Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Hanging apples, broccoli bundles and a HUGE honkin' sweet potato (something new!), all on strings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

WE LOVE THIS POTATO

GLaDOS was a hit. They had to go to roost last night with about 1/3 of the potato STILL THERE AND NOT BEING EATEN BY CHICKENS, which clearly went against their core beliefs. The bawking was heartbreaking. They were overjoyed to see it this morning when we let them out. By mid-morning there was only a chunk the size of an apple core left.

Egg candling Hatch A tonight at 11PM PST! I'll try and stream it if it shows on camera.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

WE LOVE THIS POTATO

GLaDOS was a hit. They had to go to roost last night with about 1/3 of the potato STILL THERE AND NOT BEING EATEN BY CHICKENS, which clearly went against their core beliefs. The bawking was heartbreaking. They were overjoyed to see it this morning when we let them out. By mid-morning there was only a chunk the size of an apple core left.

Egg candling Hatch A tonight at 11PM PST! I'll try and stream it if it shows on camera.

So their CGPS (chicken gps) took them to the remains of the tater this morning! that was so much fun to watch yesterday VS! I'll leave the laptop on in case you broadcast the candling! :allears:

ps: you might have to take a picture of the egg yolk of one of your eggs in a few days so we can see how ORANGE it is?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Getting ready to candle Hatch A right now, I'm going to try and stream it on the Chickam UStream channel. Fingers crossed for chicks!

:henget:
EDIT: OK, we have 4 viable, active, squirming embryos! Five more eggs are 'possible/probable' embryos, I should be able to tell better at the next round of candling on the 22nd. Four other eggs were duds that never developed--I did the breakout and all had good, strong shells and air cells, but 3 were infertile and one was fertile but never developed at all.

Hatch B will get it's first candling on the night of the 24th.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 18, 2014

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Getting ready to candle Hatch A right now, I'm going to try and stream it on the Chickam UStream channel. Fingers crossed for chicks!

EDIT: OK, we have 4 viable, active, squirming embryos! Five more eggs are 'possible/probable' embryos, I should be able to tell better at the next round of candling on the 22nd. Four other eggs were duds that never developed--I did the breakout and all had good, strong shells and air cells, but 3 were infertile and one was fertile but never developed at all.

:dance: I take some of the possible/probably ones are the Bear eggs?

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I tried so hard to stay up, but I just couldn't make it. Thank you for posting the results! Are the five possible/probable embryos the Bear eggs?

I look forward to hearing the results from the next round!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Three of the possibles are Bear eggs with shells so dark they are nearly impossible to see a chick through (90% positive they have chicks). The very first egg I candled was the banty egg...with a squirmy chick inside who was ALL pissed off at the bright light. :)

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The very first egg I candled was the banty egg...with a squirmy chick inside who was ALL pissed off at the bright light. :)
and that bird is going to remember you and be antsy from the outset.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I posted this in the other Chicken thread, thought I ought to post it here too :)

There was an article in USA TODAY (state by state section):

CALIFORNIA/CHICO: More than 1800 chickens will be looking for new homes after a Northern California egg producer closes its doors next month. THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE reported the sanctuary ANIMAL PLACE is hoping to recruit would be owners for the red hens by April 4th. The sanctuary is holding adoption events at its Vacaville quarters on the next three Fridays.

Their website is: http://www.animalplace.org

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

One week to go until hatch! :neckbeard:

Hatch A gets candled again tonight at 11PM PST (I'll run the cam on UStream again), Hatch B gets it's first candling on the 24th. The brooder box is constructed, all I have to do is join the two halves together later on today.

Still no broody hens yet...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's a beautiful Spring day and the flock is full-on twitterpated! The cam is up and running! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's a beautiful Spring day and the flock is full-on twitterpated! The cam is up and running! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Bloop has a D'Uccle lady visiting him up on top of the bird cage. :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Gotta love that word, twitterpated! hee hee

knittingphd
May 9, 2013
VS,

With the hatch about a week away is it time to start a chicken naming list? Will it be on GBS or on Pet Island?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

knittingphd posted:

With the hatch about a week away is it time to start a chicken naming list? Will it be on GBS or on Pet Island?

Chickam in GBS1.4 should bring LOTS of gross/strange names this year.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

knittingphd posted:

VS,

Well I candle the eggs again tonight which should give me a better idea of how many chicks we can expect. Last time I saw 4 'for sures' and 5 'possibles'. Y'all can get your names ready whenever, if you want to start posting them here it's OK with me. We're going to do the name draw again this year to keep everything fair. As before, one name per person, and if your name gets picked for Hatch A, you can't submit one for Hatch B.

I'm going to TRY starting the thread in GBS since that's where it's always been, and I'd hate for people watching GBS for Chickam to miss it. Hopefully the mods will help protect it from the more vile posters...if it gets too ridiculous we can always move it to PI. We WILL, however, rule the UStream chat with an iron hand since so many kids watch.

And yeah, cannot WAIT for the slew of really weird names this year, oughta be interesting! :pwn:

Also, the brooder box is done and set up! The kid is planning a baby chick LEGO playground wonderland and Club Flamingo should open on time!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Is there no option for them to turn off chat on their end to assure the kids don't see anything a teacher might get in trouble for? You can rule with whatever you want, but with the current state of GBS I wouldn't be surprised if people manage to slip some things through before you can hit the delete button.

