Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

indigi posted:

PS what the gently caress is the difference between bitcoin and litecoin and poo poo. also wtf is hashing I still don't even understand that..

litecoin is bitcoin but designed to take up extra memory instead of cpu time so that there wouldn't be a bullshit arms race. too bad, other smarter people found out how to use gpus and asics for it, so it has become a bullshit arms race anyway. hashing is a function where you can take an input and map it to an arbitrary alphanumeric string. any change in the input drastically changes the output, so you can't imitate a hash. if two things map to the same hash you're either incredibly lucky (like ridiculously incredibly and not worth talking about) or the two inputs are identical. this makes it a useful identifier, since you can't imitate it. bitcoin requires you to find a block that maps to a hash with a certain number of zeros in front, which relates to the current difficulty. more zeros = more specific hash = more time looking for the proper block = harder to mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

indigi posted:

PS what the gently caress is the difference between bitcoin and litecoin and poo poo. also wtf is hashing I still don't even understand that..

http://www.brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

that moment where some1 needs hashing explained in the funny computer forum :psyduck:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

this is what bitcoiners actually believe

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody edit the last panel to make it fun, not me though

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
dumb question (is there any other kind in bitcoinland?) - difficulty is expressed by how many leading zeroes are required in the hash, yes? so is there a difficulty level so high that the number of leading zeroes needed is actually close to, or equals, the actual size of the hash? if so does the ludicrous arms race make it even vaguely likely that this will be reached before the mythical 21 millionth coin is mined?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Not without a break in SHA-2 no, this is where the stupid "heat death of the universe" argument actually applies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cease to Hope posted:

protestantism is decentralized, though

its basically the bitcoin of religion

calvinism is the honey badger of religions

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

Somebody edit the last panel to make it fun, not me though

This is the first time I am actually annoyed by somebodies autism.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Why the 'revolutionary' aspect of Bitcoin is important to technological progress (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 33 minutes ago by sjalq

I'm quite encouraged by this community to see that the majority of us, at least at this point, are still ideologically driven. Our common ideology being neutrality.

Let me explain;

The current system is biased. It only works for some and then to varying degrees based on their "cast" in society. The poorer and less connected you are, the higher interest (as an example) you pay for things. The more you suffer from inflation etc. If you live in a country where your countrymen perhaps have created a distrustful situation, you are likely being locked out of the financial system to some degree. Perhaps you are being locked out because the politicians on one place of the map dislike the politicians on your place on the map.

Another aspect of the bias is that certain entities get near infinite funding with the consequent devaluation of the money held by the rest of society. "Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks".

Regardless of our proposed politics. Most of us feel a sense of disgust at the bias of the existing system. Personally I believe that if we were to pull that thread to its end we will discover the non-aggression principle lying there. But that is not necessary for us to make common cause.

Ideology is important because it motivates more than money; Take the following hypothetical situation: The US Federal government outright bans buying cryptocurrency. The result would be a bunch of furious geeks who will pour in their extra hours into opensource solutions to make that ruling untenable. Some of us would be so furious we might downscale our standard of living to right such an injustice. (Amir Taaki's group as an example)

To my knowledge this type of activism has not existed before. We've had hacktivism before, but those were isolated protests that frustrated the beast. Things like TOR and Bitcoin have the capacity to stab it in the heart. Before Bitcoin those geeks would have been angry but there was no president that such activism might be successful. To be honest, before it actually worked even I would have thought Satoshi's ambitions were delusional (and I'm pretty delusional).

To divorce Bitcoin and the larger revolution from extreme ideologies is to rip out its heart in the name of leaving a meaty corpse.

TLDR; To paraphrase Guy Kawasaki 'Make meaning not money, because if try to make money without meaning you will most likely end up making neither money nor meaning.'

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

IRS, are they out of their minds??? A string of characters considered property??? Gold is property and that’s why it’s a complete waste to just store it. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by sumBTC

Yes, a bitcoin is worth less than a tulip. A bitcoin has zero value. That’s exactly its strength as a currency and as a currency bitcoin is the best humanity has ever had.

A little thought will tell you that a good currency should REPRESENT value, not have value of itself.

What is the difference: Property you would buy even if you would never be allowed to exchange it for anything else. A bike, for example, you would buy even if you were not allowed to ever sell it. A bike is useful.

A bitcoin is just a string of characters and, just by itself, completely worthless. You would never buy a bitcoin if you weren’t allowed to exchange it, immediately or later, for services, goods or other money. And that’s what makes bitcoins money, not property. Bitcoin represents property, it isn’t property. IS THAT SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND?

Gold is bad as money because it has value of itself. It beautiful and a precious metal (it has a closed electron shell and so it doesn’t oxidize). It can be used in industry and to make nice things. What a waste to just store it!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

ElectricMucus posted:

This is the first time I am actually annoyed by somebodies autism.

seconds?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Should I be Paying Taxes? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by bitcointaxthrwaway

I bought quite a few BTC in 8th grade when they were less than 10 bucks, and so far I've sold around $8,000 worth this year via coinbase. I also got about 100 from selling locally grown marijuana on SR in 2012-13. Anyways, I'm a college freshman now (recently turned 18), and I plan on cashing out around $10,000 a year for the next few years to help pay for tuition and what not, and I'm wondering if I should be paying taxes on it. If so could I get away with just declaring it as "long term capital gains" tax (only 14%) if I were to 'mix' the BTC to prevent them from being traced. Also how the hell do you even pay capital gains tax on BTC? Do I need an accountant? Or can I just call up the IRS and get some forums to fill out. I'm pretty good at cashing out BTC anonymously, it's just that I want to declare it as income so I can have some income (no job yet) and borrow money to start building credit. I don't really have anyone else to ask about this sort of thing, so if any of you know where I should get started with this it would be very appreciated. If it's relevant I live in the state of Washington

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

...! posted:

(and I'm pretty delusional).

baby steps

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bitcoin Freemasonry rumors flying around (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by RodneyShubert

Recent CIA official’s suicide in Fairfax County may be of conspiratorial nature.

