Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The idea of the episode 16 angel was that it was one of the first angels that wanted to communicate with humanity. Kind of like a precursor to Kaworu. Basically it's like the creature is offering its heart up for inspection, but to Shinji it's still incomprehensibly alien (and he's not even good at relating to other humans) so he reacts with terror and violence.

Unit-01 itself may also have something to do with it, since it seems to be driven to "complete" itself, either instinctively or by Yui's own will, and later devours an Angel's core in order to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bisse posted:

Whoever wrote this has a really good grip on the human psyche.
Exit from the womb, H.R. Giger Alien style. My god. Why did I ever doubt NGE. And why did his mothers soul appear out of nowhere that was trippy. And yes 'what are the evas' that is a very good Q by now.

The real Dark Souls Evangelion starts here.

Actually, I'd say it really starts with the 2nd half of 14, but Leliel is where it starts properly gaining speed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The thing about the fanservice episodes is that they serve as a kind of trap. They indulge in cliché animé bullshit so that the normal audience think that the series is going to fulfill their expectations, that Shinji is going to become bad-rear end, get an harem of anime stereotypes and defeat the space aliens.

And then the show does not do that. Ah, the sweet tears it generates. It's almost as good as Metal Gear Solid 2 in that respect.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The kick to the nuts the latter half the series provides isn't nearly as effective without the upbeat cliche episodes that allegedly "suck."

The series isn't afraid to have fun, but it suffers from the only humorous characters in the first half being Misato (who is prone to going into "all business mode" when dealing with angels), Toji and Kensuke (who aren't around during missions and NERV-related stuff), and Asuka. The show is funny well before Asuka shows up, but upon her arrival the comedy ramps up. I think it works great, too, since I've seen so many people over the years latch onto the light-hearted antics, only to get blindsided by the darker end to the series.

It's great, and I genuinely think the show would have been a lot more boring if it had been quiet, dark and depressing from beginning to end.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You chose one hell of an episode to stop. Next time you should binge from 17 to the very end. :getin:

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Bisse posted:

You mean the joke at the end of the action scene, and the rest of the awfully written episode, did that. The (de)synchronization was the point of the entire episode with the dance-mat thingies and the squabbles and the 'coming naked out of shower'/'should i kiss her while she is sleeping' tripe. The action scene itself just shows you what the episode already establised.

But yeah I will give you that if the episode itself was better written maybe I would have gotten something nice like what you stated out of it. As it was though it was *attempt to get my dick raging for teenage girl, the episode* *robo balette* *baakano shinjiii dont kiss me midle of the niiiight~~~*

And don't even get me started on the underwaterbattle stuff. don't touch me theeeeereeee noooo, but we gotta save the world asuka I have to sit in this sexually frustrating position in this cramped space right now.

EDIT: OK i'm done whining about this stuff, those episodes sucked, moving on...

Adolescence and sexuality are an important aspect of the show, though. So much of Eva deals with wanting to join with another person, the psychological barriers that make this difficult, and the pain that comes from the tension between these two things. Sure, in light of how creepy and pedophilic a lot of anime is/has become, this aspect of the show can be rather uncomfortable, but the sort of confusion, anxiety, and hormonal stupidity shown by the characters makes sense for characters who aren't just dealing with all sorts of extraterrestrial terrors, but the terrors of puberty as well.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I also can't really think of any sex or sex appeal that is presented throughout Evangelion that isn't creepy, weird, horrific or otherwise has a negative effect on the characters.

Spectral
Mar 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The idea of the episode 16 angel was that it was one of the first angels that wanted to communicate with humanity. Kind of like a precursor to Kaworu. Basically it's like the creature is offering its heart up for inspection, but to Shinji it's still incomprehensibly alien (and he's not even good at relating to other humans) so he reacts with terror and violence.

Unit-01 itself may also have something to do with it, since it seems to be driven to "complete" itself, either instinctively or by Yui's own will, and later devours an Angel's core in order to do so.
I had never made the connection with Kaworu before, so thanks for that.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Milky Moor posted:

I also can't really think of any sex or sex appeal that is presented throughout Evangelion that isn't creepy, weird, horrific or otherwise has a negative effect on the characters.
Episode 20 - I'm going to speak vaguely to avoid spoilers. Shinji is in hot water, Misato undergoes a seriously traumatic moment at the culmination of the rescue attempt, and things get resolved. Click here if I'm talking gibberish.

Prior to the moment of resolution, we sense that she's been directing a lot of blame at Ritsuko and Gendo (for keeping secrets, and for using less-informed and non-consenting people as puppets) and at herself (for failing to protect her subordinates, for being blind to casualties in her own personal vendetta, for overestimating her control of the situation, and for the whole child-soldier thing). For the past month, she hasn't been able to do anything productive (Operations has been twiddling its thumbs while Engineering runs the show) - she's just been stewing in bitterness and pain. She can't talk to her oldest friend (Ritsuko) because the scenario has created a rift between them, and she doesn't trust herself to confide in Kaji because she's emotionally vulnerable and she doesn't know what might happen.

