Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

Or if that's not "oppressiony" enough for, assembled or extracted by what amounts to slave labor in the developing world.

:toot:

Anyway, derails into debating oppression and worker-owner relationships aside, I got a new old crazy political forward:

:byodood: $174,000 FOR LIFE*

*It's not actually that amount for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Clearly Social Security because there are a lot more seniors than any of the other groups. They're not even working for christ's sake!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If Barack Obama lives to be 92 years old, from now until the day he dies at $450,000 per year he will collect $18,000,000.

If they instead used that money to pay for seniors on social security to get $12,000 each, that would pay for a whole 1,500 seniors, for one year.

Maybe, instead, the cuts should begin with the $682,000,000,000 the United States spent on the military in 2013.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

vyelkin posted:

If Barack Obama lives to be 92 years old, from now until the day he dies at $450,000 per year he will collect $18,000,000.

If they instead used that money to pay for seniors on social security to get $12,000 each, that would pay for a whole 1,500 seniors, for one year.

Maybe, instead, the cuts should begin with the $682,000,000,000 the United States spent on the military in 2013.

This would be great copied into the same format and used as a direct response. Could copying the format that be a systemic approach to responding to these textual image memes?

Based on the oppression conversation, I'm going to go ahead and say my additional evaluation of Mornacale's statement was correct- it was in fact categorical.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mo_Steel posted:

:byodood: $174,000 FOR LIFE*

*It's not actually that amount for life.

Those numbers have gone up since the first version of that image I've seen and they weren't even accurate then.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fulchrum posted:

I don't buy EA games. Try again.

I would not object to "some things are made via oppression". But you have to go with the Literally here - everything made is horrible, no exceptions. There is no nuanced view, no actual look at different products, different companies, identifying the good and the bad - everything is forged from the tears of the poor and needy by fatcats, and to exist in this world is to support them.

Yeah that's a strawman, I even put right there that the oppression you partake in is not something people are going to be up in arms about because it's a societal thing. Whereas exploiting third-world labour for electronics is something we shouldn't really pretend we don't benefit from.

Bill Gates does some seriously good stuff with his charity. Going through his business history, however, it's clear he's not a great person. If you want to interpret that as "kill everybody" then you're projecting a hilarious amount in the post I quoted.

Also, hah, EA. loving EA. That's what you jump to. Possibly the easiest example of a genuine #firstworldproblems bullshit argument in existence.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 25, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Oppression, moi? I always over pay for humble bundles.:smug:

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
I made a thing

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pd187 posted:

I made a thing

This is amazing and if you don't mind I'm stealing it.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Having worked with TBI patients I don't know whether to find that hilarious or offensive so I'm going with hilarious.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This is amazing and if you don't mind I'm stealing it.

Please do!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I have a friend who got a traumatic brain injury and now has the mind of a child. He tried to add me as a family member on his facebook timeline. He thinks we're brothers.

:(

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cpt.Americant posted:

To be fair, these investments are to get a return on investment so the charity can have more money to do more things, not because they agree with those particular companies. So what if they're using say Exxon to make money if they use that money for good? If they could only invest in stocks from 100% ethical companies that no one has a problem with they would only invest in:

"It's not true that you can't make lots of money without oppressing people!"

"The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation needs to invest in oppressive companies in order to make lots of money!"

:confused:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

You should have seen those kids at 3 years old.

edit: Have a blast from the past:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 25, 2014

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Swan Oat posted:

Can you really be said to care about fighting global warming when you have three quarters of a billion dollars in investment capital sunk into oil and gas? Or to care about fighting childhood obesity/promoting good nutrition when you have about two billion invested in McDonalds and Coke?

Or, if the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation says that they "consider other issues beyond corporate profits, including the values that drive the foundation's work" and then go on to invest in private prisons and security outsourcing firms I'm going to call them liars.

edit: this is actually really deraily, so

That just reminds me of the kinds of attacks people use against Gore whenever he uses a jet or whatever that causes carbon emissions. Or attacking the Nobel peace prize because Alfred Nobel got rich from making explosives.

