Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ok so, watching through this thing for the first time. Trip report, episode per episode so far: :getin:

1. How to convince a teenager: "Well, you don't have to pilot it. I've got this person as a backup... Yeah, she's covered in wounds, but iii guueeess I don't reeeeally have a choice. Oh, now you want to pilot it? Great!"

2. Starting to understand the appeal of this show. Piloting a robot isn't "cool", it is horrible and stressful and traumatizing. That point is being conveyed pretty nicely, was worth spending most of the episode on the "Shinji moves in with someone" plotline to get that point accross.

3. Great and now he's being beaten up for piloting as well. Kid must love doing this by now. I'm starting to dig the way his character made, with the whole 'does what he's told for fear of rejection' thing and the not-running-away. Kind of shows in the battle - he's fighting like he's checking off a checklist. Aim, pull trigger, hide, etc. Oh poo poo you're knocked down and running out of energy, time to retreat what ok he didn't like that word oh what now is the time to rush in and swing a knife around?? Good thing it worked or you'd be dead you loving idiot!

4. Wow, this is actually an extremely real way someone would handle a trauma. I like the constant sound of cicadas. Like the character building, like the atmosphere, like this show. If I was 10 years younger I could probably identify with this as well.

5. Okay. That's one way to introduce a character. Coming naked out of the shower and oh whoops what an accident. The 80's :ughh:

6. Wow ok one more to the list of traumas, piloting the Eva for a grand total of one second and then boiled alive on entry. Wow. Wow ok one more in the line of guilt trips, "thats fine you don't have to face the instakill cube, i'll do it instead (marches off to death)". Using all the energy of Japan to charge a shot is pretty rad! Really dig this episode. Haha looove the way the shield and eva was melting when blocking the beam. So after this abstractly-shaped angel with perfect offense and defense and the pilot boiling, i'm extremely interested to see what comes next!

7. Pointless: The Episode? I guess NERV are half-evil! For some reason really digged the silhouette shot of Unit 01 running up to the robot. Hahaha, password is "Hope", that's a nice piece of worldbuilding right there. Nice.

8. Ok next angel is apparently another standard monster-of-the-week kind of thing? I don't mind Asuka as a character (I am keeping in mind all the tsundere poo poo basically came after this) but what's up with all the fanservice poo poo. Also all the tension is gone from the fight, the Floating Cube thing was extremely tense but now everyone is acting like this is just another day at work, killin' dem bad dudes and accidentally touching each others sensitive parts in the cramped cockpit. I remember in ep2 when his arm was being pulled and Shinji was grabbing his own arm and panicing, this time they got bitten in half by razor sharp teeth and reaction is "baka no gaijin dont put your hand theeere~" Hope it doesn't devolve from here? What what the gently caress was that at the end of the next-ep-preview, Asuka coming out of the shower and "NEXT WEEK: OF COURSE, FANSERVICE!". Am I hallucinating poo poo?

9. I was apparently not hallucinating poo poo. Ooooh and the angel split exactly where it was cut, how convenient. Ok fighting an angel is now a beautiful balette instead of a terrifying experience. This is the exact opposite of what I liked in the first 6 episodes. "NEXT WEEK: MORE FANSERVICE"

10. Ok Asuka just asked if her boobs will grow bigger if they're hot. Ok I really don't like where this is going. Was hoping to show this series to the gf but that is off now as i'm alone and already feel embarrased watching this. I am an adult and watch adult movies which contain sex but there is a difference with that and this which is just showing T&A to attract horny teenagers. Ok diving into magma is an extremely cool scene, ok now we're back to the weird and scary poo poo again! Just the idea of an embryo monster kind of floating around in the earth's magma is extremely cool. The hatching scene was brilliant. Can we have more of this and the intelligent emotional scenes and less of the, well, the shite? Oh god they did it they did they hot springs thing. "Baka no Shinji! You hit my sensitive parts" "Let me have a look" "Stop it, that tickles~" "I-- It's standing up..." :shepicide: oh god "NEXT WEEK: GUESS WHAT MORE FANSERVICE"

Summary so far: Dig the emotional development of shinji. Dig the creativity and psychadelic imagery. Dig how the Eva are conveyed as huge clunky imperfect pieces of machinery with some unexplained living thing inside. Dig the way they show that hey being in battle is actually a traumatizing experience. Do not dig the fanservice which kicks in outta the blue after 8 episodes. Do not dig robo balette monsterkilling. Dig the mystique around the angels. Do not dig angels going from weird abstract things to mosnter-of-the-week fare. Looking forward to more dig's and less do-not-dig's.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh, you're in for a treat in the next episode if you loved the horror stuff.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I think the "Asuka Arc" is easily the worst part of the show. It's kind of necessary, but not really.