After the crisis gets resolved, an enormous amount of fear and sorrow is lifted from her; she feels that she's worthy of something greater than suffering. She turns to Kaji for comfort, for reassurance, to be accepted and forgiven. She's still eager to learn his secrets, but she aims to convince him that she's strong enough to bear them - she isn't just cynically pumping him for information. Kaji himself is a man who hates loneliness but who has deliberately isolated himself (triple-agent? quadruple?) in pursuit of truth. He has found his truth, but it brought him no solace. He's seeking a moment of peace with the woman he loves; an echo of his idyllic past to carry with him into oblivion. For the moment, neither one of them is dodging responsibilities, or focusing selfishly on their own pleasure, or thinking of other lovers, or plotting to betray the person lying next to them.

It may be hot sweaty loving in an anonymous motel room, but by Evangelion standards, the whole thing is Lake Woebegone-level wholesome.

Oops - I guess that Misato is technically dodging her foster-parent duties, since she's leaving a minor home alone in an apartment full of beer. But that's pretty much routine by this point, and Asuka can take care of herself. Also, events in NGE strongly suggest that the Katsuragi family is genetically incapable of hiring a goddamned babysitter.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Good point, GulMadred. That is probably the only one. I think I meant to say that there isn't any sex or sex appeal from Shinji's perspective that isn't creepy, weird, horrific or negative - not that that's any slight on what you presented!

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

GulMadred posted:

Also, events in NGE strongly suggest that the Katsuragi family is genetically incapable of hiring a goddamned babysitter.

Huh, I hadn't noticed that Misato doesn't have a mother...

Spectral posted:

I had never made the connection with Kaworu before, so thanks for that.

A few Angels attempt communication rather than pure destruction - there's also the one that "mind rapes" Asuka, and the hacking Angel.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, but Leliel is actually interested in a dialogue while the other two are more "understands you just well enough to destroy you" and "scans your brain out of brute alien curiosity."

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I enjoy EVA incorrectly. I find all the kids uninteresting and rather boring. I wish the show was about the main adult cast and their trials and tribulations around the war with the angels.

I also think it'd make a great workplace comedy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I want an Eva spinoff from the angels' perspective.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I enjoy EVA incorrectly. I find all the kids uninteresting and rather boring. I wish the show was about the main adult cast and their trials and tribulations around the war with the angels.

I think this depends on when you see Eva, I saw it when I was around the same age as Shinji and the Eva pilots and so on so a lot of the themes people have touched on regarding adolescence, puberty, sexuality, confusion, anxiety, and hormonal stupidity were more easily identifiable and more potent and genuine for me than I imagine if one were viewing it as an adult or older teen.
Of course it also totally suckerpunched and mindraped me at the time, as it would since I don't really think it's healthy for a 13 year old or w/e to watch End of Evangelion. :v:

Smoking Crow posted:

I wouldn't mind a Ritsuko-Rei buddy cop spinoff. :) They work well together.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

You might enjoy Rah-Xephon more than I did.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I also think it'd make a great workplace comedy.

From my experience with some roleplaying circles it is not an uncommon opinion.

The setting is very interesting and detailed, but there is also a whole lot about it that goes unexplained to pique your interest. It is not all that different from Pacific Rim if you remove the kids (and thus the whole puberty themes) and pretend all that nonsense about the Angels, Lilith and Instrumentality doesn't exist. You should watch that if you haven't.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Bisse posted:

The Eva trip report continues!

I love reading these. And I didn't even have to buy someone a copy of Dark Souls for this trip report. :f5: for the next update.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to his reactions on eps. 18-20, given that that's when the really crazy poo poo this series is known for starts up.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to his reactions on eps. 18-20, given that that's when the really crazy poo poo this series is known for starts up.

The REAL Evangelion starts here. Now. Again.
:getin:
It's a nice little retrospective on Evangelion, since it's been a few years since I've watched the series fully. Might have to go back and watch again.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GulMadred posted:

Episode 20

This has pretty much nothing to do with what you said, but god loving drat Hyuga and Misato standing in front of the terrifying bandaged EVA-01 is a powerful image.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This has pretty much nothing to do with what you said, but god loving drat Hyuga and Misato standing in front of the terrifying bandaged EVA-01 is a powerful image.

