Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I like how Roy isn't taking command. He knows adventuring parties and architecture; ships aren't in his wheelhouse and he's smart enough to know it.

I've played with some people who would pull a magic tome of airship repair out of their rear end in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's funny Roy's joking about dancing on his grave when he knows for a fact Belkar really will be dead in a few weeks.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

wdarkk posted:

I like how the two crewmen had to strain like crazy to hold the rope but Roy's just standing there holding it with one hand casually. It's an interesting reminder of how a high-level adventurer is becoming superhuman, even if they are a fighter.

Yeah, but part of that comes from items (belt of giant strength). So he's not so much superhuman as he has a super wardrobe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bigpolar posted:

Yeah, but part of that comes from items (belt of giant strength). So he's not so much superhuman as he has a super wardrobe.

The belt gives him +4 strength on top of an unmodified value of something like 20. He's pretty drat superhuman.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dolash posted:

It's funny Roy's joking about dancing on his grave when he knows for a fact Belkar really will be dead in a few weeks.

Which will probably get referenced whenever Belkar finds out about the prophecy.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

wdarkk posted:

I like how the two crewmen had to strain like crazy to hold the rope but Roy's just standing there holding it with one hand casually. It's an interesting reminder of how a high-level adventurer is becoming superhuman, even if they are a fighter.

Hell you probably become superhuman around level 5 or so. But yes by DnD rules Roy could probably survive falling from orbit.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
How long has Rich been drawing nonstick hands? Maybe it's just the darker panels, but this is the first strip I noticed them in.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

pinegala posted:

How long has Rich been drawing nonstick hands? Maybe it's just the darker panels, but this is the first strip I noticed them in.

Ever since the start of the new book.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Colonel Cool posted:

But yes by DnD rules Roy could probably survive falling from orbit.

D&D extreme sports: Get a wizard to teleport you to near-space, freefall without a way to levitate. Just need a cleric to mend your bones!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

nimby posted:

D&D extreme sports: Get a wizard to teleport you to near-space, freefall without a way to levitate. Just need a cleric to mend your bones!

You don't even need that, the worst a fall can ever do to you is 20d6 damage. An upper-mid-level fighter with a good CON score can jump off of a skyscraper and walk away to sleep it off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dolash posted:

If they meet a guy named Otto Belkar better watch out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Colonel Cool posted:

Hell you probably become superhuman around level 5 or so. But yes by DnD rules Roy could probably survive falling from orbit.

Well we've established that isn't the case

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Well we've established that isn't the case

He just finished taking a bunch of spells to the face. He wasn't anywhere near full hp at the time!

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
20d6 is pretty likely to force the massive damage fortitude save though. Not always a high enough DC that a fighter will have trouble with it, but there's always natural 1s on saves or high rolls on the damage to make you regret taking such a leap.

EDIT: Wait, no. The DC doesn't scale. I think it used to, or was that just a Coup de Grace?

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 5, 2014

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Colonel Cool posted:

IIRC a 10 in a stat score (my experience ended with 3.5e, so not sure if it changed after that) with a +0 bonus was considered "typical human/non adventurer". Which means that anything better than that (a 12 with a +1) would be reasonably stronger than your average human, escalating as you'd expect.

With typical PC's, you're looking at a range of 11-18 as your starting stats pre-bonii/penalty. That means that you're looking at a person who is starting with an innate advantage compared to Joe Shmoe.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Carrying_Capacity

The chart here shows that carrying capacity for a strength:10 is (light) 33lb or less, (medium)34-66lb, or (heavy) 67-100lb. Now, for the regular guy on the street, carrying 100lbs around walking, running, fighting, adventuring for umpteen hours a day would be considerably more than a regular day. I don't know about you but the heaviest thing I carry day-to-day is my lunch.

