Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Bisse posted:

Gigantic Rei.
Humanity doomed because shinji has mental issues. The gently caress is
Everyone going poof

Succinct and heartfelt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The reactions were just as good as I imagined they'd be!

Now go watch the Rebuilds. :unsmigghh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god I am laughing and crying right now. These reactions are just that good. :unsmigghh:

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why do people keep insisting the show has two endings?

1. Everyone gets juiced.
2. Congratulations.
3. Shinji unjuices himself.

The final part of Rebuild better have a good payoff.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Bisse are you going to watch the Rebuild series as well? :getin:

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Bisse posted:

R...real life?
Just fantasy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv0fUQ5m48

Shazaminator fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 20, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Holy poo poo that was perfect :lol:

I'm actually really surprised that you didn't know the ending was completely batshit insane going in. "CONGRATULATIONS" is generally one of the very first things anyone learns about NGE, especially if they learn about it from nerds.

Like, my first memory of ever hearing about NGE was when I was like 7 and got an anime catalog with a GamePro issue that advertised the Manga release of EoE as basically "the non-lovely ending to NGE."

e: vvv That picture is amazing

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 20, 2014

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

The reaction is exactly what I was hoping for, brilliant stuff. :D

Temascos fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 20, 2014

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Truly the best 7 minutes and 43 seconds in animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLoNOYcVQU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I always consider 25/26 to be Shinji's experience when he turns into the tree of life and just before he comes out of it and wakes up next to Asuka.

I would love an extended EoE where someone's edited those episodes in to make truly complete and hopefully more coherent Eva ending.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Stalins Moustache posted:

Truly the best 7 minutes and 43 seconds in animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCLoNOYcVQU

I'm not really into Evangelion or anime in general anymore, but no matter how my tastes change, I'll always loving love this song.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kavak posted:

I'm not really into Evangelion or anime in general anymore, but no matter how my tastes change, I'll always loving love this song.

That sequence is pretty good. You wonder how they could possibly transition out of that, and then you get the one thing you probably never expected in an animated film.

Also, requisite congratulations video for Bisse of the American VA expressing his confusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzjuf686oA

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I always consider 25/26 to be Shinji's experience when he turns into the tree of life and just before he comes out of it and wakes up next to Asuka.

I would love an extended EoE where someone's edited those episodes in to make truly complete and hopefully more coherent Eva ending.

There's an edit out there that some Eva fansite made that did exactly that. The beginning and middle are fine but the end kinda falls apart.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Squallege posted:

There's an edit out there that some Eva fansite made that did exactly that. The beginning and middle are fine but the end kinda falls apart.

That's a shame.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

It's really a good song, but somehow not what I would have picked for the soundtrack to the end of the world.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
While the TV and EoE endings can work together, I will always insist that they are different and not perfectly compatible. In EoE, Shinji rejects Instrumentality. In the series, Shinji appears to accept it and this acceptance is greeted by the applause of everyone around him - alive or dead - in a strange, bizarre landscape.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

That's a shame.

Not really. Fan edits are horrible ideas with universally horrible executions that try to make things what nerds think they should be because they can't accept things as they are.

Like Gendo. Instrumentality is his fan-edit of evolution.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Milky Moor posted:

While the TV and EoE endings can work together, I will always insist that they are different and not perfectly compatible. In EoE, Shinji rejects Instrumentality. In the series, Shinji appears to accept it and this acceptance is greeted by the applause of everyone around him - alive or dead - in a strange, bizarre landscape.

He rejects Instrumentality in both versions. Pay attention to the dialogue in 25+26, a large part of it is about how human beings need contrast and separation between each other in order to have meaning and accepting pain is an unavoidable part of that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Milky Moor posted:

I've never really liked the interpretation that the TV series indicates an acceptance of Instrumentality. Instrumentality is fundamentally a rejection of individuality after all, which contradicts many of the segments and "truths" seemingly reached during the TV ending. It's more like the TV series paints a much, much rosier picture of the process than the emotional amputation that we got in EoE.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The read I like re: "Congratulations!" is that it's Yui wearing multiple faces again in order to encourage Shinji / show him how she envisions his future. There's no hard evidence for it but it fits the timeline and her motives and it wouldn't be the first time she's done something like that.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Bisse posted:

End of Eva trip report:

Whoops, boobies DID HE JUST WHACK OFF TO A DEAD GIRL. HAND FULL O CUM SAYS "YES".
crucified things and blood everywhere.
HE IS STILL STRANGLING ASUKA. WHY. Haha what the gently caress kind of ending was that.

Thus concludes the Eva watching, my mind is melted now, I think I need to go for a walk.

All is right in the world. Now get your friends to do a blind watch.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The read I like re: "Congratulations!" is that it's Yui wearing multiple faces again in order to encourage Shinji / show him how she envisions his future. There's no hard evidence for it but it fits the timeline and her motives and it wouldn't be the first time she's done something like that.