I love that - the use of masks and bandages and such to hide the faces of Evangelions and Angels evokes such a wonderful 'you cannot look upon the face of God' idea.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, I'm mostly speaking in the sense of holy gently caress EVA-01 looks scary like that. :stonk:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I'm mostly speaking in the sense of holy gently caress EVA-01 looks scary like that. :stonk:

Well yeah, that too!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Remember in episode 2 when Shinji sees Eva-01's creepy eye look at him? I love that scene. It's so creepy and effective.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I hope Bisse does End Of Evangelion followed by 1.11 and 2.22 too.

I can't remember if Death And Rebirth had some important scenes among the flashbacks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are some scenes "added" into Death that were a part of the Director's Cut episodes, such as Adam being in Gendo's hand. Death also has a few scenes that were oddly re-animated in higher quality as well.

Rebirth, like the original version that went to theatres alongside Death, technically isn't the exact same thing as the first half of End of Eva. I don't really remember what was different though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

There's also "Death", "Death (True)", and "Death (True2)", as well as Revival Of Evangelion.

poo poo gets a bit complex. (with a lot of them having the same scenes from each other??)

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Aren't they all just different cuts of the same basic material, a la Rebulid 1, 1.01, and 1.11? Except for important additions like the elevator scene being reanimated, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, but Leliel is actually interested in a dialogue while the other two are more "understands you just well enough to destroy you" and "scans your brain out of brute alien curiosity."

Leliel and Kaworu are still ultimately enemies, though. Also I think of the mind rape as being possible to interpret as "communication gone wrong" rather than "communication as weapon".

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Fun fact: Unit 01's eyes follow the camera through that whole scene

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

More Eva watching has ensued! Trip report:

17: Well that was weird, base disappearing at random. Didn't really get if that was an accident or an Angel? Seems like an Angel though since it was apparently the same stuff that Shinji got submerged in with the shadow, if I am reading their :techno: correctly. Haha his classmate is the next pilot. Not much else to say about this ep, talk talk.

18: Yeah tell everyone except Shinji who the next pilot is, i'm sure there won't be any awkward 'trying to hide something' moments that will make him feel left out. Hah, and there it is, awkward moments abound. Whoa the Eva is the angel? Sick. Oh and that guy is stuck in it. Oh and shinji has no clue. Oh this is gonna be great. Man that shot with the Eva against the red sun is EPIC. So the angel is some kind of slime? When did it get into the Eva? Whoa that dummy plug is just brutal. Wow. Bathe in blood, let's bathe in blood and make freak sounds. Crushed the entry plug it in his hand. Shinji is gonna implode when he finds out who that was. Man, Ikari is just dad-of-the-year material. And there it is! Shinji Implosion!

19: '3 minutes, that's enough to at least destroy half of HQ.' You go kid OOOOH god Who's Dad of the year? Who's Dad of the year? Gendo is dad of the year! Increase LCL pressure, we don't have time for whiny kids! Time for some more self-loathing I guess! Quitting NERV again are we. This has to be the most dysfunctional assortment of people on TV.
Heh, the angel this time seems surprisingly normal. Punch-man with slice-arms. Haha running up with a bomb like a rugby player, hard core! "It is the end of days *waters plants*" sure why not. Shinji making a mature decision for once by piloting again not for others but because its the right thing to do. Ok he lost GJ. ...eva's have the same red core as the angels, what the hell. Here we go, critical anime emotional mass reached, power up time! YESH! Haha it refused its own arm with the angels arm, the gently caress? Ok what is happening. Ok what the gently caress is going on. This is the freakiest poo poo. What why is it on all fours rocking back and forth and crawling like a dog. What the gently caress is happening I was expecting mad power up not this whatever this is ok it's eating it. This is SO loving WEIRD. :stare: It is... howling like a wolf? This thing is a god drat animal what the fuuuuuck

There is something wrong with this series. I feel like I was set up to expect an awesome powerup and instead it switched channel to Hannibal.

20: How not to impress a girl: "[the bandaged gigantic freak face with exposed teeth and demonic eye] is as unpredictable as you are, Misato! :downs:"
So shinji is dissolved into a metaphysical mass. Why yes Mr. Scientist you are right I can kind of see the shape in his suit being kind of filled out by an imaginary mass *pukes*
These secret organization guys are seriously getting on my nerves. It's like they think they know everything and when things don't turn out the way they expect their response is not to handle it in a good way but to point fingers and fire people.
So basically what this internal monologue is saying is that people want affection but they are afraid of getting hurt. So you put up psychological barriers between you and others and thereby hurt yourself. Ok this part really stuck a chord with me: "Why can't everyone just be NICE TO MEEE" *three girls dive in and want to cuddle and gently caress you* no wait I do not actually want that. Why not? So you want affection but when someone actually gives it to you with no pressure then you just run away.
Whoever wrote this is a genious.

