Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
There's only one author terrible enough to do A Song of Ice and Fire justice: Terry Goodkind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
asoiaf: the thrilling conclusion by david foster wallace's corpse

(insert funny DFW parody here, i'm lazy)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Song of Amasec and Tarot
by Sandy Mitchell

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

whowhatwhere posted:

There's only one author terrible enough to do A Song of Ice and Fire justice: Terry Goodkind.

Terry Goodkind isnt a fantasy writer.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd like to see (pre-Alzheimer) Terry Pratchett's take on this series.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey posted:

I have considered trying this. Not sure I'm up to the task though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

whowhatwhere posted:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm trying to think of funny to say about him. But that picture pretty much says it all.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

The show already has multiple writers. One of them can easily crank out the novelization in a few weeks once the series ends.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What will Tyrion say when he mets the evil pig and who will watch the sex scene where Melissandre gets raped by a demon to gain dark powers?

Tofu Injection posted:

Nah Sanderson wrote a whole thing about it too, though it was as accepting and gentlemanly as is probably possible for someone with his religious views to be. Which really wasn't very accepting at all.

Edit: Also Sanderson wouldn't be down with writing any of the myrish swamp or fat pink mast stuff, and if that poo poo isn't in there, really what's the point?

The way I remember it, Sanderson said it's against his religion but he doesn't feel like his religion is being attacked by it, so he doesn't understand why people are being such loving assholes about it. He didn't really seem to judge homosexuals like you would expect.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
jeremy irons would make a pretty good victarion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There was an ample supply of Lemon Cakes in last nights episode.
Rest in peace, A Glistening Hodor.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Also, what is probably the best line of the series so far, when the Hound said Braavosi hair is "greasier than Joffrey's oval office".

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
Jorah telling Dany she could take over Westeros gave me hope they were going to change the series and skip all that boring poo poo but nooooo...

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Hunky Joe posted:

Jorah telling Dany she could take over Westeros gave me hope they were going to change the series and skip all that boring poo poo but nooooo...

Would've liked it aswell, but since so many characters end up in Astapor I don't think it was avoidable without changing alot of the story. Let's just hope she won't stay as long there in the series as it seems in the books.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurain posted:

There was an ample supply of Lemon Cakes in last nights episode.
Rest in peace, A Glistening Hodor.

loved the lemon cakes.

Why did they even bother with the whole Crasters thing? I assumed the crasters poo poo was to speed up some plot elements ( so they could cut them elsewhere ) . but nothing really happened.

I have to complain about this...

One of the best things about the books, is that bad things happen to good people. There isn't "justice" in any real sense of the word. Yet, TV is fascinated with that poo poo. That raped girl kills the uh.. dude who killed craster/mormont. why? FOR JUSTICE!

Ghost kills Rust, who had been tormeting him. why? FOR JUSTICE!

That poo poo is the exact opposite of what these books are about, and it bothers me to see it TV doing its "TV" thing of easy answers, and nice closure.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You're already reading his drafts.

it hurts cuz its tru

kcroy fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 5, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tahirovic posted:

The way I remember it, Sanderson said it's against his religion but he doesn't feel like his religion is being attacked by it, so he doesn't understand why people are being such loving assholes about it. He didn't really seem to judge homosexuals like you would expect.

http://brandonsanderson.com/euology-dumbledores-homosexuality/

He's an rather visible Mormon; I think his views are still even more progressive than he says at that page, but he's toeing the line as much as he can because his faith is important to him and he doesn't want to become a pariah.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

kcroy posted:

Why did they even bother with the whole Crasters thing?

I'm sure it's just to pad out Bran's story a bit and avoid him running too far ahead of the other characters. Season 4 is supposed to be largely in late book 3 territory, and yet what little material is left for Bran is all in the fifth book. I imagine there will be a ton of padding next season too, when he's a tree.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

kcroy posted:

One of the best things about the books, is that bad things happen to good people. There isn't "justice" in any real sense of the word. Yet, TV is fascinated with that poo poo. That raped girl kills the uh.. dude who killed craster/mormont. why? FOR JUSTICE!

It's because revenge justice feels good!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

kcroy posted:

Why did they even bother with the whole Crasters thing? I assumed the crasters poo poo was to speed up some plot elements ( so they could cut them elsewhere ) . but nothing really happened.