It gets better later.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Franz von Dada posted:

I think the "Asuka Arc" is easily the worst part of the show. It's kind of necessary, but not really.

It gets better later.
Thank god this immature retardation has an end somewhere.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

Oh, you're in for a treat in the next episode if you loved the horror stuff.
Your avatar is the best thing.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Bisse posted:

Thank god this immature retardation has an end somewhere.

I've shown this show to a couple of friends and this is the part where they always go "did they change the writers or something :raise:"

And there is nothing else to say but "yeah, this gets kind of retarded now :geno:" and assure them that it doesn't stay that way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
NERV, evil? Nonsense, they are truly the heroes saving the world with no hidden agendas. *Replaces glasses*

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So wait, there's something I'm not really understanding here.

What I've read of the Eva manga (which is about half of it) indicates that it keeps most of the basic plot beats and the basic character concepts and throws out pretty much everything else. It is fundamentally a different work, and while the characterization is different from the anime, it largely makes sense within the context of the manga.

Following from that, how the hell does writing a different story with the same premise indicate that Sadamoto doesn't get the original story or characters? :psyduck: It follows way more logically that he does understand the original NGE and just chose to write something different.

Also, dude who's watching the series for the first time, the "MORE FANSERVICE" thing is a joke. You might not realize it now but you're gonna realize it later on. :unsmigghh:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 10, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dance Like You Want To Win rules and I won't accept otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9ExScjBno

Also ends with a Double Inazuma Kick which is a nice throwback.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So what's the best way to see the original show? Steams on the internet of the original are pretty bad quality, is there any way to watch it in HD?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, the remastered DVD's that came out like last decade are the best you're gonna get at the moment. Might be some Blurays for the 20th anniversary in a couple of years but that's pure speculation.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

While I personally consider it blasphemy to diss the show's action arc (it has some of the best well laid out action scenes in anime even if they aren't all that impressive technically speaking) and speaking ill of Dance Like You Want To Win is DOUBLE BLASPHEMY, I'm glad you came in more or less with the right expectations because hoooo boy.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Keep on trucking, son, the real dark souls Evangelion starts here.

Keep us posted. :allears:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Bisse posted:

9. I was apparently not hallucinating poo poo. Ooooh and the angel split exactly where it was cut, how convenient. Ok fighting an angel is now a beautiful balette instead of a terrifying experience. This is the exact opposite of what I liked in the first 6 episodes.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Haha the synchronized fight was probably my favorite action scene.

Also don't get so hung up on the fanservice poo poo, not yet at least. :allears:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Forums poster Bisse do you want to become one with me?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
If it’s too painful, you can always make it stop.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
C'mon, the only reason we watch Rebuild is for all the sweet, sweet fan service.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Where's the Fan-service in Eva? I'm a bit confused by all of this. As far as I remember there's no panty shot bull poo poo or stuff like that. (Except the "what if" Eva world at the end).

My definition of fan service would be more something that comes after the show has established fans and create spin offs or merchandise. Which Eva does do but not during the series.

How did everyone here start watching Eva?

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 11, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
You sir, have a poor memory

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

You sir, have a poor memory

It doesn't stick out too much if I remember.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The joke is that the episode preview would always promise fanservice in the next episode.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.
- Apologies; this was in poor taste. Removed -

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 11, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

It was a good action scene. I'm just not interested in action scenes is all, if I wanted action i'd rewatch Gurren or something. It was also kind of overshadowed by the rest of the episode which was pretty bad written and seemed to be all about trying to get my dick raging for teenage girls.

Going to keep watching now, here I go.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Jesus christ what.

