Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I remember I had fellowship of the ring on VHS. How did we even fit all that on to tape back then? :psyduck:

There is plenty of tape on a cassette for a movie. Getting only 2 episodes on a VHS had gently caress all to do with technical limitations, it was all about profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

Evangelion on VHS was two episodes per tape for £15 (about $25) each in the UK.
I first saw Evangelion on VHS back when you rented anime from your sketchy local nerd store, but I only started buying once DVDs came out.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Jesus Bisse how long does it take you to watch some anime? We're all waiting on you to post. Because it's impossible for anyone else.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Jesus Bisse how long does it take you to watch some anime? We're all waiting on you to post.

He probably did already.

He just has some... thinking to do before being able to post.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It's too bad he'll miss out on the best way to view End of Eva, which is in Japanese, no subtitles, with no prior knowledge of the show, on drugs.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It's too bad he'll miss out on the best way to view End of Eva, which is in Japanese, no subtitles, with no prior knowledge of the show, on drugs.

That happened to me (minus the drugs). My dad came back from a business trip in Japan with a VHS tape (unsubtitled) of the first half of End of Evangelion ("Air") at the recommendation of one of his coworkers. Bless those Japanese trolls for introducing me to the madness.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I had subtitles, but with all the cough syrup it hardly mattered.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I once loaded up on hydrocodone, a few benadryl, then cracked some beers and watched EoE.

I'm willing to bet that's the closest I'll get to LCL feeling without doing heroin, which I do not plan on doing.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I have had family drama keeping me busy all weekend. Rest assured the most important thing in my life right now is to take the first opportunity to watch some animes and post about it on the Internet!

Edit: As per your requests i will watch End of Evangelion after watching these last two.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 19, 2014

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I've watched EOE on weed, speed, cough syrup, alcohol, LSD, mushrooms and cocaine. Started just out if coincidence but now I use it as a kind if yardstick for my drug experiences.

Look at me being a badass posting about all the drugs I do and all the anime I watch.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
TCC in my ADTRW? It's more likely than you think!

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Bisse posted:

I have had family drama keeping me busy all weekend. Rest assured the most important thing in my life right now is to take the first opportunity to watch some animes and post about it on the Internet!

Edit: As per your requests i will watch End of Evangelion after watching these last two.

Nothing stops the anime, the anime cannot stop. Legit looking forward to the epic conclusion. :)

Got my brother hooked on Evangelion now, first thing that caught his attention was Cruel Angel's Thesis but he's gotten past episode 14 now and really enjoying the show. But he hates Gendo and in my mind that cannot be forgiven.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Temascos posted:

Got my brother hooked on Evangelion now, first thing that caught his attention was Cruel Angel's Thesis
The Cruel Angel's Thesis Bleeds

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Bisse posted:

I have had family drama keeping me busy all weekend.

I hope you worked it out! Congratulations Bisse!

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Temascos posted:

Nothing stops the anime, the anime cannot stop. Legit looking forward to the epic conclusion. :)

Got my brother hooked on Evangelion now, first thing that caught his attention was Cruel Angel's Thesis but he's gotten past episode 14 now and really enjoying the show. But he hates Gendo and in my mind that cannot be forgiven.

Hates Gendo or loves to hate Gendo? Because while Gendo is awesome, he's coffee mug sure isn't gonna have "greatest dad" on it.

Gendo's Paradise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP9DKGhUiaY

Really though, Gendo is awesome. (End Of Evangelion spoilers after the 8 minute mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GpeXAsIKY

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think anybody could possibly like Gendo and yet here we are. What do you like most about him? His cruel indifference to his son? Or maybe his unrepentant sociopathy? Do tell.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Don't get me wrong, I'm in the "loves to hate Gendo" camp. It's like, it's okay to like Bison from the Van Damme live action street fighter movie even though Bison is a giant rear end.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I didn't ask further but I suspect it was the "loves to hate Gendo" angle, same as most people I think. Kinda like how people love to hate Joffery in GoT. I am amazed that in the universe of Evavangelion Yui managed to put up with his crap long enough to get married and have a kid with him who he then abandoned.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
To be quite honest, I think Gendo was a completely different person when he knew Yui. Just look at how he acts in the flashback episode. Sure, he was involved with SEELE but he was hardly the amoral pragmatist (Gendo isn't a sociopath) that we all know and love at that point.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
We only ever see Gendo from the perspective of people who are afraid of him. They're obviously right to be afraid of him, and he's an awful human being, but it would have been nice to get a slightly broader perspective and see if it changed anything.