From what I understand, they cut Coldhands. By having that section in there they wrapped up a bunch of loose ends with Locke/Mutineers and added some tension to Bran's otherwise boring walk north.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I kept thinking they were just going to take a poo poo on GRRM's "no family reunions" policy and have Bran meet Jon and simply order him to let him continue on his quest as he is the freaking Lord of Winterfell and Jon is just some steward from the watch, it would have been preferable to the cop out we got which was basically Queenscrown v2.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

TK-42-1 posted:

From what I understand, they cut Coldhands. By having that section in there they wrapped up a bunch of loose ends with Locke/Mutineers and added some tension to Bran's otherwise boring walk north.

AKA the cold cut combo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah, it also "advanced" the Bolton story which is no longer being told in flashbacks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Show also confirmed/revealed something that's been theorized for a while: Lannister goldmines are dry, they're officially broke

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Episodes like this make me wonder how it is to watch the show as a non-reader. I guess it would have been exciting that Bran almost met Jon this episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/euology-dumbledores-homosexuality/

He's an rather visible Mormon; I think his views are still even more progressive than he says at that page, but he's toeing the line as much as he can because his faith is important to him and he doesn't want to become a pariah.

Pretty much yeah. That's a hard community to leave and comes with a lifetime of brainwashing. Can't blame him much when he's basically saying gay marriage is basically fine with him but in a way that doesn't conflict with the men with silly hats. I assume mormon leadership wear silly hats.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

I'm sure it's just to pad out Bran's story a bit and avoid him running too far ahead of the other characters. Season 4 is supposed to be largely in late book 3 territory, and yet what little material is left for Bran is all in the fifth book. I imagine there will be a ton of padding next season too, when he's a tree.

I hope all his scenes are just him as a tree on a hill just doing tree stuff. Like watching squirrels frolicking in his branches. Or just 10 minutes of still frame shots of the tree.

Also is it bad that every time The Hound slaps Arya in the show I cheer? I am not for child abuse but at least D&D are giving the book readers what they want.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Hunky Joe posted:

I hope all his scenes are just him as a tree on a hill just doing tree stuff. Like watching squirrels frolicking in his branches. Or just 10 minutes of still frame shots of the tree.

When Bran turns into a tree, Martin damned well better have Bran's dog pee on him.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

Brief Interviews with Hideous Mermen :effort:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

baelish: the lannisters enjoy a certain status here, among the lords, knights sworn, and, given their considerable talents and business acumen, especially the merchant fleet operators, and it would not be improper to posit that, the satisfaction of them as near assurance of the satisfaction of the aforementioned parties
ned: huh?
baelish: the lannisters run more or less run things around here

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Lemon cakes best cakes.

Also every time I spoil or reveal something to the gf (who doesn't give a poo poo about show/books) or ask a question like 'where did they get the lemons from', the show loving tells us a minute later. Leave some godamn mystery you cuntsssss.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I have a feeling we're entirely too male centric in tbb in general, but here's some recs for dark fantasy from that Rothfuss review posted earlier:

"Carol Berg has three complete epic fantasy series to her name"
"K.J. Taylor has written a dark fantasy trilogy with a villain protagonist, a unique medieval setting, and successful deconstruction of the special animal companion/chosen human relationship so prevalent in fantasy"
"Michelle West and her Sun Sword series"
"Sherwood Smith and Kate Elliott, both of whom are writing the kind of complex, meaty, plot-heavy stories with strong world-building that the fans and critics purport to love."

NB - I haven't read any of these, but can't be any worse than Ponytail McFrecklearms up there.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
seriously I want some of those loving lemoncakes
they look like lemony spongey treacle cakes instead of the dry boring poo poo i always see at stores

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

unlimited shrimp posted:

seriously I want some of those loving lemoncakes
they look like lemony spongey treacle cakes instead of the dry boring poo poo i always see at stores

Son, let me tell you about making lemoncakes.

I've seen things.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
dear lord baelish,

in exchange for some of sansa's lemoncakes,
i volunteer to be a rung on your chaos ladder.

many thanks,
ser shrimp

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Someone posted this on the PYF Funny Pictures thread:

I don't know why Gurm is so smug, because a) She finished her seven book series first, and b) her avatar shows her writting, while his is . . . well, yeah.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

That's not GRRM's twitter. He doesn't have one.

Because, you see, 140 characters is just too much loving writing for that guy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I thought the go-to joke was that he can't use twitter because he already killed all 140 characters

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I thought it was because convicted sex offenders don't have internet access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Aurain posted:

I thought it was because convicted sex offenders don't have internet access.

They only get internet access to mod TVIV.