Something I'd kind of like to ask because I still don't feel like I really 'get' Yui - is there any reason at all to like her, really? Everyone in the show who talks about her seems to paint her as some sort of heavenly, stabilizing force, but from what I've read about what people think her actual motives are and what she visibly does in EoE, I'm kind of left wondering if she's not just Gendo, only where Gendo is manipulative, nihilistic, and bitter, Yui is manipulative, nihilistic, and serene.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Something I'd kind of like to ask because I still don't feel like I really 'get' Yui - is there any reason at all to like her, really? Everyone in the show who talks about her seems to paint her as some sort of heavenly, stabilizing force, but from what I've read about what people think her actual motives are and what she visibly does in EoE, I'm kind of left wondering if she's not just Gendo, only where Gendo is manipulative, nihilistic, and bitter, Yui is manipulative, nihilistic, and serene.

I don't think you're meant to "like" Yui. Instrumentality was her idea, she got sucked into the Eva intentionally and Gendo and Fuyutski's whole careers have been dedicated been carrying out her plan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I don't think you're meant to "like" Yui. Instrumentality was her idea, she got sucked into the Eva intentionally and Gendo and Fuyutski's whole careers have been dedicated been carrying out her plan.

Yeah, it's not so much about 'liking' her so much as it is about sympathizing with her. Most of the portrayals we get of her in the actual show are pretty sympathetic in tone because we're seeing her through the lens of people like Gendo or Shinji or Fuyutsuki who kind of revere her in their own ways, which makes it kind of jarring to me when I notice how little she seems to really differentiate her outlook or actions from those of SEELE or Gendo, all of whom can heartily get hosed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yui isn't nihilistic. She and Gendo are kind of an interesting pair because Gendo is ridiculously, pathologically optimistic: he thinks he can outsmart everyone, control everyone, play the apocalypse into his hands, and he's arrogant enough to think he can do it alone. The funny part is that he's so very close to being right: he fails, ultimately, because he didn't consider what Yui and Rei wanted and gets shot down at the very end.

Yui is just the opposite. She's actually a decent human being, especially compared to Gendo, although at the same time she's a horrible mother. Instrumentality wasn't precisely her idea; she was a member of SEELE, and knew about the Dead Sea Scrolls and the prophecy, at least to the point where she knew the world was going to end and that selfish, arrogant men would try to take advantage of it. So in order to both protect herself and her child she went willingly into Unit-01 (Fuyutsuki confirms this in EoE) with a plan of her own. It's hard to say exactly what that plan was without referring to dubious side material but if not for her Shinji probably wouldn't have been able to stop and partially reverse Instrumentality.

Her flaw, in my opinion, is that she's actually too pessimistic. It never seems to have occurred to Yui to actually fight SEELE head-on, like Gendo did. Her plan may have been for Shinji's sake, but she still goes into hiding, traumatizes her son, and doesn't seem to have told Gendo anything. She accepts that Third Impact will happen no matter what and focuses solely on controlling the damage.

So they both end up as these incredibly powerful figures who nearly win on their own terms, but their inability/refusal to communicate means that they only screw things up for each other and fail just short of their goals (Gendo) or set goals far short of what they might have realized (Yui). Sound like anybody else we know? :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The key difference between them, though, is that Yui did have enough foresight/perspective to realize that having every single person join into a collective consciousness without any warning or consent could be incredibly loving traumatic, and thus left open a way for them to return to a state of individuality if they so chose. Not saying that necessarily makes her a paragon of morality, but that consideration put her leagues ahead of SEELE and Gendo, who just didn't give a poo poo if people wanted it or not.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, the thing that made Instrumentality evil wasn't the inherent concept of it, but rather everyone being forced into it, instead of being able to choose whether or not they want it. Yui's actions are the reason why that choice was available to everyone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bisse posted:

End of Eva trip report:

Hah, SEGA logo. How many logos are there, 10?
Shinji in water? Nightmare? He's asking help from a dead Asuka, stop it. Whoops, boobies DID HE JUST WHACK OFF TO A DEAD GIRL. HAND FULL O CUM SAYS "YES".
So thats the Human Instrumentality Project, all humanity becomes one. Ok explanations. Thank youuuu. And thats what they needed the Lance for.
NERV invasion time!
More mom hacking. :unsmigghh:
What is Lilith? Thats the same thing Kaworu was talking about. Oh asuka isnt dead? Dead enough to pilot an Eva though. Come on. Aha theyre just gonna hide her. Man, Rei just loves to float around in yellow liquids. Holy crap this army invasion is a brutal slaughter. Shinji with that sulking! Aaah so thats who shut off power in that episode, these army guys, so they could find the HQ. Misato saving Shinji GJ! He's back with MORE SULK. Sulklord, lord of sulking.
Bomb and then Rain of Fire! Nice.
Mankind is 18th angel huh. Plot twiiiist. Haha Asukas Eva is her mother???! New karate move: Boat block. Helicopter wrestling! White bat monsters? These are evas? Eva angels :o Wow theyve got freaky faces.
Misato got hit! Man shinji looks extremely torn up about killing Kaworu. Haha kiss and "we'll do the rest when you get back", this show :golfclap:. Whup, she died.

