Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hunky Joe posted:

That always bothered me. I wondered how wildlings fired arrows up 700 feet with primitive bows and they still could kill a man but something something words words physics something Ren Faire something

Let me tell you about my Warhammer figures.

They mention that. Only one dude even gets hit with an arrow, it was caught by an updraft, and it didn't kill him-- it just pained and startled him and he fell off the Wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hunky Joe posted:

That always bothered me. I wondered how wildlings fired arrows up 700 feet with primitive bows and they still could kill a man but something something words words physics something Ren Faire something

Please do, we can swap stories :3:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I always wondered why George Lucas never sued over the blatant ripoff of his IP that is 40k.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Never forget the 700 foot high, 300 mile long wall of ice. That people fight off of somehow.

I'm just waiting for the day for that fuckin' wall to crack open when some dumbass blows that lovely horn that Sam found and a poo poo load of Ice Spiders come pouring out

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
trap set

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Hunky Joe posted:

Westeros feet are much smaller than normal feet, thus resolving the problems with both the Wall and Tormund's glorious member.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Ravel posted:

To be clear it just called him the Night's King, but we don't know if he's THE Night's King or if it's just a separate title.

"Night's King" is probably like "Bob" up there.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
The TVIV thread obsessing over all the rape scenes in the show makes me laugh so hard. Oh, sweet summer children, you know nothing of rape...

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

Octopode posted:

Westeros feet are much smaller than normal feet, thus resolving the problems with both the Wall and Tormund's glorious member.

Getting in the obligatory Longspear Ryk mention here.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

unlimited shrimp posted:

Viewer's guide called him the Night's King but it was quickly deleted.
He has a crown.
One shot is composed such that he's the 13th of 13 Others on screen. The Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander and reigned for 13 years.

I also find it interesting that the viewer's guide refers to the location as a "city".

Ah, ok. Thought I only counted 9, but I was too focused on trying to see what was coming forward. Don't recall a crown either, just the darth maul bumps. I guess I'll have to rewatch.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They are darth maul bumps, but I'm sure their intentionally meant to be reminiscent of a crown. But yeah, HBO mucked up and identified him as the Night's King before they were supposed to.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

They are darth maul bumps, but I'm sure their intentionally meant to be reminiscent of a crown. But yeah, HBO mucked up and identified him as the Night's King before they were supposed to.

So assuming he is the Night's King, does that mean he changed the first 12 Lord Commanders after the fact? Thats weird or I missed something.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

So assuming he is the Night's King, does that mean he changed the first 12 Lord Commanders after the fact? Thats weird or I missed something.
No, those are just 12 other White Walkers. It's just symbolism since the guy's associated with the number 13.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Reading the Night's King entry page (and with the fabulous fanart), I realize I missed/forgotten a couple of side hints stuck in the history/lore of things. Especially the Bran/Stark connection, because I usually sperg hard about the background/worldbuilding stuff.

Also, it seems less dumb and terrible now that 'they are teh human you see'.

ANyway, it's almost as if some cruel and overbearing Ice God(dess) is gearing up to fight against a cruel and overbearing Fire God(dess). HMMMM.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hunky Joe posted:

GRRM supposedly said that when he saw it to scale in CGI for the show, he straight up said "I made the wall too big."
He says Westeros is about the size of South America, but people travel up and down that thing in no time. He's not a numbers man.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

SaviourX posted:

ANyway, it's almost as if some cruel and overbearing Ice God(dess) is gearing up to fight against a cruel and overbearing Fire God(dess). HMMMM.

That sounds like it would make a great song or something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
A song of frost and combustion.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Could call it "A Song of Fire and Ice" or something. That could make a good title for an episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A poetic lyric regarding states of matter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Statecraft and the Seats of Power!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Aurain posted:

He says Westeros is about the size of South America, but people travel up and down that thing in no time.

unless they are Brienne...

