Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, finished the anime and...I take it any real answers as to What the gently caress is happening exactly are in the Manga?
Go forth and spend your savings, goon sir. Alternately, you can wait several years for the next season.

Also, you should watch Ilse's Journal, the first OVA! It's a short sidestory from the manga that the anime skipped over. ( Linked directly because there is literally no way to watch it on Crunchyroll, nor any other source until the final DVDS get released stateside. )

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, finished the anime and...I take it any real answers as to What the gently caress is happening exactly are in the Manga?

Go for the Manga. Probably start around chapter 30. Your head might explode a little bit after that though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The comic raises even more questions than it answers. It's good though.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Squidster posted:

Also, you should watch Ilse's Journal, the first OVA! It's a short sidestory from the manga that the anime skipped over. ( Linked directly because there is literally no way to watch it on Crunchyroll, nor any other source until the final DVDS get released stateside. )

Finally got around to watching this, and boy, this is just a whole other can of worms.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of OVAs, the second one should be out tommorow, and Jean is apparently the lead this time.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Man this thing is engrossing. Should I spoiler speculation, if it is about stuff in the middle of the season?

PREDICTION REDACTED BECAUSE I WAS RIGHT AND I AM SO SMART AND I GOT JUSTIFIED IN THE MANGA, the female titan is Annie. Not sure who the colossal titan is yet, maybe someone we haven't met. Maybe Eren's dad, maybe PREDICTION REDACTED BECAUSE HOLY GOD HOW AM I THIS GOOD? Not sure what the significance of REDACTED WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING? The titans are linked to the REDACTED BECAUSE WHILE DARTH WINDU IS PROBABLY THE SMARTEST MAN IN ANIME LAND, HE DOESN'T WANT TO BREAK THE FORUM RULES. SORRY ANIME WATCHERS.

Pretty sure I'm right but I'd be happy if the show proved me wrong. It is turning kinda cliche-y.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Once you're finished with the show, you should jump right into the manga if you don't want to wait another 2+ years for the next season.

But yeah, I'll just say that "cliche" doesn't really describe what happens in Attack on Titan as a whole, even if the anime seems that way. The show stops around chapter 32 of the manga, or at least they interpret things differently from that point.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Captain Invictus posted:

Once you're finished with the show, you should jump right into the manga if you don't want to wait another 2+ years for the next season.

But yeah, I'll just say that "cliche" doesn't really describe what happens in Attack on Titan as a whole, even if the anime seems that way. The show stops around chapter 32 of the manga, or at least they interpret things differently from that point.

I'm only on episode 17, there are 25 total, right? Man, I hope some of my speculations are answered at least.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
OH gently caress I WAS RIGHT. ANNIE IS A MOTHERFUCKIN TITAN AND SHE'S EVIL!!

I'm pretty disappointed by this, actually. I liked the character and I was hoping I wouldn't be right, because it also means that I'm probably right about the other stuff and this series is going to be predictable from here to the end. I knew I shouldn't have bothered watching an anime for the first time in ten years.

Edit after episode 25AHAHA LET ME GUESS, EREN ABSORBS HER CRYSTALLIZATION POWER AND NOW HES EVEN STRONGER. OH YEAH THIS SHOW TOTALLY SUBVERTS ANIME STEREOTYPES YALL

Yeah, this has been a waste of time. Ah well. Probably just read spoilers for the rest of the manga and leave it at that.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 9, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

:rolleyes:

It's true, AoT is a series without any twists or surprises whatsoever. No need to watch, read, or trouble us with your opinions any further, no sir.

But in case you shake off your habitual mantle of benevolent contempt:

Squidster posted:

Go forth and spend your savings, goon sir. Alternately, you can wait several years for the next season.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Squidster posted:

:rolleyes:

It's true, AoT is a series without any twists or surprises whatsoever. No need to watch, read, or trouble us with your opinions any further, no sir.

But in case you shake off your habitual mantle of benevolent contempt:

The show was decent, and I enjoy the world that it takes place in. But it really doesn't subvert any sort of tropes, it sticks to them just as hard as DBZ or Gundam. It's just more grim, which I guess appeals to the adult anime fans.

The 13 or so hours I spent watching this at least had a good lesson - stick to Miazaki films when it comes to anime. The rest is pretty worthless.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

The show was decent, and I enjoy the world that it takes place in. But it really doesn't subvert any sort of tropes, it sticks to them just as hard as DBZ or Gundam. It's just more grim, which I guess appeals to the adult anime fans.

The 13 or so hours I spent watching this at least had a good lesson - stick to Miazaki films when it comes to anime. The rest is pretty worthless.

So you already finished it? Did you watch past the credits in the final episode?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kild posted:

So you already finished it? Did you watch past the credits in the final episode?

They just beat Annie. Maybe something amazing will happen in the three minutes remaining but I doubt it.

Edit: Okay yeah there's a titan in the wall. Big whoop. Can't wait for Eren to beat it and absorb its power too. We got titan Megaman here

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so harsh since i know people enjoy anime for many different reasons, but it just isn't for me and this show, while being lauded as an example counter to the general crappiness of the genre, sticks just as hard to the tropes that make it unwatchable in my opinion. The only difference being, as I said before, that it is much more grim.

