Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Currently reading Legion. It is a good book.

Confirming this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Confirming this

Really? I feel it's one of the weakest in the series, outside the downright bad books.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The ending is as Abnett as you can get, doesn't feel much like a HH book, and introduces a much controversial character/element to the series, but as a story it's overall pretty good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I liked Legion and I dig Abnett but I was hungry for anything Heresy/Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion related at the time so my opinion may be a tad skewed.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Really? I feel it's one of the weakest in the series, outside the downright bad books.

You're objectively wrong. There's nothing not to like about space Dacians with falxes and a space Ottoman Empire. I don't even follow the conspiracy itself in the book because I tend to speed read and it's still enjoyable because of the :laffo: factor.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Legion is personally one of my favorite. It really nailed the Alpha Legion as something real rather than just *stealth marines* and gave them an incredible amount of depth. Grammaticus was also a cool character but later authors really butchered him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AndyElusive posted:

I liked Legion and I dig Abnett but I was hungry for anything Heresy/Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion related at the time so my opinion may be a tad skewed.

I like the Alpha Legion, too. Pity they're barely in this book and turn traitor because of a bunch of aliens showing them a vision and insisted it's true when Grammaticus notes throughout the book that they've been getting things wrong and timetables are wrong. Even Horus was less credulous than that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Presumably, I interpreted it as that the Actuity also had some methodology to affirm it's authenticity. I don't think it's just like a VHS they pop into a space VCR that could be doctored. Either that or the Actuity also showed Alpharius and Omegon a bunch of things they were already planning on doing, making them realize it at least possessed some sort of actual foresight.

I thought the less believable thing was how willing the Alpha Legion was to listen to John, but again, this is explained in-well and as it turns out the Alpha Legion isn't really 'listening' to John very well.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I just started reading Descent of Angels and I'm not sure if I can finish it. So far this book is horrible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They could honestly use that as the marketing quote on the cover of 95% of the books BL publish.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

They could honestly use that as the marketing quote on the cover of 95% of the books BL publish.
:saddowns:
I want to like the book. BOOK LET ME LOVE YOU!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I like the Alpha Legion, too. Pity they're barely in this book and turn traitor because of a bunch of aliens showing them a vision and insisted it's true when Grammaticus notes throughout the book that they've been getting things wrong and timetables are wrong. Even Horus was less credulous than that.

Yeah, even Horus doesnt really believe the chaos vision were 100% real. The visions just fed his own existing frustrations about the direction of the Imperium. Chaos amplified his innate ambition and dislike of taking orders. The HH shows us that the whole image of him as the perfect son before his exposure to chaos is a fake one, since even before his wound and chaos taint he was always scheming and being a ruthless politician behind a mask of benevolence. Hell, the whole point of the Mournival was to disguise his own lust for war by making it appear that he is reluctant call for military action at every opportunity, even thought thats exactly what he plans on doing all along.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 11, 2014

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Mr.48 posted:

Yeah, even Horus doesnt really believe the chaos vision were 100% real. The visions just fed his own existing frustrations about the direction of the Imperium. Chaos amplified his innate ambition and dislike of taking orders. The HH shows us that the whole image of him as the perfect son before his exposure to chaos is a fake one, since even before his wound and chaos taint he was always scheming and being a ruthless politician behind a mask of benevolence. Hell, the whole point of the Mournival was to disguise his own lust for war by making it appear that he is reluctant call for military action at every opportunity, even thought thats exactly what he plans on doing all along.
Wait, what? Not it isn't. The Mournival is used for political maneuvering, but making it look like Horus-doesn't-want-war-when-really-he-does is not its sole purpose, it's just one thing it's used for, one time.

Horus explicitly tries to not make war on the Interex, in spite of advice from the Mournival, and the suggestion that the Emperor totally would if he were still part of the crusade -- Horus says something like how the nature of the crusade has to change, and where previously they'd just wipe out the Interex he really wants to make a go of diplomacy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And I finished Scars today. I think it's a good entry in the series, if a bit weird in places. I liked the insight into the recruitment of Astartes aspirants from Terra and the acclimation of Terran initiates into a legion transformed by their primarch, and the conversation between Jaghatai and Magnus is one of my favorite character moments I've read in the entire series so far. More characterization for Mortarion was also welcome, and I think it's fitting for the chosen primarch of Nurgle that he comes across as oddly pathetic, already beginning to drown in a quagmire of doomed hopes and unwise decisions.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Welp i really enjoyed the first Ciaphas Cain novel and i am not really sure why. Sadly my friend only had the first one, and like everything on Black Libraries website all the omnibuses are out of print, and unfortunately each of the Ciaphas cain Omnibuses are selling for around ~60 bucks a book on amazon. Which is loving insane.

Now the omnibuses for Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Gaunts Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain are all out of print. What is going on?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Welp i really enjoyed the first Ciaphas Cain novel and i am not really sure why. Sadly my friend only had the first one, and like everything on Black Libraries website all the omnibuses are out of print, and unfortunately each of the Ciaphas cain Omnibuses are selling for around ~60 bucks a book on amazon. Which is loving insane.

Now the omnibuses for Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Gaunts Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain are all out of print. What is going on?

In the last 6-12 months BL ceased publication of the omnibus editions of many of their series to try and force people to buy the digital versions.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Noctis Horrendae posted:

You're objectively wrong. There's nothing not to like about space Dacians with falxes and a space Ottoman Empire. I don't even follow the conspiracy itself in the book because I tend to speed read and it's still enjoyable because of the :laffo: factor.