So well animated fight. Nice kills. Head spikes ahahaha. Haha that scientist girl's mom chose her lover over her daugther! Was that MAGI unit the one which was her as a woman? That is hosed up and a nice but sad ending to her story. No happy endings in sight!
STOP. CRYING. CRYBABY. She did it she killed all of them. Lance? The gently caress? No happy ending here either omg. Haha they all regenerated trollololol. Eating her oh gawd intestines disgusting. She dead. This is morbid. Omg Unit01 devil face is tripping balls. Wow that is one disgusting eva corpse.

Hah they're doing it episodical, nice!
Maybe this ending won't suck! Actually it's already 100x better.

26:
Her arm just fell off. Boob entry? Wtfuck. Lance is back! B..Back to point at his throat I guess. Seele chant. This is on drugs. Evas forming tree of life. The explosion is an eye?? No it is an egg now.
YES gently caress you Gendo finally someone standing up to you. Gmornin Adam. Oh those 7 eyes were just a mask? Hahaha Rei became an angel. Floating through matter and all. Kaworu face now. This is on crack.
Ok he is building a sand castle. And now he is alone. Is that a sun between two tits? This whole scene is just hosed up. What is the point of this scene. Misato loving and talking about feeling wanted. Holy poo poo this asuka and shinji talkscene. "I need help help me" "No". He's strangling her. Its like an LCD trip now.

Gigantic Rei.
Humanity doomed because shinji has mental issues. The gently caress is
Everyone going poof. Being happ = exploding into yellow liquid, I never knew
Better to be one entity than to feel lonely eh
So the accident with Yui was the Eva freaked out and ate her. Ok Gendos words now make him seem like less of a cock.
Orgasmical lance insertin who the gently caress animated this, who designed this, this is [pick your drug combination] kinds of hosed up.
Poof goes the world.
This is on heroin
What are my eyes seeing
"If our hearts are separated then the AT fields will hurt us again" deep poo poo
R...real life?
I am watching a cinema hall. I am watching a movie which is watching a movie hall.
Words are words. :words: I understand nothing
A sea of the primordial soup of life sounds like a nice place to be.
Yes he is undoing it! World is a bleeding disco cube. No wait thats the egg.
This is so deep and so on. These words are deep
Rei head falling onto the planet is so drat creepy
This is a drugged up gore fest.
That halfcut rei face. The world looks like Hell now. Saturn-ring of blood. Wow. i was expecting everyone to reappear but instead there is crosses and crucified things and blood everywhere.
HE IS STILL STRANGLING ASUKA. WHY. Haha what the gently caress kind of ending was that.

Thus concludes the Eva watching, my mind is melted now, I think I need to go for a walk.

No one gives a gently caress about the plot dude, did you even notice how pretty it was and well done the music and sound work was? That's what's important.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm actually rewatching EoE right now and fuuuuuck I forgot how brutal Asuka getting torn apart was. :stonk:

e: Jesus, Shinji loving snaps when he sees Unit 02. That loving screaming :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I had my mother watch Rebuild. She seemed to like it.

EDIT: She's a psychologist. Maybe that helped.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 21, 2014

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

BattleCattle posted:

I had my mother watch Rebuild. She seemed to like it.

EDIT: She's a psychologist. Maybe that helped.

Have her watch the series and End of Eva and post her reactions in this thread.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Two Worlds posted:

Have her watch the series and End of Eva and post her reactions in this thread.

I would, but she lives quite a while away, and I can only see her a day or two at a time. I'd rather our limited time together was spent on things other than anime: Rebuild was a special case, since it's in a very digestible 2-hour-per-view form.

Also, I let my brother borrow my box set, so he'd have something to watch in Korea. His reaction was very much what you'd expect.

":aaaaa:"

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Seriously man, we could probably do a whole video series on YouTube just filming people's reactions to Evangelion.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Kids React To: Evangelion

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I started dating someone, and they mentioned to me that they had acquired NGE and are going in almost completely blind. They know that it gets hosed up towards the end and that Madoka is sorta vaguely like it but other than that and me telling them to keep me updated on their reactions to it, they have no clue what they're getting into. :getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I started dating someone, and they mentioned to me that they had acquired NGE and are going in almost completely blind. They know that it gets hosed up towards the end and that Madoka is sorta vaguely like it but other than that and me telling them to keep me updated on their reactions to it, they have no clue what they're getting into. :getin:

You should be watching it alongside them to watch the reactions in realtime dude

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Now Blisse has caught up, (minus Rebuilds) this is a good time to drop that awesome video about Asuka's biggest fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvIn0mdXtY

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

Now Blisse has caught up, (minus Rebuilds) this is a good time to drop that awesome video about Asuka's biggest fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzvIn0mdXtY

Hey, that woman sounds familiar.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

BattleCattle posted:

Hey, that woman sounds familiar.

She has an actual official custom made plug suit. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

She has an actual official custom made plug suit. :v:

That's amazing! She IS a huge fan!

Edit: Oh, that's where I know her from! Gamera 3!

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 23, 2014