Plop there he is. WB shinji. What the hell, "Ok mission accomplished now let's go and have steaming hot sex." It makes sense though she wants relief and affection. Hey guess what, this is the first sexual aspect of the show that isn't weird and offputting.

21: Didn't really have anything to say this ep. The backstory for this show is really good though. Everything we know about the Second Impact and the angels is obviously a lie from SEELE.

22: Asuka is no longer annoying, just tragic. HALLELUJA BEAM OF DEATH! praise the lord! :angel: The angel design is so goddamn freaky, first thing that actually looks like an angel. Nice spear throw, bye bye spear. Haha so the 'angels rejoin with adam means death' was also a lie? Then why the gently caress are we killing the angels?
Also loving white old men hiding behind 'sound only' monoliths complaining about everything.

23: Is anyone in this show happy at this point? Gendo probably is the only one who isn't miserable. Wow Rei really is an emotionless android and Asuka has completely lost it.
Attack of the DNA Halo. Haha it's now a tapeworm. Aaaaah they are looonelyyy, poor angels. REI JUST KILLED HERSELF. That was left field. NO she did NOT survive that she has to be a clone now. 'I'm the third one' YUP. SHE'S A CLONE.
YUP. Room of clones. loving called it. HahahaHAAAAA she killed them all because she's jealous because love. Woooow this show has gone places. Another character bites the depresso-emotional dust. Haha the tragedy of Eva is its people INDEED. IN FREAKING DEED.

24: Ok Asuka. I forgive you. For everything. THAT, is a tragic childhood. No wonder you have issues. Happiest moment of life -> Saddest moment of life.
Why hello Kaworu I recognize your face from about a thousand forum avatars. I bet you're going to be special just based on that fact.
Ok hes a prodigy bla bla. Ok you're gay, that's special indeed. Nice midnight love chat, mano e mano.
Oh ok you are the final angel that is. Odd. Final angel is a gay teenage emo dude.
He's gonna do it. He's gonna merge with Adam!
....oooor he's gonna ask Shinji to kill him while talking about Lilim's and Lilith's. What a beautiful minute of looking each others into the eyes lovingly is he going to SPLOT nope he did it. He loving did it.
This episode. Man. This episode. Was odd. For real.

Ok two episodes left so now we are going to find out everyones secret motivations and what is actually going on? Can't wait! *dives in head first*

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 15, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bisse posted:

Ok two episodes left so now we are going to find out everyones secret motivations and what is actually going on? Can't wait! *dives in head first*

Pfffffhahahahahahahahahaha :unsmigghh:

e: wait, are you going in completely blind?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Bisse posted:

Hahahahahahhaa

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Pfffffhahahahahahahahahaha :unsmigghh:

e: wait, are you going in completely blind?
Ok best part is yet to come then!

Yeah as far as I know there have been some rantings about the ending but haven't read details because spoilers. All I know is it's going to have a weird ending. I'm also a bit surprised because the last angel is already dead so I have absolutely no clue what to expect! Don't spoil anything!

I'm going to hold off watching the last bit until tomorrow. Looking forward to having my brain melted!

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The best part about the ending is that it's impossible to spoil.

Oh yeah, and remember to watch The End of Evangelion too.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Franz von Dada posted:

The End of Evangelion too.

Yes. Please procure this before you finish the last eps and don't change a drat thing for your watching and re-counting to us. Ignore everyone.

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
This is just like watching Eva come apart at the seams for the very first time, it's great :allears:

Your reaction to Unit-01 flipping out was very entertaining Bisse. Can't wait for your take on EoE.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

This is as entertaining as tricking people into watching School Days. :shobon:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am so far gone on the edge of my seat, I'm basically sitting in place now. Can't wait for the review of the last two episodes.:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Bisse posted:

More Eva watching has ensued! Trip report:

the gently caress? Ok what is happening. Ok what the gently caress is going on. This is the freakiest poo poo. What why is it on all fours rocking back and forth and crawling like a dog. What the gently caress is happening I was expecting mad power up not this whatever this is ok it's eating it. This is SO loving WEIRD. :stare: It is... howling like a wolf? This thing is a god drat animal what the fuuuuuck

There is something wrong with this series. I feel like I was set up to expect an awesome powerup and instead it switched channel to Hannibal.

Whoever wrote this is a genious.

Woooow this show has gone places. Haha the tragedy of Eva is its people INDEED. IN FREAKING DEED.

Ok Asuka. I forgive you. For everything. THAT, is a tragic childhood. No wonder you have issues. Happiest moment of life -> Saddest moment of life.

This episode. Man. This episode. Was odd. For real.

:darksouls: err :Evangelion:

Seriously loving this. Please get End of Evangelion and trip report the last two episodes and EoE before reading anything.

And remember episodes 25 and 26 have even more fanservice!