It's Gundam but the robots are made out of flesh, and tons of people die on screen. That's really all.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 9, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Oh no, this one really popular anime is kinda bad and generic, a lot like all those other bad and generic animes that are also really popular, so I must give up all non-Miyazaki anime forever. :rolleyes:

AoT is not at all generic. The angsty, burning spirit teenage protagonist normally always has things go his way, but AoT is about the angsty, burning spirit teenage protagonist getting curbstomped for being just that. His only successes in the whole show are when he closes off the opening with a giant boulder, which he could only do because Armin got his poo poo together for him, and beating Annie at the end. Another reason AoT isn't generic is because it's perfectly willing to have its well developed side characters dropping like flies without any drama or fanfare.

e: Hey, no one said this was the Citizen Kane of anime, and honestly I agree AoT isn't a great show. But it was entertaining as hell. If you want to be recommended something good, go ask around in the recommendation thread, but don't start saying all anime is dumb because a particular show wasn't to your liking. It's like saying you didn't like a particular sci-fi movie, so you give up on all sci-fi movies forever.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 9, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your first mistake was calling anime a genre, when it's a form of art that has tons of genres to it.

Your second mistake was lumping every single series ever made in with stuff you'd see on Toonami. Why don't you go try out Legend of the Galactic Heroes and eat some crow, Mr. Star Wars Meme Owl.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 9, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Subverting a trope is not necessarily the secret to a good story? Tropes are neither good nor bad, they're just... story elements.

The show that was pitched to the audience in the first episodes - an action horror show with high mortality, but one that is still essentially shonen - is exactly what is delivered. The plot takes some pretty wild swings early on, there's plenty of twists and turns and mysteries, but ultimately it is what it says on the tin. If someone pitched it to you as "The Wire, but animu!" then I can understand being disappointed. Taste is of course relative, so it's entirely legitimate to dislike the show.

That said, given that I have never seen you ever, ever like anything, I remain uncertain if you're simply a troll, have impossible standards, or are just hateful in general.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

They just beat Annie. Maybe something amazing will happen in the three minutes remaining but I doubt it.

Edit: Okay yeah there's a titan in the wall. Big whoop. Can't wait for Eren to beat it and absorb its power too. We got titan Megaman here

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so harsh since i know people enjoy anime for many different reasons, but it just isn't for me and this show, while being lauded as an example counter to the general crappiness of the genre, sticks just as hard to the tropes that make it unwatchable in my opinion. The only difference being, as I said before, that it is much more grim.

It's Gundam but the robots are made out of flesh, and tons of people die on screen. That's really all.

Absorb his power? Where did you get that idea? Instead of going hmm theres a titan in the wall and theres a person shown the create a substance and putting that together to get hmm maybe titans created these colossal titan sized walls you went yeah Eren will beat it and absorb its power.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ahaha, I looked up stuff for later in the manga and every single one of my predictions were true. Yeah, sorry, I guess that's why you guys were mad.

I do like the interpretation of the titans as western countries - buffoonish and ugly but possessing irresistible military might. Is the author consciously exploring Japanese xenophobia? I guess the titans would have some sort of humanity left if that were true. Could Eren represent the Japanese gaining their own nuclear weapons? Is the author a nationalist? That's all I really have left as far as interest goes, the international politics side of this show is neat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We're so "mad" because your reasoning is retarded.

Or of this is your level of thoughtfulness when posting you could just write anime off forever, miss out on actually decent series, and go back to playing and posting about bad video games like League of Legends

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 9, 2014

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

But it really doesn't subvert any sort of tropes, it sticks to them just as hard as DBZ or Gundam. It's just more grim, which I guess appeals to the adult anime fans.

I disagree, I feel like it subverts plenty of tropes. One of my favorite moments in the show is in the very first episode when Hannes can't face the Titan. In a lot of anime that guy would have just died a glorious heroic death, instead he gives in to his fear, which is most likely what would actually happen.

Also the biggest trope of all is that 100% raging spirit of vengeance Eren repeatedly fails to achieve anything of note. His burning rage and determination actually gets his entire squad, with the exception of Armin, killed in the first Trost battle. Even when he is literally burning with rage and makes a final run at Annie, she ultimately out fights him and would have gotten away had it not been for the intervention of Mikasa.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Ahaha, I looked up stuff for later in the manga and every single one of my predictions were true.

No they weren't?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Is the author a nationalist?

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure the author has gone on record saying that the Japanese occupation of Korea was a good thing for the Koreans.

Otherwise, I don't think there was all that much intended international commentary

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

Ahaha, I looked up stuff for later in the manga and every single one of my predictions were true. Yeah, sorry, I guess that's why you guys were mad.

I do like the interpretation of the titans as western countries - buffoonish and ugly but possessing irresistible military might. Is the author consciously exploring Japanese xenophobia? I guess the titans would have some sort of humanity left if that were true. Could Eren represent the Japanese gaining their own nuclear weapons? Is the author a nationalist? That's all I really have left as far as interest goes, the international politics side of this show is neat.

