We've been getting some pretty nasty swings in Texas. I put out squash and cucumber seeds this week but the temperatures are still getting too low for one or two nights a week for tomatoes and peppers to really do well.

Thankfully there is a big plant sale next weekend so I'll pick up my plants there!

My parents in SC haven't started their garden either because of the cold.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 22, 2014

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I pulled out all the little tomato seedlings I started and haven't even bothered to start any more yet. It's just not quite right yet, maybe at the beginning of April. :(

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This drat hobby... :negative:

After 3 months of work, and a week and a half in the ground, 30% of my peppers are dead. I guess the good news is I planted way more that I'd ever need. I Think I'll head to home depot and check out so pre-sprouted plants to replace them. We already got some tomatoes, and I would like to try some spinach and carrots but I guess those get sewn right into the bed as seed. It is fun to check on them though!

Phoenix seems rough, because by the time we've hit nighttime lows above 55, the daytime sun is just blistering already. The directions say full sunlight but I am not really sure it's good for them at this early growth stage. I also let them get too leggy before transplanting so that didn't help.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

AxeBreaker posted:

I just passed an illustration in a book of a plant with green leaves and yellow veins and it was described as weed killer damage.
Thank you for that. It very well could be. This is the first time I've gardened where I am and I would not be surprised at all if chemicals were used in the past. The new growth is looking alright so I have hope they'll come through. I added more compost as a top dressing.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
With one more completely out of character winter storm on the way for the mid-atlantic, this is waiting for me outside. I'm tired of dealing with sagging nylon netting for trellises, so I used some cheap pieces of pine and free bamboo instead. Even with the snow coming, I might put seeds out tomorrow. The seedlings I've started indoors will have to wait.

Godsavethefritos
Jan 20, 2008
I was wondering if anybody knew some plants that do well in close proximity to Bay Laurel. Maybe some sort of plant used specifically for mulching and ground cover. Trying to take my back yard in the permaculture direction and I just need some advice on things to plant together. I've already got some tomatoes and basil going in one area.

I'm in zone 9 if that helps.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Can I garden on uneven ground?
I'm targeting a patch of land, let's say 15x20 feet.
The slope along the x axis is maybe 5 inches.

Do I need to level it? Should I cut into it and do a full raised bed to ensure that it's level?

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Should grow most things just fine. If you're really worried about erosion you could always build small berms/swales and plant on the tops of them. Or just go nuts and terrace the thing. Small groundcover plants like clover are always an option as well.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Just put a bunch of seeds into peat pellets. In about 4-8 weeks I should have more than I know what to do with if I'm doing this correctly. Hopefully last frost is May 1st-ish like the Almanacs say it should be.

Building raised beds from reclaimed fence posts this year.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Found out a friend and neighbor has an east facing backyard and wanted help with his first garden :getin:

How it looked after laying fallow for a year

How it looks now

Seedlings going in next weekend, as well as a pepiniere so we can have some late season overlap.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Anybody have advice on how to get a large amount of oregano growing outdoors from seed? The seeds are so tiny they are like dust and they don't seem to want to germinate that easily for me.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody have advice on how to get a large amount of oregano growing outdoors from seed? The seeds are so tiny they are like dust and they don't seem to want to germinate that easily for me.

Start a lot indoors and transplant? Once it gets established in a spot that it likes it's nearly as bad as mint.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I'm not even thinking of starting seeds inside yet, average temp is in the upper 30's and nights going down to 20s. Soil will be far too cold for planting until at least mid may.

But i'm starting on getting itchy. Anyone have good early spring veg's to plant in the upper atlantic states area?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cimber posted:

I'm not even thinking of starting seeds inside yet, average temp is in the upper 30's and nights going down to 20s. Soil will be far too cold for planting until at least mid may.

But i'm starting on getting itchy. Anyone have good early spring veg's to plant in the upper atlantic states area?

I'm in MA and I just seeded tomatoes yesterday, peppers a week before. I know I might be overly optimistic. Can't you seed a lot of cabbage and lettuce's as soon as the ground is workable?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm in Boston and I'll be starting a bunch of seeds indoors this week, probably around Wednesday or Thursday.

