Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

The linked AP report is just a status update on the Hilary shoe thrower. There's no mention of Iraq let alone any foreign entity at all. At least reference something that states this perceived popular opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I was curious to see how this fit so

quote:

The CEO has cut benefits for employees by over 50% since he has been in charge. This is the story of one worker's struggles:

Jeff Shepherd joined Conglomerated Associated, Inc. because he believed in working hard to support his family. He had grown up believing that America was the best country, and wanted to give his thanks back by being the most productive worker that he could be. When he was assigned to the main corporate building he was disappointed that he would not work next to his friends at another branch, but he was a professional. He would do what his supervisors told him to do.

So he ironed his shirts and showed up at work 15 minutes early. He showed up every day 15 minutes early. While he did not agree with the CEO's policies or decisions, he was honored that the company thought he was a good candidate to work at the head office.

Jeff watched high bills and expensive childcare costs drain his savings all winter long. Even when he was sick he showed up for work 15 minutes early. He thought it was rude of his supervisors to always be running late, and make him work even longer than he should have had to without overtime, but he swallowed his annoyance and served his company to the best of his abilities.

One morning Jeff got the flu from one of his kids (not because he had been standing outside in the snow the previous day for two hours because that's not how the flu works) while the CEO went to a hot lunch in a warm building, paid for with more money than he could ever possibly use in a lifetime. Jeff still arrived 15 minutes early to work, but was having trouble focusing. When the CEO walked by, he asked Jeff if he was feeling alright. When Jeff said no, the CEO told him that he should see his doctor. When Jeff reminded him that he had cut the employee health benefits and Jeff could no longer afford to see a doctor, the CEO told him that it was obviously Obamacare's fault and winked and then got onto his plane.

Jeff got a letter later that day that said he had been fired from the company because of his disrespect. He and his family had to move back in with his mom and he later died of pneumonia from his untreated sickness.

Forward this email if you believe the overpaid corporate plutocrats are lying sacks of poo poo who should be the ones getting fired. RIP Jeff, Noble American Worker, Hero.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Buzkashi posted:

:thurman:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

wolffenstein posted:

The linked AP report is just a status update on the Hilary shoe thrower. There's no mention of Iraq let alone any foreign entity at all. At least reference something that states this perceived popular opinion.

When the hell was the Bush shoe-thrower called a hero and how the gently caress is throwing a shoe protected by the first amendment?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wolffenstein posted:

Man throws a shoe at a Republican - 1 year in jail.

Woman throws shoe at Democrat - no charges pressed, given a warnin for disorderl conduct.

Who, exactly, are the tyrants here?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

LunarShadow posted:

So this is a thing I came across while looking for a painting of the Assassination of Alexander II.

Apparently somebody is still mad about that and blames the jews for it.....
Who the hell is angry about the killing of a 19th century tsar? This is like someone being mad that that jew Brutus killed Caesar

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Defenestration posted:

Who the hell is angry about the killing of a 19th century tsar? This is like someone being mad that that jew Brutus killed Caesar

It may surprise you that there are a lot of people mad at the Jews for things they didn't do.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

Army had a half day.

Hmm, you must be an excellent marksman and skilled in sandracing. Got to hand it to you, I'm a little jealous.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Fulchrum posted:

Woman throws shoe at Democrat - no charges pressed, given a warnin for disorderl conduct.

Who, exactly, are the tyrants here?
She got detained and charged?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

wolffenstein posted:

I remember watching that Iraqi shoe throwing video. It was harmless, so I chuckled and was impressed with Bush's quick dodges. When it happened to Clinton I just felt sad since she didn't have Bush's moves. She did have some quick-witted lines though.

I think that's the extent to which anyone compares the two events, unless they're a Republican who wants to obsess over it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

wolffenstein posted:

That's a reference to this guy:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntadhar_al-Zaidi

He WAS a hero in the Arab world; and IIRC plenty of people were supportive in the US, too.

