Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Robawesome posted:

"So if Bitcoin is property not currency, does that mean I can buy a can of soda with a t-shirt"?
yes if you can find someone willing to trade, bartering is in fact legal :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

men of the new gold
longing for meaning and worth
all-consuming fire

holy poo poo

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Robawesome posted:

just saw an interac commercial on tv and remembered that americans dont have NFC debit payment systems yet, crazy

but we do :confused:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

always funny to hear this

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

oh, i thought i had read that it wasnt widespread in the US.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Fear Not The IRS...this is one of the best things to happen to Bitcoin. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 21 seconds ago by rogerdavis101

Remember when there was Napster? People could download music free. But there was a central server, and Napster was held legally liable, and it was shut down. Then there was Gnutella and Kazaa and other lawsuits. Eventually there was Bittorent, and you could download anything. P2P was born. It was made better by the government.

The same thing will happen to Bitcoin. The internet routes around obstacles. So tumbling bitcoins will become easier and more common.

The IRS has just given enormous momentum and motivation to the underground economy to develop secure systems that absolutely prevent government monitoring and intervention. Somebody tell the IRS that Bitcoin ain't a CRYPTOCURRENCY for nothing. Duh.

ANother nail in the coffin of the US government, and another plus one for Bitcoin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Robawesome posted:

just saw an interac commercial on tv and remembered that americans dont have NFC debit payment systems yet, crazy

I've had nfc debit in the us since 2009 tho??

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Robawesome posted:

oh, i thought i had read that it wasnt widespread in the US.

you might be thinking of chip and pin; nfc has been widespread here since the mid aughts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i stopped trying to use my credit card's nfc because most of the readers i encounter don't work

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
nfc is weird and freaky and no one uses it apart from this guy
|
|
V

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Implications of IRS Ruling on "virtual currency" for online games. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 32 seconds ago by styx1776

If the IRS is ruling that a cost basis must be established and capital gains and losses determined for any virtual currency, what does that mean for virtual gold in games like WoW and Everquest? I have a feeling the IRS will never answer that question, but treating all virtual currency like property opens a giant can of worms that would theoretically require game administrators to issue players annual reports of their transactions. And please, no Reddit gold for this post. I don't want to complicate next year's tax return.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
bitcoin == game currency

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

Robawesome posted:

ANother nail in the coffin of the US government, and another plus one for Bitcoin.

:allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Man how's chip and pin going to effect them prepaid gift cards anyway?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
What I have had to deal with in promoting bitcoins as a vendor. Such a lack of understanding by the general public. (facebook.com)

submitted 12 hours ago by hjb-coins

[–]chinawat 31 points 12 hours ago

Sensationalized and often erroneous mainstream media coverage is the first culprit. From there, you've just got the uninformed playing telephone with tidbits and headlines they hear. It's a good thing that math never lies.

Congrats on your Bitcoin integration.

[–]hjb-coins[S] 22 points 10 hours ago

Thanks guys on the love! Yes I have had to slow my breathing several times before answering! I think it is still important to post on places like FB because if bitcoins is going to grow we have to educate from the ground up.

I see things continue to change on some levels besides FB as just last week, I was teaching one of our big clients about bitcoins. I was showing him how to make a paper wallet and what cold storage meant. When guys like this are asking how to get involved, I know bitcoins future is bright!

[–]JakeMcVitie[🍰] 18 points 10 hours ago

Apparently people need to hear about something new and alien about seven times and from seven different sources before they start to internally digest it.

These FB people have probably seen (not read) three newspaper headlines, and that's their sum total exposure to Bitcoin.

Now they've seen your post. That's their fourth exposure. Next month maybe a friend will buy Bitcoin and mention it - that'll be their fifth. And so on. At some point soon after, a light bulb will go off in their brain.

[–]umageddon 3 points 9 hours ago

Agreed. From what ive been able to glean of human nature in my lifetime is that old ideas die hard (if at all) and new ones take a few gallons of water to get it down.