I wanna name a chick Ribbit so that's my vote for this year.

E: Unless it is a Bear egg, then I want to name it Carealot.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 23, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Yes, people have the option to turn off chat.

OK, so the brooder box is in place and ready to go, Club Flamingo lives!

The kid is already planning a LEGO chick playground. The boxes were courtesy of a local appliance store, that's two dishwasher boxes and one for a huge oven/range.

Also, I made some fake eggs to encourage nesting/broodiness, filled them with rice and glued them shut.

They worked--their egg output shot from about 8 a day to freakin' FOURTEEN a day. Weedcat is spending a lot of his time sitting in nest boxes and burbling charmingly at the hens, who go gaga over it and all try and stuff in with him at once until he can't stand it anymore and comes piling back out. No broody hens yet, but I have hopes that one of the Brahmas or Giant Cochins will go over to the Dark Side and be a Chickam mama.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Please post photos of some hens and Weedcat all stuffed into one nest box! :)

The new Club Flamingo looks FANTASTIC! I also like your chicken memorabilia on the wall.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Please post photos of some hens and Weedcat all stuffed into one nest box! :)

The new Club Flamingo looks FANTASTIC! I also like your chicken memorabilia on the wall.

I call it The Great Wall of Chicken. :v:

I'll try and get pics, but Weeds tends to jump out and look embarassed if we catch him being sweet to his girls. :keke:

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
I plan on having chickam run in the background of my classroom. I detach the chat so that it shows on my computer but not the main screen. Did it last year, and it worked fine.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam will be starting in a few minutes for the 2nd candling of the first batch of eggs.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Well I candle the eggs again tonight which should give me a better idea of how many chicks we can expect. Last time I saw 4 'for sures' and 5 'possibles'. Y'all can get your names ready whenever, if you want to start posting them here it's OK with me. We're going to do the name draw again this year to keep everything fair. As before, one name per person, and if your name gets picked for Hatch A, you can't submit one for Hatch B.

My name pick is Jellybean. Looking forward to the hatch!
-AG, aka GingerGetThePopcorn

ApathyGirl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 24, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, Hatch A had it's 14 day old candling. Two more eggs were removed, they were infertile on breakout.

In the other 7 eggs, I saw lively embryos in 3 of them. Of the other 4, the banty egg had a chick in it, but I'm not sure if it's a quitter or not since I couldn't be sure if it was moving or not. And as is typical with Bear's dark green-shelled eggs, I am not sure if there are chicks or not in her three eggs, but two of them looked like they did. All of the 7 will stay in the incubator until hatch day, I don't candle this group again--we get what we get on hatch day.

Hatch B will get it's first candling in two days!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Submitting name Eureka :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK...I'm going to admit that I am powerless to stop.

I had 4 more Bear eggs, I started them just now (1AM) in the incubator, they will be Hatch C. Hatch C should hatch late 4-12 or early 4-13.

LAST ONE, I SWEAR.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I had 4 more Bear eggs, I started them just now (1AM) in the incubator, they will be Hatch C. Hatch C should hatch late 4-12 or early 4-13.

LAST ONE, I SWEAR.

But....Bear has already started working on Hatch D! We want to see a HERD of Bear babies! :D

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

LAST ONE, I SWEAR.

OH MY GOSH, Bear has become an egg laying machine! That is great Velvet Sparrow!

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Cam should be renamed Abraham because he is trying to father many nations through Bear.

knittingphd
May 9, 2013
I submit Dip Dobson for a chick name

I'm so excited!!! : )

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

LAST ONE, I SWEAR.
Aww, that Bear.

Name choice: Cowbell. 'cos if anyone says "this thread needs more cowbell", we can post a picture of him/her.

edit the above name is for any chick.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 25, 2014

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Submitting name: B.A. Baracus because they pity the fools

unless it's one of Bear's eggs. I'd name him/her Robinson (as in, "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me.")

Would that be ok?

So wait. 4 more Bear eggs. Does that bring the total to 11? 12?? I'm starting to lose count!

Phaena fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 28, 2014

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Submitting the name Neutrino 'cause they're small and fast, like the chicks.

Can't wait! :dance:

(Also VS, I'm posting as Chookasaurus in the ustream chat, since it's a bit more kid-appropriate than my SA name.)

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Submitting Cougar for a Bear baby; cause that's what Mamma was. Otherwise, Ellie in honor of my late poodle cousin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I submit Nyarlathotep, the crawling chaos.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Submitting Cinnamon again. This is the year, I can feel it!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

I've got a HUGE grin, wonderful names for Bear chicks! Great idea Velvet Sparrow, separate category for Bear chicks! :dance:

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
Moa!

Can't wait to see the hatch :D

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AcetylCoA! posted:

Submitting Cougar for a Bear baby; cause that's what Mamma was. Otherwise, Ellie in honor of my late poodle cousin.

:smith: I don't think I knew about Ellie passing. That's awful. I'm sorry. She seemed like an awesome girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: I don't think I knew about Ellie passing. That's awful. I'm sorry. She seemed like an awesome girl.

:( Got the text on Friday. She was 16. Last time I saw her was spring break - she was so excited.

• Locked thread