It kind of feels like Anno was thinking of going in that direction at one point (one of the earliest Yui hallucination sessions has her urging Shinji to try and understand his father, and I think the scene in the mass graveyard is either in that episode or close to it) but aside from the brief scene during Instrumentality there's no followup.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

We only ever see Gendo from the perspective of people who are afraid of him.

Yes exactly, this is what I was saying before.

Same thing with the angels.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Gendo's not really any worse or less relatable than any of your other average "I did it all for love!" villians, he's just a lot more productive and less talky than most of them. Plus he has an added air of weirdness since he's not only part of some crazy meta-conspiracy that we're not entirely privy to...but he's playing them as well. For love!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Gendo's not really any worse or less relatable than any of your other average "I did it all for love!" villians, he's just a lot more productive and less talky than most of them. Plus he has an added air of weirdness since he's not only part of some crazy meta-conspiracy that we're not entirely privy to...but he's playing them as well. For love!

Gendo is Shinji who's resolved to do horrible, horrible things to accomplish his selfish desires.

So yeah, evil Shinji. Just picture that and you're set. Gendo's simple.:shobon:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

notZaar posted:

I didn't think anybody could possibly like Gendo and yet here we are. What do you like most about him? His cruel indifference to his son? Or maybe his unrepentant sociopathy? Do tell.

Speaking as another person who likes Gendo, you're kinda misrepresenting him with that. The thing that makes him a really interesting character is that he's not outright evil, like, at all; he just has incredibly hosed up priorities that hurt everyone around him. He's the antagonist because of a series of really lovely coincidences, sorta like Griffith from Berserk, rather than BECAUSE EEEEEEEEVIIILLLLL.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Manga Gendo, on the other hand, is pretty much straight up evil.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Griffith is unforgivably evil though, I don't see the analogy.

I can understand the love to hate angle with some villains, but Gendo is so unfeeling and cold that there's nothing to like.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think a lot of the sympathy for Gendo comes from the flashback/backstory episode and his last scene in EoE; more specifically, his transformation from a troubled man who'd finally found a source of stability and acceptance in Yui into an utterly broken man who is too afraid of bonding with anyone else, including his own son after she died.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It kind of feels like Anno was thinking of going in that direction at one point (one of the earliest Yui hallucination sessions has her urging Shinji to try and understand his father, and I think the scene in the mass graveyard is either in that episode or close to it) but aside from the brief scene during Instrumentality there's no followup.

See, poo poo like that actually makes me loathe Gendo more. Scenes like the mass grave scene or pining over Yui make it seem to me like he at one point considered "Hm, I'm kind of horrifyingly hosed up. Should I reconsider my actions at all?...NAH. Hey Shinji gently caress YOU," which frankly strikes me as even more loathsome than if he were completely unwavering in his dedication to be a massive loving shitheel. Hell, I'd take the rest of SEELE over him - at least they're massive pricks in a detatched, less determinadly emotionally torturous manner.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

See, poo poo like that actually makes me loathe Gendo more. Scenes like the mass grave scene or pining over Yui make it seem to me like he at one point considered "Hm, I'm kind of horrifyingly hosed up. Should I reconsider my actions at all?...NAH. Hey Shinji gently caress YOU," which frankly strikes me as even more loathsome than if he were completely unwavering in his dedication to be a massive loving shitheel. Hell, I'd take the rest of SEELE over him - at least they're massive pricks in a detatched, less determinadly emotionally torturous manner.

He's not saying "Shinji gently caress you," he's saying "Oh god I'm so scared I have to run away from Shinji".

