Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Why PayPal Should Integrate a Wallet Service For Bitcoin
2 Replies

At face value, PayPal and Bitcoin are direct competitors. PayPal charges a 1.9-3.4% fee for sellers, which is based on the amount of money that’s sent. Bitcoin clearly has an advantage when it comes to fees, as Bitcoin has a very small transaction fee that’s significantly lower than PayPal’s. (Also known as the miner fee, which gives incentive to miners to continue mining. Expected to slowly rise as mining increases in difficulty)

John Donahoe, ebay CEO, has stated that the company is very interested in the technology of Bitcoin. When asked about Bitcoin, John Donahoe spoke with cautious optimism over Bitcoin’s future and potential.

“I’ve been spending a lot of time looking at it and it’s truly fascinating. The way that the currency has been designed and the way inflation is built in to pay for miners and all of that is truly fascinating.

I think for us at PayPal, it’s just a question of whether bitcoin will make its way as a funding instrument or not. We’re kind of thinking about it.”

While John Donahoe shows optimism, it seems like eBay is still undecided when it comes to how to approach the integration of a digital currency like Bitcoin.

Instead of allowing for Bitcoin to be swapped in a PayPal wallet, the company should opt to create an entirely new wallet that’s specifically designed for digital currencies.

In a way, PayPal should consider to integrate a business model similar to that of Coinbase and Circle. Instead of charging fees on transactions, which seems counter-intuitive, PayPal should take and give Bitcoin at 1-2% of the current exchange rate. This takes advantage of PayPal’s sheer size, which boasts 110 million active accounts. One of the reasons why Bitcoin is used by many is its advantageous transaction model, which offers a clear incentive to use over credit cards and services like PayPal.

The process would be fairly simple, with a competitively priced exchange rate withholding fee. PayPal could create its own exchange, which it could then monetize. If one Bitcoin goes for $500, PayPal could give the Bitcoin to a person for $505. If someone is exchanging their Bitcoin for fiat, PayPal could give them $495. This would allow for PayPal to get rid of any fees, which could potentially turn away users. (The exchange rates are for explanatory reasons, as they would likely be much lower as competition sets in.)

This could be akin to a type of brokerage account, with some differences. Whenever you exchange a security, you’re subject to $7-$10 in commission fees. PayPal would make transactions to others via Bitcoin and fiat free, as PayPal would only make money from exchanges in Bitcoin to fiat or fiat to Bitcoin. In a way, this would allow for PayPal to operate as a brokerage, exchange, and bank. (Think of a combination of Bank of America, ETrade, and the NYSE)

Unlike fiat currencies, Bitcoin acts like a hybrid between a piece of property and a currency. PayPal would be much better off by taking advantage of volatile exchange rates to profit as opposed to charging outright fees. This would not only help PayPal with an extra avenue of revenue, but it will also provide Bitcoin with a greater sense of legitimacy.

While it may be true that the widespread adoption of Bitcoin directly competes with services like PayPal, it would be better for PayPal to be the first to establish leadership in the digital currency space. If PayPal doesn’t act now, it could stand to suffer as other businesses, large and small, come in to provide these crucial financial services.

With a pragmatic approach, PayPal could provide incentives like insurance for Bitcoin, which is something that the digital currency lacks. Companies like Coinbase just aren’t large enough to provide insurance, and no government will take the role for now. If PayPal provides a comprehensive insurance policy, it could easily attract existing users that currently use services like Coinbase and Circle.

[–]themattt 1 point 40 minutes ago

Paypal will integrate within 1 month of Circles launch or they stand to potentially lose a huge amount of market share (and they all know it). It would be an epic beuracratic failure if that somehow didnt happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

http://www.bitcoinfaithful.com/

Bitcoin Faithful helps you connect with other Bitcoin enthusiasts around the world.

Bitcoin Faithful is the social network for Bitcoin enthusiasts around the world to do business and talk about anything related to Bitcoin.

Bitcoin Faithful includes forums, blogs, pages, photos, videos and even an online market place and auction section where you can list Bitcoins or Bitcoin related products or services for sale.