Consider the context, though; he was getting in the face of one of the men most responsible for wrecking the gently caress out of his country and killing hundreds of thousands of his people. Anything imaginable he might have done to Bush would have been justified. What was the lady who threw a shoe at Hilary on about? Even if it isn't utter conservative horseshit it won't be on nearly the same level.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

You're a god damned hero. :patriot:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Some of those posts seem like a bizarro-world Jeff Foxworthy bit. "IF YEW PUT TEN TIMES AS MUCH ENERGY INTO DEFRAUDING THE GOVERNMENT AS GETTING AN HONEST JOB... YEW JUST MIGHT BE A MOOCHER!!!"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ya it's a nerve!!!!

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
My cousin is on a roll today. First up:

"LOL at people I don't agree with being killed!" Also, loving "mooselimb terrorist!" is a new one for me.

A mostly false story about his FAVORITE PRESIDENT OF ALL TIME!!

(sidenote: during the 2012 elections every single one of his posts were in all caps and praising the virtues of DR RON PAUL 2012!!!)

This last one strikes me as odd since he is currently serving in the Army, but maybe it's just me.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I know a ton of public workers/guys in the military who bitch endlessly about the government while cashing their government signed paychecks. So it's definitely a thing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Redo this one with the picture of the "New Black Panthers" and see what they say.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Huh, I had read that there were no charges filed. Okay, never mind.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That photo of a 13-Star flag carried by a man with modern weaponry is obviously a call to return the Northwest territories and all other tyrannical conquests to the Native Americans.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

VitalSigns posted:

That photo of a 13-Star flag carried by a man with modern weaponry is obviously a call to return the Northwest territories and all other tyrannical conquests to the Native Americans.

This is literally the only interpretation that makes sense. We should let all of those states fend for themselves without Federal assistance.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

This minuteman is dead or at the least badly wounded the first time shrapnel comes anywhere near his head. There's a reason we don't wear fancy cloth hats in to battle any more, chucklefuck.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

This minuteman is dead or at the least badly wounded the first time shrapnel comes anywhere near his head. There's a reason we don't wear fancy cloth hats in to battle any more, chucklefuck.

He's Chase Sanderson, idiot time traveler from 2014

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Who could read this and take it seriously? What the gently caress does 'anti-American slogan' even mean? Why did they only have a burned flag on their car when they could have been actively burning them? Why didn't they roll up in a steam driven vehicle burning a continuous stream of American flags inside a glass boiler chamber for all to see? Why only beards, and no turbans? Who the gently caress doesn't get the foundation of bullshit that this is built upon?

The gently caress.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Except for, you know, the militia groups that are hosed up extremists and potentially very dangerous to innocent people who happen to not share their beliefs/skin color/etc.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Wulfolme posted:

Who could read this and take it seriously? What the gently caress does 'anti-American slogan' even mean? Why did they only have a burned flag on their car when they could have been actively burning them? Why didn't they roll up in a steam driven vehicle burning a continuous stream of American flags inside a glass boiler chamber for all to see? Why only beards, and no turbans? Who the gently caress doesn't get the foundation of bullshit that this is built upon?

The gently caress.

Um, it's a joke and not meant to be taken seriously?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ledge posted:

Um, it's a joke and not meant to be taken seriously?

Careful, last time I pointed that out to someone freaking out about logical inconsistencies in a story not presented as literal fact I got my head bit off.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Looking for help assembling a good response. I'm Tom (hello, world), Dan is my older brother, and Ram is a friend of Dan's that, as far as I can tell, a FYGM rich Republican who grew up well-off and doesn't generally seem to give a poo poo (as seen here) that some people get the loving short end of the stick horribly in socio-economic background. I don't know him super well, but a lot of my brother's friends are FYGM yuppies.

Initial reaction was basically "America, the land of freedom, with the highest per capita incarceration rate in the West. America, the land of opportunity, with a skyrocketing income gap between the rich and the poor and declining social mobility." But I could use help on the "find a government that isn't really an oligarchy :smug:" handwaving poo poo, because, honestly, I have a simpleton's grasp of US politics and none of world politics or history outside of really, really basic poo poo.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magres posted:

Initial reaction was basically "America, the land of freedom, with the highest per capita incarceration rate in the West. America, the land of opportunity, with a skyrocketing income gap between the rich and the poor and declining social mobility." But I could use help on the "find a government that isn't really an oligarchy :smug:" handwaving poo poo, because, honestly, I have a simpleton's grasp of US politics and none of world politics or history outside of really, really basic poo poo.