Considering the foundation is almost fully geared to just two things (US education and global vaccination/health), and neither of those things are being hindered by what they invest in, I'm going to go and say it actually doesn't matter that much. Now if he were making money from some anti-vaccine "natural health" company I might agree with you, but neither global warming nor childhood obesity are really on their radar in any major way.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

19 o'clock posted:

"AccomModate"

This isn't as bad as misspelled tattoos, but I still love the idea that someone might have gone to the trouble of getting an intolerant message embroidered on his expensive leather jacket, and he misspelled it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I made some stupid Facebook post bitching about how the actors in the religious film Noah are pretty much all white. The upcoming movie Exodus has loving Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad, and Christian Bale, as Joseph and loving Moses. Whitewashing film, yay.

Oddly enough the only person to disagree with my words, who is religious, is Mormon. The others on FB who are Christian agreed that no, Moses would not be white, and no, Noah would not be white. The Mormon chimed in that 'everyone who read the Hunger Games books was mad because Rue was cast as a black girl, but she wasn't black, people need to stop seeing race and appreciate a movie for story and actors."

Cause we're the real racists, right?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Cowslips Warren posted:

I made some stupid Facebook post bitching about how the actors in the religious film Noah are pretty much all white. The upcoming movie Exodus has loving Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad, and Christian Bale, as Joseph and loving Moses. Whitewashing film, yay.

Oddly enough the only person to disagree with my words, who is religious, is Mormon. The others on FB who are Christian agreed that no, Moses would not be white, and no, Noah would not be white. The Mormon chimed in that 'everyone who read the Hunger Games books was mad because Rue was cast as a black girl, but she wasn't black, people need to stop seeing race and appreciate a movie for story and actors."

Cause we're the real racists, right?

But Rue was black in the book.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Forgall posted:

But Rue was black in the book.

"Nu-uh, they just talk about he being very brown, with very curly hair, and that she and her family live in the district that represents post reconstruction sharecropping in the south. Clearly she was just a white girl with a farmer's tan! :downs:"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, wasn't Katniss herself pretty tan/brown? I thought at least she was biracial. She wasn't white.

Has there ever been a major movie where Jesus was black? I imagine there would be a high outcry and backlash about that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress, wasn't Katniss herself pretty tan/brown? I thought at least she was biracial. She wasn't white.

Has there ever been a major movie where Jesus was black? I imagine there would be a high outcry and backlash about that.

Dogma didn't show Jesus as black, but the characters in that movie sure made it seem that way. I don't think too many CP posters would even know that that movie exists, though.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

EightBit posted:

Dogma didn't show Jesus as black, but the characters in that movie sure made it seem that way. I don't think too many CP posters would even know that that movie exists, though.

"Knew him? poo poo, nigga owes me 12 bucks".

I remember there being a bit of an uproar when Dogma came out, I'm guessing now people would just shake their head and denounce it as LIEberal lies about our One True White God.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

EightBit posted:

"White folks only want to hear the good poo poo: life eternal, a place in God's Heaven. But as soon as they hear they're getting this good poo poo from a black Jesus, they freak. And that, my friends, is called hypocrisy. A black man can steal your stereo, but he can't be your Savior."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

Katniss and the people she lived near were described as olive, if memory serves. It's never explicitly stated but given that she lives in a hilly, forested coal region I'm going to guess that the intent was that District 12 people were descended from the various Slavs that settled in and around PA. In the book Katniss is from the working class, which is olive-skinned, and there is a higher merchant-ish class that's generally white. But yeah, Katniss was in that category of kind-of, sort-of white people. Olive-skinned folks are lumped in with Caucasians but not necessarily treated like they're white.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.cbcpnews.com/cbcpnews/?p=32904

quote:

GUBAT, Sorsogon, March 24, 2014 – It seems almost like conventional wisdom to many, but according to a well-known obstetrician and gynecologist, vaccines may not exactly be the best safeguard against diseases.