I don't get this board's obsession with wanting to convince everyone they're not creepy while spectacularly failing to do so.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ADTRW is my go-to forum for ironic bad posts and the ironic probations that follow them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just realised Asuka serves a very important role in both Evengelion and Rebuild. In both series she is the canary as in once she gets knocked out all those hoping for a happy ending should get out whilst they still can.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bisse posted:

It was a good action scene. I'm just not interested in action scenes is all, if I wanted action i'd rewatch Gurren or something. It was also kind of overshadowed by the rest of the episode which was pretty bad written and seemed to be all about trying to get my dick raging for teenage girls.

Going to keep watching now, here I go.

Not to be rude, but if you aren't interested in action scenes why would you ever consider watching Evangelion? There is a lot of psychological stuff to enjoy, but it is a genre defining mecha anime. There will be action.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The show does great action scenes but it is remembered for the other things it does. I think watching it for what made it famous (or infamous, depending on who you ask) is fair, though you miss out on part of what makes it such a unique experience.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The best action scenes in NGE are the ones where the EVAs look monstrous and move slowly and give really heavy looking punches (Asuka's EoE fight being the best out of them all). The "dance like you want to win" ballet is pretty awesome in its own right, but it's still silly and doesn't really fit the overall mood of the show. At least in my opinion.

This is also one of my problems with the Rebuild films where the EVAs don't seem to have any weight to them and just bounce all over the place like its nothing.

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 11, 2014

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't remember any fan service in Eva maybe you should watch rebuild 2.0 again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think what I enjoy most about Eva is the scale of everything. The tiny little catwalks on the two walls that separate to release Unit-01's arms, Tokyo-3 dropping entire city blocks into the geofront to block a laser, NERV HAZMAT teams cleaning up intestines and gore with massive skyscraper cranes, and weapon caches the size of apartment buildings

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Franz von Dada posted:

This is also one of my problems with the Rebuild films where the EVAs don't seem to have any weight to them and just bounce all over the place like its nothing.
Literally the entire run up to the Sahaquiel fight is to say exactly otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-e23VJCILw

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Pretty much my biggest problem with Rebuild is that they dropped a lot of the Cronenberg-esque body horrorness of the Evas in exchange for slick modernistic stuff. I can sort of see a narrative reason for it if you interpret Rebuild as a reaction to Millenial japanese sci-fi in the wake of Eva, but on a purely superficial level they took out one of my favorite things.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Captain Invictus posted:

Literally the entire run up to the Sahaquiel fight is to say exactly otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-e23VJCILw

No, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

I know Eva Units can run fast and jump high, but all those giant leaps through the sky are way too much. Sure, we see they destroy the enviroment they step on, but they don't look heavy. They're too slick and neat. This is hard to explain, but I guess the original Units just felt more gritty and had these clunky movements that made them seem like heavy machinery rather than super robots that can do anything. Maybe it was because of the lack of budget but then [plinkett] the limitations just made it cooler. [/plinkett]

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rebuild evas are different beasts than original series evas, no pun intended.

In the series they're a burden to their pilots, controlling them is a struggle, they have their own souls that may or may not have been enslaved into the role they serve, etc. It's appropriate for them to be huge and lumbering and heavy. There's also a lot of emphasis on the relationship between the pilot's body and the eva, giving us stuff like the scene where Shinji firsts breathes LCL, Gendo burning his hands on Rei's entry plug, and a lot of other examples. It's all very physical.

A major theme in Rebuild in general is that it takes the hidden and internal and makes it blatantly and grotesquely explicit. This comes up in with both the new and redesigned angels, the shogi scene in Rebuild 3, and also in the evangelions themselves. Piloting is still a curse, but it's described (comparatively) more in terms of addiction and stunted emotional growth instead of physical pain. Instead of being barely-communicative others, they're more like the pilots' repressed desires brought to life. So basically the anime version of this.

That doesn't mean there's no horror though, just that the horror is more about the psyche than the body, although there's still some of each. Mari is an obvious example here, seeing as she literally pilots by tapping into her Id, and her Evangelion turns into this fluid, animal-like monstrosity as soon as she does. Shinji's apocalypse doesn't affect him bodily, but it turns his entire world into a post-apocalyptic vagina dentata. The stretchy, gangly-limbed evas aren't war machines, they're divine beasts, they're the actual gods to the original series' stone idols. (Appropriately, since EoE was all about the power behind the evas becoming immanent.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Words about original/rebuild

I seriously love your interpretations of the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Instead of being barely-communicative others, they're more like the pilots' repressed desires brought to life.