Fairfax is one of the wealthiest and secure Counties in the entire US holding 7 of the Fortune 500 companies and several intelligence agencies’ headquarters such as NRO, NCTC and, of course, CIA. Money alone brings trouble but when a lot of money is combined with people whose job is to pry into others personal affairs inside a small County, the result is an entire cobweb full of ruthless spiders.

Now there’s a rumor going on that the unfortunate CIA middle manager paid with his life for trying to get his hands onto secrets of his superiors. There are a lot of tinfoil hat-type theories springing here and there, but there’s one of particular interest to us.

Allegedly, some of the deceased’s colleagues claimed that there’s secret Bitcoin society involved, which has its cell in Fairfax. It seems that the CIA superiors are working with the cryptocurrency Quasi-masons and are tasked with eliminating people who become inconvenient because of their excessive curiosity, whatever the victim’s allegiance may be.

Even more than that: there's talk about Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reserve itself being a part of such secret Society with last year's November Fed statement approving of Bitcoin being used to reach two goals: to help funding Syrian rebels and reinforce Bitcoin's status all around the Globe.

Can this paranoid bullshit be true at least in some part, or maybe hint at the truth hiding behind it?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Tried to tell fellow authors about BitBooks, they respond by saying it's for nerds, that "cash" is the only option and say they'd prefer to sell their books for bananas. :) help? (kdp.amazon.com)

submitted 3 hours ago by realdylanjones

ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

I could have ignored that.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

...! posted:

For users, this has become rather problematic primarily because by the rules, users would have to keep track of all of their transactions and calculate gains/losses at the end of the year.
THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT ACCOUNTING IS

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

...! posted:

A little thought will tell you that a good currency should REPRESENT value, not have value of itself.

holy poo poo, he almost gets it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

...! posted:

Bitcoin Freemasonry rumors flying around (self.Bitcoin)

Can this paranoid bullshit be true at least in some part, or maybe hint at the truth hiding behind it?

There's fnords in the blockchain, you just have to know where to look.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

The correct last panel is loss.jpg.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

TVarmy posted:

The correct last panel is loss.jpg.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
is that what the beta band really look like

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this was the worst picture I could find on betabrand's website in like five minutes but I'm sure you can do better; I think posting their products is the only response needed when someone mention them

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

quote:

Once upon a time, the world of tactile technology was satisfied with “soft as a baby’s bottom” as the measure of absolute softness. Anyone who dared name something “softer than” the aforementioned infant’s posterior was suggesting a theoretical world of soft that existed beyond anything man could conceive.

Then Betabrand researchers invented the Tactile Soft-O-Meter®, a device that can detect and compare the density of softrons, the subatomic units of softness. Using this newfound knowledge, they were able to create pants so ineffably comfy, test subjects had to be removed from them with the Jaws of Life!

But to the chagrin of our marketing department, the Soft-O-Meter indicated that the fabric measured “Vagisoft” within a standard deviation of one softron. Vagisoft? Well, we decided that if the Soft-O-meter says it, so be it!

so they are saying their pajamas are as soft as a vagina? that seems to be what theyre going for but thats so terrible even considering it makes my head hurt

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A Pinball Wizard posted:

so they are saying their pajamas are as soft as a vagina? that seems to be what theyre going for but thats so terrible even considering it makes my head hurt

also the pockets bear an uncomfortable resemblance

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dren posted:

also the pockets bear an uncomfortable resemblance

"loose as a vajama pocket"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

but the internet in the 90s was stupid and useless oh i see what you mean

i'd say internet pre sept 93. full of racists, bigots, criminals, and other horrible libertarian academics.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr. Nice! posted:

i'd say internet pre sept 93. full of racists, bigots, criminals, and other horrible libertarian academics.
you forgot the unmedicated schizophrenics

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
big surprise!

slashdot posted:

The Register reports on a paper Arxiv (abstract below) by Christian Decker and Roger Wattenhofer analyse a year's worth of Bitcoin activity to reach the conclusion that MtGox's claims of losing their bitcoins because of the transaction malleability bug are untrue. The Abstract claims: 'In Bitcoin, transaction malleability describes the fact that the signatures that prove the ownership of bitcoins being transferred in a transaction do not provide any integrity guarantee for the signatures themselves. ... . In this work we use traces of the Bitcoin network for over a year preceding the filing to show that, while the problem is real, there was no widespread use of malleability attacks before the closure of MtGox.'
oh noes mysterious haxxors broke in and stole all our funbux while we werent looking - or, you know, not

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

the worst thing about pre 1993 internet was the loving sense of entitlement on one hand and the visions of ushering in an era of global peace and education and betterment of mankind and general p.l.u.r. on the other hand

yeah, that turned out well, didn't it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Greyhawk posted:

the worst thing about pre 1993 internet was the loving sense of entitlement on one hand and the visions of ushering in an era of global peace and education and betterment of mankind and general p.l.u.r. on the other hand

yeah, that turned out well, didn't it
were going to save democracy by putting copies of bills online where anyone can read them and comment on them and become informed! get ready for government 2.0!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You'll be able to send an "electronic mail", or "e-mail" to your Congressman! Democracy will bloom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Local news will become "wired"! Your small-town paper may put up a "bulletin board" or "message forum", where area residents may comment on news stories, lending their unique insight to such pressing issues as fluoridation of the local water system, a 0.5% tax to replace the school roof, or the president of the united states' genetic heritage

• Locked thread