Jump to a (let's say) high level fighter. If we assume the +4 Belt of Giant's Strength for Roy is on top of a 18 strength (starting) plus the level bonuses (4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, let's not assume epic levels yet) that's 22+4= 26 strength, which translates to (light) 306lb or less, (medium) 407-613lb, (heavy) 614-920lb. That means, literally, that Roy can lift nearly half a ton with some effort. Hell, he could even run (though at 20ftx3 instead of 30ftx4) so about half as fast as he normally would be able to. Granted, this is a best case scenario with a minmaxxed Roy Strength Score (how often do you get an 18?) but for the sake of argument let's just say that he got a lucky roll there, and obviously was smart enough to put his best score into the most appropriate place.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

mcswizzle posted:

The chart here shows that carrying capacity for a strength:10 is (light) 33lb or less, (medium)34-66lb, or (heavy) 67-100lb. Now, for the regular guy on the street, carrying 100lbs around walking, running, fighting, adventuring for umpteen hours a day would be considerably more than a regular day. I don't know about you but the heaviest thing I carry day-to-day is my lunch.

Your average medieval serf probably engages in more day-to-day menial labor than your average cubical serf, and I imagine a 'heavy load' was estimated with that in mind.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

pinegala posted:

And everyone has sleeves, it's amazing! Although, the way arms are bending, it reminds me a little of Adventure Time.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
"Inflammable means flammable? What a country!" :v:

I'm liking this crew so much. I think they're my favorite band of secondary characters so far, and it'll be sad to see them go. Do you think they'll stick around for most of the end, or just drop our heroes out and shove-off before the middle of the book?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

mcswizzle posted:

Granted, this is a best case scenario with a minmaxxed Roy Strength Score (how often do you get an 18?) but for the sake of argument let's just say that he got a lucky roll there, and obviously was smart enough to put his best score into the most appropriate place.

What if he was too smart, though? Somewhere (On the Origin of PCs?) they allude to the fact that his father was teaching him 0-level cantrips, and expected him to become a wizard; but Roy decided to become a fighter out of spite and whatever happened with Roy's little brother. Plus, back when the party fought that mind flayer, it tried to eat Roy's brain instead of V's. And finally, one of the themes of the strip is that the OOTS isn't minmaxed; they're not optimal character builds, just like they're not the best people to protect the world.

I think it's perfectly plausible that Roy is actually smarter than he is strong.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Mind Flayer thing probably isn't just a straight up reflection of their Int scores. V has an 18, after all. My guess is it might've reflected a balance of his wisdom and intelligence, both of which he has high scores in, while V is probably a little low on wisdom.

So yeah, he's still probably stronger than he is smarter, and he's certainly got strength-boosting equipment. Roy doesn't really have any bad stats besides maybe Dexterity, he's one of those lucky roll characters for sure. Contrast with Belkar who doesn't seem to have any good stats at all except maybe Dexterity.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Roy's the experienced player who rolled well on every stat and then decided to play a fighter so he wouldn't upstage the rest of the party.

Also I saw an interesting thing that argues that even characters like Aragorn probably aren't higher than level 5 or so under DnD rules. High level DnD characters are more like Greek demigods than traditional fantasy characters.

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/587/roleplaying-games/dd-calibrating-your-expectations-2

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The spergs over at the OOTS forums have spent a lot of time figuring out the probable current stats of the party; here's the current post.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ponsonby Britt posted:

What if he was too smart, though? Somewhere (On the Origin of PCs?) they allude to the fact that his father was teaching him 0-level cantrips, and expected him to become a wizard; but Roy decided to become a fighter out of spite and whatever happened with Roy's little brother. Plus, back when the party fought that mind flayer, it tried to eat Roy's brain instead of V's. And finally, one of the themes of the strip is that the OOTS isn't minmaxed; they're not optimal character builds, just like they're not the best people to protect the world.

I think it's perfectly plausible that Roy is actually smarter than he is strong.

It's been literally stated several times that Roy's best stat is his strength, and this comic is just reinforcing that. Roy is just one of those lucky sumbitches who have good stats across the board and he's pretty clearly the second smartest after V. I don't think anything much should be inferred from the mind flayer comic, although the OotS forums have sperged to death over it, but it's worth noting that Roy's wisdom (probably) and charisma (explicitly stated) scores are better than V's.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I remember someone once joked (in here?) that Roy's worst stat was Charisma because keeping these morons in line was so difficult.