Bitcoin Faithful even includes it's own App Api and we welcome Bitcoin Exchanges, Bitcoin Mining Pools and any other Bitcoin service to create an App and get it listed in our App Market Place.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

InterNational Wallet Backup Day (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago by MHolinde

I hereby decree, on behalf of my scrypt/n-scrypt cryptocurrency Mining farm "Frygar" that today be InterNational Wallet Backup Day.

Remember: Old backups don't have all your addresses!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Apple allows apps like venmo, square cash, xoom, etc. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 7 hours ago by bubbasparse

What is it in the TOS that allows apps like that and not bitcoin wallets?

[–]cqm 3 points 6 hours ago

because bitcoin is not a company or individual, it cannot sue apple for antitrust violations or damages.

so apple operates without consequence

[–]omen2k 2 points 2 hours ago

I've used only apple products for 10 years and if they don't accept Bitcoin wallets in the next year it's going to be a deal breaker for me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Andreas Antonopoulos & the Bitcoin Foundation (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 9 hours ago by flesh_coating

hey /u/andreasma...

Are you attending Bitcoin 2014?
If they asked you, why didn't you choose to be a speaker?
Why didn't you accept the Blockchain award?

I would also like to hear your opinion on the foundation in general.

[–]jratcliff63367 2 points 8 hours ago

I would guess that since Andreas works for blockchain he thought it was the right thing to do to pass it on. This is just my guess but it shows both humility and integrity.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

...! posted:

$100,000 bounty for software platform that can replace the Bitcoin Foundation (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 8 hours ago * by anarchystar

Hi Everyone,

My name is Olivier Janssens, early adopter and Bitcoin millionaire. The Bitcoin foundation has had its role in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, it is internally recreating the same archaic political system that fails to work for society. Bitcoin is the currency of the internet generation. It puts the power back into the hands of the people. You cannot expect its main representative organisation to be exactly the opposite: A non-transparent, political and secretive elite. We have been trying to push the BF for transparency and clear communication for years, without result. Meanwhile they started creating even more political structures inside, such as committees, which can only be accessed by knowing the right people. At the bitcoin 2014 conference, organised by this same organisation, I expected to see full internet participation + live streaming of their events. Especially of the BF member meeting, where they are supposed to get input from their members and disclose what they have been up to. Instead, the board decided that the event is not to be recorded or broadcasted. We have also no idea or say on how our money is spent. Half of their board gets elected by industry members (a group of about 100 companies), and recently lead to another extremely controversial election of Brock Pierce, which has a history of being connected to cases involving fraud and pedophilia. This needs to stop.

We as an internet community, don’t need public figures to decide what’s good for us. We need to stop politicking and start focussing on the projects directly. For example, we need a project to fund the core development of bitcoin, and put our money straight to that. We need a project to have lobbyists in Washington, to fight the anti-bitcoin lobbyists from Mastercard, and to prevent the government from destroying the currency. Basically, we don’t need another intermediary. We can do this ourselves. Therefor, I want to announce today that I am organising a contest and giving $100k USD in BTC, to the group that can come up with the best platform to make this happen. I am thinking of a system where prominent people can voice their opinion, where people can propose projects, and where the core devs can actively show their roadmap with detailed features + costs, and where we can vote on the features being implemented by sending bitcoins towards the feature of our choice. This will allow the core dev team to expand by being able to add/pay more devs for feature requests which are fully funded. Maybe we can even evolve to a system later where anyone can work on a feature, which, when programmed properly (approved by the core team), will receive the bounty. The same applies to lobbyists, we just send bitcoins towards the one that we consider the most competent for the job. This will allow Bitcoin to grow and expand at a rate it deserves, a rate that a political organisation such as the foundation can never accomplish.

Let’s liberate bitcoin.