Don't we all despise Shinji for running away from his problems too? Despise him in the sense that we despise ourselves, I mean.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

He's not saying "Shinji gently caress you," he's saying "Oh god I'm so scared I have to run away from Shinji".

Don't we all despise Shinji for running away from his problems too? Despise him in the sense that we despise ourselves, I mean.

Gendo does quite a bit more than run away from Shinji, though, what with the whole "pressing and emotionally manipulating him into piloting an enormous humanoid abomination in the face of death and destruction in order to fulfill his own shadowy ends" thing. I mean, come on, shutting someone out is one thing, but it's literally a major plot point in Rebuild that Gendo manipulates Shinji into becoming attached to a girl specifically so he can take her away and make Shinji freak out to make the Eva freak out.

I mean, I get that there's more to it than just "Shinji gently caress you," but "gently caress you" is what it ultimately amounts to, which comes off as pretty insulting when Gendo himself is directly responsible -very deliberately in some respects, accidentally in others- for Shinji turning out as he does.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Let's get to the really hard hitting questions. Are Evas covered in phones or was Shinji just really lucky to be right next to the phone after the choreographed fight sequence?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

notZaar posted:

Well, yeah, the stuff Griffith does is worse! But the bad things they both do come from roughly the same place: they got horribly shat on by life and it warped the gently caress out of their perspective. Griffith at the beginning of the Golden Age arc wouldn't have even considered doing what he did at the end, just like how Gendo probably wouldn't have been cool with what he ended up doing before EVA-01 ate Yui.

Both of their actions are absolutely irredeemable, there's no denying that, but it's still possible to like the characters simply because there's more to them than just those irredeemable actions.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Gendo's not a bad bloke, really. In that flashback where he forced open the ejection plug and horribly burned his hands to save Rei, ...maybe it's just Shinji he hates?

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Gendo's not a bad bloke, really. In that flashback where he forced open the ejection plug and horribly burned his hands to save Rei, ...maybe it's just Shinji he hates?

Considering that rei is Yui's look-a-like, if he's so infatuated with the idea of saving Yui then it might be transferred over to Rei. He knows about her clone status and all, so there is no reason to care about her physical well being.

I don't think Gendo is a 'bad guy' defacto, but he seems torn between his obligations to protecting the human race and his love for Yui. He seems to have figured out a way to make the two meet in the middle, and I'm assuming that if the human instrumentality project went through, Shinji would be a part of it and Gendo would get a chance to explain.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ak Gara posted:

He saves Rei because she is a clone of Yui. If it was someone other than Yui, he wouldn't have cared.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

There is a word for people who abandon their children at an early age and only start paying attention to them so that they can be manipulated to do deplorable and horrifying action. Scum. Now Gendo is an interesting and fun character, but that does not mean he is anything other then a manipulative bastard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

notZaar posted:

To play devil's advocate, one could argue that (assuming Griffith became a benevolent leader) there's no difference between him sacrificing the Band of the Hawk and all of the other countless people who died while fighting against the Band of the Hawk (and this argument is even explicitly made/shown to Griffith before he actually decides to go through with the sacrifice). This is actually part of what makes his character interesting, as opposed to just being a complete sociopath.

From what we've seen it looks like Griffith's actions are in fact more or less selfish* and he probably is a terrible person, but sacrificing his friends in and of itself wouldn't necessarily be damning.

*Since his actions have directly lead to a bunch of demons and poo poo manifesting in the mortal realm, which has probably made life worse for most people not fortunate enough to live in his constructed utopia

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

The whole ordeal with Bardiel makes him pretty unsympathetic in my eyes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Squallege posted:

The whole ordeal with Bardiel makes him pretty unsympathetic in my eyes.

Units Zero and Two were down and Shinji was refusing to fight, stating that he would literally 'rather die'. What else could Gendo do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Milky Moor posted:

Units Zero and Two were down and Shinji was refusing to fight, stating that he would literally 'rather die'. What else could Gendo do?
Could have done it with a little bit less glee on his face while his son tears apart one of his only friends.