Many oligarchies take better care of their have-nots. I think spamming a bunch of human development, inequality, education, health, etc. ranking tables and heat maps should prove that point.

Hmmm...maybe I'll take that on as a project: cycle through a bunch of data sets on the same map in a gif, americanexceptionalism.gif

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Careful, last time I pointed that out to someone freaking out about logical inconsistencies in a story not presented as literal fact I got my head bit off.

Uh, if you've got your head bit off, how the hell is this post possible then? Wouldn't you be dead :confused:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Magres posted:

Looking for help assembling a good response. I'm Tom (hello, world), Dan is my older brother, and Ram is a friend of Dan's that, as far as I can tell, a FYGM rich Republican who grew up well-off and doesn't generally seem to give a poo poo (as seen here) that some people get the loving short end of the stick horribly in socio-economic background. I don't know him super well, but a lot of my brother's friends are FYGM yuppies.

This guy's argument basically boils down to two things: 1) the world isn't perfect, so there's no point in trying to fix any problems; 2) a bunch of buzzwords that suggest America is great but actually don't loving mean anything. What does it mean for "opportunity" to be "abundant"? Abundant relative to what? What does it mean to be "free" to "pursue your dreams"?

Also, this guy must think that the rich are either incredibly stupid or benevolent. They control the entire political process but they don't use that power to cement their positions and keep others from taking their power? Maybe you should ask this guy for an example from history where power was concentrated in the hands of a small group of elites and they didn't do everything they could to hold on to it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mornacale posted:

This guy's argument basically boils down to two things: 1) the world isn't perfect, so there's no point in trying to fix any problems; 2) a bunch of buzzwords that suggest America is great but actually don't loving mean anything. What does it mean for "opportunity" to be "abundant"? Abundant relative to what? What does it mean to be "free" to "pursue your dreams"?

Also, this guy must think that the rich are either incredibly stupid or benevolent. They control the entire political process but they don't use that power to cement their positions and keep others from taking their power? Maybe you should ask this guy for an example from history where power was concentrated in the hands of a small group of elites and they didn't do everything they could to hold on to it.

It's also pretty Unamerican from the basis of it. "All men are created equal" is pretty much the cornerstone of our society, though it's refreshing to see a rich guy actually say in public what we've known was beneath the surface for awhile.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mornacale posted:

He's more saying that we just need to accept it and let the job creators have their way with us, imo. It's not that they're benevolent, more FYGM because he's rich and the poors should be happy to lick his boots.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 17, 2014

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

OAquinas posted:

Redo this one with the picture of the "New Black Panthers" and see what they say.

I've put this as a response to a friend on facebook already.

Edit- now it just needs an Afghan militia to really stir the pot.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 17, 2014

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

I unironically agree with this image and the mission of the Black Panthers in general. :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mike the TV posted:

Was there a response?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Magres posted:

All of this said, the article being linked is absolutely terrible. The method is reprehensibly bad- the authors are practically apologizing for the measurement validity threats from page one, not that it stopped them from submitting that pile of headline bait.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCW-8TmdoSU

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

That's a lot of video to just brag that you went to an Ivy League college.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Pfirti86 posted:

That's a lot of video to just brag that you went to an Ivy League college.

It's hard to take anyone seriously that compares themselves to Geraldo opening "Al Capone's vault".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Magres posted:

He's more saying that we just need to accept it and let the job creators have their way with us, imo. It's not that they're benevolent, more FYGM because he's rich and the poors should be happy to lick his boots.

But he's not just saying that, he's also trying to claim that there's a ton of opportunity to improve your life and become an oligarch. Which means that he either thinks money/power are positive-sum (in which case why don't we just find a way to make everyone an oligarch!) or he thinks that the existing holders of money/power are for some reason failing to use their station to hold down the poors. I'm saying you get to say either "yeah, life's not fair, lick my boot you poors" OR "land of freedom and opportunity," not both.