Olivier

Rules of the contest:

Anyone can participate
Software will be open sourced
I will cover the initial hosting costs, until it can be self funded and created as a DAO
Reddit community can help by voting on the platform submissions they like the most
Ultimately I will decide who wins, but I will take all votes and feedback into account
Deadline for submissions is 1 month from now: 17 june 2014 at 12:00 UTC

[–]EnglishBulldog 18 points 7 hours ago*

A DAO that runs on the btc blockchain is worth more than 100k, immensely more. If this comes to fruition, then thank you, from the bottom of my heart. If you truly make this open source, then you are not only buying a new DAO that can represent a bitcoin majority, you've also created a very valuable framework that can be applied to many different areas of life.

[–]Beetle559 12 points 7 hours ago

Say what you want about Bitcoin, you can't say it's boring.

What's a DAO? Do they ever define what it is?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MGN001 posted:

the dao that can be defined is not the true dao

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MGN001 posted:

Dragon Age: Origins, a 2009 video game developed by BioWare and published by Electronic Arts

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

...! posted:

I am thinking of a system where prominent people can voice their opinion, where people can propose projects, and where the core devs can actively show their roadmap with detailed features + costs, and where we can vote on the features being implemented by sending bitcoins towards the feature of our choice. This will allow the core dev team to expand by being able to add/pay more devs for feature requests which are fully funded. Maybe we can even evolve to a system later where anyone can work on a feature, which, when programmed properly (approved by the core team), will receive the bounty. The same applies to lobbyists, we just send bitcoins towards the one that we consider the most competent for the job. This will allow Bitcoin to grow and expand at a rate it deserves, a rate that a political organisation such as the foundation can never accomplish.
So pretty much he wants trac w/ a plugin so users can vote on tickets w/ bitcoin. And TDD so it can be verified that features are completed.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

...! posted:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Olivier Janssens, early adopter and Bitcoin millionaire.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

unpacked robinhood posted:

Blockchain technology

what if you could drive really fast cars... but on the blockchain

think about it

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

...! posted:

$100,000 bounty for software platform that can replace the Bitcoin Foundation (self.Bitcoin)

so can yospos get $100K for our dumb markov bots

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

killhamster posted:

so can yospos get $100K for our dumb markov bots

get the money then crash all the exchanges down to pennies

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

isn't that the guy who was offering to buy MtGOX for 5 million dollars that MtGOX owes him?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Boxturret posted:

isn't that the guy who was offering to buy MtGOX for 5 million dollars that MtGOX owes him?
now that you mention it i do remember that guy's facial hair from the stream

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
if my face was shaped like that i wouldn't know where my face ends and my neck begins either

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Boxturret posted:

same guy, yeah

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Project AVC - AntiVirusCoin (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by jake-shake

I'm sure someone will beat me to the punch, but here's my project.

Imagine using the Bitcoin blockchain to search for and destroy computer viruses and such. Imagine the wallet doubles as your anti-virus software. Imagine a bank that bank that owns and operates it's own armed guard service. Living, breathing, evolving security built right into your wallet. Anonymity combined with active security on an unparalleled level, enterprise won't know what hit them.

maybe he means we upload all viruses into the blockchain and use an av client that parses the 15+ GB file for signatures to use when it scans?

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Talk about practical. This is the future of crypto.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Boxturret posted:

So he's a bitcoin millionaire with all of his 'money' tied up in:
-An insolvent company
-More bitcoins, which have no liquididty

So more like a bitcoin millionaire in theory, then

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

text editor posted:

So he's a bitcoin millionaire with all of his 'money' tied up in:
-An insolvent company
-More bitcoins, which have no liquididty

So more like a bitcoin millionaire in theory, then

slumcoin millionaire

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my favourite moment of all this.

after satoshi was outed his brother went on reddit and slammed the reporter. he said "no one is allowed to call my brother an rear end in a top hat but me!"

well no one did except you and it's your loving quote in the article dip poo poo.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
:siren: INCOMING! VERY MISLEADING! :siren:

crossposting from the GBS thread:

fuctifino posted:

Look who's back.

quote:

Hello, my name is Bruce Wagner.