I think at its core, lifeforms are inherently lazy (by that i mean, they will always gravitate to the easiest solution). I don't think ideas/paradigms escape this law.

So as someone gets older and hasn't worked to keep their mind subtle, he/she will have a helluva time scraping off the mental crud to 'see the light' of anything novel or new that dosent fit established thought patterns.

[–]NilacTheGrim 1 point 9 hours ago

Yeah, the sheeple are annoying that way. Well said though.

[–]MrProper 2 points 9 hours ago

Just stay positive and clarify each valid issue referring to third person. If the ignorance is still remaining above your jimmy rustling levels, promote some other positive aspect showcasing specific success stories.

[–]fencing49 11 points 11 hours ago

People are so ignorant.

[–]procabiak[🍰] 10 points 12 hours ago

You are tempting me to post something about Bitcoin on my Facebook... Just to see the reaction, that I expect will be 100% like yours...

Facebook territory is not where bitcoin should go IMO, not for another 126 years. The mass public just doesn't care, but with word of mouth we can probably win them over slowly.

[–]palalab 1 point 4 hours ago

After another 50x gain in dollar price they might start to wake up (right when the price stabilizes).

[–]sebrandon1 1 point 10 hours ago

Yeah, I'm scared what the reaction would be if I asked on Facebook. If it is anything like the few buddies IRL I've brought it up to, it will be hostile.

[–]danielravennest 2 points 6 hours ago

'Its just like the Tulips!'...

The rebuttal to the tulip argument is that Floriculture (growing flowers for money) is a $100 billion a year business (including tulips). Just because something was overpriced does not mean it is worthless.

See also: dotcom bubble of 1998-2000, and the real estate bubble that peaked in 2007. The internet and real estate still have value.

[–]SlangyKart 0 points 9 hours ago

Hehe. My friends and family know better than to laugh at me. They'd most likely just stay quiet. Nobody commented when I changed my profile picture to a QR code. Two nieces "liked" it, just to be polite!

[–]Panni30 9 points 11 hours ago

JUST GONE AND LIKED ALL YOUR POSTS TO GIVE YOU SOME SOCIAL PROOF DUE TO SKEPTICAL COMMENTS.

[–]win2000 6 points 11 hours ago

If you don’t believe me or don’t get it, I don’t have time to try to convince you, sorry. -Satoshi

[–]adamsol 6 points 11 hours ago

This makes me feel really good about the potential price direction once these people know what we know.

[–]Cygnus_X 2 points 9 hours ago

This is part of the reason I own btc. One of day, all these people will wake up and realize what they're missing. The more ignorance that exists now, the better the buy opportunity.

[–]rangeoflight 2 points 9 hours ago

Always remember that half the people in the world have below average intelligence. These people have a "lack of understanding" about most everything.

[–]Tedohadoer 1 point 5 hours ago

It's not about inteligence, it's about their ego

[–]vdogg89 3 points 9 hours ago

It honestly astounds me how people can't wrap their mind around how you can accept bitcoin using something like coinbase and receiving USD. They still tell you that you're stupid for accepting such a wild currency even after you JUST explained to them that you don't take any risk. I realize more and more that people are just stupid.

[–]avesfan 3 points 11 hours ago

Thank you for taking the time to respond to all of the misinformation. People will start shaking their heads when they start seeing bitcoin everywhere and realize they have already been using it without even knowing.

[–]cabooseza 2 points 10 hours ago

I actually thought when people said those things they were joking O.o

[–]kisstheblarney 2 points 10 hours ago

When people start bragging about how much money they save using bitcoin this will be a lot easier.

[–]CoinBear 2 points 11 hours ago

Thanks for posting this. That is my experience too. It is especially concerning since most of my friends are highly educated professionals. How to make average joe comfortable to use bitcoin is really the key to bitcoin's success.

[–]DontTreadOnMe 5 points 11 hours ago

Average Joes will be comfortable when they see other average Joes using them. There is nothing going on here other than "It looks strange therefore it is bad".