:psyboom: That's what you got out of this show?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brb, looking up manga spoilers and posting about them in the anime thread like a summary is the same as actually reading something, much like reading a movie summary is just like to watching that movie

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

brb, looking up manga spoilers and posting about them in the anime thread like a summary is the same as actually reading something, much like reading a movie summary is just like to watching that movie
Hey, if the absolute quality of something can't be objectively determined from its wikipedia article, then I don't know what to tell you buddy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Squidster posted:

Hey, if the absolute quality of something can't be objectively determined from its wikipedia article, then I don't know what to tell you buddy.

No you gotta look up 1 of your predictions and if its correct the rest are 100% correct. Also you misinterpret and make up stuff about what you actually did watch.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kild posted:

No they weren't?

I'm sorry, if I can predict a show this easily then it is not very good. I'm an idiot! I can't imagine I was the only one to call all of this.

threeagainstfour posted:

I disagree, I feel like it subverts plenty of tropes. One of my favorite moments in the show is in the very first episode when Hannes can't face the Titan. In a lot of anime that guy would have just died a glorious heroic death, instead he gives in to his fear, which is most likely what would actually happen.

I liked that too, and it was why I kept watching (a friend also told me about the atom bomb connection and that kept me pretty interested since i love that sort of stuff). Eren's rage accomplished a lot, and it seems fair to say that he played a pretty major role in preventing Annie's escape. He reminded me a lot of Gohan.

Honestly, the series would've been better if Eren had died and Mikasa and Armin would've inherited the key and the mission to get to the basement. I was pretty impressed when he got chomped. It would've been ballsy and might have lead to an interesting story. As it was, I was fairly bored by episode 17 or so, predicted the major twists, and stuck it out mostly to watch the admittedly pretty amazing 3D gear sequences.

Saagonsa posted:

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure the author has gone on record saying that the Japanese occupation of Korea was a good thing for the Koreans.

Gross, but yeah, that's kinda what I figured. At least it washes away any more guilt I had about trashing the series.

EDIT: Took out manga spoilers. Sorry.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 10, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Anime-only folks, don't mouse over that spoiler.
You may want to edit that out - this thread has a zero-tolerance policy on manga spoilers.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If you're gonna post about spoilers and future stuff switch over to the manga thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416034&pagenumber=185#lastpost

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Kild posted:

If you're gonna post about spoilers and future stuff switch over to the manga thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416034&pagenumber=185#lastpost

Thank you.

I'm pretty much done, though. Should I take discussion of the nationalistic undertones to the manga thread?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Darth Windu posted:

Thank you.

I'm pretty much done, though. Should I take discussion of the nationalistic undertones to the manga thread?

No.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

please don't

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think everyone would be better off if you just gave up and went away, writing off anime and manga wholesale because you somehow think Eren is analogous to a DBZ character.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Negative, it's been discussed a bunch already and no one cares anymore.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I just reached the end of the anime and I just reached the end of this thread. There's not a lot I can say about this series which hasn't already been said many times already. This show is intense, there is no other word for it. I enjoyed it hugely despite the pacing sacrifices that had to be made. I'm not terribly familiar with the tropes that it does or does not subvert so it hasn't been at all predictable for me.

First question: the outer wall is 50 metres tall, are the inner ones significantly taller? They seem that way in the graphics, but it's difficult to see in the show. Second: Is there seriously no other way to get to the top of those walls than by using masonry-breaking grappling hooks? Because they're completely sheer on the exterior and they sure as hell don't have internal stairs :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've discussed it to death and would prefer that you actually finish reading the loving thing before you spout off half-formed garbage.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

qntm posted:

First question: the outer wall is 50 metres tall, are the inner ones significantly taller? They seem that way in the graphics, but it's difficult to see in the show. Second: Is there seriously no other way to get to the top of those walls than by using masonry-breaking grappling hooks? Because they're completely sheer on the exterior and they sure as hell don't have internal stairs :v:
They seem to have rope elevators for maintenance and surface repairs - they're just incredibly slow. They had to get those cannons and supplies up there somehow!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

threeagainstfour posted:

Negative, it's been discussed a bunch already and no one cares anymore.

Any idea where in the thread it was discussed? I'd love to read it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I absolutely love that you claim you can predict a show so easily, and then conclude that if your predictions don't match the manga that can only be because the manga hasn't reached that point yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just marathonned the show while I was out sick from work for a few days. I gotta say this is probably my favorite anime I've watched in a good while. It felt like a slightly less mature and more grimdark Evangelion to me, which I actually really loved. The characters were good, the animation was generally pretty great, and the action scenes were always interesting due to the unique circumstances of the fights.

A lot of the story felt like it was just trying way too hard to be dark though to the point it actually felt a bit silly to me at times, but I still liked that about the show. Honestly that was about my only major complaint with the story, it ended on a good note that didn't feel like too much of a cliffhanger except that walls are titans bit.

Also, another great point of the show is that when it needed to bring the hype it brought the loving hype. God any of the scenes where Eren transforms into his titan form still give me goosebumps.

I'm thinking of picking up the manga now, where did the show leave off, and would I be missing a lot if I just skipped to where the show ended?

• Locked thread