This web site is only a collection of simple ideas I would like to share with the world. This is not a business nor a non-profit… just a few ideas I want to share to make the world a better place for us all. I make no money and have no business connection to any businesses, apps, nor organizations of any kind, linked from this site. (The only exception is that I use a referral link for so that you and I both get $5 if you become a customer there.)

I’ve been into bitcoin since almost the very beginning… 2010… and I’ve seen its evolution all along the way. I have seen five enormous needs, all of which I hope to help resolve with this little web site…

So I created this site because I saw… a real need for:

a beginners page - one simple page that would help people who are brand new to bitcoin… to get into it super quickly and simply… with the least amount of friction possible buybitcoin.com

a decentralized peer-to-peer exchange – an easy way to provide a totally decentralized peer-to-peer method of exchanging bitcoin for local currency cash worldwide with zero fees bitcoinme.com

the best advice on how to store bitcoins safely - state-of-the-art advice on some of the very safest ways to store and transact, using bitcoin, while keeping it totally secure from accidental loss, theft, fraud, virus, and hackers paperbitcoin.com

one master directory of all bitcoin accepting merchants – all the places you can shop using bitcoin, both online and in the real physical shops of the world – one master directory of all major directories and maps of bitcoin-accepting merchants bitcoinshop.com

new user handholding support system – a place to ask questions and get quick reliable answers in plain simple english… where there’s no such thing as a stupid question, and everyone is only there to help each other… click here: bw.gl ….

or contact me

I hope this little web site will help the world solve these important issues… and quickly.

If you would like to share your ideas and/or feedback, please, I urge you to either post your comments on our public discussion forum about this site, …or… contact me privately and tell me your thoughts.

I’m just an ordinary guy with lots and lots of varied interests. You can learn about some of them in the place where I discuss lots of them… in my online discussion community forum. It’s called bw.gl …and I treat it as a sort of combination of both… my own personal blog, and a community for discussing and sharing ideas about all of these topics. Please feel welcome to join and reply with your thoughts. We’d love to hear your ideas too.

You can connect with me via all the normal modern ways. To do so, see my contact me page.

Cheers, and I’m happy you’re here.

Bruce Wagner

contact me

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yessssssss

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

highlights: (again stolen from GBS thread)

My PIN is 4826 posted:

http://buybitcoin.com/#start

quote:

The Human Bitcoin ATM Project was designed to piggyback on top of an existing social network app called Hornet. This was so that it could be implemented very quickly and with no investment. It is anticipated that, later, a dedicated app for bitcoin traders will be developed by some enterprising entrepreneur and/or investor. We will welcome such a new dedicated app. In the meantime...

In your Hornet profile...
Set your Age to: 78

This is beyond stupid even for bitcoiners. Since Apple bans bitcoin apps, Bruce Wagner has decided to use an uncommon age group in a gay hookup app to identify bitcoiners? :suicide:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjV3wdXDHDk

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

FMguru posted:

the dao that can be defined is not the true dao

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
oh shiiiiiiiiiit hold on to your butts

(if you're a thai ladyboy)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

motherfucking bruce wagner

the original bitcoin jesus

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

motherfucking bruce wagner

the original bitcoin jesus

is this the second coming?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Bitcoin Jesus Classictm

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
somewhere in pattaya there's a human trafficker frantically looking for a new big client

edit:

welcome back you marvelous sleazebag. thanks for optimizing the laffchain

text editor fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 18, 2014

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:vince:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

quote:

The Human Bitcoin ATM Project

The Human Centipede 3: Buttcoin ATM Project, starring Bruce Wagner

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
i wont be content until bruce and antonopoplops combine their jesus powers for the blockchain

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
all of this has happened before, all of this will happen again

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
when will we have the opportunity to knock his phone to the floor with hornet notifications in a livestream?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

boy bit coiners sure like to sure their ideas while doing nothing

but solicit donations, of course

like a bunch of takers/have-nots looking for hand-outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

PleasureKevin posted:

boy bit coiners

yes yes yes we saw, bruce is back, we get it already good lord

• Locked thread