The analogies you use in this post are so vague I don't know what you could possibly mean with them. Space Ottoman Empire?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

vigorous sodomy posted:

The analogies you use in this post are so vague I don't know what you could possibly mean with them. Space Ottoman Empire?

I don't think it's supposed to be vague, I think he means Space Ottoman Empire in the same sense as Vahallans are Space Russians and Fenrisians are Space Vikings. I neither remember Legion well enough nor know enough about the Ottoman Empire to know if he's full of poo poo or not, though.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

pentyne posted:

In the last 6-12 months BL ceased publication of the omnibus editions of many of their series to try and force people to buy the digital versions.

Which is dumb as poo poo because most of the digital bundles costs 3-4x the cost of the omnibuses.

3 x Gaunts Ghosts omnibuses = ~40$ (note this was awhile ago)
EBook Bundle = 192$

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes, and BL don't have to share that huge markup with printers or retailers.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.
If you want omnibuses, you should really check out ebay. I needed to find the Eisenhorn omnibus for my friend as a Christmas Gift last year, and found a brand new copy of it for 34 bucks. A little much for a book, yeah, but I'm sure they have used ones on there for cheaper.

Amdis
Jan 9, 2007

I just finished Helsreach and I'm about to start Blood and Fire. Any other space marine battle books worth reading?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Amdis posted:

I just finished Helsreach and I'm about to start Blood and Fire. Any other space marine battle books worth reading?

Legion of the Damned and Battle of the Fang.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

The regiment that one of the central characters is a part of uses ranks like het and bashaw (which were used frequently by the Ottomans), and their uniform is described as being a generic 1800's Middle Eastern style kit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You can see their uniforms pretty clearly on the cover of Legion, even.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Also, the cover implies that it takes place on a desert planet. If the (intentionally vague) analogy doesn't make sense immediately upon looking at the cover, v0v.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Which is dumb as poo poo because most of the digital bundles costs 3-4x the cost of the omnibuses.

3 x Gaunts Ghosts omnibuses = ~40$ (note this was awhile ago)
EBook Bundle = 192$

drat that sucks. They do the same thing when print Omnibus editions are planned to come out. They stopped publishing the Night Lords trilogy of novels because the omnibus is set to release in June/July. I expect they'll get it a year or 2 before discontinuing it, so everyone make sure to buy it on release.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Amdis posted:

Wrath of Iron is probably the most grimdark piece of 40k there is. Read it, it's great.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'll recommend Legion of the Damned, it's up there with Wrath of Iron in the grim darkness department and is quite good on its own.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Storm of Iron is also pretty loving grim.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Also, the cover implies that it takes place on a desert planet. If the (intentionally vague) analogy doesn't make sense immediately upon looking at the cover, v0v.

Oh my fault. I'll get my military uniform and rank structures lore up to snuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So i've been re-reading some of the early Horus Heresy books. Skipped over Nemesis for the obvious reason that it's not very good.

The thing that occurs to me and annoys me about that book, is it should have been great. Basicall it's the dirty dozen, only they're master assassins of different orders, gently caress yes!

The problem of course is they can't succeed in the Heresy. You know they're doomed to fail from the start, and seeing how they fail isn't that interesting.

They should have told that story in the modern 40K setting as a stand alone novel. Get some up coming Chaos Lord, one of Abbadons generals or something similar, who is going to do something crucial for the next black crusade, and they have to go after him.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

Oh my fault. I'll get my military uniform and rank structures lore up to snuff.

Good.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
For any of you who may have wanted to try your hand at "Regicide":

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/13/warhammer-40000-chess-regicide-announced-because-nothing-is-more-warhammer-than-chess/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think that is the first time that a Space Marine has not had a British accent. Also, the fluidity that the Marines move with in that trailer is unsettling. In every other video of a Space Marine, they move with exaggerated gravity and slowness - an eight foot living tank moving that smoothly is scary looking, and 100% fulfills the BL descriptions of Space Marines "moving with a speed that belies their bulk."

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think that is the first time that a Space Marine has not had a British accent. Also, the fluidity that the Marines move with in that trailer is unsettling. In every other video of a Space Marine, they move with exaggerated gravity and slowness - an eight foot living tank moving that smoothly is scary looking, and 100% fulfills the BL descriptions of Space Marines "moving with a speed that belies their bulk."

Yeah the whole space marines walking like normal people was really unsettling. Bolters still sounded like machine guns sadly. The only game that has ever made you feel like you were using a bolter was fire warrior.

Regicide is supposed to be just chess....? I always thought Regicide was a different game somewhat similar to chess. Something along the lines of Shogi (most due to the players placing captured pieces on the board during their turn).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm crossposting this from the Coupons thread: OfficeMax is clearing out the Nook Simple Touch for $35 with free shipping. It's a good ereader and you can't beat the price. Also, if you're really concerned, apparently you can root it to run the Kindle app.

UberJumper posted:

Bolters still sounded like machine guns sadly.
The problem with bolters is that they don't make for cool cinematics. I imagine a "real" bolter would be something similar to a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjYpjLnn3rU MK 19 grenade launcher, but just after exit, the internal propellant would kick in and you'd hear a "woosh!" and the round would accelerate to the target. There still has to be some sort of noise as the bolt is ejected from the bolter.

Also, loads of shell casings flying out of the ejection port looks very, very cool.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 14, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Mk19 is a good call I think. Until I was aware of it I always used to assume it was like a PIAT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIHVp7ObZbI

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
God the PIAT was a silly weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a recoil for a weapon that isn't actually firing a round! That must be a monster spring in there!