In a talk given last March 22 at the Our Lady of Peñafrancia Chapel in barangay Tiris, Dr. Eleanor de Borja-Palabyab, MD, Doctors for Life Philippines (DFLph) president said, vaccines that are injected into the human body contain mercury and formalin that are harmful to the body and brain, These vaccines, she added, also cause autism.

The ob-gyne admitted that generally physicians have no definite idea about how vaccines are produced, except the fact that vaccines are live attenuated viruses injected into the body to provide immunity so that when the animated viruses threaten to infect the system, it can repel them.

De Borja-Palabyab herself is not vaccinated. But she had not been infected with chicken pox and other viral diseases. The only vaccine she had ever received is one for hepatitis virus, which may infect physicians during surgical operations.

“Virus and bacteria cannot grow without an unclean condition,” she said. “I’m talking about how vaccines are produced. Vaccines are grown on animal or human tissue.”

Aborted fetuses are used to produce live attenuated vaccines, De Borja-Palabyab also revealed. They are also used in the preparation of food ingredients in countries where abortion is legal. She cited two locations, one in the West, the other in Asia.

Today, two human diploid cell lines originally prepared from tissues of two fetuses aborted in 1964 and 1970, and are used to produce vaccines, a Vatican document said http://www.immunize.org/concerns/vaticandocument.htm

The first is the WI-38 line (Winstar Institute 38), with human diploid lung fibroblasts from an aborted female fetus, the document said. The other is the MRC-5 line (Medical Research Council 5), with human diploid lung fibroblasts from a 14 week-old aborted male fetus.

About 5 brands of vaccines for rubella (German measles) are using the WI-38 ad MRC-5 lines to produce live attenuated viruses, the document said.

In conclusion, the doctor encouraged the attendees to focus instead on having a healthy lifestyle, by eating the proper nutrients, exercise, good sleep, and not by vaccines, she said.

I'm goddamn floored. This isn't some fringe group of whackjobs filing the story, CBCP stands for the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines :psyduck:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not a movie but there's going to be a live action TV show airing soon on Adult Swim called "Black Jesus" which is about Jesus living in modern day Compton.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm goddamn floored. This isn't some fringe group of whackjobs filing the story, CBCP stands for the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines :psyduck:

Well good god loving dammit. The last thing I need beyond anti-vaxers on my facebook are Catholics starting to jump on the anti-vax train. I hope this is relegated to some 3rd world morons and not an emergent trend in modern Catholicism.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This shouldn't be particularly surprising- there isn't fantastic centralized control of the bishops conferences, and they're laypeople vulnerable to the arguments of fringe medical opinions, just like anyone else.

Crain posted:

Well good god loving dammit. The last thing I need beyond anti-vaxers on my facebook are Catholics starting to jump on the anti-vax train. I hope this is relegated to some 3rd world morons and not an emergent trend in modern Catholicism.

It's going to be limited to the third world. But it's not because they're morons, or because they're Catholic- they just don't have the same advantages of education and access to competing views that we have. The folks deserving blame here are the cited source, Doctors For Life Philippines. I can't tell where they get their funding, and they might be an honest to goodness homebrew group of doctors in the region looking for thing to associate their fears of abortion with. There's no indication they have any affiliation with other similarly named antiabortion Christian clinician groups.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anti-vax is some brilliant population control by the Illuminati. It ensures that stupid/gullible people will be the first to die off (and by destroying herd immunity they'll take lots of other people with them). Meanwhile the shapeshifting elite are vaccinated and can avoid the diseased masses.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The Vatican has never stated anything against vaccinations and frankly I don't see why they would. They're generally OK with scientific development as long as killing babies isn't involved in the process (Hence why they are mistakenly against stem cells).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

The Vatican has never stated anything against vaccinations and frankly I don't see why they would. They're generally OK with scientific development as long as killing babies isn't involved in the process (Hence why they are mistakenly against stem cells).