If the temps warm up, great. If it takes too long to get everything outside, I'll just start another round in a week or two, I've got plenty of seed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm in southern ontario and started my peppers and tomatoes last week. They are just sprouting now. I'm in the midst of starting my perennial flowers and will start my annual flowers next week.

Fast pepper and tomato seed starting guide:

Get a couple sheets of paper towel soaked and wring out the water. Fold up with seeds between the layers and place in a zip lock bag and seal. Place on top of a heating grow mat for a couple days and check for sprouting twice a day (flip the baggies over when you check them so that condensation doesn't accumulate too much), should happen in 2-3 days. Once the seeds have just begun to sprout, fill your 10x20 greenhouse tray inserts with seed starting mix. Use tweezers to dig a 1/4" deep hole in each insert and drop in a germinated seed. Cover with soil and use the back of a screw driver to firm down the soil for each. Use a spray bottle with water to dampen soil sufficiently (not soaked, not dry). Cover with a clear moisture retaining greenhouse tray lid and place on top of warming grow mat until sprouts appear (~3 days for tomatoes, bit longer for peppers). Remove lid and transfer to under 4 foot T4 fluorescence lights (two lights for two trays).

I use the ziplock and damp paper towel to germinate a lot of my seeds that are finicky, that get eaten by animals, or which have a tendency to rot in the ground. Works well and is very fast.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 24, 2014

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\That is almost verbatim how I start seeds. I don't use a Ziploc though, just a piece of Tupperware with the lid just resting on top (not sealed). Cheap shop lights with aquarium/plant bulbs hung with chain off eye bolts in the ceiling.

I'm in MO and I started peppers and tomatillos about 3-4 weeks ago. I have a whole fleet of 3-4 inch plants in peat pots (the tomatillos are more like 6 inches. I don't care how big they get before going outside; I'll just keep transplanting to bigger pots and move them to the laundry room (plenty of space). I started tomatoes a week ago, and I have tiny little 1.5 inch seedlings that are looking good in my seed tray. I won't put them outside until around Mother's Day. Aaand I took a chance and used leftover seed from last spring and everyone sprouted just fine. :j:

I got my potato sets in the mail last Friday, so I'm waiting to be able to get those out. I know they don't mind a chill, but it's motherfucking snowing right now. I wore shorts on Friday, and three days later it's twenty something outside and snowing. :bang:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
We are going to get 10" of snow on Wednesday.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Winter can eat a whole bag of dicks; I'm over this cold and snow bullshit.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

AlistairCookie posted:

here here

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Start a lot indoors and transplant? Once it gets established in a spot that it likes it's nearly as bad as mint.

My oregano from last year is awesome. stopped watering the garden plot over the winter. Oregano just sat there and waitied. Planted for the spring and started watering again, oregano is growing like crazy. I'm going to have to cut it back because there is no way I'll use up what I have already.

AlistairCookie posted:

Send your storms to Southern California. We've had one good rain since New Years. Supposed to get a whole 1/10th of an inch of rain this week.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

ltr posted:

Send your storms to Southern California. We've had one good rain since New Years. Supposed to get a whole 1/10th of an inch of rain this week.

It sucks living in the desert, doesn't it?! Now stop taking all my water! :argh:

I messed up my starts. I was able to get my beans in the ground last weekend (8 days ago?), but wanted to let my bell peppers get a bit bigger. Well we had 3 days with 80+ temps in Northern CA, and forgot to water the starts and now all my peppers are gone. At least the hardware store has some really hardy looking bells.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Comb Your Beard posted:

Find a neighbor with oregano and take a division. Oregano spreads like crazy and its easy to start new plants

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Comb Your Beard posted:

dwoloz posted:

Find a neighbor with oregano and take a division. Oregano spreads like crazy and its easy to start new plants

Come take some of mine! The mister runs it over with the mower mid summer to keep it in check. It is competing with the mint for rear end in a top hat Plant That I Still Love Award.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

AlistairCookie posted:

Come take some of mine! The mister runs it over with the mower mid summer to keep it in check. It is competing with the mint for rear end in a top hat Plant That I Still Love Award.

I have three kinds of mint. I wish the catnip would grow like the mint.