Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CheesyDog posted:

Edit: Name and text are in same writing, leaning in different directions

Ah, yes, you put it in better, more concise words than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Yup, look at the red J, and the first Jesus in the answer, same writing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't want to be a secretary at that school.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

exmorte posted:

Oh its mostly the pussy poo poo adults/everyone babies their kids part that didn't sit well with me. She actually later made herself to seem an even more reasonable parent

If they're planning to teach their kids they don't own their own bodies, I really hope this person never has a daughter.

If they're planning to teach them that consent is unimportant, I really hope they don't have a son.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Worksheet says "Question 1" and then doesn't ask a question.

I love that the "teacher" crossed out Jesus but left the rest of the "student's" answer. Like they were saying the bulk of the response was fine, she just needed to swap out Jesus for Taylor Swift.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Leospeare posted:

Worksheet says "Question 1" and then doesn't ask a question.

I love that the "teacher" crossed out Jesus but left the rest of the "student's" answer. Like they were saying the bulk of the response was fine, she just needed to swap out Jesus for Taylor Swift.

And of course the teacher counted the one question wrong because Jesus, and then decided it was worth failing the student over that one question alone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
...And that student was Jesus.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

For what it's worth, I didn't get letter grades until middle school. Nearly everyone around my age that I've talked to has had a similar experience.

That and the grade and comments look like they were clearly drawn in with mspaint.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Something about that looks more like a picture that as designed by an ad company to be easily read on the side of a bus-

http://www.alliancedefendingfreedom.org/page/public-schools-matching-grant

:cawg: Betting this is the original source. Hence why it's cropped so you can't see the red bar. Google Image Search is the best goddamn thing in the world.

e: Apparently there's a story attached to this as well:

quote:

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC – According to the mother of an 8-year-old girl in North Carolina, a public school teacher rejected a paper by her daughter because it cited Jesus as her hero.

Heather Watts told local NBC affiliate WECT that her daughter Ryleigh is in the second grade at Cerro Gordo Elementary School in Columbus County. For a recent open-ended school assignment prompt, Ryleigh wrote, “My hero is Jesus.”

“My hero is Jesus because he helps me … He also makes good things happen,” Ryleigh wrote on the paper.

According to Watts, the paper was rejected by school officials. Ryleigh’s teachers allegedly asked her, “Can’t you write about something different?”

Watts was incensed, saying the school officials infringed upon her daughter’s First Amendment rights.

“I think she should have freedom to write about what she wants to write about,” Watts told WECT. “If she wants to write about Jesus, she should write about Jesus.”

After local media outlets reported the incident, Cerro Gordo Elementary School released a statement, in which they denied the mother’s claims.

“After speaking with both the teacher and the principal, we have learned that students were not restricted from writing on any topic of their choosing,” the statement says. “Columbus County Schools encourages student expression in all aspects of our educational program. We also have an open-door policy, and encourage our parents and guardians to contact or visit their child’s school to address any concerns.”

Nevertheless, Watts stands by her allegations. She told reporters that the issue has still not been resolved, as teachers insist that Ryleigh write a paper with a different theme.

Columbus County Schools’ official guidebook prohibits discrimination based on religion.

“The board acknowledges the dignity and worth of all students and employees and strives to create a safe, orderly, caring and inviting school environment to facilitate student learning and achievement,” the school guidebook states. “The board will not tolerate any form of unlawful discrimination … in any of its educational or employment activities.”

“Discrimination means any act or failure to act that unreasonably and unfavorably differentiates treatment of others based solely on their membership in a socially distinct group or category, such as race, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, religion, age or disability,” the guidebook says.

Many commenters on online news sites took offense at the school district’s apparent rejection of Ryleigh’s paper.

“The problem that should worry us here is not if this young child’s ‘constitutional rights’ were violated,” one commenter posited. “The real problem I see is that we have a group of ‘educators’ that do not have even a rudimentary understanding of the U.S. constitution [and] what it says about religion and the government. Even if you buy the ‘separation of church and state’ (as we have now morphed it), nowhere does even that perverted version of the constitution say that you can’t be religious in or at a public function.”

“Imagine that in a nation that was built for the very reason of religious persecution is now become the haven for the intolerant and a nation of moral depravity,” another commenter wrote. “… If [the U.S. Founding Fathers] could see America today, would they have made more effort to ensure God remained relevant in government?”

As previously reported, an elementary school in Tennessee rejected a similar assignment from a 10-year-old girl last year because it mentioned God. However, following a national outcry, school officials changed their minds and accepted the student’s assignment.