I can remember when people made fun of mobile phones.

[–]hjb-coins[S] 4 points 10 hours ago

It's the front lines! I did have to ban a couple of people who were over the top so you can imagine what they were like!!

[–]pseudozach 2 points 11 hours ago

congrats. Ignorant attention seekers are everywhere but they'll learn. Albeit slowly, but they will...

[–]harveytent 1 point 8 hours ago

I put up an accepting bitcoin sign at work. I got the same "they went bankrupt" stuff as well. I know they say no publicity is bad publicity but that's not the case with the MTGox BS. it has hurt bitcoin for sure.

[–]FreeJack2k2 1 point 7 hours ago

Now you are understanding what anyone who's ever worked in any service industry could already tell you with complete certainty: The average human being is a complete moron, easily programmed by the mass media.

The side benefit of that is that they're also like a herd of sheep and they follow whatever the trend is (because they can't think for themselves). The thinkers and trend-makers can create huge changes just by playing the right tune. It's how presidents are elected.

Bitcoin's widespread adoption is inevitable. It doesn't matter how many mouth-breathers out there think the CEO of Bitcoin was thrown in jail, or that it's only used in black market purchases and money laundering. In 10 years, they'll be buying Slurpees at 7-11 with it.

People scoffed at the world wide web in the beginning, questioned its significance, didn't understand the point. They were wrong, too.

[–]palalab 2 points 4 hours ago

I deal with this poo poo in my taxi every day.

[–]Elowin 1 point 1 hour ago

Absolutely spot on. This is the same rhetoric I get from my friends as well.. the media wins this round but they can't spread misinformation forever.

[–]themann00 1 point 11 hours ago

I went through and liked everything you said on FB. Hopefully some strength in numbers might get people reading a bit more than reacting... but probably not.

[–]D4wn0ff473 1 point 9 hours ago

The amount of uninformed stupid in that thread is ridiculous. The best part is those are probably the same people who cry foul when someone makes significant sums of money speculating investments. They will probably also bitch when they realize they missed the boat and can't afford to invest down the road.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the revolution will begin now!

unfortunately we cant buy guns with bitcoin, so i introduce bitguns!

you can buy them with your bitcoins.

to fire them just spread the truth to the disbelievers and they will join our side and hopefully they have real guns! when that's true, take their guns!

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
gotta keep that mind subtle

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Sniep posted:

the revolution will begin now!

unfortunately we cant buy guns with bitcoin, so i introduce bitguns!

you can buy them with your bitcoins.

to fire them just spread the truth to the disbelievers and they will join our side and hopefully they have real guns! when that's true, take their guns!
a bitcoin revolution run on 3d printed guns

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

Thanks guys on the love! Yes I have had to slow my breathing several times before answering!
please take your meds weird internet bitcoin man :ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i must admit that after the pay dirt of february i was concerned that the laugh flow would ebb for a bit while more areas of happening were explored. i am very pleased with the quality of this vein of laughs and foresee it having sufficient depth to keep producing for a very long time.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

...! posted:

[–]SlangyKart 0 points 9 hours ago

Hehe. My friends and family know better than to laugh at me. They'd most likely just stay quiet. Nobody commented when I changed my profile picture to a QR code. Two nieces "liked" it, just to be polite!

Remember children we never laugh at Uncle SlangyKart. Uncle SlangyKart is a crazy and violent man. He will kill your rear end.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Phoenixan posted:

a bitcoin revolution run on 3d printed guns

buy your 3d gun printers for BTC on silk road 3
guarantee we will ship you a 3d gun printer* **
*maybe
**on your own to print your own guns

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sham bam bamina! posted:

yes if you can find someone willing to trade, bartering is in fact legal :rolleye:

And taxable, and indeed there are a ton of tax regulations relating to barter.

Bitcoinistas are so loving dumb that they assume nothing exists except what they can see from their mothers' basements.