This is the really big difference, I think, between the two. In the original series The Beast was a terrifying thing that ran out of control but in the movies The Beast is a more direct representation of the pilot's own desires. It is also why the Dummy System is played up as being even more terrifying and wrong than it is in the series. This isn't just the Evangelion acting in a berserker rage as we've seen before, it is it becoming a red-eyed monstrosity that literally forces its pilot to be tied to the controls. The second part is pretty important as a thematic difference. The original Dummy System takes control away from the pilot entirely while the new model forces the pilot to be complacent in the acts.

It's also pretty important to what happens in the ending. Rebuild 2.0 is pretty straight up on the idea that the Evangelion pilots are directly responsible for their actions. In retrospect it makes Mari's The Beast mode make more sense because it drives home the idea that The Beast isn't this uncontrollable other inside of the Evangelion. It's the pilot's will driving it. So when Shinji goes full on Godvangelion at the end and he is in complete control of the process, it's a natural extention of The Beast mode turning his desires and wills into reality. In this case to an extent and level that is literally apocalyptic.

Eva-01 still goes berserk in Episode 1 but in retrospect that doesn't mesh with the idea of how Evangelions work later on, although viewers are expected to take it as the familiar. Most notably, they remove the scene where Shinji sees the biological 'face' of the Evangelion and recognizes he's piloting a living being. The only way to really makes sense is if Shinji himself is the person who killed the Angel without realizing it. (That or they just hadn't intended the way the plot was going by that point and were doing a more straight-up remake of the show!)

The original show is a lot more focused on how terrible it is for these teenagers to be put into these monsters they don't understand. The Rebuild is a lot more focused on how terrible it is that these teenagers are given nearly godlike power and that it has an extremely negative impact on their emotional and physical health and maturity.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImpAtom posted:

Eva-01 still goes berserk in Episode 1 but in retrospect that doesn't mesh with the idea of how Evangelions work later on, although viewers are expected to take it as the familiar. Most notably, they remove the scene where Shinji sees the biological 'face' of the Evangelion and recognizes he's piloting a living being. The only way to really makes sense is if Shinji himself is the person who killed the Angel without realizing it. (That or they just hadn't intended the way the plot was going by that point and were doing a more straight-up remake of the show!)

I don't think it's a contradiction. "Shinji killed the Angel without realizing it" is an apt way of putting it, and whether he's in control depends on some very fine semantic details. I think the urge to kill the angel came from somewhere within him, but whether you can be held personally responsible for something you never consciously chose is a sticky question.

Or put another way, the evangelions don't just respond to the pilot's will, in fact responding to their will might even be considered a secondary, minor effect of what they really do, which is responding to the pilot's raw emotions and drives. That's why Gendo's evil plan is "make Shinji care about Rei" and not "make Shinji consciously obey my commands while piloting and override control if I can't."

It would also make Fuyutsuki's advice about the importance of staying calm even more telling.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think it's a contradiction. "Shinji killed the Angel without realizing it" is an apt way of putting it, and whether he's in control depends on some very fine semantic details. I think the urge to kill the Angel came from somewhere within him, but whether you can be held personally responsible for something you never consciously chose is a sticky question.

Or put another way, the evangelions don't just respond to the pilot's will, in fact responding to their will might even be considered a secondary, minor effect of what they really do, which is responding to the pilot's raw emotions and drives. That's why Gendo's evil plan is "make Shinji care about Rei" and not "make Shinji consciously obey my commands while piloting and override control if I can't."

It would also makes Fuyutsuki's advice about the importance of staying calm even more telling.

You have to wonder exactly how much of what happens in Rebuild 2.0 is directly Gendo's plan. At very least it seems to work out remarkably well for him. Putting Asuka in the Evangelion served to set up the catalyst for a lot of stuff, but we also see him attempting to use the Dummy Plug again and talking about Yui rejecting him.

Of course, being Gendo, he could have like seven contradictory plans going on at any one moment.