I'm amused by "online commenters" being part of the story now; when I went digging the image for that story is different though:

It's like a neverending rabbit hole of poo poo.

e2: Original source of the story; the one above is via ChristianNews so it's probably all you'll ever see:

quote:

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WECT) - A parent is speaking out after she said her daughter's teacher rejected a rough draft of her paper. The subject, her hero, Jesus.

Heather Watts said her daughter attends second grade at Cerro Gordo Elementary School in Columbus County. Watts said the teacher asked her 8-year-old daughter Ryleigh, "can't you write about something different?"

"I think she should have freedom to write about what she wants to write about," the disgruntled mother said. "If she wants to write about Jesus, she should write about Jesus."

Watts said this question is threatening her daughter's First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

A statement from the school denies the incident:

"After speaking with both the teacher and the principal, we have learned that students were not restricted from writing on any topic of their choosing. Columbus County Schools encourages student expression in all aspects of our educational program. We also have an open-door policy, and encourage our parents and guardians to contact or visit their child's school to address any concerns."

After meeting with her daughter's principal and teacher, Watts said the issue has not been resolved and Ryleigh is still being asked to write about something different.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

Mom is saying it happened, school is saying it never happened.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 8, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

:cawg: Betting this is the original source. Hence why it's cropped so you can't see the red bar. Google Image Search is the best goddamn thing in the world.

That's magical. It really is a banner ad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's really funny that someone would believe their fantasy of "Taking Jesus Out of Schools" is demanded, verbatim, by teachers, on innocent christian schoolgirls who just loving love Jesus

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like any teacher in North Carolina is stupid enough to step on that landmine.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
You guys are like Internet CSI.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

quote:

WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY!

Our Phones ~ Wireless

Cooking ~ Fireless

Cars ~ Keyless

Tires ~ Tubeless

Dress ~ Sleeveless

Leaders ~ Shameless

Relationships ~ Meaningless

Attitude ~ Careless

Wives ~ Fearless

Babies ~ Fatherless

Feelings ~ Heartless

Children ~ Mannerless

Everything is becoming LESS but still our hopes are ~ Endless.

In fact we are ~ Speechless

And Government is ~ CLUELESS!!

And our Politicians, ALL parties!, are ~ WORTHLESS!!
So there it is. Don't get USELESS..................

One Love,
People will forget what you said,
People will forget what you did,
But people will never forget How you made them feel.
Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly and
walk humbly with your God

quote:

FATHER, I WANTED A CAR, NOT A BIBLE

A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealers showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted. As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car. Finally, on the morning of his graduation, his father called him into his private study, told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and how much he loved him. He handed him a beautifully wrapped gift box.
Curious, but somewhat disappointed, the young man opened the box and
found a lovely, leather-bound Bible, with his name embossed in gold.

Angrily, he raised his voice to his father and said, "With all your money you give me a Bible?" He stormed out of the house, leaving the Bible behind.
Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and wonderful family, but realized his father was very old. He thought perhaps he should go to him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. But before he could make arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to him. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.
When he arrived at his father ' s house, sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father ' s important documents and saw the Bible, new, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. His father had carefully underlined a verse, Matt 7:11, "And if ye, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Heavenly Father which is in Heaven, give to those who ask Him?"
As he read those words, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealers name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words...
PAID IN FULL.

How many times do we miss God ' s blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?

If this touched your heart, please pass it on!!

Please read b4 u go home or if u are at home already, read this to the end.

My name is God. You hardly have time for me. I love you and always bless you. I am always with you. I need you to spend 30mins of your time with Me today. Don't pray. Just praise. Today I want this message to go across the world before midnight. Will you help ? Please do not cut it and I'll help you with something that you are in need of. Just dare Me! Please Drop everything and pass it on.

quote:

If you don't know GOD, don't make stupid remarks!!!!!!
A United States Marine was taking some college courses
between assignments. He had completed 20 missions in Iraq
and Afghanistan . One of the courses had a professor who
was an avowed atheist.

2iqgvol.jpgOne day the professor shocked the class when he came in.
He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, "GOD, if you are real, then
I want you to knock me off this platform...

I'll give you exactly 15 min."

The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop. Ten minutes
went by and the professor proclaimed, "Here I am GOD, I'm still waiting."

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got
out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him;
knocking him off the platform. The professor was out cold.

The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently.

The other students were shocked and stunned, and sat there
looking on in silence. The professor eventually came to,
noticeably shaken, looked at the

Marine and asked,
"What in the world is the matter with you? Why did you do that?" 2j51efl.jpgThe Marine calmly replied,
"GOD was too busy today protecting America 's
soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid
poo poo and act like an idiot. So He sent me."

The classroom erupted in cheers!