This reminds me of the greatest comedy heckle I ever heard. Some schlub opened his act with some blah-blah about diet foods, Snackwells, whatever. He went on to say, "And sugar-free chocolate? What's the deal with that? Who's that for?"

Someone in the room shouted, "Diabetics."

Poor guy. He went on to tell some stupid jokes about his brother-in-law, but you could see the heart had gone right out of him.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

hey now it was just neil peart and he grew out of that in the '80s

i love how half of rush songs are "capitalism is killing music" and the other half are ayn rand fanfics

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

has anyone said "buttminster fullo'peens" yet

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

...! posted:

[–]rangeoflight 2 points 9 hours ago

Always remember that half the people in the world have below average intelligence. These people have a "lack of understanding" about most everything.

:ironicat:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

maybe? i'll have to check but i doubt it

you may be on to something here

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Reverse Bitpay idea and getting navigating the new IRS framework (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by dson321

Instead of a buyer using a service like Bitpay to process bitcoin transactions and send dollars to the merchant, would it be feasible for a buyer to use a "Reverse Bitpay" type service where "Reverse Bitpay" processes dollar transactions and sends bitcoins to the merchant?

Merchants would still benefit by avoiding credit card fees and would have an even greater incentive to encourage their customers to use "Reverse Bitpay" as a payment method. It would also be easier for consumers to understand because they wouldn't have to handle any bitcoin.

I feel like a "Reverse Bitpay" service could be provided by an entity with a large hoard of bitcoin and also a lot of tech savvy. I foresee the service piggy backing off the idea implemented by BTC-China by selling a digital voucher/receipt to a customer that basically obliges "Reverse Bitpay" to send bitcoins to a merchant to pay for a good/service of the customer's choosing.

Basically "Reverse Bitpay" would be linked into the e-commerce check out of various online merchants. Reverse Bitpay would have a huge menu of goods from various online merchants for customer's to choose from.

It would need to interface with payment processors like Dwolla, Venmo etc (basically payment tools that are linked directly to a users checking account so that you can avoid any credit card usage). Dwolla and Venmo type companies would have to get on board with this idea.

"Reverse Bitpay" would basically allow the customer to avoid the complicated tax issues with handling bitcoin. "Reverse Bitpay" would be able to offset capital gains with capital losses in the course of their business, and hopefully use good hedging techniques to mitigate their exposure to price swings. They would also be able to earn revenue from the merchant and customer by charging small usage fees.

Is this what Circle is up to?? One way for bitcoin to be successful is for someone to create an application that doesn't even require an average Joe to know anything about it but still allows Joe to fully leverage the payment system properties of bitcoin.

Alternatively, perhaps "Reverse Bitpay" could operate like an agent/broker for a consumer who doesn't want to spend time shopping/researching for consumer items. The agent would basically earn a commission for each transaction that "Reverse Bitpay" successfully "brokers".

Just some random ideas, but would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Robawesome posted:

Reverse Bitpay idea and getting navigating the new IRS framework (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by dson321

Instead of a buyer using a service like Bitpay to process bitcoin transactions and send dollars to the merchant, would it be feasible for a buyer to use a "Reverse Bitpay" type service where "Reverse Bitpay" processes dollar transactions and sends bitcoins to the merchant?

Merchants would still benefit by avoiding credit card fees and would have an even greater incentive to encourage their customers to use "Reverse Bitpay" as a payment method. It would also be easier for consumers to understand because they wouldn't have to handle any bitcoin.

I feel like a "Reverse Bitpay" service could be provided by an entity with a large hoard of bitcoin and also a lot of tech savvy. I foresee the service piggy backing off the idea implemented by BTC-China by selling a digital voucher/receipt to a customer that basically obliges "Reverse Bitpay" to send bitcoins to a merchant to pay for a good/service of the customer's choosing.

Basically "Reverse Bitpay" would be linked into the e-commerce check out of various online merchants. Reverse Bitpay would have a huge menu of goods from various online merchants for customer's to choose from.