I think the Vatican is against embryonic stem cells rather specifically. I think the anti-stem cell fervor came about because people think that non-embryonic bodies don't have stem cells, which is absurd. Adults have stem cells. They aren't always easy to find and aren't as good as embryonic stem cells but really, the rhetoric used by some of the far right was "stem cells only come from murdered babies, we must stop this!!!!"

The Vatican has become increasingly pro-science but the religious right as a whole is very anti-progress. It gets very muddled because different sects of Christianity have radically different views on science. Do remember that there are some sects that think that all medicine is inherently wrong and preventing people from dying ever is interfering with God's plan. Because I guess God's plan involves large numbers of children dying very young of easily preventable diseases.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Do remember that there are some sects that think that all medicine is inherently wrong and preventing people from dying ever is interfering with God's plan. Because I guess God's plan involves large numbers of children dying very young of easily preventable diseases.

Does this extend to things like wearing seat belts or bringing life vests on a boat? Is farming an insult to God because you're not trusting Him to send manna from heaven if it's really His plan that you have food?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Does this extend to things like wearing seat belts or bringing life vests on a boat? Is farming an insult to God because you're not trusting Him to send manna from heaven if it's really His plan that you have food?

I've heard of a (severely depressed) religious person claiming they didn't pay taxes or buy insurance for a decade because "If God wanted me to, he would've told me" - it was like they gave up on life and attributed their troubles to lacking God's favor.

Of course eating food and getting out of bed to go through the motions of life contradict it logically, but depressive thinking coupled with magical thinking must be pretty awful. Living like a junkie without any bliss.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Man it's almost as though far-right anti-progressives are generally more concerned with prolonging existing power structures than any sort of scriptural or ethical coherency or something.

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
My new go-to reply to religious people ranting about welfare, vaccines, or medical reform is "Just like Jesus said."

Ranting about how you hate your tax dollars going toward feeling welfare babies... "Just like Jesus said, only feed the hungry if you judge them worthy."

Ranting about how medical science is just out to make you sicker... "Just like Jesus said, only administer to the sick if no one could make a profit off of it."

Ranting about ACA and how the poors should get a job if they want insurance... "Just like Jesus said, help the poor if they get a job."

It shuts people up really quick. I know it's snarky, but for some of the people I interact with it's the only way to get them to stop for a second.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The response to that I've heard is "Jesus didn't want the government to force you!" which highlights that honestly Christian charity is often about scoring personal heaven points and isn't concerned with actually ending suffering.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Radish posted:

The response to that I've heard is "Jesus didn't want the government to force you!" which highlights that honestly Christian charity is often about scoring personal heaven points and isn't concerned with actually ending suffering.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a Christian nation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Radish posted:

You can always try and goad them into anti-semitism by saying that Rabbi Moses Mimonides said that the best kind of charity is the one given anonymously, and what is more anonymous than paying taxes and supporting welfare policies?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

gradenko_2000 posted:

As I understand it, it was largely due to the influence of Catholic clergy in Africa that led to the resurgence of polio.

Radish posted:

"Just like Jesus said, don't pay your taxes. Mark 12:17"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farfegnougat
Oct 31, 2004

I just got this gem from my mother:

quote:

So how about this. Government single-payer system uses aborted babies for heat hospitals. Soylent Green anyone? This is disgusting. Abortion is murder, and to use human remains to stay "green" is an abomination against God and humanity. Send this to everyone who says we can't tell a woman what to do with her body.

Along with this link.

Has anyone who's been listening to Glenn and Rush heard this one? I'm assuming that she got it from them. She gets most of her ideas from them. I'm trying not to respond and brutally dissect her little rant point by point.

I'm not sure why I'm so bothered by this one. Maybe it's because she knows I'm pro-choice and sent this only and specifically to me. That little dig at the end about "everyone who says we can't tell a woman what to do with her body" is really something else.