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 8, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Wives ~ Fearless

Yikes. (Also funny how they do "Children ~ Fatherless" right away and draw a connection between fathers and wives' fear.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and cold-cocked him; knocking him off the platform...
"GOD was too busy today protecting America's soldiers who are protecting your right to say stupid poo poo and act like an idiot. So He sent me."
I love that he pisses all over the sacrifice of his buddies by beating someone for exercising the rights they're out defending.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

You guys are like Internet CSI.

Looks like this email forward... got things all backwards. :c00l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vh0WmT7YQ4

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Mornacale posted:

Yikes. (Also funny how they do "Children ~ Fatherless" right away and draw a connection between fathers and wives' fear.)

That's probably intentional, but I doubt the average, super religious recipient of one of these forwarded emails would catch on to that.

:worship:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Noctis Horrendae posted:

quote:

FATHER, I WANTED A CAR, NOT A BIBLE

A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealers showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted. As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car. Finally, on the morning of his graduation, his father called him into his private study, told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and how much he loved him. He handed him a beautifully wrapped gift box.
Curious, but somewhat disappointed, the young man opened the box and
found a lovely, leather-bound Bible, with his name embossed in gold.

Angrily, he raised his voice to his father and said, "With all your money you give me a Bible?" He stormed out of the house, leaving the Bible behind.
Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and wonderful family, but realized his father was very old. He thought perhaps he should go to him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. But before he could make arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to him. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.
When he arrived at his father ' s house, sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father ' s important documents and saw the Bible, new, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. His father had carefully underlined a verse, Matt 7:11, "And if ye, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more shall your Heavenly Father which is in Heaven, give to those who ask Him?"
As he read those words, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealers name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words...
PAID IN FULL.

How many times do we miss God ' s blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?

If this touched your heart, please pass it on!!

Please read b4 u go home or if u are at home already, read this to the end.

My name is God. You hardly have time for me. I love you and always bless you. I am always with you. I need you to spend 30mins of your time with Me today. Don't pray. Just praise. Today I want this message to go across the world before midnight. Will you help ? Please do not cut it and I'll help you with something that you are in need of. Just dare Me! Please Drop everything and pass it on.

I always love this one because behind the "God is a gift" message it's trying to push, there's still a vast material reward which kind of diminishes the story.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always love this one because behind the "God is a gift" message it's trying to push, there's still a vast material reward which kind of diminishes the story.

Yeah, this and the marine one are probably the best ones I've gotten forwarded to me by my family in terms of irony.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pedophiles should be put to sleep? Like, with warm blankets and CDs of ocean sounds?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also buying the sports car but then hiding the price tag in a Bible might not be the most well thought-out plan.

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 10, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also, who doesn't speak to his dad for 30 years because he didn't get a nice sportscar?

How did the dad not notice his kid was a greedy sociopath before college graduation? And why did the dad still will the kid everything even after the kid walked out on him and never spoke to him again? If the dad forgave the kid then okay, but then why didn't he send him a letter explaining he'd gotten him the car all along and at least saved 30 years of estrangement?

Nothing anyone does in that story makes any sense :psyduck:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Boy, that Christian dad sure failed to raise his son with Christian values. What a failure of a dad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Also, who doesn't speak to his dad for 30 years because he didn't get a nice sportscar?

How did the dad not notice his kid was a greedy sociopath before college graduation? And why did the dad still will the kid everything even after the kid walked out on him and never spoke to him again? If the dad forgave the kid then okay, but then why didn't he send him a letter explaining he'd gotten him the car all along and at least saved 30 years of estrangement?

I was about to say.

I'm assuming if the guy raised his kid to be a good christian boy (Church every sunday, reading the bible), he'd have been grateful for the gift and appreciated it's significance to him.

Any normal father upon discovering his son was upset would have just kind of went with a nod and wink to hint there was more to the present.

Also how does one not notice a car key hidden in a book? Unless the thing was hollowed out significantly it wouldn't make sense.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

quote:

Our Phones ~ Wireless

Cooking ~ Fireless

Cars ~ Keyless

Tires ~ Tubeless

Dress ~ Sleeveless

Leaders ~ Shameless

Attitude ~ Careless

Wives ~ Fearless

Babies ~ Fatherless

Feelings ~ Heartless

Children ~ Mannerless

One Love,

quote:

You wake up ~ flawless

Post up ~ flawless

Ridin' round in it ~ flawless

Flossin' on that ~ flawless

This diamond ~ flawless

My diamond ~ flawless

This rock ~ flawless

My Roc ~ flawless

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Man I both love and hate those stories. They exemplify everything wrong with these people. The car one is stupid. You're telling me that father never tried to get in touch with his son or that son never reflected on his actions and realized he was kind of a jerk? Why hide the key in the bible? Why not have both in plan view? And where is the mother in all of this? She never once hit the dad and called him an idiot or called her son and explained things to him? That is a crappy family.