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I'm pretty sure it would take well over a year to ride a horse from Colombia to the tip of South America.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
The trip between Winterfell and King's Landing took one month I believe. Plus having the whole "Kings Road" would certainly speed things up compared to hiking through the Andes or bushwhacking through the rainforest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So question after watching the latest episode - I know how it happens in the books, but how did Bran get across the Wall in the show?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Medullah posted:

So question after watching the latest episode - I know how it happens in the books, but how did Bran get across the Wall in the show?

They're staying in one of the abandoned wall castles when Sam and Gilly pop out of the floor and are like what the gently caress and Bran's like hey does that hole go to the other side and they're like yeah but dont go its cold and he's like nah bro I'm having visions and poo poo I gots to.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They're staying in one of the abandoned wall castles when Sam and Gilly pop out of the floor and are like what the gently caress and Bran's like hey does that hole go to the other side and they're like yeah but dont go its cold and he's like nah bro I'm having visions and poo poo I gots to.

this is pretty much how i ended up in Canada btw

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much it. There was no explanation given to why all the wildlings don't just go pouring through there really either. I'm guessing it was Sam pulling some book knowledge to know that it's there, but the gate Bran goes out on the other side looked pretty damned obvious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah, that's pretty much it, Sam knew because books. I'm not sure why the show writers didn't want it to be magical.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ahhh that's right.

Hahaha I just imagined the Wall climbing scene, a tired wildling struggling to reach the top, looks down and sees his bud just walk through the abandoned castle. "GODS DAMMIT"

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much it. There was no explanation given to why all the wildlings don't just go pouring through there really either.

As soon as the hobbit cripple knocks a bucket down that hole they are in for a world of poo poo.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Ahhh that's right.

Hahaha I just imagined the Wall climbing scene, a tired wildling struggling to reach the top, looks down and sees his bud just walk through the abandoned castle. "GODS DAMMIT"
Wildlings always have trouble with the Wall. Can't ever seem to find the Black Gate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much it. There was no explanation given to why all the wildlings don't just go pouring through there really either. I'm guessing it was Sam pulling some book knowledge to know that it's there, but the gate Bran goes out on the other side looked pretty damned obvious.

I thought the door Sam and Gilly go through would only open for a man of the Nights Watch or some poo poo because it's magical. Like a weirwood stops you going through unless you repeat your vows.

And I suppose the tree knows if you're a traitor in case someone like Mance rolled up and talked at it. Maybe its just a flimsy as hell plot device and not much more than that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

In the books it is. No such thing is mentioned in the show.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I always wondered why George Lucas never sued over the blatant ripoff of his IP that is 40k.

Because if the idea of retro space-feudalism was something that could be sued over, Lucas would get sued by Frank Herbert.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.

Mr.48 posted:

Because if the idea of retro space-feudalism was something that could be sued over, Lucas would get sued by Frank Herbert.

I don't think Frank Herbert is going to sue anyone over anything.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

returnh posted:

I don't think Frank Herbert is going to sue anyone over anything.

His son seems to have free reign to make bad decisions with his estate though?

I wonder how Chris Tolkien feels about George R.R. Martin's appropriation of fat hobbit saving the day.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I missed it earlier, but here's the Rolling Stone interview with Grum, which is actually pretty decent.

And even though he could have written a page a day and finished a book since Dance, that old gently caress still has a touch of the goon (or is it that we have a touch of the George? is he in us or us in him?).

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-r-r-martin-the-rolling-stone-interview-20140423

quote:

By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren't gone – they're in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Weren't orcs magically corrupted elves? I thought in tolkeins world, evil couldn't create, only destroy. So no orc cradles.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr.48 posted:

Frank's poo poo was technophobic space fascism with Islamic terminology for no apparent reason, not feudalism. And then he went senile and wrote the last 2 books. Then is son who his retarded paid a hack to take a steaming danys on his legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Weren't orcs magically corrupted elves? I thought in tolkeins world, evil couldn't create, only destroy. So no orc cradles.

Tolkien was pretty inconsistent on this stuff because it really doesn't loving matter for the story he was telling. The fact that GRRM spends days, months and possibly years sperging over dumb poo poo like this is why this is called the bad thread and not the wow that was a good trilogy thread.