It would need to interface with payment processors like Dwolla, Venmo etc (basically payment tools that are linked directly to a users checking account so that you can avoid any credit card usage). Dwolla and Venmo type companies would have to get on board with this idea.

"Reverse Bitpay" would basically allow the customer to avoid the complicated tax issues with handling bitcoin. "Reverse Bitpay" would be able to offset capital gains with capital losses in the course of their business, and hopefully use good hedging techniques to mitigate their exposure to price swings. They would also be able to earn revenue from the merchant and customer by charging small usage fees.

Is this what Circle is up to?? One way for bitcoin to be successful is for someone to create an application that doesn't even require an average Joe to know anything about it but still allows Joe to fully leverage the payment system properties of bitcoin.

Alternatively, perhaps "Reverse Bitpay" could operate like an agent/broker for a consumer who doesn't want to spend time shopping/researching for consumer items. The agent would basically earn a commission for each transaction that "Reverse Bitpay" successfully "brokers".

im the fact that companies don't want bitcoins

as you can see, im not with this person

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Muscle Tracer posted:

ground floor

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Honked posted:

ground floor

I liked to take this up to the first floor to stop more people from devaluing the posts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sweeper posted:

up to the first floor

*points, shrieks*

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
EURO PEEN SPOTTED

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.
flashback two months

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1uccfz/i_am_a_tax_attorney_here_are_my_answers_to_the/

quote:

#1: Are gains on Bitcoins taxable?
Yes. This is one of the only unequivocal answers you'll find in this post. All income is taxable, regardless of source or form, unless the Internal Revenue Code specifically states otherwise. Bitcoins present a lot of interesting tax questions, but whether gains are taxable is not one of them.
#2: When do my gains become taxable?*
Gains are taxable in the year they are realized. Realization occurs when you exchange bitcoins for any type of other property; such as cash, merchandise, or services. This includes everything from haircuts to yachts. Essentially, any transaction involving Bitcoin is a realization event and triggers taxable gain.
Because I've seen a lot of misinformation on this point, I want to make myself perfectly clear. If you own bitcoins that have appreciated in value, you cannot use them to purchase goods or services without realizing gain. Such a purchase is an accession to wealth. It puts you in the same position as if you had first sold the bitcoins for cash and then used the proceeds to purchase the goods or services directly. Yet, one would be a taxable transaction while the other would not? The IRS would never tolerate such a blatant loophole, and neither would the courts. In fact, this exact argument has already been rejected for other types of assets. The outcome for bitcoins will be the same.

[–]neotrippster 30 points 2 months ago
After reading all this, all I got was "paying taxes on bitcoins is too hard so just don't worry about it".

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Robawesome posted:

mmm yes having to calculate and log currency exchange rates for every transaction is much better than paying that horrible horrible 2% fee

surebet
Jan 10, 2013

specialist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eU2INYe4gk

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

naughty central bwankers

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Honked posted:

EURO PEEN SPOTTED

DONT CALL ME THAT

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

And yet it ends with a BTC begging address.

quote:

Total Received 0.05761401 BTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

quote:

New MtGox: Announcement with regard to consultations with investigating authorities on the disappearance of bitcoins (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago by ajvw

March 26, 2014

To anyone concerned

Mark Karpeles

Representative Director

MtGox Co., Ltd.

11­5 Shibuya 2­chome, Shibuya­ku, Tokyo

Announcement with regard to consultations with investigating authorities on the disappearance of bitcoins

Following its application for commencement of civil rehabilitation, MtGox Co., Ltd. consulted with the metropolitan police department with regard to the disappearance of bitcoins which is one of the causes for said application. MtGox Co., Ltd. hereby announces that it has submitted necessary electronic records and other related documents.

MtGox Co., Ltd. intends to fully cooperate with each competent authority.

Further, MtGox Co., Ltd. continues to make efforts to clarify facts as quickly as possible and to recover from damages.

• Locked thread