As for fighters becoming superhuman: isn't there an equivalent version of D&D which allows physical fighter dudes to have versatility on par with wizards by straight-up allowing them to do Fist of the North Star type stuff?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

That's a late 3.5/4e thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Speedball posted:

I remember someone once joked (in here?) that Roy's worst stat was Charisma because keeping these morons in line was so difficult.

As for fighters becoming superhuman: isn't there an equivalent version of D&D which allows physical fighter dudes to have versatility on par with wizards by straight-up allowing them to do Fist of the North Star type stuff?

In 4th Edition D&D, Martial power type character classes (Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlord) all have special moves all their own yes.

Barbarians got the sweetest upgrade though, with Rages becoming more of a thing where you channel some kind of ancestor/totem/elemental spirit and gain supernatural powers while flipping out.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Speedball posted:

Power? Yes, in 4e. Versatility, though? No, never.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheBlandName posted:

20d6 is pretty likely to force the massive damage fortitude save though. Not always a high enough DC that a fighter will have trouble with it, but there's always natural 1s on saves or high rolls on the damage to make you regret taking such a leap.

EDIT: Wait, no. The DC doesn't scale. I think it used to, or was that just a Coup de Grace?

Massive damage is Fort DC 15 or die if you take at least 50 damage in one hit. This one is pretty easy to succeed unless unlucky past a certain level. Coup de grace is Fort DC 10 + damage dealt or die, and since critical damage scales much faster than save bonuses, this remains a nearly guaranteed kill.

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can't take versatility out of magic. Unless you reduce it to a few special moves that all do basically the same thing.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 6, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's pretty easy to take the versatility out of magic, really. You just have to discard the utterly idiotic idea that "Hey they only have so many spell slots per day so those spells can do pretty much anything, that's balanced right?"

The moral of the story is that Vancian magic is terrible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Speedball posted:

Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords or whatever was that for 3.5e. It was great, it made melee characters actually useful, and gave them more things to do in a fight than full attack every round. I'd argue that it's one of if not the best things in 3.5e.

So, of course, grognards hated it. The idea of melee characters doing things was "unrealistic", they shouldn't be comparable to mages, etc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords or whatever was that for 3.5e. It was great, it made melee characters actually useful, and gave them more things to do in a fight than full attack every round. I'd argue that it's one of if not the best things in 3.5e.

So, of course, grognards hated it. The idea of melee characters doing things was "unrealistic", they shouldn't be comparable to mages, etc.

They're fine with the idea that a high-level fighter has enough strength to lift a small building but god forbid he get any useful abilities from it, that's unrealistic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God forbid he actually lift the building!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well not compared to a 3.5 wizard but the way 4E is set up they're about on the same page within the system, especially since most of what would be a useful non-combat spell in 3.5 went into rituals and anyone can be a ritual caster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cat Mattress posted:

You can't take versatility out of magic. Unless you treat it like you do literally every other source of abilities or powers

Yeah man. Unironically let's do this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eat the rich magical.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Starting with their thumbs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
No war but class war! After that we'll get to the Blood War.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Didn't it have some extremely horribly worded ability, Iron Heart Surge or something, that was so vague as to be useless without house rules? Also something about martial arts that light you on fire.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
That was the ability that let a Drow turn off the sun right. Great idea.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

jsoh posted:

That was the ability that let a Drow turn off the sun right. Great idea.

Weren't Drow the ones who had an ability called darkness that made a pitch black room brighter? And had a time keeping stone that only worked using an ability that no longer existed?

3.5 had some weird quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Your average medieval serf probably engages in more day-to-day menial labor than your average cubical serf, and I imagine a 'heavy load' was estimated with that in mind.

No doubt, I was just trying to illustrate the difference between average joe and herculean hero. Carrying on in your day to day tasks (including harvesting/planting, milling, building, smithing, and plenty of other things done 'back in the day') would've been impractical at best, with 100 lbs on your back. And that's with a 10 strength. That was my point.

The linked OOTS forum post says Roy's strength is 24, which is only 2 less than I had presumed. Even if we take out the +1 modifier, he's lifting the better part of a half ton without a whole lot of effort. Not to consider the pushing/pulling rules which IIRC multiply that load a few times. There's a distinct difference between using a cow to pull a tool to till the ground for planting, and punting that cow, tool, and person at the same time across the entire field.