The soldier one is equally dumb. So god can only be in a certain number of places at the same time? I thought he was everywhere. Also, that soldier is now charged with assault.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

I think it's implied his dad knew his son would react negatively to a Bible, being a hopelessly spoiled little poo poo who needed to be taught a lesson that would take decades to implement. As everyone knows, all young people these days are complete ungrateful God-hating sociopaths who would most certainly dump their poor parents in a heartbeat if they don't get a pony for Christmas.

Honestly, as cheesy and dumb as this email forward is, it really isn't so bad compared to what else has been posted in this thread.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, wouldn't the soldier essentially be committing blasphemy for putting himself on the same level as God?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes indeed:

quote:

A United States Marine was attending some college courses between assignments. He had completed missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. One of the courses had a professor who was a vowed atheist and a member of the ACLU.

One day the professor shocked the class when he came in. He looked to the ceiling and flatly stated, “God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform. I’ll give you exactly 15 minutes.” The lecture room fell silent. You could hear a pin drop.

Ten minutes went by and the professor proclaimed, “Here I am God. I’m still waiting.” It got down to the last couple of minutes when the Marine got out of his chair, went up to the professor, and lifted up his arm to strike him.

At that moment the professor was transformed into a 7-foot grizzly, wreathed in a halo of holy fire. The bear spoke: “Blasphemer thou art, thou thinkst to take the place of God? Those who deny me face eternal fire, but you who knows my work and yet commits the sin of Satan I curse a hundred times over!” The Marine went back to his seat and sat there, silently picking at his boils. Then Richard Dawkins burst into the room, wielding a copy of The Selfish Gene and crying “Leave that boy alone, you pathetic atavism!” As the holy bear whirled around, terrible light flashing in its eyes, Dawkins shed his mortal form, raised each of his seven horned heads, and hissed. “It’ssss me you want!” Then the Lord and the Antichrist joined in the final battle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

e: Apparently there's a story attached to this as well:

I'm amused by "online commenters" being part of the story now; when I went digging the image for that story is different though:

It's like a neverending rabbit hole of poo poo.

e2: Original source of the story; the one above is via ChristianNews so it's probably all you'll ever see:

Mom is saying it happened, school is saying it never happened.

Regardless of everything else involved, I'm pretty sure you don't have a 1st Ammendment right to answer whatever you want on a test.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

gatesealer posted:

Man I both love and hate those stories. They exemplify everything wrong with these people. The car one is stupid. You're telling me that father never tried to get in touch with his son or that son never reflected on his actions and realized he was kind of a jerk? Why hide the key in the bible? Why not have both in plan view? And where is the mother in all of this? She never once hit the dad and called him an idiot or called her son and explained things to him? That is a crappy family.

It's a parable.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Regardless of everything else involved, I'm pretty sure you don't have a 1st Ammendment right to answer whatever you want on a test.

Depends on the test. For a question that has a provable right or wrong answer, probably not. But for questions that ask you to give an opinion? It'd be a pretty scary thought if schools divided into right and wrong opinions (edge cases like "all black people are literally subhuman and should be exterminated, in my opinion" being the exception). These questions are designed to test the students ability to form and argue their opinion, so by definition you have to give them the right to freely express themselves.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ArchangeI posted:

Depends on the test. For a question that has a provable right or wrong answer, probably not. But for questions that ask you to give an opinion? It'd be a pretty scary thought if schools divided into right and wrong opinions (edge cases like "all black people are literally subhuman and should be exterminated, in my opinion" being the exception). These questions are designed to test the students ability to form and argue their opinion, so by definition you have to give them the right to freely express themselves.

Of course students have a right to freely express themselves in a test answer. But that doesn't mean they have a right to a good grade for every answer.

e: not to mention the fact that in-school speech by a K-12 student may constitutionally be infringed to a greater extent than out-of-school speech

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 8, 2014

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

muscles like this? posted:

It's pretty clearly a writing exercise, not a test.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

The Crotch posted:

Yes indeed:

And

The Crotch posted:

Yes indeed:

And that bears name? ALBERT EINSTEIN

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

quote:

Our Phones ~ Wireless
Cooking ~ Fireless
Cars ~ Keyless
Tires ~ Tubeless
Dress ~ Sleeveless
Leaders ~ Shameless
Attitude ~ Careless
Wives ~ Fearless
Babies ~ Fatherless
Feelings ~ Heartless
Children ~ Mannerless

One Love,

Depression ~ Treatable

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
That bear version cracks me up every time somebody posts it. It's magical :allears:

Sex Robot posted:

And that bears name? ALBERT ALBEART EINSTEIN

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The one where a bear screams and drives over a guy with a rascal is my favorite but I can't find it :(